have you ever had your PS3 get a YLOD.?

BDKSimba

have you ever had your PS3 get a yellow light of death(YLOD).? or have had 1 get YLOD.? what was the problem that gave it the YLOD? how did you go about repairing it.? or did you replace it? did you loose any data? or were you able to save your data.?

in My case, I had a 60 gig fatty that died on Me in early January of 2010. I had no idea on how to go about repairing it back then. now is a different story. but, I sent it in to Sony and they said they don't repair the 60 gig anymore and that for a $150 they would replace it with a brand new 120 gig slim. that to this day I'm still rocking. but for sure this time around I make use of the plus cloud cause I lost all My data. I think they said it was something wrong with the reader or something. there is My YLOD story. what's yours.?

So they replaced it for 150............thats actually really good. I should get PS+ to save to the cloud.

Here's my question, if I have a 320 GB harddrive in my fat and if it does die what do I lose when I put it into a new one?

You'll lose everything. The PS3 will format the HDD when you start it up, so the only way to keep your saves is to back them up on either a USB drive or external HDD, then let the PS3 format the bigger HDD. After that hook up the external or USB drive and copy the saves over.

To answer the OP, I've never had the YLOD. I bought my 60gb PS3 on launch day and it's been running perfect ever since. I've had an occasional hiccup or freeze here and there but nothing major. When GT5 released I bought a new 320gb PS3 (the Move bundle) because I knew I'd be pouring serious hours into my PS3 and didn't want to risk harming my original. No issues to report with my slim either.

I've bought every PlayStation on release day (as well as every Gran Turismo) and every single one of them still works perfectly. I know people have complained about the lasers in PS1 and PS2's going out, but I suppose I've just been lucky.

Parker

i have had 3 PS3's my first one had a Disk Drive failure or whatever, i paid £145 to get a refurbished one and then that one got the YLOD, now it sits on a unit in my room, i have had my new Slim for a while now, i couldn't be bothered to actually fix it so i just got a new one, lol

My 40gb Fat PS3 Died 3 months ago. :( still havent fixed it :(

I've bought every PlayStation on release day (as well as every Gran Turismo) and every single one of them still works perfectly. I know people have complained about the lasers in PS1 and PS2's going out, but I suppose I've just been lucky.

oh, and my Launch Day Ps2 is still working :) im doing GT4 Bspec right now :D

My 40gb Fat PS3 Died 3 months ago. :( still havent fixed it :(

oh, and my Launch Day Ps2 is still working :)im doing GT4 Bspec right now :D

It would've been nice if the B-Spec in GT5 worked liked it does in GT4. It would make the 24 hour races much more bearable (although they're still very fun, especially playing with the wife) and I think it would stop a lot of complaints about the game.

Parker

I had a YLOD on my fat, but it happened after I upgraded the HDD to a bigger and faster one. The speed was probably the issue, as the 7200 rpms burn about 2-5 degrees hotter than a 5400 rpm. It didn't happen for about 8 months after I upgraded it, but I'm guessing that slight increase of temperature made the solder melt gradually over time. I shipped my PS3 to a buddy to have him fix it. He fixed it, and shipped it back. On the way back UPS broke it. I got the PS3 and it was smashed to hell. Luckily, we had it insured, so after about 6 months, UPS gave me $300 and I bought a slim. They let me keep the fat, so I just did a HDD transfer and didn't lose anything.

• 4 months later...

I have fortunately never gotten the YLOD but I have had my sytems corrupt on me and I have had to format the HDD (before there was cloud backups :( It happened twice on my 40G fat, and once about a week after I upgraded to a Slim. I found out why the system was messing up (it was also corrupting sometimes but I did not have to format it as the system sometimes was able to retrieve everything) it was because my dad had it plugged it into a switchboard and was shutting the entertainment system down for the night like that. So the that was the problem, after that I got an extension cord, plugged it in to another outlet, and ensured the system had to be shut down by pressing the power switch (my parents dont know how to shut off the system by utilizing the PS button :P ) Oh, I almost forgot, I did have the system freak out, but the system did back itself up. So pretty much my PS3 has been running (HARD as I use it all the time) without a charm. One last thing, If your fan is going on all the time, I recommend you CAREFULLY take your system out and get a vacuum, take an attachment and use it on the vents and airholes of your PS3. I have done that and every time I do, my system's fan rarely has to go on, and overall the system is dramatically quieter, and it probably increases the systems life as it does not get too hot. So yeah, that's my story.

I am a two time winner of the YLOD. Both times it was the old fat PS3s (60gb) and both times the system was in my possession for roughly 20 months. The first time it happened I sent in my system and they sent me a refurbished one which went down after the same amount of time the first one did. Rather than send that one in to get another refurbished one I just upgraded to a 250gb slim which has worked fine so far, but I'm now in the magic 20th month owning the system. So hopefully it doesn't make me a winner again. ;)

My old fat PS3 is now doing it's new job as a book end on my shelf next to the few strategy guides I own and someday will probably double as a conversation piece.

off topic, since ive never gotten a YLOD, but one of my ps3's broke... i had an 80GB phat, and it stopped ejecting discs, so i just got it replaced. i got a 250gb slim for free, since i had the warrantee

forgot to mention i got a 40GB phat, still in working condition for free from my neighbor a couple weeks ago :) because hes trying to get a slim

First time - Phat 40GB. Had it for over a year, then one day I decided to turn on the wifi for the first time Ever. Stated playing FF, 5 minuets in, Solid Red - Shut Down - Restart - YLOD...

Fixed the first time by re-floating the CPU. Lasted about 1 month before the second YLOD. Fixed it a second time by re-float. Put it in the box, and bought a Slim. I was able to save ALL my data.

However recently, my buddy's Slim's Disk Drive died. So I took my old Phat out of the box, and lent it to him until Sony repair's his. So far it's been working like a champ. Can't imagine it will last very long though.

Photo0041.jpg

♫ Memories! ♫

How did I miss this thread?

Same here Owl, I completely missed this one, and I have checked older posts a few times....ah well.

Anyway, not a YLOD per se, but I did have the Blue-Ray spindle fail on my first PS3 after only 32 days. So while that one was shipped off to get fixed (which was hassle free I will add), I went and purchased 2 more....one for the bedroom and another still in the box for backup.