Rockin' but not Mega aka No Platinum

theJJ88

At least one developer has mentioned that you basically have to "apply" for a platinum trophy, which suggests if you don't do so, the game will automatically have the "small" trophy list. That makes more sense than any other explanation I've seen anyone use. It continues to make sense here when you factor in Capcom's reputation for not listening to fans/not being in touch with what the fans want.

You're taking that too seriously. It used to be a fairly common joke. Garfield would say it all the time on his Saturday morning cartoon show.

It had before, but apparently they dropped that.

Here's a developer who's works for Lab Zero games (Skullgirls) saying that they didn't even need to ask for a platinum set for 2nd Encore:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=174482559&postcount=183

It had before, but apparently they dropped that.

Here's a developer who's works for Lab Zero games (Skullgirls) saying that they didn't even need to ask for a platinum set for 2nd Encore:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=174482559&postcount=183

Interesting. That makes sense, too. And I'd say it's more proof that Capcom just doesn't get it.

But it still has trophies... just no platinum :P It would be different if they were saying "who even cares about the trophies" or something.

A platinum trophy is worth 180 points towards your overall Ranking where a gold is only worth 90. Oh Silver is 30 and Bronze is 15.

Once you get to the higher trophy levels these points are handy to have to increase your overall trophy ranking. Not to mention having that extra platinum.png trophy on your card always looks nicer then not having it at all smile.gif

But for me I like unlocking them as it shows you achieved something in the game.

As I posted before I would rather have 100 Bronze trophies than a cut down trophy list like the PS4 always gets.

But none the less I finished Mega Man 10 with its perfect trophy so I will still get this just annoyed is all.

I believe FuturLab (devs of Velocity Ultra and Velocity 2X) said once that while Sony has the final say on a platinum trophy, the developer can push for one. It's all based on the amount of content and replayability, I think. They said they had to really fight with Sony to get a platinum included in their games. I would be surprised if Capcom even bothered to apply for a platinum for this. Resident Evil 4 didn't have one either and should have. 

I am a HUGE Mega Man fan, but I can play these games whenever I want on my DS or my PC or even my NES. The selling points for me with this collection was that I wanted a platinum, and I wanted it on Vita. Unfortunately I got neither, so I think I'll be putting $15 towards something else. 

Edited by simula67
  • Like 1

Would've been better if they gave us the Mega Man X games, in my opinion.

Where the hell is Mega Man X these days? I would have loved to see a collection.

I believe FuturLab (devs of Velocity Ultra and Velocity 2X) said once that while Sony has the final say on a platinum trophy, the developer can push for one. It's all based on the amount of content and replayability, I think. They said they had to really fight with Sony to get a platinum included in their games. I would be surprised if Capcom even bothered to apply for a platinum for this. Resident Evil 4 didn't have one either and should have. 

I am a HUGE Mega Man fan, but I can play these games whenever I want on my DS or my PC or even my NES. The selling points for me with this collection was that I wanted a platinum, and I wanted it on Vita. Unfortunately I got neither, so I think I'll be putting $15 towards something else. 

Yeah, I agree with this. I have played Mega Mans 1-6 a LOT in my lifetime. I've probably run through Mega Man 3 (my personal favorite) 30 or more times. I really just wanted a plat here. I forgave Capcom the lack of a plat for the Arcade Cabinet, but here? I'll be waiting for a sale (or a freebie with PS+).

Edited by starcrunch061

I'm just looking at the trophy list now and I really don't think it's that great. So oviously, as discussed in this post there should be a platinum. In my opinion, completing each indiviual Mega Man game should earn you at least a silver trophy. There should be fun trophies with an example of one maybe being "Defeat Dr. Wily in Mega Man with 3 extra lives" and other things that you can pick up while playing the games through. This is just not a good trophy list!

I don't know why everyone's complaining about the number of trophies or the lack of a platinum in this collection, it's got a lot of trophies to collect: At least 50 gold medals that you have to get from doing challenges which I'm sure are time trials and whatnot. It's just that you won't be able to show them off to the internet because they're in-game achievements. :P

Edited by damon8r351

Snip

snip

snip

snip

snip

A former Sony developer commented on the fact that Outlast didn't have a plat thusly (my emphasis):

BY KHURRAM IMTIAZ - 

JANUARY, 28TH 2014

Outlast trophy list has been made available online and unfortunately, the game lacks a platinum trophy. This came as a surprise to a lot of users since it has been shown that games that are much shorter in scope can get platinum trophy like Resogun and Hotline Miami. A former Sony developer has clarified how trophies are allocated for a game, explaining that it all depends on a specific set of rules.

Kenny Linder, who previously worked for Sony’s Bigbig Studio and did work on a number of PSP and VITA titles explains the concept behind how trophies are allocated to games. “It doesn’t work like that, it’s dependent on game size, you can’t give any game a full Trophy set. [Outlast] must be quite short/small, hence the base set.” said Linder, in response to a user demanding a Platinum for Outlast.

“As a developer myself I can say it’s not down to the developer, the game has to fit into the criteria set by Sony. I’ve not played Outlast so I don’t know how big the game is, but Hotline Miami has a fair amount to it. Reasonably decent sized main game, lots of different weapons, different ways to play the game, in-depth ranking system etc. Outlast might be a much simpler game, perhaps more like Limbo or Thomas Was Alone in complexity.

And by size, I didn’t mean download size! :)

In response to a user, who explained that Outlast really doesn’t have all that much and has a relatively small scope compared games like Resogun and Hotline Miami, Linder said: “That sounds like it falls into “Small Scope Game” by Sony, so will would have the smaller Trophy set.”

He added: “Sony do not have input on what developers put in their games (besides a few no brainers), but there are rules regarding Large and Small scope games. There is also basic maths that you use to work out how many Trophies you can have in a game, and limits to how many of a certain Trophy type you can have (linked to the maths part). I would go into it further, but nobody seems to be listening anyway.”

So while Outlast might seem like a game that should have a Platinum trophy, it doesn’t really meet the criteria.

Via (NeoGAF)

Source: http://gearnuke.com/former-sony-dev-comments-outlasts-missing-platinum-trophy-explains-trophy-allocation-works/#(BUT I REALLY WOULDN'T RECOMMEND THAT YOU GO THERE UNLESS YOU LIKE ADS ALL OVER THE PLACE!!!)

A former Sony developer commented on the fact that Outlast didn't have a plat thusly (my emphasis):

Source: http://gearnuke.com/former-sony-dev-comments-outlasts-missing-platinum-trophy-explains-trophy-allocation-works/#(BUT I REALLY WOULDN'T RECOMMEND THAT YOU GO THERE UNLESS YOU LIKE ADS ALL OVER THE PLACE!!!)

I don't remember what I said, was I just complaining about it not having a platinum? Because I know all this, and the Mega Man set totes deserves one.

Yeah, I've read that (and another dev saying the same thing). I can understand it for games that give you a lot of options on how to go about things (like using a different weapon throughout the game, etc could explain why some short games can still be considered a "large scope" game even if they can be completed in a few hours plat-wise), but then there are the exceptions that don't make sense (Megamind, NCIS, etc). I suppose they could have had different rules back then?

A former Sony developer commented on the fact that Outlast didn't have a plat thusly (my emphasis):

Source: http://gearnuke.com/former-sony-dev-comments-outlasts-missing-platinum-trophy-explains-trophy-allocation-works/#(BUT I REALLY WOULDN'T RECOMMEND THAT YOU GO THERE UNLESS YOU LIKE ADS ALL OVER THE PLACE!!!)

So if I understand correctly there are 6 games in this collection. Based on this quote, that should be more than enough content to justify a platinum, right?

So who fucked up; Capcom or Sony?

Frankly, I think a couple of trophies that could've been added and at least wouldn't hurt would be things like "Finding the Balloon and Wire Adaptors in Mega Man 4" or "Unlocking Beat in Mega Man 5 and 6" or even finding Proto Man in Mega Man 6 and getting the Energy Balancer. Things like that wou;d've easily contributed to the list.

Though thank god for no Mr. Perfect. That would've been pretty much impossible thanks to Mega Man 2 and 3's wonky hitboxes.

I can't say I'm surprised.

Capcom seems to have a habit of this. Just look at Resident Evil 4. Or Code Veronica. Or Mega Man 10. Or Ducktales Remastered.

I don't understand why certain games have them and others don't. It seems arbitrary to me. 

Like, the Journey, Flow, and Flower physical release has a platinum. But separate, digital releases don't. So that leads me to believe that a certain amount of trophies are required.

The Back to the Future digital release had 5 separate episodes and no platinum. The physical release had the same trophies and a platinum. So I really think a certain amount of trophies coupled with a physical release is the perfect recipe for a platinum. 

In fact, I can only think of a very small handful of physical disc releases that don't have platinums. 

So, I can only guess that retail releases are required to have a platinum, with only a couple notable exceptions.

Digital releases, on the other hand, aren't required to have a platinum, but could potentially have one if they meet a certain amount/type criteria. 

Yeah, I've read that (and another dev saying the same thing). I can understand it for games that give you a lot of options on how to go about things (like using a different weapon throughout the game, etc could explain why some short games can still be considered a "large scope" game even if they can be completed in a few hours plat-wise), but then there are the exceptions that don't make sense (Megamind, NCIS, etc). I suppose they could have had different rules back then?

Remember, those games also start out as retail games.

So that leads me to believe that a certain amount of trophies are required.

Must have at least 9-10 trophies + plat.

Edited by MMDE

• 5 months later...

capcom is so damn smart. by adding in the word legacy in this collection, it saves them 4 games. they can spin the story around whichever way they like by saying 7 to 10 do not belong to the legacy collection as they did not originate on the NES.

i believe sony really fuckup on their policies with regards to trophies if there is any. the most irritating thing is xbone version had 24 achievements / 1000 gamescore and pc version had 24 achievement as well. so why ps4 version is getting short changed. well... not the end of the world though, guess gotta live with it. i will just get this at a super low price then be it retail or digital.

• 5 months later...

[...] the most irritating thing is xbone version had 24 achievements / 1000 gamescore and pc version had 24 achievement as well. so why ps4 version is getting short changed. well... not the end of the world though, guess gotta live with it. i will just get this at a super low price then be it retail or digital.

This makes me so mad. In addition to removing the Platinum, they removed some sensible Achievements (such as finishing all six games, sensible stuff) in lieu of making some others silver or gold on PS4. Hogwash.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...