What's the trick for finding knives?

BinkyMelnik

Hi, folks:

I'm playing this and I'm very early in the game (Reminiscences 3/3), and I'm desperately in need of knives. I've only found two, at the start of 3/3, after I hopped down out of the hole, and I've used them and can't seem to get at the danged pry bar unless I come up with another one. I admit that I'm not good at this game at ALL and may end up having to give up on it (I've played some areas altogether too many times, and have ended up taking a straight shot at some of my objectives rather than sneaking around collecting all the goodies because I'm apparently not good at the type of stealth this game requires), but I'd at least like to take one more stab it it before deciding to quit.

But I can't seem to find any more knives. It's driving me out of my mind. Are there good spots I should be checking? I've tried googling, but all I keep finding are references to the fact that Styx uses knives, not where I can find them.

I wanna chance to use my li'l doppelgänger fella, so I wanna keep trying, 'cause maybe once I find enough uses for him, this'll start to be fun, but for now it's justfrustrating. Not enough checkpoints. Grrr. Perhaps if I knew where I could find knives, it'd get funner.

Thanks for either helping me to locate knives, or else ending my misery by telling me that knives are super-scarce.

Binky

Thanks for either helping me to locate knives, or else ending my misery by telling me that knives are super-scarce.

Throwing knives are scarce in the open, but rather plentiful on guards. The best way to get the knives is to pickpocket them from guards by sneaking behind them. You can also get some from your hideout each time, but that's obviously not something you'd be doing while you're already on a mission.

The best way to get the knives is to pickpocket them from guards

Oooh! Excellent! There's a way to work my last remaining nerve! ("Is that a knife, or are you just glad to see me?") Seriously; I really appreciate this. That never crossed my mind. I seem to remember having been given an instruction about pickpocketing, but it apparently fell out my ear. I appreciate this a lot; this'll help! I'll be sure to scream your name when I'm nabbed rifling through some gent's pants!

(You mean when I was in my hideout, there was a bag of knives and I missed it? Or there was a bunch stuck in the wall? Argh, argh, argh.)

Thanks a lot, Zaddie!

Binky

Oooh! Excellent! There's a way to work my last remaining nerve! ("Is that a knife, or are you just glad to see me?") Seriously; I really appreciate this. That never crossed my mind. I seem to remember having been given an instruction about pickpocketing, but it apparently fell out my ear. I appreciate this a lot; this'll help! I'll be sure to scream your name when I'm nabbed rifling through some gent's pants!

(You mean when I was in my hideout, there was a bag of knives and I missed it? Or there was a bunch stuck in the wall? Argh, argh, argh.)

Thanks a lot, Zaddie!

Binky

Yeah, just be aware that not every guard will have knives though :P Some will have other things (like potions) or nothing at all. I *think* you could also loot them from dead corpses if they had the knives available for pickpocketing (potions on the other hand break when the guards die), though I'm currently not sure if I'm confusing that part with some other game xD

And yeah, I know I got some from hideouts, but right now not sure whether they were on one of the tables/on a wall/somewhere else D:

Oh, believe me: I've tried to get my two measly knives back from the men I used them on; there were no prompts, despite my walking all over their corpses, and picking them up and hauling them around like sacks of rice. I finally gave up on that idea.

I'll try extra-hard to find knives in my hideout ... If I ever see it again. :-(

You can manually save the game if you press the options button

What?! Will it save me where I am (more or less), and not way, way the hell back at the start of the section? Which is what happens every time I die, and lose an hour's worth of work stealthing around? No, not really? Really?

I'm gonna hafta try that out to see what happens. That would save me soooo much work! You have no idea! (Or maybe you do!) if this works, it would make my gaming life infinitely easier. Thanks for the suggestion, Tony! Crossing my fingers!

Binky

Hey, Ric and Tony, who pointed out that I can save the game and come back to the exact point when I reload: YOU WERE EXACTLY RIGHT! Oh, how I wish I had known I could do this soooo many hours ago! I'd have soooo many more items by now if I had, not to mention more hair (because I'd ripped it out)! I successfully completed "Reminiscences 3/3" by saving like a maniac after every kil, and would try stuff and then when it didn't work, I'd simply reload my save. It's genius! (And time-consuming as all get out, but MUCH less time-consuming than having to replay the danged level over again from the beginning because there're NO CHECKPOINTS). I love you guys! The game is playable now!

And to Zadorvp: I've become a little pickpocket! It's hard on my nerves, but I'm doing it! Yay, me! Thanks ever so much for the tip! Now I have knives when I need them! Woohoo!

I only wish I'd known about saving from the beginning; I coulda done "Reminiscences 2/2" and aksully gotten some loot, but after being repeatedly frustrated, I got tired of it and made a straight shot for my objective, leaving all the goodies behind. Argh.

Dunno why it didn't cross my mind to try to save; I still have prolly a hundred saves for some games like all the Dead Spaces, all the Ratchet and Klanks, and two Infamouses. It simply didn't dawn on me. You're bad assets for helping me out. I appreciate it megatons!

Edited by BinkyMelnik
  • Like 1