Sword Art Online Fan Thread

Im2Fast_4U

I searched for a thread devoted to SAO, couldn't find one. If there is, my apologies. 

After derping through the forums for not too long, you can begin to see there's a lot of anime fans on here, a lot more than I thought possible. I'm quite amazed.

Looking for SAO fans that want to discuss anything SAO related... OTPs, ships, favorite moments/episodes, the current season (airing on Toonami, not sure what Asia is getting... I always watch it as it comes here to the States), and anything else under the sun possible.

Let's kick things off:

Anyone else feel the same way as I do? As a gamer, I feel such a great connection to SAO... I become emotionally attached and enthralled in the show. I feel as if my introvert self can actually relate to them as people, and it holds a magnificently great piece of my heart, and always will, just because I can understand what the characters feel. Anyone?

Feel free to kick off any discussions.

• Like 2

Silica-chan best girl.

Silica is one of the better characters, and I certainly like her. She certainly delivered in the "little girl needing protection/damsel in distress" department. She's got a little bit of spunk too, and she actually fights (moreso in ALO than Aincrad)

The shows perfect.

My new top list is : 

#1 SAO

#2 Higurashi ( kai specifically )

#3 White album 2

Imo people who don't SAO just don't see the immense amount of mmo references. I played mmo's and japanese mmo's for an insanely long time and this show did everything perfectly in that domain. Imo Kirito and Asuna are one of the best couples in anime, and I mostly watch romance anime's.

What I liked too is that Kirito is pretty op right ? Well there's always explanations as to why he' so strong, and everything is very believable from a mmo gamer's PoV. I usually don't rate shonens very high even though they have their moments, simply because most of the time I just don't like the main character's or they tend to be overpowered just because "There the chosen one", but not Kirito, he's just a guy who played beta, and if anyone played beta in mmo's, that's exactly what happens, your level 15 and the beaters are level 50 already.

I think this show has nothing wrong with it at all, the weakest arc imo is maybe the GGO arc but it was still good because Sinon.

First arc was the best imo but second arc of season 1 had the most hated villain ever OMG! And second arc of S2 had YUUKI!!!

Edited by Tomoko Kuroki
  • Like 1

Silica-chan best girl.

Didn't think so :P

OP, what have you done ?! xD

Anyway, I shared the same feeling, then the Aincrad arc ended... I watched Fairy Dance and enjoyed it, but it wasn't that good. Then Phantom Bullet came and dragged the anime into the depth. Excalibur and Mother Rosario felt more or less like Fairy Dance, I really hope (but people told me it will) that the 3rd season will give me back the feeling I had with the Aincrad arc.

OP, what have you done ?! xD

Anyway, I shared the same feeling, then the Aincrad arc ended... I watched Fairy Dance and enjoyed it, but it wasn't that good. Then Phantom Bullet came and dragged the anime into the depth. Excalibur and Mother Rosario felt more or less like Fairy Dance, I really hope (but people told me it will) that the 3rd season will give me back the feeling I had with the Aincrad arc.

I definitely agree with you there. Aincrad was by far the best, but then again, the original is always best. ALO was alright, I agree. Certainly didn't like it too much. The whole Leefa and Kirito thing didn't do it for me. Not really into cousin love... But the ending of ALO I actually did like. Phantom Bullet was very good IMO. Sinon was a great addition, and her story was very interesting. Excalibur and Mother Rosario were similar to Fairy Dance, but I liked them nonetheless. Especially Mother Rosario because, well... Floor 22. Really looking forward to the 3rd season too, though haven't heard much about it. 

I though SAO was okay. The first 14 episodes were the best, after that it became more and more drama which i wasn't that into. I couldn't really empathize for Asuna & Kazuto most of the time, so the anime became pretty stale for me. Season 2 started off pretty solid, even though it had that stupid gender bender thing going on. But the biggest problem i had with season 2 was that after the death gun arc, the rest kind of felt like filler. They just completed a few quests... Nothing really going on plotwise. I dropped season 2 after the whole excalibur quests.

I just think that the anime could have been "favourite anime material" if they would just have kept the anime evolving around the Sword art online game itself, with the imminent death threat hanging above the main cast their heads. Instead they decided on focusing on the drama and romance between Kazuto & Asuna, the awkwardly parenting sub plot with yui (even though she was seriously cute) and the obligatory harem note.

Edited by xZoneHunter
  • Like 1

But the ending of ALO I actually did like. 

Agreed, but they would've really F*cked up if they didn't do the ending that basically everyone expected since the beginning of Fairy Dance :P

Phantom Bullet was very good IMO. Sinon was a great addition, and her story was very interesting. 

To me, Phantom Bullet was completely unnecessary... It had basically nothing to do with the story that they had created up until that point. As for Sinon, I like her in game design, but again, to me she's an unnecessary adition to his harem. He already chose Asuna, why did they have to put in another girl ?

felt like filler.

It was filler :P

Edited by Vivify-King
  • Like 1

I though SAO was okay. The first 14 episodes were the best, after that it became more and more drama which i wasn't that into. I couldn't really empathize for Asuna & Kazuto most of the time, so the anime became pretty stale for me. Season 2 started off pretty solid, even though it had that stupid gender bender thing going on. But the biggest problem i had with season 2 was that after the death gun arc, the rest kind of felt like filler. They just completed a few quests... Nothing really going on plotwise. I dropped season 2 after the whole excalibur quests.

I just think that the anime could have been "favourite anime material" if they would just have kept the anime evolving around the Sword art online game itself, with the imminent death threat hanging above the main cast their heads. Instead they decided on focusing on the drama and romance between Kazuto & Asuna, the awkwardly parenting sub plot with yui (even though she was seriously cute) and the obligatory harem note.

You've hit the nail on the head. The weakest part of SAO was when nothing was at stake. The first season was great (especially the first half) and I liked GGO aswell (other than it being very very similar to the first ALO arc) but the episodes in which there was actually no real world threat and it was pretty much just "kids playing a game", were really weak. I dropped it after the excalibur arc aswell (or maybe even during, cant remember).

• Like 1

I forgot about ships...

Well, objectively there is only ONE OTP and everyone should know it.

It's Kirito x Sachi. There's literally NO one else that Kirito should have ended up with...

Though, there is definitely one other pair that is within my heart =D And that is Yuuki x Asuna.

DO NOT OPEN UNLESS YOU SAW BOTH SEASONS, SERIOUS SPOILERS

Yea, for some reason I like ships with the dead characters...

Also, people seem to be looking forward to S3... well... you definitely HAVE something to look forward =D

What I liked too is that Kirito is pretty op right ? Well there's always explanations as to why he' so strong, and everything is very believable from a mmo gamer's PoV. I usually don't rate shonens very high even though they have their moments, simply because most of the time I just don't like the main character's or they tend to be overpowered just because "There the chosen one", but not Kirito, he's just a guy who played beta, and if anyone played beta in mmo's, that's exactly what happens, your level 15 and the beaters are level 50 already.

Well, there is that thing that Kirito had administrator-level rights while other beta testers definitely didn't =D

I mean, if you look at the hierarchy of SAO privileges it's like this:

Creator-level: Kayaba

Administrator-level: Kirito, PoH

Cardinal System: Yui

User rights: Everyone else

Unexpected, right?! =D

Why do we need a form for this..?  :dunno:

Why do we need "the worst anime" thread? :P

Why do we need a form for this..?  :dunno:

Now, to answer your question (I believe this thread would be the best to post it) as to why I like SAO (or rather some parts)

Now, I'm probs going to get a lot of hate for it, but my cup of care is empty right now...

Simple answer: because I'm a sucker for romance focussed anime and SAO is one of the few animes where: the MC isn't dense as f**k, the MC isn't a pervert, the MC actually chooses a girl and dares to stand up for her, they actually get into a serious relation and they actually keep it going !

I know the romance isn't for everyone and it may feel rushed for some people, but having these elements all in one anime is rather rare...

• Like 2

Now, to answer your question (I believe this thread would be the best to post it) as to why I like SAO (or rather some parts)

Now, I'm probs going to get a lot of hate for it, but my cup of care is empty right now...

Simple answer: because I'm a sucker for romance focussed anime and SAO is one of the few animes where: the MC isn't dense as f**k, the MC isn't a pervert, the MC actually chooses a girl and dares to stand up for her, they actually get into a serious relation and they actually keep it going !

I know the romance isn't for everyone and it may feel rushed for some people, but having these elements all in one anime is rather rare...

I feel the exact same way. I feel as if Asuna and Kazuto are that perfect couple that any compassionate and caring person wants to be exactly like. Completely understand and totally agree. Couldn't have said it much better than myself.

• Like 1

I feel the exact same way. I feel as if Asuna and Kazuto are that perfect couple that any compassionate and caring person wants to be exactly like. Completely understand and totally agree. Couldn't have said it much better than myself.

Sachi > Asuna :P

Since I'm on it... My list: Silica > Yuuki > Sachi > Yui > Philia > Alice > Liz > Sinon > Strea > Asuna > Leafa > Argo

I would include Seven and Rain but I would rather play the game first xD

I don't play MMO's but I liked the idea of the show. Also, I liked the idea of the "beater" concept and people getting mad about it while having to play alongside. 

I would definitely have enjoyed it more if the first 14 episodes had been fleshed out. It just felt too short. ALO was ok and I enjoyed the theme of it but not nearly as much as the first half.

I haven't seen SAOII yet. :(

Hopefully Netflix gets it soon.

I know, right ? They deliver the image of what a couple is supposed to be like where a lot of other anime fail horribly in that aspect.

But, given your avatar and sig, I knew you'd back me up :) High five buddy  :highfive:

Sachi > Asuna  :P

I still don't know how you keep clinging on to Sachi as best ship with Kirito... She had like 2 episodes ? On top of that, in the anime, you aren't even sure if they even had feelings for eachother in that way...

With all due respect of course, you ship whoever you like, I just don't get why you dislike Asuna so much.

• Like 1

I still don't know how you keep clinging on to Sachi as best ship with Kirito... She had like 2 episodes ? On top of that, in the anime, you aren't even sure if they even had feelings for eachother in that way...

http://www.taptaptaptaptap.net/sao-qna-kirito/=)

Light Novel contains more about their relationship :)

She was the first one and she was the reason why Kirito became himself.

And to be fair, if Sachi stayed in the cast, I'm pretty sure she would be Kirito's wife.

I just don't get why you dislike Asuna so much.

Hollow Fragment is partial reason (yea, don't play it if you want to keep liking Asuna xD) and how she's made to be perfect... more than character, she's like Kirito's accessory...

That's also one reason why I like Alicization, because Asuna isn't ever-present (yea, you guys may not like S3 because of that :) Btw, talking about S3, I actually read it could be Winter 2016 or Summer 2016 o.O)

Edited by Satoshi Ookami

I don't like SAO so I may be biased, but I think Asuna is extremely generic and boring. It's been a while since I watched it but their relationship looks boring af too, especially in season 2. Boring ass conversations, always reminiscing about the past and licking each others ass aaah damn I hate both of them. At least some other heroines look like fun. Oh and Asuna goes from hero to zero which is never good.