National Football League Thread

cmgravekeeper

Cleanin'.  Fuckin'.  House.

I was worried that they were just going to promote Cable after letting go of Bevell but that concern is also no more.  I mean, last year, I get it.  They had nobody at the O-line position.  Nobody.  This year however, they extended Britt, they signed Joeckel for an 8 million dollar 1 year contract and traded for Brown.  They even moved the disaster that was Ifedi back to his original college position.  They addressed the damn problem and nothing changed, Wilson was still running for his life almost every play as soon as the ball was snapped.  The next logical solution, cut the problem at its root.

Kind of a bummer that it happened the year Graham has one foor out the door though.  Maybe a new coordinator would actually use him (outside of the redzone) the way he should be used.  Anyways, I really hope someone out there comes in with a little creativity. Bevell's predictability was getting beyond infuriating.

Pretty sure the clock is on Richard too.

10 hours ago, skidmarkgn said:

Cleanin'.  Fuckin'.  House.

I was worried that they were just going to promote Cable after letting go of Bevell but that concern is also no more.  I mean, last year, I get it.  They had nobody at the O-line position.  Nobody.  This year however, they extended Britt, they signed Joeckel for an 8 million dollar 1 year contract and traded for Brown.  They even moved the disaster that was Ifedi back to his original college position.  They addressed the damn problem and nothing changed, Wilson was still running for his life almost every play as soon as the ball was snapped.  The next logical solution, cut the problem at its root.

Kind of a bummer that it happened the year Graham has one foor out the door though.  Maybe a new coordinator would actually use him (outside of the redzone) the way he should be used.  Anyways, I really hope someone out there comes in with a little creativity. Bevell's predictability was getting beyond infuriating.

Pretty sure the clock is on Richard too.

Refreshing the O coaches is a good thing.  Cable wasn't getting it done (so glad he didnt get bumped to OC), and they haven't been getting OL difference makers.  Its too bad they will be shopping for a new DC too.  I doubt we will see carroll past 1-2 more seasons.

Edited by dmsleight

Eagles escape past the Falcons 15-10 in a really tough hard fought game and get to host the NFC Championship game,  with Nick Foles finally coming through with his best game since the 2013 season, whilst Atlanta won't get a chance at Superbowl redemption this season

To all you Seattle Seahawks fans on this message thread, my condolences to you regarding the hiring of Brian Schottenheimer as Offensive Coordinator for your team.  Unless he's had a complete brain transfusion or something in the past decade, he probably won't be any better with your club than he was in the same job for the New York Jets.  And he sucked in that job for the New York Jets.

• Like 1

Well how about that, The Jacksonville Jaguars beating the Steelers again 45-42 to advance to the AFC Championship and to think they only scored 10 points in there win last week. For Pittsburgh the questions now will be was the Ben's last game and did they overlook the Jags and already look ahead to The Patriots.

28 minutes ago, Avatar_Of_Battle said:

Wow I'm 3 for 3 so far. If the Vikings win like I want then I'll be 4 for 4. 

sounds like you should be in Vegas then :P  and you got your wish yesterday with Tennessee losing, bet your cousin now doesn't say there the best team now :P 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Jare said:

sounds like you should be in Vegas then :P  and you got your wish yesterday with Tennessee losing, bet your cousin now doesn't say there the best team now :P 

I have terrible luck so Vegas is definitely not a destination of mine lol. I just had one good streak this weekend. xD

No...he'll forever maintain fanboy status for some reason. :S

WOW that final play in the Saints vs Vikings, just WOW, truly was a fantastic game 

so that means these are the teams/times all eastern  for the Championship games 

AFC Championship

Jags vs Pats 3:05PM CBS

NFC Championship

Vikings vs Eagles 6:40PM FOX

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Avatar_Of_Battle said:

Holy fucking shit that was nuts. Every member of the Saints has got to be wondering if the hand of Odin came down and secured that win for the Vikings.

It could be worse:  You could have bet the Saints early in the week and taken the points before the spread jumped.  Several days ago, you could have gotten New Orleans +2.5 or New Orleans +3.5.  And if you had either of those numbers, you'd still win your wager if Minnesota wins the game on a long Field Goal.

And if you bet Minnesota -5.5, where the number closed?  You were wishing the Vikings would have kicked the (expletive deleted) Extra Point.

7 minutes ago, acasser said:

It could be worse:  You could have bet the Saints early in the week and taken the points before the spread jumped.  Several days ago, you could have gotten New Orleans +2.5 or New Orleans +3.5.  And if you had either of those numbers, you'd still win your wager if Minnesota wins the game on a long Field Goal.

And if you bet Minnesota -5.5, where the number closed?  You were wishing the Vikings would have kicked the (expletive deleted) Extra Point.

Not gonna lie...I never understood the numbers behind betting. You quite honest just spoke to me in another language haha. xD (with my shit luck I decided early on in my life gambling would be something I steered clear of.)

That had to hurt.  In my eyes, that game was, for all intents and purposes, the NFC championship game (either one of those teams are going to kill the Eagles) and the Saints just gave it away.  Can't remember his name, think it was maybe Morgan?  But man, he just added another one to the list.  Seahawks not running it on the one, the Falcons knocking themselves out of field goal range which prevented them from putting the Pats away and now the whiff with 10 seconds left in the game.  Insult to injury too, he not only completely whiffed the hit but the only guy he took out was also a Saint, who maybe could have had a chance to make a play.

There's been too many games, in too many decades, where I've watched my Vikes suffer defeat on crazy plays. For once, it was nice to have it the other way around.   :yay:

Brees carved our defense up like it was a roast turkey! 24 points in 17 minutes is pathetic, coming from one of the top D's in the league. That's why I was hoping to face the Panthers this round. I hope that Foles will not have a repeat performance. 

• Like 1

Marcus Williams was going for the posterizing SportsCenter hit.  And as the adage goes, "Be careful what you wish for":  Marcus Williams made SportsCenter with that play, and there was a posterizing that happened.  Just not the way he envisioned it happening.

He should have settled for wrapping Diggs up and pushing him out of bounds.  Sure, it's not an ideal situation, because Minnesota will have a shot at roughly a 50-yard Field Goal after that spot, but it's better than whiffing completely and blowing the game entirely.  But what can you expect from an NFL that doesn't practice proper tackling technique any more than they practice good offensive line play?

• Like 1

Researched this Schottenheimer guy and seriously, just put a gun in my mouth.  They may as well just trade Wilson now so his talents can be used correctly with another forward thinking team like the Rams.  

I'm starting to lose my confidence with Carroll and his old man stubbornness.  He just wants to run run run and doesn't seem to be capable of even entertaining the thought of stretching defenses out and trying to build around his freakin' all-star QB... which means Schottenheimer is his guy.  Every press conference this year it was the same thing, the media asked what went wrong and all he could say was "we gotta find a way to establish the run, we gotta find a way to establish the run" over and over.  After 10 or so weeks, most people would have figured out they suck at running but nope, week 15 finishes and when asked how they're going to try and handle the Cards... "we gotta establish the run".  

Unfortunately, they don't have a team that's built for that.  All their running backs are made of glass, the O-line is still (at least right now) a joke and they acquire guys like Percy Harvin and Jimmy Graham in exchange for draft picks and linemen.  Gotta wonder how Wilson feels now too.  He had to think maybe finally he'll have a playcaller who's going to play to his skillset instead of making him improvising busted plays and instead, he just gets another old man mentality in charge to make sure nothing changes. 

Edited by skidmarkgn

I'm going to admit something on here. I cried last night. I know it's just a game and the end result doesn't really matter, but what the Vikings did...was the greatest thing I've ever seen on national TV. I must have watched that play a hundred times now. I've watched it from different angles, from different broadcasts, from reactions of people all around the world, and I still get chills every time. When Diggs caught that ball and had a clear field to the end zone, the entire stadium erupted. That was DECADES of heartbreaking losses being lifted. I don't think it could have been any more magical.

Making the players come back onto the field to kick that meaningless PAT is something I hope the league changes next year, but that image of Case leading the entire stadium in the skol chant is something I want permanently framed onto my wall.

• Like 2