Favorite Game of All Time That Never Got a Sequel

Bullstomp

7 hours ago, LordFrieza8920 said:

I am curious, but what about the game makes it very enjoyable for you? Never heard much of this game and I am looking for future games to buy this upcoming black friday

It's one of the most immersive medieval RPG I've ever played! You are not a strong warrior, or a famous wizard, you are just the son of a blacksmith, just a human, and you have to live your life progressing with the story, starting from zero. The world feels sooooo alive, with lot of content to do, the attention to the detail of everything in the world is amazing, and how you progress in it is up to you. Of course there is a story you have to follow but it's loaded with different options, sometimes it's overwhelming, and the world and the people react with your actions, you can get lost in the game for weeks and not be bored for a moment.

Just imagine skyrim but instead of fantasy you get realism and instead of being the dragonborn, you are just a regular guy who has to fight to become what they want. 

The game is cheap, I got it with the dlcs included for 9 €, and believe me, soooo worth it. If you like medieval RPGs, check a few gameplays on youtube and give it a try if you like what you see!

Edited by Kefka1986
  • Like 1

Too many to list, or remember all at present, but some notable ones for me are:

• Okami - I know Okamiden exists, which I've played, but it doesn't feel like a "true" sequel, more like a side game. The original Okami remains one of my favourite Zelda-esque adventure games, and I'd kill for a sequel to it
  • Mother/Earthbound - Always felt it kind of a shame that the 3D version of Mother 3 never came to be, though I'm glad it did see the light of day eventually on the GBA. Pity Nintendo seems desperate to keep it from our (official) grasps in the West, but at least there's an excellent fan translation. I'd love to see the Mother/Earthbound officially continued in some form, but I don't think that'll ever come to be.
  • Portal - A new Portal entry would definitely be cool, but you know how the saying goes - Valve can't count to 3.
  • Sly Cooper - Sony seems to have forgotten about this series. Seem to remember a TV series and/or movie being announced years ago, it was supposed to release on a certain date in an October, I think, and then... Nothing. They just quietly cancelled it. Real sad.
  • Devil Summoner: Raidou Kuzunoha - At the very least, even if the universe of Raidou is never revisited, I'd very much like to see a new action RPG in the Megami Tensei universe. That'd be nice Atlus, please do that instead of re-releasing Persona 5 for the 100nth time.
  • Spyro - I'll always feel a smidge of resentment towards the orange bandicoot for getting a 4th game after his remakes, but not my preferred purple dragon...
  • Impossible Creatures - Maybe a bit of an obscure one, but it used to be one of my favourite RTS games back in the day, when I was more into the genre. When it re-released on Steam some years ago, I immediately rebought it and have played it on and off since. It's nice seeing that it still has a small dedicated fanbase that still play the game online, and create mods for it in the form of new maps and creatures. It'd be great seeing a more modern take on this game though.

All that being said, I feel like sometimes it's best that games don't get sequels or entries. Not because I don't want more of them, but because I don't want my memories of them "tainted" in some way, in the event any sequel that does eventually releases ends up being mediocre, or worse, God awful (like Shenmue 3). I'd prefer a series to end on a high note than a lukewarm or atrocious one, it leaves a better taste in my mouth when I reflect back on those games years later, y'know?

Dunno if the OP of this thread is still active, but at least they got their wish for a Brigandine sequel since this thread was made, lol.

12 hours ago, Kefka1986 said:

It's one of the most immersive medieval RPG I've ever played! You are not a strong warrior, or a famous wizard, you are just the son of a blacksmith, just a human, and you have to live your life progressing with the story, starting from zero. The world feels sooooo alive, with lot of content to do, the attention to the detail of everything in the world is amazing, and how you progress in it is up to you. Of course there is a story you have to follow but it's loaded with different options, sometimes it's overwhelming, and the world and the people react with your actions, you can get lost in the game for weeks and not be bored for a moment.

Just imagine skyrim but instead of fantasy you get realism and instead of being the dragonborn, you are just a regular guy who has to fight to become what they want. 

The game is cheap, I got it with the dlcs included for 9 €, and believe me, soooo worth it. If you like medieval RPGs, check a few gameplays on youtube and give it a try if you like what you see!

I do like playing rpgs and have wanted to dive myself into western rpgs since I have been playing only jrpgs since childhood, I will definitely take a closer look into this game! Thank you, Kefka!
P.s. I see you too enjoy The Caligula Effect series :D

• Like 1

21 hours ago, LordFrieza8920 said:

I am curious, but what about the game makes it very enjoyable for you? Never heard much of this game and I am looking for future games to buy this upcoming black friday

14 hours ago, Kefka1986 said:

LordFrieza I can second everything Kefka can say about KC:D! That game needs some love from more players. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, LordFrieza8920 said:

I do like playing rpgs and have wanted to dive myself into western rpgs since I have been playing only jrpgs since childhood, I will definitely take a closer look into this game! Thank you, Kefka!
P.s. I see you too enjoy The Caligula Effect series :D

I do! the first one surprised me greatly, had a blast with it. So I started the second one as soon as I could... it started a little slow for my taste, but after the slow beginning, I'm really loving it, it surpasses everything of the first game. ?

As for KC: D, please try it and tell us what you think!

• Like 1

My answer is Beyond Good & Evil. It's been 800 years. Ubisoft says the sequel is in development. Apparently, they even set a world record for the longest development period overtaking Duke Nukem Forever which is sad and hilarious at the same time.

Yeah, I don't know, man. I'll probably die before I see BG&E2. And I'll never see the resolution to that cliffhanger ?.

BTW, I'm excluding Journey and Limbo. They qualify as some of my favourite games without a sequel, but they don't need a follow-up, IMO.

On 14.08.2015 at 6:09 PM, JONNY-1992-_- said:

Kula World!

Absolutely based answer.

Also, it was fun to see the answers from 2015. Many of these games ended up getting a sequel. 

Edited by Slava

14 hours ago, Kefka1986 said:

I do! the first one surprised me greatly, had a blast with it. So I started the second one as soon as I could... it started a little slow for my taste, but after the slow beginning, I'm really loving it, it surpasses everything of the first game. 1f60a.png

As for KC: D, please try it and tell us what you think!

Will do!

True. The first one is a blast. Have not finished it and had forgotten to get back to it, but I loved the cast and battle system. And it is great to hear that the sequel surpasses the first one! Cannot wait to get back to those two games in the future!

• Like 1

On 11/15/2022 at 11:44 PM, Viper said:

WWF No Mercy. There was a sequel slated and it had ONE preview shown off in a Magazine back in the day calling it WWF Backlash. But it was canceled due to Nintendo deciding to move on from the N64. No Mercy still being one of the greatest wrestling games of all time, it's crazy to think what could have been with even more improvements to the amazing AKI Engine. I'm holding out hope that AEW: Fight Forever is the spiritual successor we've been waiting for. 

I just remember that infamous bug where your progress and all was wiped. Created a wrestler and realized it had reverted back to his default look. 

Was pissed.

I posted here a couple weeks ago and I totally forgot one of my faves.  Asura's Wrath.  Yeah, I've heard the stories that the dlc which finishes the story was originally supposed to be a full blown sequel, but I still would have loved another Asura's Wrath.  A prequel could have worked as well.  It would have been really neat! 

• Like 1

Days Gone was one of my favorite exclusives on the PS4, so it's an easy contender for this category - it's a damn shame it won't be getting a sequel, especially with the plot hooks they left at the end of the first game. It felt alive in a way that most open world games don't, and its pacing made it feel like a 90s or 2000s TV show more than a high octane Netflix miniseries like TLOU2 and other games do.

Battleborn is another one. For all the hate it got, once it got patched up a bit it was genuinely an engrossing experience. It had a full campaign, a ton of characters, each with skill trees you'd progress in through games, custom loadouts which allowed you to drastically change characters (for instance, giving a big headed mushroom healer a shield, which prevents headshots until broken), and a bunch of fun gamemodes on top of the primary MOBA-esque one. It was probably the closest any modern gaming experience has come to playing like TF2 did. I like to joke that even now that its servers are closed and it's unplayable, it's still a better game than Overwatch.

On 11/18/2022 at 5:40 PM, Raidou Kuzunoha XIV said:

• Impossible Creatures - Maybe a bit of an obscure one, but it used to be one of my favourite RTS games back in the day, when I was more into the genre. When it re-released on Steam some years ago, I immediately rebought it and have played it on and off since. It's nice seeing that it still has a small dedicated fanbase that still play the game online, and create mods for it in the form of new maps and creatures. It'd be great seeing a more modern take on this game though.

I played some of this back in the day, it was definitely a novel concept. Game devs don't seem nearly as interested in experimenting with unique gameplay ideas these days. Besides indie devs, but they are more often than not unfortunately limited in scope by their budgets and typically small teams.

• Like 1

On 8/14/2015 at 10:46 AM, UndreyVITA said:

Other than Bully I'm not sure, I guess Sleeping Dogs but there's Triad Wars even though that's not really a sequel.

Sleeping Dogs would be my answer. I'd play a PS5 port in a heartbeat, let alone a true sequel.