National Football League Thread

cmgravekeeper

11 minutes ago, kidson2004 said:

What surprised me the most is that Marvin Lewis was "supposed" to walk away from his gig in Cincy, only to see management give him an extension! That man has some unusual luck. 

Probably what helped keep him is there former assistants Jay Gruden and Hue Jackson weren’t available, cause I imagine they were very big on getting them back as coach, also should be noted Paul Guenther is leaving Lewis’s staff

Any Superbowl predictions out there?

On the NFC side, I'm feelin' the Saints.  They're kinda the only team with "the complete package".  The Eagles, Rams and Viks all have QB's who've never (or in Foles case barely) experienced high pressure, playoff football.  The Falcons are too up and down and Carolina has to play the Saints in round 1 (right?), which I think they'll lose.  The Saints have the defense, running game and, most importantly, a seasoned top tier QB to go all the way.

AFC, Patriots... ugh.

I have difficulty disagreeing with the Patriots as the AFC representitive.  I wouldn't be shocked if the AFC Championship Game was Jacksonville-New England, however, in spite of the consensus that Pittsburgh is going to get there.

As for the NFC?  I'm not very confident that the Saints even make it to the NFC Championship Game unless they get lucky and the Falcons upset the Rams.  New Orleans can beat Minnesota, but they aren't the same team on the road and the only good team they managed to beat away from home was Carolina.  (And I'm not sold that Carolina is a good team.)  They can beat Philadelphia, because Nick Foles isn't going to beat anyone.  But I'm not sure they can win in Los Angeles and I'm really skeptical they can win in Minnesota.

If you put a gun to my head, I'm going to pick the Rams because the Super Bowl is in Minnesota this year and a team has never made it to a Super Bowl in their own stadium.  But the Vikings have a real shot to break that jinx.

No predictions for me. I've been nervous since November for the playoffs, which is typical for a jaded MN fan.

I was too young for witnessing four Super Bowl losses but I clearly remember the four NFC championships defeats in my memory. The Darren Nelson drop, Gary Andersen's only FG miss of the season, 44-donut and the Bounty game still feel like gut punches all these years later. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, skidmarkgn said:

Any Superbowl predictions out there?

As a Vikings fan, you know where I'm going. I agree with you guys, though. Their biggest threats are the Rams and Saints. If they both lose this weekend, I'm feeling really good about the Vikings' chances. They have an experienced head coach and a veteran quarterback (two things that the Rams don't), and a young, dangerous defense. So do the Saints. Drew Brees will do his thing, but US Bank Stadium is going to be rocking.

As for the AFC... *sigh* Why bother?

@PerryToxteth You forgot Blai...nevermind. That was just wildcard weekend. I've been waiting for the other shoe to drop too. Maybe we'll get lucky and they'll keep forgetting they're cursed until next year.

Edited by Cassylvania
  • Like 1

Great Comeback from the Tennessee Titans after being down 21-3 at halftime, a huge day from Derrick Henry with over 150 rushing yards and as stated above the Mariota td pass to himself was cool, making it the first ever of its kind in the playoffs and the 2nd since 1997

Andy Reid is starting to creep up into Marty Schottenheimer territory here.  It's not Marvin Lewis bad, because he's won some playoff games and has far more regular season success, but he's starting to lose an awful lot of playoff games.

Though I suppose it says something about Andy Reid much as it says something about pitchers who lose 20 games in a single season -- that he's good enough to keep getting opportunities, even if he's not good enough to convert them.

This replay bullshit is outta control.  I was under the impression that replay was supposed to be used to fix OBVIOUS mistakes, what I'm seeing, however is them micro-managing tiny details and holding the f--king game hostage to check frame by frame images for evidence that the ball moved a millimeter while a receiver was going to the ground.  There's a huge difference between "making sure you get it right" and checking every single last detail in super slo-mo for 10 minutes when you're under 2 minutes.  Seems like the last two minutes of each half  take longer then the previous two quarters before it.  

• Like 2

Well you had a nice season Rams, but alas the costly special team mistakes and costly drops tonight cost you in the loss against Atlanta, who can avenge some ghosts with this playoff win and now go on to Philadelphia next week.

On 1/3/2018 at 2:29 AM, MidnightDragon said:

As a Bengals fan, I am just so done with the current regime. It's beyond ridiculous that we've extended Marv. I don't have the energy or words to go into why this franchise is so dysfunctional, but this decision here should be a pretty good indicator.

As for the wildcards, I figured the Falcons would probably beat the Rams. LA's a young team, so it's not too surprising to see they baulked under the big lights. They'll be back. Fancy Atlanta to beat Philly and face the Vikings in the NFCCG.

The Chiefs blew it yesterday, but really the AFC this weekend is just to see who loses to Pittsburgh and NE next weekend. I can't see any chance of the Titans/Bills/Jags beating either of those two.

3 hours ago, christhedog3 said:

The Chiefs blew it yesterday, but really the AFC this weekend is just to see who loses to Pittsburgh and NE next weekend. I can't see any chance of the Titans/Bills/Jags beating either of those two.

True, but stranger things have happened.

• Like 2

Well The Bills vs Jags was a real defensive Battle with the Jags winning 10-3, with the only TD coming on 4th down and with Bortles rushing for more yards then he threw. 

also Jacksonville and Buffalo’s 13 combined points were fewest ever in an NFL wild-card game, beating the 49ers’ 14-0 wild-card win over Eagles in 1996.

9 hours ago, christhedog3 said:

As for the wildcards, I figured the Falcons would probably beat the Rams. LA's a young team, so it's not too surprising to see they baulked under the big lights. 

Yeah, they're currently way too you young to have lived up to the unreasonable expectations everyone was putting on them already, there really is no substitute for experience.  That being said though, in the next 2-4 years I fully expect to see them in at least one or two NFC title games and possibly a Superbowl.  

Edited by skidmarkgn

My thoughts on this weekend:

• The Rams will bounce back. I would say they have the best chance of creating a long-term dynasty of any team in the NFC.
  • Shame on the Chiefs for whatever the hell that second half was.
  • Good on the Titans. I doubted them, like everybody else, and they found a way to overcome an 18-point deficit.
  • I'm doubling down on my doubt for the Titans going into next week.
  • The Bills deserved to lose. That was an ugly showing that was within reach the entire time.
  • Brees will go as far as his defense lets him. This worries me.

Getting excited for next week. Skol, Vikes!

Well that was a great way to finish Wild Card weekend with the Saints beating the Panthers 31-26, truly a great playoff game.

NFL Divisional round games and Times all listed from Eastern timezone

Saturday 13th January

Falcons vs Eagles 4:35PM  NBC

Titans vs Patriots 8:15PM  CBS

Sunday 14th January 

Jags Vs Steelers 1:05PM  CBS

Saints vs Vikings 4:40PM FOX

Edited by Jare

On 1/2/2018 at 11:59 PM, Jare said:

Probably what helped keep him is there former assistants Jay Gruden and Hue Jackson weren’t available, cause I imagine they were very big on getting them back as coach, also should be noted Paul Guenther is leaving Lewis’s staff

The devil you know, I guess.

Lewis should have been out ages ago, IMHO, but I think you're right that they're scared to make a complete coaching shift.

11 hours ago, Cassylvania said:

• Good on the Titans. I doubted them, like everybody else, and they found a way to overcome an 18-point deficit.

Nobody quite disappoints like the KC Chiefs.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, skidmarkgn said:

Yeah, they're currently way too you young to have lived up to the unreasonable expectations everyone was putting on them already, there really is no substitute for experience.  That being said though, in the next 2-4 years I fully expect to see them in at least one or two NFC title games and possibly a Superbowl.  

Yeah I agree. Great defence, good Head Coach, and big playmakers on either side of the ball. Gurley and Donald are two of the best in the league, so as long as they give Goff some good targets to throw to they'll do great. the fact they led the league in points this year is very promising.