Spot the Difference: The Nathan Drake Collection

Now that they've had their hands on a copy of the game, Digital Foundry have done an in-depth comparison of Uncharted: Drake's Fortune. Check it out below, making sure that you adjust the settings to 1080p60FPS for the best results.

I defy those of you who were unable to see the difference before not to be able to tell the difference now. It is absolutely clear that a lot of work has gone into this remaster and I, for one, can't wait to get my hands on it. 

I played the demo version available from PS Store an there was nothing that amazed me. Drake's movements were quite unnatural which is weird as I expected something completely opposite. I was amazed by PS3 versions and was thinking about buying special edition but if nothing changes in the gameplay until the release, I'll definetely wait until the game gets cheaper.

I played the demo version available from PS Store an there was nothing that amazed me. Drake's movements were quite unnatural which is weird as I expected something completely opposite. I was amazed by PS3 versions and was thinking about buying special edition but if nothing changes in the gameplay until the release, I'll definetely wait until the game gets cheaper.

I think it's just the shift up to 60FPS that you were feeling. It definitely feels weird if you've been playing something at 30FPS recently, almost too responsive. I felt the same when I started playing TLoU on PS4 - at first the frame rate made my eyes spin until I got used to it. 

Once you do get used to it, 60FPS is much better IMO.

I'm a fan of Uncharted and of Naughty Dog's games in general, so I would buy the collection for PS4 even if the games didn't have  any differences from the originals. However, I have to say that I already played the demo 3 times and I'm really impressed with the work done in the remasters. The remasters seem to be really well done and now I'm even more excited about being able to play theses games again on PS4. Even about the trophies, I think they did the best option they could have done: relatively easy platinums, but challenging 100%'s. This, for me, is perfect, because it will allow me to replicate the extremely enjoyable experiences that were platinuming the Uncharted games for the first time and, then, working in the dlc trophies in a relaxed way.

• Like 1

I think it's just the shift up to 60FPS that you were feeling. It definitely feels weird if you've been playing something at 30FPS recently, almost too responsive. I felt the same when I started playing TLoU on PS4 - at first the frame rate made my eyes spin until I got used to it. 

Once you do get used to it, 60FPS is much better IMO.

Hope that's the case. Maybe I should give it another try. What bothered me most were those wiggling legs while running up the stairs. Or am I simply exaggerating? ;-)

^This might show some of the upgrades you missed?

Digital Foundry's verdict on the remaster of U: Among Thieves

Edit: Again, make sure you change the settings to 1080p/60FPS to get the full experience. Otherwise, you won't be able to see many of the changes.

Edited by StrickenBiged

I'm not gonna deny the effort they put in, because they've clearly done a damn fine job, but with that being said, the PS3 version still looks amazing now, I just don't see THAT much of a visual leap. It's cool what they have done, and their effort is a-plus because the PS4 does look that little bit better, but this isn't worth it for me.

I've got all 3 of them on PS3, and I've got Golden Abyss on Vita. Right now, I'm happy with that as it is. When / if this collection hits the 20/30 dollar mark, I'll scoop it up, and probably sell my older copies to some schmuck for 30 anyways.

I've got all 3 of them on PS3, and I've got Golden Abyss on Vita. Right now, I'm happy with that as it is. When / if this collection hits the 20/30 dollar mark, I'll scoop it up, and probably sell my older copies to some schmuck for 30 anyways.

This will probably happen sooner than later, maybe even by Christmas.  If not $20/30, it will at least drop to $40, but I wouldn't be surprised to see it cheaper than that somewhere during the holidays.

This will probably happen sooner than later, maybe even by Christmas.  If not $20/30, it will at least drop to $40, but I wouldn't be surprised to see it cheaper than that somewhere during the holidays.

I mean 20/30 AUD. Right now the game is RRP'd at 80 bucks I believe. Cheapest I've seen is 64 in Target. I know that's not a bad deal for 3 really good games, but I've already got them, and I'm not really dying to throw my money at a re-release of games I already have that doesn't really add anything I really want. Hell, I've still not gotten around to platinuming Uncharted 2 anyways.

I mean 20/30 AUD. Right now the game is RRP'd at 80 bucks I believe. Cheapest I've seen is 64 in Target. I know that's not a bad deal for 3 really good games, but I've already got them, and I'm not really dying to throw my money at a re-release of games I already have that doesn't really add anything I really want. Hell, I've still not gotten around to platinuming Uncharted 2 anyways.

Ah, I have no clue how Aussie prices go, I was speaking to US prices.  They tend to drop pretty quick here on physical games.  And I feel ya, I don't buy games for more than $20 anyway, but I usually try to borrow from friends if I've already played the game on another system or it's an HD release/remake/etc... The Uncharted games are pretty great though, and with all the MP trophies removed I am interested in playing this version once I get a PS4 (probably this year since the price just dropped).

Ah, I have no clue how Aussie prices go, I was speaking to US prices.  They tend to drop pretty quick here on physical games.  And I feel ya, I don't buy games for more than $20 anyway, but I usually try to borrow from friends if I've already played the game on another system or it's an HD release/remake/etc... The Uncharted games are pretty great though, and with all the MP trophies removed I am interested in playing this version once I get a PS4 (probably this year since the price just dropped).

Here's a brief rundown for you man.

Alright, a full retail game here, will RRP for $100 usually, standard editions and whatnot.

However, JB HiFi (a big ass chain store here) will usually have them for $80 though, preorder.

Target will get most big games and usually do them for $64, like Uncharted, it's been this way at least since Modern Warfare 3.

Aside from the odd clearance here and there, and the odd sale from EB, these are pretty much the prices you go off for the first year or so of a game's release.

I've no problem with shelling out the dough for a game I really want, I ended up paying I think 80 for Arkham Knight day one (mostly for the preorder bonuses, I ordered the night before release mind you), the same for both versions of GTA 5, and so on. It's just, I already have Uncharted 1-3, so that one in particular isn't worth it for me.

I wish I could do what you do and borrow friend's games, most the time people borrow my PS3 stuff and I know a total of one person in real life who plays PS4. He never buys any games though, so...

Here's a brief rundown for you man.

Alright, a full retail game here, will RRP for $100 usually, standard editions and whatnot.

However, JB HiFi (a big ass chain store here) will usually have them for $80 though, preorder.

Target will get most big games and usually do them for $64, like Uncharted, it's been this way at least since Modern Warfare 3.

Aside from the odd clearance here and there, and the odd sale from EB, these are pretty much the prices you go off for the first year or so of a game's release.

I've no problem with shelling out the dough for a game I really want, I ended up paying I think 80 for Arkham Knight day one (mostly for the preorder bonuses, I ordered the night before release mind you), the same for both versions of GTA 5, and so on. It's just, I already have Uncharted 1-3, so that one in particular isn't worth it for me.

I wish I could do what you do and borrow friend's games, most the time people borrow my PS3 stuff and I know a total of one person in real life who plays PS4. He never buys any games though, so...

Those prices are comparable to what we have to pay here in the UK, where a new AAA game is RRP'd at £55-£65, but usually retails for £50-£55 on the high street. 

AUS$64 sounds like a steal for this collection... that's about £30... 

I accept that you can't directly compare prices across economies like this though, and admit that I haven't looked up the PPP (purchasing power parity) of UK and AUS. 

Those prices are comparable to what we have to pay here in the UK, where a new AAA game is RRP'd at £55-£65, but usually retails for £50-£55 on the high street. 

AUS$64 sounds like a steal for this collection... that's about £30... 

I accept that you can't directly compare prices across economies like this though, and admit that I haven't looked up the PPP (purchasing power parity) of UK and AUS. 

Oh yeah man, 64 for "all" 3 of these games is well worth it, just not for me, an owner of them already on PS3.

But I was actually talking to one of my teachers in school today, she got the Uncharted collection on PS4, having never played the PS3 versions, and she reckons it's great. 

For anyone that's interested, Digital Foundry got to interview BluePoint Games about the remastering process. If you want to read the transcript of that interview, and see what went on "under the hood" then head on over to Eurogamer

It's quite interesting to read, although I admit that a lot of what the guy is saying is like a foreign language to me, as I don't code. So it might be of more interest to coders than to most. 

For anyone that's interested, Digital Foundry got to interview BluePoint Games about the remastering process. If you want to read the transcript of that interview, and see what went on "under the hood" then head on over to Eurogamer

It's quite interesting to read, although I admit that a lot of what the guy is saying is like a foreign language to me, as I don't code. So it might be of more interest to coders than to most. 

I'm just quoting this so you see my post, it's not a direct reply to yours, just something I wanted to send to you.

I was playing Uncharted 2 for half an hour or so the other day on PS3 and the visual upgrade is incredible. I feel weird saying this, but Uncharted 2 for PS3 looks like a box of balls in this day and age, the PS4 version looks way more sexies, as usual, you were right.

• Like 1

I'm just quoting this so you see my post, it's not a direct reply to yours, just something I wanted to send to you.

I was playing Uncharted 2 for half an hour or so the other day on PS3 and the visual upgrade is incredible. I feel weird saying this, but Uncharted 2 for PS3 looks like a box of balls in this day and age, the PS4 version looks way more sexies, as usual, you were right.

Lol. I might add "as usual, you were right" to my sig, and attribute it to you. ;) Thanks!

I agree, the games look and play amazingly well on PS4. I've been having a great time. 

Lol. I might add "as usual, you were right" to my sig, and attribute it to you. ;) Thanks!

I agree, the games look and play amazingly well on PS4. I've been having a great time. 

I miss having quotes in my signature, I like the THPS logo but I miss it.