Spot the Difference: The Nathan Drake Collection

Hey everybody

Check out this article by Digital Foundry. They conclude:

Of course, we'll have to wait until the Nathan Drake Collection is complete before passing judgement but initial impressions are positive and clearly there's a lot here to be excited about. The number of changes made to the original assets suggests an overhaul exceeding that of The Last of Us Remastered, with many of the improvements reminding us of the level of effort that went into elements of the current-gen versions of Grand Theft Auto 5. Bluepoint is clearly one of the best in the business when it comes to remastering projects and all the evidence to date suggests that a highly talented developer is at work here, giving all due care and attention in porting over and enhancing three of PS3's most beloved games.

They have run the scenes used in the latest trailer for the ND Collection on the PS3 versions of the game, and done a few side by side comparisons:

Edit: Make sure you turn up the YouTube settings to the max. If you're watching in Chrome, you can go all the way up to 1080p 60FPS.

Now, obviously the ND Collection is still a work in progress, but the changes to the graphics look extensive. 

Looking like the PS4 remaster is shaping up to be the original trilogy looking its absolute very best.

Edited by StrickenBiged
  • Like 1

I don't see a lot of difference between the PS3 and PS4 versions :S.

Make sure that you have the video settings cranked up to the max for playback. 

PS4 is running at 60FPS, which you can playback with the Chrome browser. 

Overall the lighting is vastly improved, the UC1 Nathan model has been upgraded significantly. 

Watch the second video again with the settings on 1080p 60FPS. That one takes each game in turn, and shows vast improvement in graphics over PS3. 

I can never tell the difference between these vids - I think the only game where I actually noticed a difference was Grim Fandango remastered ha ha, must be getting old eye's :D

Honestly if the PS3/PS4 tags weren't at the bottom, I'd have a hard time telling which was which o.o

Try pausing the videos as you go.

Watch the 2nd video and skip to 1:55 for example. The plane has better textures, the lighting is improved, the water looks much better. 

Now skip to 3:10 - Nate's face has much better textures, the lighting is vastly improved, his stubble is more defined rather than looking like a grey wash over his face.

The second video is definitely the one to watch. The slow mo and swipe over comparisons in particular really highlight the differences. Edit: also note that you have twice the number of frames on the PS4 side, which you can really see in the slow-mo sections. It's going to feel a lot more responsive to play on the PS4.

It's testament to how much NaughtyDog got out of the PS3 that the differences are hard to see, but they are definitely there if you look carefully. 

Edited by StrickenBiged

I cranked the video up to 1080x60 and I must be missing something.  Yeah, the PS4 side looks better, but "extensive improvements"?  "Significantly better"?  Half the time you can barely see a difference, and when you can it's more of a "oh that's cool" kind of thing, as opposed to anything particularly mindblowing.

it's going to be a good release, don't get me wrong.  It'll look better, it'll run smoother.  Great for newcomers to get caught up, and die hards who loved the games but hate the multiplayer.  But eh... it's not like they rebuilt the darn thing.  It's the same old Uncharted, just at 1080, 60fps and some spruced up lighting.

EDIT: Watched the 'Warzone' trailer as well, and I can see quite a difference there.  Though the video was intentionally slowed down to emphasize it, if I cared more, I'd call that cheating. xD

Edited by PleaseHoldOn

• 3 weeks later...

Seeing how good Uncharted looks on PS3 in comparison to the PS4 version really shows Naughty Dog's last-gen muscles. Aside from the PS4 version obviously running better, they both look identical visually, at least to me. Honestly I even thought the PS3 version looked better in some places.

Edited by Death_Ninja

I could definitely see a difference in the lights and shading between the two. Some of the finer details were also more visible during action scenes for the ps4 version. Things like fingers seemed a little blurry in the ps3 version and a little more clear for the ps4 version. As someone who was late to getting a ps3, the ps4 version should be a nice intro to the series for me.

Forgot how good Uncharted already looked on PS3! The PS4 version looks really nice though, cleaner, a lot sharper, and so on - you can really see it in the second video. Also, The Nathan Drake Collection story trailer was really well done too! =D

Edited by BlindMango
  • Like 1

Forgot how good Uncharted already looked on PS3! The PS4 version looks really nice though, cleaner, a lot sharper, and so on - you can really see it in the second video. Also, The Nathan Drake Collection story trailer was really well done too! =D

While I kinda want to play it, do you really want to pay $60 for it?

Sure the graphical upgrade is nice and yes there's 3 games in the trilogy but holy moly I bought the ps3 trilogy for $7.50 this summer

While I kinda want to play it, do you really want to pay $60 for it?

Sure the graphical upgrade is nice and yes there's 3 games in the trilogy but holy moly I bought the ps3 trilogy for $7.50 this summer

Nah, I'm not buying it, lol - I may check out the demo since they're actually releasing one of those :P It's $60 though? Dang, it should probably be like $40 but for first-timers it is 3 Uncharted games, so ehh, they'll probably see the value in it.

• 2 weeks later...