I Plan to Beat Dark Souls Before Twitch

GaryHyphenJon

Hi guys,

So I've never beaten Dark Souls, it's one of the great gaps in my gaming experience and I've always regretted it.  But Twitch's recent attempt to take on Dark Souls has inspired me to do it myself.  As such I've decided to dedicate myself to beating Dark Souls before Twitch does.

I began today and with the guidance of a few friends managed to defeat the Bell Gargoyle, last I checked Twitch was still in the Asylum which gives me hope.

I began my quest as a Pyromancer and am so far having a fairly easy time using a battle axe and a knights shield.

I will be updating this post regularly with my progress, it would be greatly appreciated if the PSN Profiles community could make me aware of any items or people that would make my journey easier.

My journey has so far been:

Asylum > Taurus Demon > Metal Boar (who sucked) > Bell Gargoyle.

I'm not sure where to go next however, I've been told Blighttown might be a good next step, again guidance is appreciated.

Thanks guys and wish me luck on my journey.

• Like 2

You'll beat Dark Souls before Twitch even makes it out of the Asylum, hell you'll probably have the platinum before they even get to the Undead Burg. It is correct that your next goal should be getting to Blighttown, but try to use guides as little as possible, finding your own way is part of the experience. No shame in asking where to go when you can't find the way but avoid walkthroughs.

• Like 1

I'm currently playing it myself and as a warrior i found the Lightning spear really good. I believe i found it in Sen's Fortress (not sure if on a chest or dead body) but be sure to keep an eye on it, it was really useful for me and i am still using it where i have just finished New Londo

Get the Drake Sword if you haven't already. It's a really good starter weapon.

I'd actually recommend against getting the Drake Sword.

It's a bad weapon to let new players experience the weapon system with. It's very difficult to upgrade and it doesn't scale with stats. Those are two important things new players should get themselves familiar with early on so they can find their own preferred playstyles. Getting stuck with the seemingly amazing Drake Sword will just delay that until they're forced to find something else two areas later because they're doing terrible damage.

Some people even consider the Drake Sword a trap because it looks so powerful that it makes people disregard stats and the blacksmith.

• Like 1

My journey has so far been:

Asylum > Taurus Demon > Metal Boar (who sucked) > Bell Gargoyle.

I'm not sure where to go next however, I've been told Blighttown might be a good next step, again guidance is appreciated.

After the Bell Gargoyles, I did this route:

Capra Demon > Gaping Dragon > demon in the Catacombs (forgot his name) > Asylum revisit (get the Iron Ring for the swamp in Blight Town) + Stray Demon > Quelaag > Moonlight Butterfly >  Sif > both Hydras > Iron Golem > Ornstein & Smough > Priscilla > Gwyndolin > Nito > Ceaseless Discharge > Demon Firesage > Centipede Demon > Bed of Chaos > Seath > Four Kings > Final Boss.

Get the Drake Sword if you haven't already. It's a really good starter weapon.

Drake Sword is a crappy weapon.

Edited by Dragon-Archon
  • Like 2

Do NOT get the Drake Sword.

Why not? At least give the OP a reason.

I'd actually recommend against getting the Drake Sword.

It's a bad weapon to let new players experience the weapon system with. It's very difficult to upgrade and it doesn't scale with stats. Those are two important things new players should get themselves familiar with early on so they can find their own preferred playstyles. Getting stuck with the seemingly amazing Drake Sword will just delay that until they're forced to find something else two areas later because they're doing terrible damage.

Some people even consider the Drake Sword a trap because it looks so powerful that it makes people disregard stats and the blacksmith.

Well thought out. I can respect this arguement. It never felt like it had terrible damage that quickly to me and I used it for at least the first half of ng. I upgraded as often as I could though.

Drake Sword is a crappy weapon.

Had to fix this for ya.

I'm really surprised to see all the hate for the Drake sword. I guess it boils down to Shadiochao's explanation and individual experience. It is a little overpowered at the early stages of the game or at least it was to me. To each his own.

Edited by Rowdi
  • Like 1

Why not? At least give the OP a reason.  Well thought out. I can respect this arguement. It never felt like it terrible damage that quickly to me and I used it for at least the first half of ng. I upgraded as often as I could though. Had to fix this for ya.

I'm really surprised to see all the hate for the Drake sword. I guess it boils down to Shadiochao's explanation and individual experience. It is a little overpowered at the early stages of the game or at least it was to me. To each his own.

I don't think I ever used the Drake Sword for more than some few minutes. I'm sure it's a decent sword that's easy to get early in the game. If the point was to make the game easy, I'd personally rather recommend pyromancy and leveling with the staircase in the garden. Oh, and of course a decent bow with long range and normal and poison arrows. Shield + Spear is usually a good combo for new players as well. Allowing you to keep your shield up at all times and attacking at the same time. Keep the shield up, circle around enemy and backstab! Parry and riposte might be easy in Dark Souls, but backstab is more broken.

Edited by MMDE

Had to fix this for ya.

Oh thnx, I was going to post a slightly different comment, but altered it and forget to change "an" to "a" :facepalm:.

Anyway the Claymore can be found near the drake and that one requires the same amount of strength as the drake sword to equip it. The Claymore also scales with both strength and dex, and can do more damage than the drake sword. I used that almost all the time to plat Dark Souls. I did replace it for a while and wielded the sword you get from the Kalameet tail cut, but got the Claymore again after my stats were higher and the scaled damage was higher than the dragon sword.

If you want any advice from someone who sucks at Dark Souls, always summon players and use dragon weapons or some form of longswords.

EDIT: Also it is not so long to beat you know? I had a sleepover with my friend and in about 5 hours of play we got from level 18 to 55, and from the fourth area to almost half of the game.

Edited by NICK16_06

I farmed the Baldur knights for a Baldur Side(swag) Sword. Awesome if you want to go the Dex route. It has a great move set and scales like a boss. Another good thing is you'll probably get quite a bit of upgrade stones while looking for one. However I noticed it lacked a bit of punch later on and finally went up to a great sword and never looked back. Ended up using that all the way through Dark Souls 2 as well.

The Drake is OP for where you can get it, but doesn't level well and does the same damage no matter how strong your character is. It's not worth getting used to playing with it since there are so many better weapons.

I really like blight town but I would suggest going after Capra and then heading down towards the gaping dragon first, to get a better feel for the game. Trying to deal with the poison guys on your way down, especially when still learning the ropes, can be a real pita.

Why not? At least give the OP a reason.

As you wish. The reason i kept my answer short is because i meant to reference the DS communities stance towards the Drake Sword. If you see someone use the Drake Sword you can safely assume that the person using it for one had to look it up online, but was also looking for help before the game ever got truly challenging, which means guide reader = casual scum in the eyes of the majority of the community. Expect invaders to send you messages about dropping the Drake Sword. I kept my answer in one sentence as a reference to that stance, somewhat as a joke though i personally believe that there is some reason in Drake-shaming. If that doesn't matter to you the things Shadi said still stand. Using the Drake Sword will lead to many not learning about upgrading weapons and how scaling functions, which means they'll get stuck around Sen's Fortress or Anor Londo, which will be even more discouraging because they're using a "cheat" weapon. You can refer to this if you need further arguments.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/608635-dark-souls/63357774

http://www.destructoid.com/blogs/Nic+Rowen/it-039-s-a-trap-the-drake-sword-and-you-dark-souls-blog--230463.phtml

Edited by HappyKastanie

As you wish. The reason i kept my answer short is because i meant to reference the DS communities stance towards the Drake Sword. If you see someone use the Drake Sword you can safely assume that the person using it for one had to look it up online, but was also looking for help before the game ever got truly challenging, which means guide reader = casual scum in the eyes of the majority of the community. Expect invaders to send you messages about dropping the Drake Sword. I kept my answer in one sentence as a reference to that stance, somewhat as a joke though i personally believe that there is some reason in Drake-shaming. If that doesn't matter to you the things Shadi said still stand. Using the Drake Sword will lead to many not learning about upgrading weapons and how scaling functions, which means they'll get stuck around Sen's Fortress or Anor Londo, which will be even more discouraging because they're using a "cheat" weapon. You can refer to this if you need further arguments.http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/608635-dark-souls/63357774http://www.destructoid.com/blogs/Nic+Rowen/it-039-s-a-trap-the-drake-sword-and-you-dark-souls-blog--230463.phtml

Interesting reads. I'm not going to be embarrassed that I looked at a guide though. There's too many missable trophies not to. Also, I find it hard to believe that people are too obstinate to try different weapons when the ones they're using aren't as effective anymore or that it'd be preferable to start another character than to do Sen's Fortress again. Common sense isn't really that common anymore though.

I expected the gamefaqs thread to be more elitist, but it wasn't too bad. People are always going to use what's most effective. I honestly don't see what the big deal is. I would think people would be much more against things like the Dragon Head glitch or the item duping in Demon's Souls or Bloodborne.

If you see someone use the Drake Sword you can safely assume that the person using it for one had to look it up online, but was also looking for help before the game ever got truly challenging, which means guide reader = casual scum in the eyes of the majority of the community.

Wow. These are a couple of the dumbest "safe assumptions" I've ever seen. Most people who get the Drake Sword probably thought they were killing an annoying dragon, only to find that they did nothing.

And if the majority of the community feel as you say, they're far more scummy than any player using the weapon in question.

Interesting reads. I'm not going to be embarrassed that I looked at a guide though. There's too many missable trophies not to. Also, I find it hard to believe that people are too obstinate to try different weapons when the ones they're using aren't as effective anymore or that it'd be preferable to start another character than to do Sen's Fortress again. Common sense isn't really that common anymore though.

I expected the gamefaqs thread to be more elitist, but it wasn't too bad. People are always going to use what's most effective. I honestly don't see what the big deal is. I would think people would be much more against things like the Dragon Head glitch or the item duping in Demon's Souls or Bloodborne.

Just a bunch of navel-gazers. The vast majority of people would think pretty much exactly how you think.

• Like 1

Don't forget it's one of the tail weapons needed for the Knight's Honor trophy too.

I jad totally forgotten the trophy. I was just remembering my own experience. In Demon's Souls, you had to kill that stupid Red Dragon by just sitting and sniping him forever. When I saw that tail, I naturally thought the same thing.

I just hate "communities" that seek to exclude others because of differences in play style.

Every weapon is good in dark souls 1 honestly, I had so many different weapons maxed out and they were all good. In dark souls 2 however, some weapons are just complete crap while others are really overpowered from new game to newgame +++++(infinite sign).

Play with what your comfortable with ;)

What was bad in DS2? I low-leveled that game on all my playthroughs, so I have no real knowledge of the weapons outside of the dagger, the flame(s) and the mage wand.

Hi everyone,

UPDATE #02

I've ended my session today in Blighttown, at the bottom to be precise, in a sewer.  The enemies down here I've found especially tough, considering they do poison damage and are relentless.  I made my way up a structure and found a spider like creature attached to the outer wall.  It killed me, which is where I ended.

How do I defeat this enemy and am I going the right way to the next boss?

In other news, I leveled up my Estus Flask found a massive club deep in the poison water.

TWITCH UPDATE

They're still in the Asylum.

DEMON'S SOULS

For those interested, I've been playing Demon's Souls alongide Dark Souls and have just defeated The Penetrator (with the help of Bjiorr) and am planning to take on the Old Hero next.

COMMUNITY THANKS

Thanks to everyone who have contributed to the forum so far.  I was planning on getting the Drake Sword, but after learning about it, I've decided to keep with my axe for now.  Again, keep those suggestions rolling in, they're a great help.

Thanks again guys, I'll keep you updated in my quest. 

Hi everyone,

UPDATE #02

I've ended my session today in Blighttown, at the bottom to be precise, in a sewer. The enemies down here I've found especially tough, considering they do poison damage and are relentless. I made my way up a structure and found a spider like creature attached to the outer wall. It killed me, which is where I ended.

How do I defeat this enemy and am I going the right way to the next boss?

I cheesed the spider thing on the wall by shooting it with arrows.

There are two ways in to Blighttown. By going all the way down and then back up to the enemy you described, I'd say you came in one way and you're leaving by the other. Your next boss should probably be Quelaag and you're route to it is at the bottom of Blighttown and almost directly across from the bonfire in the cave. You could also go to your left from the bonfire and go down the tree and fight the hydra and check out the Dragon covenant while you're down there.

Edit: spelling

Edited by Rowdi