I want to start playing the Metal Gear series

So, I've recently been wanting to start the Metal Gear series but I honestly don't know where to start. There are so many installments in the series. I thought I'd come here for help, so if you're a hardcore Metal Gear fan, help me out here. If you could tell me what order I should play the games in that would be great. The main storyline is my first priority really but I don't mind playing the spin-offs too. Any help with this would be great.

I believe this should be your schedule if you want to follow the story  :)

MGS3
MGS Portable Ops
MGS Peace Walker

MGS V Ground Zeroes
MGS V Phantom Pain
Metal Gear(NES/MSX)
Metal Gear 2 Solid Snake (MSX)
Metal Gear Solid
Metal Gear Solid 2
Metal Gear Solid 4
Metal Gear Rising Revengeance

Edited by rudinho1969521
  • Like 2

By release date is fine. Just be aware that the storyline is split between Solid Snake and Big Boss (and Raiden, but fuck that guy); Big Boss's portion of the overarching story takes place between the 1960s-1980s, while Solid Snake's portion takes place between the 1990s-2010s. People might tell you to follow the internal chronology, but you can follow along in the story just fine by going by release date.

Edited by damon8r351

Release date is the only real way to go, otherwise you're gonna be spending alot of time jumping between old and new game mechanics etc and dealing with losing some stuff, only to gain others etc in the next game which can be overwhelming to the player.

Also, very minor, but there are also alot of call backs to previous games that you'll end up missing out on if you play in timeline order. 

I would play them as soon as possible. Be aware thought it is a very intricate story and might take several playthroughs to fully understand what is happening. But I highly recommend playing the MGS games. I would just start with the first and play them in the order they were released, you will get the best experience that way. 

Little less than 2 weeks before Phantom Pain, can't wait!

MGS3

MGS Portable Ops

MGS Peace Walker

MGS V Ground Zeroes

MGS V Phantom Pain

Metal Gear(NES/MSX)

Metal Gear Solid

Metal Gear Solid 2

Metal Gear Solid 4

Funny that not even Kojima knows whether if Portable Ops is filler, or canon. xD

I heard MGS 1 and 2 are not nearly as good as 3 & 4, and are kind of hard to play and have fun. You may just want to read the summaries of the first 2 and THEN start with 3 unless you have pretty thick skin or plan to use a guide for help.

Of course, you can never go wrong with playing them by release date, but you may have to "suffer" a little bit from what my roommate told me. Of course, he's not the best at stealth games! xD

I heard MGS 1 and 2 are not nearly as good as 3 & 4, and are kind of hard to play and have fun. You may just want to read the summaries of the first 2 and THEN start with 3 unless you have pretty thick skin or plan to use a guide for help.

Of course, you can never go wrong with playing them by release date, but you may have to "suffer" a little bit from what my roommate told me. Of course, he's not the best at stealth games! xD

Why skip the first two games? They're awesome and not hard to control at all, the controls take a while to memorize but they stay the same throughout the games.

• Like 2

While your mileage may vary, for most people I'm confident in saying this won't be true at all. The mechanics of MGS1 are so simple that they've barely aged since it was released, and MGS2 isn't much more complex. The only major obstacle for a newcomer would be the fixed camera angles, and even then MGS1's guards are so shortsighted and it's so easy to shoot them in the head in MGS2's first-person view that it barely matters. The stealth in these two games is far more streamlined and fast-paced than their successors, so for the most part you don't need much skill or even patience to get through them easily. Getting through them well is another matter, but for a beginner they're every accessible.

One of my favourite things about Metal Gear Solid is that every game is different enough from the others to be entirely worthwhile in its own right. Not to mention MGS2 has one of the most ambitious stories ever told in a video game, so I wouldn't even dream of recommending a new player skips it outright. It has to be experienced to be appreciated, as does every other game in the series.

If at all possible, play every game in the main Metal Gear Solid series. 1, 2, 3 and 4 at the very least are all classics.

• Like 3

MGS3

MGS Portable Ops

MGS Peace Walker

MGS V Ground Zeroes

MGS V Phantom Pain

Metal Gear(NES/MSX)

Metal Gear Solid

Metal Gear Solid 2

Metal Gear Solid 4

What this guy said. If you wanna go in the order they're released then that's fine, but if you wish to follow the story then this is the way to go!

Decided I'm gonna go by release date. I'm going to buy Metal Gear Solid: The Legacy collection and MGR: Revengeance for now and I'm gonna buy GZ and TPP later on.

Me too, though in my case I already have both. Getting GZ and PP once I'm done with Legacy. I'm sure I won't be disappointed. I only wish that first MGS was HD remake instead of PSX classic. Because, you know, having every game on trophy collection would be about 20% cooler.

Well this is just coincidence. I want to order MGS V and MGS IV. I only played MGS V Ground Zeroes. MGS 2, 3 and Peace Walker are awaiting on my PS3. Never played any of the games. Started MGS2 once but didn't had the motivation back then. I really want to start this series, but how possible is it to plat all games? How much time would it take me? Is it doable for a beginner? I'm a huge stealth fan but mainly Splinter Cell. Love those games.

Well this is just coincidence. I want to order MGS V and MGS IV. I only played MGS V Ground Zeroes. MGS 2, 3 and Peace Walker are awaiting on my PS3. Never played any of the games. Started MGS2 once but didn't had the motivation back then. I really want to start this series, but how possible is it to plat all games? How much time would it take me? Is it doable for a beginner? I'm a huge stealth fan but mainly Splinter Cell. Love those games.

MGS2 will require at least one run per difficulty level (5 total) for the dog tags, plus misc and VR training. MGS3, kinda similar similar (regular run, no kill run (including bosses), all kerotans and all fruits and animals), but somewhat "easier".

MGS4, it depends on your play style. Your BBE (Big Boss Extreme) run may take a few weeks, if not months (I was stuck on a single screen for a month due to always getting caught), plus a grind for the special ranks. PW will take time since it demands some grinding (plus online).

EDIT: Also, get MGS1 and VR Missions (optional) from the Store. If you're already planning to play all of em (yes, all the games. MGS3 comes with MG1 and MG2), better grab the entire collection, sans the spin-offs (AC!D, Portable Ops).

Edited by djGLCKR
  • Like 1

MGS2 will require at least one run per difficulty level (5 total) for the dog tags, plus misc and VR training. MGS3, kinda similar similar (regular run, no kill run (including bosses), all kerotans and all fruits and animals), but somewhat "easier".

MGS4, it depends on your play style. Your BBE (Big Boss Extreme) run may take a few weeks, if not months (I was stuck on a single screen for a month due to always getting caught), plus a grind for the special ranks. PW will take time since it demands some grinding (plus online).

EDIT: Also, get MGS1 and VR Missions (optional) from the Store. If you're already planning to play all of em (yes, all the games. MGS3 comes with MG1 and MG2), better grab the entire collection, sans the spin-offs (AC!D, Portable Ops).

Is MGS1 that necessary? And i have a rather big backlog. I have games like Thief, Dishonered, God of War Ascension, the entire Infamous series... And currently (slowly) going for the Killzone Mercenary platinum. I really want to go for The Last of Us after that and the MGS games. So yeah too much games...

Is MGS1 that necessary? And i have a rather big backlog. I have games like Thief, Dishonered, God of War Ascension, the entire Infamous series... And currently (slowly) going for the Killzone Mercenary platinum. I really want to go for The Last of Us after that and the MGS games. So yeah too much games...

Why wouldn't you start with the first. It was such a good game, and by far the best boss fight I've experienced in my gaming career.

• Like 1

This will probably sound biased, but do it for the story, then you can worry about 100% completion. MGS1 is part of the Solid Snake arc, which covers MG1, MG2, MGS1, MGS2 (less than half of it thanks to Raiden as protagonist, but the story involves him and his past) and MGS4. Big Boss arc goes through MGS3, Portable Ops (to a certain point. In Peace Walker, Kaz tells Snake (Big Boss) during the tutorial to "[...] leave all that crap in San Hieronymo behind..."), Peace Walker, Ground Zeroes, The Phantom Pain and he is the "antagonist"(?) in MG1 and MG2. MGS1 has some interesting characters that reappear in MGS4, and the story is well worth the time investment. As new games were released, they added subtle links to the story, sometimes answering stuff, sometimes creating more questions than before. To me, that's one of the key points of the series.

Just do a run on each game, focusing on the story, and after you're done with both arcs, go all out for the trophies. Godspeed with MGS4 lol.

• Like 2

This will probably sound biased, but do it for the story, then you can worry about 100% completion. MGS1 is part of the Solid Snake arc, which covers MG1, MG2, MGS1, MGS2 (less than half of it thanks to Raiden as protagonist, but the story involves him and his past) and MGS4. Big Boss arc goes through MGS3, Portable Ops (to a certain point. In Peace Walker, Kaz tells Snake (Big Boss) during the tutorial to "[...] leave all that crap in San Hieronymo behind..."), Peace Walker, Ground Zeroes, The Phantom Pain and he is the "antagonist"(?) in MG1 and MG2. MGS1 has some interesting characters that reappear in MGS4, and the story is well worth the time investment. As new games were released, they added subtle links to the story, sometimes answering stuff, sometimes creating more questions than before. To me, that's one of the key points of the series.

Just do a run on each game, focusing on the story, and after you're done with both arcs, go all out for the trophies. Godspeed with MGS4 lol.

Thx for the explanation. Well said.

Edited by NTGSruler