Best graphics on ps3

Hocking_1988

The Last of Us is, by far, one of the best looking games on the PS3. In fact, the difference between it and the PS4 version is very small (graphically).

God of War 3 is really good in the visual department. Gran Turismo games have great graphics. Trine has a great artistic style. Rayman games are gorgeous, in my opinion.

I can't believe how some people consider FF13 to have fantastic graphics. In my opinion, it's what I call fake graphics. Graphics that make you think they're good, but really, they're quite mediocre. Graphics become very noticeable if all the assets are interactive. In the Last of Us, when you shoot a window, it crashes. You shoot a bucket, it flips through the air. Enemies stagger to the left if you hit them in their left shoulder. It's graphically extremely detailed and animated. GTA 5 has fantastic graphics in that same right, with explosions left and right, cars flying through the sky, all based on your personal input. FF13 is absolutely nothing. It's a dead CG painting. Nothing is interactive. Nothing happens. Nothing moves. It's a bunch of CG panoramic static images made in photoshop. It's no more graphically impressive than FF8 was. The only thing that held 8 back was the power of the PS1, but the images themselves were the same quality. Enemies don't react to your input/attacks. They're just an animated thing that always acts the exact same way; whether you set it on fire or slice it with a sword. In Uncharted, Nathan gets wet/dirty depending on his surroundings. Lightning in FF13 looks squeeky-CGI-clean, no matter what. It's boring and lazy.

Time and Eternity.

You're not serious, right? lol. That game looks like garbage. As far as anime graphics goes, I'd say the Naruto games are a far better example of hand-drawn anime done right.

Edited by Paige-ID

I can't believe how some people consider FF13 to have fantastic graphics. In my opinion, it's what I call fake graphics. Graphics that make you think they're good, but really, they're quite mediocre. Graphics become very noticeable if all the assets are interactive. In the Last of Us, when you shoot a window, it crashes. You shoot a bucket, it flips through the air. Enemies stagger to the left if you hit them in their left shoulder. It's graphically extremely detailed and animated. GTA 5 has fantastic graphics in that same right, with explosions left and right, cars flying through the sky, all based on your personal input. FF13 is absolutely nothing. It's a dead CG painting. Nothing is interactive. Nothing happens. Nothing moves. It's a bunch of CG panoramic static images made in photoshop. It's no more graphically impressive than FF8 was. The only thing that held 8 back was the power of the PS1, but the images themselves were the same quality. Enemies don't react to your input/attacks. They're just an animated thing that always acts the exact same way; whether you set it on fire or slice it with a sword. In Uncharted, Nathan gets wet/dirty depending on his surroundings. Lightning in FF13 looks squeeky-CGI-clean, no matter what. It's boring and lazy.

A game can look good without flippable buckets, you know.

Final Fantasy XIII is like a really pretty painting.  Just because it isn't doing much, doesn't mean it doesn't look good.  You can argue it's not a very good game though. xD

Edited by Dreakon13

A game can look good without flippable buckets, you know.

Final Fantasy XIII is like a really pretty painting.  Just because it isn't doing much, doesn't mean it doesn't look good.  You can argue it's not a very good game though. xD

But people have always used it as some kind of bar that has been set. Set for what? Photoshopped panoramas? Anybody on deviantart can make those. It'd be like someone making a slideshow on PS3 with a bunch of concept art, and saying that game is the leading example of great graphics. It's just a bunch of still pictures.

I see graphics as animation. A painting can be very pretty, yes. However, a painting that moves, is organic, and feels alive is (in my opinion) much more graphically impressive. Especially on a medium that centers around interactivity.

And yes, I personally thought the game had very few redeeming qualities, lol. But that's a whole different story.

But people have always used it as some kind of bar that has been set. Set for what? Photoshopped panoramas? Anybody on deviantart can make those. It'd be like someone making a slideshow on PS3 with a bunch of concept art, and saying that game is the leading example of great graphics. It's just a bunch of still pictures.

I see graphics as animation. A painting can be very pretty, yes. However, a painting that moves, is organic, and feels alive is (in my opinion) much more graphically impressive. Especially on a medium that centers around interactivity.

And yes, I personally thought the game had very few redeeming qualities, lol. But that's a whole different story.

Considering the backdrop of most areas in Final Fantasy XIII were largely rendered in 3D, I would disagree with "Photoshopped panoramas".  There was some effort put into it.  I mean, how could you not be awe-struck when this popped up on screen?

It's an argument of which is more important graphically... a physics engine and buckets of polish, or interesting new places to look at and some artistic direction to back it up.

Rarely you find a game with both (and those that do are usually beloved xD).  Given the Playstation's love of anime, I can understand why many would clamor for the latter.  I'd probably agree with you personally, but that doesn't make FFXIII any less pretty.

EDIT: Let me put it this way, there are plenty of RPG's on the PS3 that have similar "polish" issues where animations are stiff and environments aren't interact-able... but few hit the "highs" in terms of scenery and "graphics" that FFXIII did.  Why do you think that is?

Edited by Dreakon13

Considering the backdrop of most areas in Final Fantasy XIII were largely rendered in 3D, I would disagree with "Photoshopped panoramas".  There was some effort put into it.  I mean, how could you not be awe-struck when this popped up on screen?

Because I saw that kind of quality on the PS2 already: http://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/finalfantasy/images/f/fd/Macalania_Pond.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20140108162900 Games have had those pretty backgrounds since the PS1. The only thing that changed since then is the resolution upgrade, but the source material has always been just as "pretty".

EDIT: Let me put it this way, there are plenty of RPG's on the PS3 that have similar "polish" issues where animations are stiff and environments aren't interact-able... but few hit the "highs" in terms of scenery and "graphics" that FFXIII did.  Why do you think that is?

Because those games most likely spent more money on actually making a game with some flesh on its bones, as opposed to the hollow shell FF13 is, lol. I think I'm dispositioned towards the FF13 praise because I feel like we're taking the bait when we praise it. They polished the hell out of that turd, but at the core it stinks. It's very, very easy to make pretty background images, regardless of how they were rendered in 3D. It's almost a lazy way to make something graphically sufficient. FF13 isn't ugly. I just don't think it's the pinnacle of PS3 graphics.

Edited by Paige-ID

Because I saw that kind of quality on the PS2 already: http://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/finalfantasy/images/f/fd/Macalania_Pond.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20140108162900 Games have had those pretty backgrounds since the PS1. The only thing that changed since then is the resolution upgrade, but the source material has always been just as "pretty".

Because those games most likely spent more money on actually making a game with some flesh on its bones, as opposed to the hollow shell FF13 is, lol. I think I'm dispositioned towards the FF13 praise because I feel like we're taking the bait when we praise it. They polished the hell out of that turd, but at the core it stinks. It's very, very easy to make pretty background images, regardless of how they were rendered in 3D. It's almost a lazy way to make something graphically sufficient. FF13 isn't ugly. I just don't think it's the pinnacle of PS3 graphics.

You keep tossing around words like "background images" and "regardless of how they were rendered in 3D" like you don't really understand what 3D means.  I'm sure you do, but this isn't your best showing.  We get it, you don't like Final Fantasy XIII. xD

EDIT: You have a point with that image from the PS2, that actually does make Final Fantasy XIII seem less impressive.  Though 1920x1080 emulation and texture filters do wonders, don't they?  Some creative artistic direction can cover up other shortcomings, but that doesn't mean it looks bad.  I don't think there's anything wrong with saying Final Fantasy XIII is a damn good looking game for what it is.  There are plenty of other, better reasons to beat it up, if you must.

Edited by Dreakon13

You keep tossing around words like "background images" and "regardless of how they were rendered in 3D" like you don't really understand what 3D means.  I'm sure you do, but this isn't your best showing.  We get it, you don't like Final Fantasy XIII. xD

EDIT: You have a point with that image from the PS2, that actually does make Final Fantasy XIII seem less impressive.  Though 1920x1080 emulation and texture filters do wonders, don't they?  Some creative artistic direction can cover up other shortcomings, but that doesn't mean it looks bad.  I don't think there's anything wrong with saying Final Fantasy XIII is a damn good looking game for what it is.  There are plenty of other, better reasons to beat it up, if you must.

Like I said, FF13 is definitely not ugly. By no means. I just don't think it's the industry standard for graphics, and I have a feeling it fools a lot of people into thinking it is by using pretty static backgrounds. I get that games like Skyrim can't have that because of the size and scope of the map, but FF13 had small corridors. They could've done so much more with it.

I'm actually with both Paige and Dreakon on this. With regards to Paige, I too believe that FFXIII is really overhyped in the graphics department. While I won't say that it looked last gen or anything, I feel it's lazy, particularly from an art direction standpoint. This problem persisted throughout the series. It's been a while since I played FFXIII, so I have no easy example, but if we move to Lightning Returns, a great example is right at the beginning of the game, where the camera focuses on a tear duct. Is it a detailed tear duct? Sure it is. It's probably the single most well-created tear duct I've ever seen in a video game. Unfortunately, it's only a tear duct, and it doesn't cover up the second-rate design of the actual image of the party (nor does it cover up the decidely mediocre graphics seen during actual gameplay).

However, Dreakon is right that there are plenty of other, better, things for which to criticize FFXIII.

But anyway, getting back on topic, I don't know about "best" graphics. The problem with such statements is akin to the problem with talking about "best guitarist" (sure, a guy like Yngwie Malmsteen is technically "better" than, say, Jimi Hendrix, but who wants to listen to this tonal vomit when they can listen to the majesty of this?). However, if we are including things like aesthetic, art direction, etc., the winner for me is Dark Souls. The graphics are a perfect match for the game play, and are incredibly pleasing to the eye because of it.

Technically speaking, everyone who said Gran Turismo 6 was correct. I think that it's got more pixels than any other release on the system..I could be wrong but I don't think I am. I enjoy multiplayer, focusing on racing isn't always the funnest part of the game for me. You might can guess which parts are the most time consuming. It can't even run on the dated machines. Shuts down my backwards compatible one if I try to run it. Definitely one of the better games released all around IMO. :wub: