Your first playthrough *spoilers permitted inside proceed with caution!*

xZoneHunter

First of all i'm going to say, spoilers are allowed. Otherwise it'll be a chore to write and read the comments. 

It's 5am and i have just finished my first playthrough of Until Dawn, the credits are rolling and the theme song is playing in the background. Perfect time to write some of my thoughts on a game forum! 

The game started off great. We met the characters, maybe even decided who we liked and who didn't. The setting was set and we were ready for a creepy night at the lodge. It doesn't take long before we met our *first* villain, the creepy clown aka Josh. For some reason i had a hunch that the maniac was someone from the 8 teens, but i never exactly knew who. Although i must say that i doubted my reasoning when i found some clues about a mystery maniac but all in all i kept believing the culprit was someone from the group. When, in my case, Chris got to play his first choosing game, i picked Josh. To my surprise Josh died anyway! After i ruled out Chris and Josh i kind of suspected Mike was the possible maniac, since i never really liked him from the beginning. He seemed kinda like an asshole. 

Along the way i got some good scares. Most memorable were the ghost scares in the basement and the creepy doll house! -Dolls are my weakness, damn you childhood trauma Chuckie!- But then i kind of got my mind blown away by the second choosing game. I chose to shoot Ashley. Honestly i'd have chosen to shoot myself (chris) since it is a game, and some part of you wants to act like the brave hero. But i thought to myself, if i were Chris there is no way i'm just going to commit suicide just to save my crush. So i ended up shooting Ashley. To my surprise Josh revealed himself as the "mystery maniac" and what's more? ASHLEY ISN'T DEAD! They were freaking blanks. My god i've never felt so bad in a game before. At that moment i really wished i could load a previous save and shoot myself, chris, in the FACE. But alas, i accepted my fate and went on with the game.

Some events occurred and we got to know that there are these beings, wendigos (Anybody seen SUPERNATURAL??? :D) and the actual mystery man is just a helpful fella who is killing these monsters for years! Josh has gotten locked up in a nearby shed earlier, so Chris and the mystery man set out to rescue josh from the wendigo claws. But unfortunately we were too late. Josh had probably become a wendigo snack. A sad occurrence but who can feel bad for him at this point? I sure don't! After checking the shed for some collectibles, I controlled my character back to the lodge. But surprise, surprise! The Wendigo hasn't left yet! He jumps out of nowhere and snatches off the mystery man's HEAD! In seconds, the situation changed from a little bit scary, to HOLY FUCK I NEED TO GET OUTTA HERE - scary! I rush back pressing all the necessary QTE when that motherfucking monster appeared in front of me out of nowhere! Being the chicken that i am, i'm scared shitless and ofcourse i miss the SHOT! The wendigo had Chris for a nighttime snack and it was all my fault! Damn it! And if that wasn't enough i get to see Ashley staring out of the window looking at Chris' decapitated head....

The remaining group took refuge in the basement. Where we discovered that Emily was bitten earlier. Mike loses his shit -but doesn't shoot Emily- and leaves towards the insane asylum to find Josh, in an attempt to find a way to escape from this nightmare. He goes alone. SERIOUSLY, WHO DOES THAT?? Has Mike never watched a horror movie before? You don't go to insane asylums ALONE... Anyway while Mike is running towards his death most likely, Ashley is uncovering scary truths about the wendigos. Also they find out wendigos aren't part zombie so Emily's bite is harmless.

Going to more interesting parts, we arrive at the insane asylum. Mike has some seriously big balls since he has no problem opening up freezers with bodies inside of them. Going into strange rooms and picking up letters lying onto skeletons. Watching creepy old movies about a nurse torturing a guy while he is turning into a wendigo. Looking at creepy dead people's pictures in various files. Seriously who the fuck does these things?! Anyway our trusty wolfie leads the way through the asylum when we arrive in the basement. Where our mystery guy, the helpful fella from before, has been keeping his pet wendigos! I rush outside, while blasting randomly with my shotgun. (wolfie dies in the progress RIP) I find my way back and i manage to pull of a big explosion killing some wendigos in the progress and getting myself to safety. Job well done Mike! 

Meanwhile our three little musketeers are checking out the sewers, for some reason? Anyway all is going well when i suddenly hear a faint voice in the distance. My character, Ashley, silently shouts, "Jessica?". Finally something starts to turn up good. Jessica, who i thought to have been killed quite a while ago, might still be alive! I went off my path to investigate the noise and i find the peculiar trapdoor. I see the trapdoor moving and it seems like there is someone under it! I rejoice, and open the trapdoor fast to rescue Jessica. I finally manage to get it open when to my surprise i don't see anybody in there. I turn over to get a better look and OH MY GOD A WENDIGO JUMPS ME AND SLICES MY HEAD OFF! I almost fell out of my chair when i realized i had killed off yet another person.

Feeling quite horrified i moved on. Emily and Sam got split up but Sam met up with Mike. Together they found their way into the lair of the wendigo('s). To their surprise they find Josh there who is talking gibberish. I can only sympathize with Josh because i've seen his horrific hallucinations that he is experiencing, just a while ago. Sam climbs out of the lair while Josh and Mike go back into the mines. While we make our way out, josh gets killed in the progress by his turned-into-wendigo - sister. A tragic turn of events but he had it coming, sort of. 

Moving on Sam, Emily and Mike make it back to the lodge, only to find that it had been overran with wendigo creatures. Some tense moments pass and Mike ended up blown to shreds by Sam, or rather me the player. I see the lodge, where i've been experiencing a nightmare for the last couple of hours, on fire. In the distance i hear a helicopter coming and the subtitles on my screen read "I see two survivors! Picking them up now!" I realize the nightmare has come to an end. I feel relieved yet at the same time i feel regret that i couldn't save more people... The credits started rolling and the theme song started playing. 

These are the consequences caused by my actions;

• Sam: Escaped
  • Mike: Blown up in the Lodge along with the wendigo's
  • Ashley: Got her head ripped off by a wendigo in the mines
  • Emily: Escaped
  • Chris: Died by a wendigo because of a failed QTE
  • Jessica: Died by a wendigo in the mines
  • Josh: Died by his turned-into-a-wendigo - sister in the mines
  • Matt: Died by a wendigo in the mines. Cause of death? Being treated as clothing (the wendigo "hooked" him up  :giggle: )

All in all a sad excuse for an ending.... 

So how did your night at the winter lodge go?

Edited by xZoneHunter
  • Like 1

• Emily: Blown up in the Lodge, too
  • Chris: Escaped
  • Jessica: Died by a wendigo in the mines, running away with Matt
  • Josh: Died by his turned-into-a-wendigo - sister in the mines
  • Matt: Died by a wendigo in the mines, died minutes after Jessica because my "let everybody survive run" was already fucked up thanks to the trapdoor with Ashley, i decided to let some more die :lol:

Sadly they all died at the very end of the night.

Short version:

the only people who survived in my first playthrough were Sam, Emily, Chris and Josh.

The rest died along the way. :D

Slightly longer version:

Matt was the first to die; I tried to save Emily despite the fact I really didn't like the way she acted. He didn't have the flare gun - idiot shot it right away; I don't know how you can keep him from doing so. If he had it, he might have survived the Wendigo attack.

The rest of the people were alive till the end.

When I tried to escape with Jessica I didn't pay attention and failed the motion sensor event when she was hiding. The rest of the group survived until they were back in the house, Chris and Emily managed to leave the house and - I don't really know why, that moment I didn't even thought about what I was doing - I just ran for the switch instead of hiding so that Ashley and Mike could escape as well. My brain was empty that moment and I just wanted to get out of the house. *haha*

And well Josh turned into a Wendigo himself in the end.

I decided to join the group with Ashley instead of checking on the noise.

Though Emily was bitten I let her stay and also told her that she would be okay, though that didn't help with her relationship with Ashley.

The wolf died because I didn't barricade the door & I had to cut off Mike's fingers.

All in all I had a lot of fun with the game and tested different choices when I replayed it. Killing everyone was fun as well as saving everyone.

I loved every horrid moment of this game. It made me think... especially after the doll house incident, "Who is the psycho? It has to be Josh, trying to get revenge!" (Totally nailed it) The Chris and Ashley "choose who you shoot" game... I didn't want to shoot either of them. So I did nothing. After all, the game tells you that sometimes doing nothing is the right thing. The amount of jump scares was... plentiful. I certainly almost pissed myself a few times. (Not exactly the greatest at handling horror movie things... thank you sister for watching Chucky in front of me when I was 3... seeing a doll walk out of a fireplace on fire saying he's going to kill them is very disturbing when you're a wee lad) I think my favorite character was Jessica or Sam. Jessica was that typical preppy, dumb blonde, yet she was also fearless... even if yelling outside caused her to fall into the mines in the first place. (If you want her to live, DON'T RUN! I learned the hard way. Especially since running from the wendigos had been working for everyone else, I thought, "Why not?" Ohh... the gore. Reminded me of a death scene from The Last of Us if you got grabbed by a Bloater *shudders at the thought* Sam was just that fearless bada** chick that also wound up having a bath scene...  :wub:  :lol:  <3 I absolutely couldn't stand Emily. Matt was alright as he seemed to care about what was going on around him. Until he decided to shoot the flare right away. (How stupid could he be?) Then the tower fell... Then I saw a board of sorts with the people on it and noticed that Emily's eyes were "x"ed out. I was like... I kinda figured she died from the tower crushing her into snow. Later... she's hanging by a rail and I'm like "How did you live?" But hey. Matt died by being thrown onto a hook. Oh my lord... that was gruesome. At that time, I did think it was the psycho though... I can't imagine being thrown onto a hook under your jaw and... ugh. I felt terrible when Jessica died. It looked terrible too. I really liked Mike. I found him strikingly similar to Ryan from Beyond Two Souls... no clue why. I fell in love with Ashley and Chris... maybe because I can relate to them as the "too scared of what'll happen if you say something" overthinker kinda type. I regrettably went towards the voice with Ashley looking for my fav Jess... only to be freaked the f**k out by the wendigo. Josh died from his sister. Nuff said. I had a decent ending going, kinda liked the idea of Sam and Mike together, although I did prefer Jesssica with him because they were the kind of sexcapading-highschoolers every horror film needs. I kinda felt like their relationship (Mike and Sam) was growing in the end. And then the end. Chris, Sam, Emily, and Matt are left. I have to stay still with Sam... and my dog picks his head up and knocks my controller out of my hand, and I'm left with the choice (after a very interesting wendigo vs. wendigo fight) a grueling beat-down on Mike and a flaming cabin, where Chris and Sam live, and Mike and Emily die. All in all, it was a great experience, and I am looking forward to seeing Jess reunite with Mike as well as seeing what happens when everyone lives, and everyone dies. 

Edited by Im2Fast_4U

Interesting.. For me the only survivors were Ashley and Chris.. The two love birds. hahahahaha.

Josh got left in the mine. But he didn't die for me.. or at least I don't think so because at the end of the credits I had a extra scene that showed him turning into a Wendigo while people were coming to look for survivors. So I wouldn't say he is dead.. He is just a Wendigo like his sister.

I really like how they did the police interviews in the credits. 

I can't wait to finish up the rest of the playthroughs and trophies

Interesting.. For me the only survivors were Ashley and Chris.. The two love birds. hahahahaha.

Josh got left in the mine. But he didn't die for me.. or at least I don't think so because at the end of the credits I had a extra scene that showed him turning into a Wendigo while people were coming to look for survivors. So I wouldn't say he is dead.. He is just a Wendigo like his sister.

I really like how they did the police interviews in the credits. 

I can't wait to finish up the rest of the playthroughs and trophies

Wow this Josh turning into a Wendigo sounds awesome :devil:

I just finished the game and first off, I absolutely loved this game, pretty much all jumpscares got me (I'm very easy to scare) and they were all awesome although a few of them sere pretty cheap, I still liked them. I never thought this game was gonna be so scary, I had the thought it was gonna be similar to Heavy Rain and I'm glad it wasnt.

The story was great, it was like playing a horror movie, I loved pretty much all of the plot although kind of wish they hadn't done the supernatural thing, but whatever, those things were scary as hell.

• Sam: Survived, but I almost died in the end when you couldnt move the controller, that was tense
  • Mike: Saved by Sam
  • Ashley: Almost opened that trapdoor in the mines, I'm so glad I didn't. She escaped too
  • Matt: He died in the mines after the tower fell, I have no idea how to save this guy
  • Chris: Escaped too
  • Jessica: She survived
  • Josh: Got his head crushed by Hannah, poor little crazy dude.
  • Emily: She escaped, I almost shot her with Mike for being annoying but I didn't.

I'm looking forward to another playthrough

• Like 1

Well, that was fucking awesome!

I'll do a longer write up at some point - I need to go to bed now as it's actually dawn here! - but the short version is everyone survived, except:

Josh: Hannah-digo got him in the pool;

Jess: Hannah-digo ripper her jaw off;

Ashley: disobeyed the first rule of horror movies and went off on her own to investigate a noise - Hannah-digo ripped her head off.

Wolfie survived though!

• Like 1

Mike: Died in exlosion after Sam flipped the switch

Ashley: Escaped

Emily: Died in the explosion, after bitten by a wendigo

Chris: Ashley refused to let him in, leading him to get killed by wendigos 

Jessica: Escaped

Josh: Head crushed by his sister-turned-wendigo Hannah

Matt: Hanged on a hook by a wendigo in the mines 

clashrogers.png

Edited by clashrogers

Okay, just finished my no-spoiler playthrough (didn't know what any of the trophies were, etc.).  

The only trophies I got were 1) hit the psycho with vase, 2) cut off fingers, 3) let emily live, 4) wolf survives, 5) ashley opens trap door (whoops!), 6) jessica survives.

Matt died early on, as others have said he shot off the flare gun right away, and couldn't defend himself in the mine.

Chris died because he/I started to aim for the wendigo, then decided to try for the barrel instead and didn't shoot either one (not fast enough).

Ashley died when she opened the trap door.

Sam died at the very end when she/I chose to save Mike but then couldn't hold still (too twitchy).

Mike and Emily got out of the cabin at the end.

Jessica got out of the mine.

Josh ended up turned into a wendigo.

Loved the game overall, I especially liked Chris, Josh, and Sam's characters.  

I will probably give it a few weeks before I go back for a trophy clean-up.  

I like how the end credits have each character recapping in their own way.

Edited by Time4Tiddy

Mike: Escaped

Ashley: Invesitagted Jessica voice, opened a cabin underground and a wendigo grabed and toke her head apart

Emily: Escaped

Chris:Escaped

Jessica: Escaped

Josh: turned into a wendigo 

Matt: Escaped

Flamethrowing guy: Died in front of chris by getting his head slashed off by wendigo fingers 

already platinumed so saved and killed everyone

did anyone else notice at the start everyones complaining its sub freezing even tho they are all wearing heavy clothing yet later they are running around in normal clothes and not dying of the cold? or complaining i mean if i was running around in a tank top out there or in whatever sam had on at the end id be freeezing but nope all fine lol

or how we see a windigo flick a claw across and sever a  heavy steal cable capable up holding up and supporting the fire tower yet couldnt get out of a jail cell or off a chain?

this game is amazing i loved how they pretty much used every horror movie staple and clech'e well except the hot naked chicks but eh the esrp ratings etc

Only Mike, Emily and Ashley survived. Everyone else was involuntarily slaughtered but hey makes going for the no lives trophy easier lol.

The wendigos were a good twist on the whole thing, makes it different. Just like the OP, I immediately thought of Supernatural when they were mentioned.

Matt: Escaped with Jess

Jess: Escaped with Matt

Sam: Escaped

Chris: escaped

Emily: Escaped

Josh: Wendigo

Victor: Died :'(

All in all a good ending buuut there were a few fractured relationships in the interviews which goes as

Emily hating Matt

Emily hating Mike

And Emily hating Ashley

Gotta say really awesome game was not expecting the twist with the Wendigo monsters!

Here is my first playthrough:

Sam - Survived. 

Ashley - Died in explosion at the end.

Emily - Shot her in the head (haha she was a bitch)

Jess - As Matt I kept running away from the Wendigo resulting in Jessicas mouth to be ripped open.

Chris - Survived. 

Josh - Head exploded from a Wendigo.

Mike - Died in explosion at the end.

Matt - Survived, he would have died if he tried to save Emily luckily I wanted her dead. But then she was still alive

so I was happy to shoot her in the face afterwards haha  :)

• Sam: Killed by wendigo at the end. I swear my controller was not moving!
  • Mike: Escaped.
  • Emily: Mike shot her.
  • Chris: Killed by wendigo in the mines, after finding Ashley's hat.
  • Jessica: Mike was to late to save her.
  • Josh: Dragged away by his sister.
  • Matt: Got hooked.

Now I don't know what to go for next :P

Edited by Zarmatura93

I played through first without looking up any trophies as I wanted to enjoy the story and not get side-tracked, or have any of my decisions influenced by trophies. I loved every minute of the game!

• Emily: Blown up in the Lodge along with the wendigo's
  • Chris: Escaped
  • Jessica: Died by a wendigo in the mines
  • Josh: Taken by his wendigo sister and turned himself
  • Matt: Died by a wendigo in the mines. Cause of death? Being treated as clothing (the wendigo "hooked" him up   :giggle: )

I started my second playthrough last night and will do a little more tonight before Metal Gear unlocks to try and save them all.

Sam: Survived

Mike: Blown up in lodge

Emily: Shot by Mike

Matt: Killed by Wendigo when outside mine

Jessica: Wendigo in mines

Chris: Wendigo after one kills Victor

Ashley: Wendigo after opening hatch

Josh: Wendigo in the water

Only survivor was Sam. Hoping to go for Jessica as the sole survivor next. Should be interesting.

• Sam: Died at the end. GOD DAMMIT SO CLOSE!!! I loved her! 

Mike: Saved by sam

Ashley: Escaped.

Matt: Survived but I found him the most boring

Chris: Escaped too. He and ash are really awesome together!

Jessica: Died because I thought mike would not be able to make the jump because his hands were full.

Josh: Died. The actor playing him, forgot the name, was the best one of the cast. Which is not to say that the rest were bad, everybody was brilliant, but damn that's some award winning material!

Emily: She escaped. Although I am looking forward to the playthrough where I kill everybody because she is the most annoying character in the game. Which is a compliment for the actress and the writers.

Now Beginning the second playthrough, hoping to get the they all live trophy :D Wicked game!!

Edited by Johnathan994

• 4 weeks later...

Sam: Died in the lodge after failing to stay still.

Chris: Escaped

Jessica: Mike stumbled due to a failed QTE, so she died in the elevator.

Josh: Alive

Emily: Shot by Mike in the basement

Matt: Survived.

I wanted Sam to make it, but my hand fell asleep and slipped. Sam and Chris were my favorite characters, so I couldn't justify Chris being grief-stricken with losing Ashley, so I let her live too. Couldn't stand Emily, so had Mike shoot her first chance I got.

Began the second playthrough in the hopes of keeping them all alive, and stumbled with Mike again, so no more Jessica....again. So now I'll just kill all of them off, and use a 3rd playthrough for letting them all survive.

Just completed Until Dawn today , Sam and Emily were the only characters who didn't die on me. ( scariest game ever, nearly had to change my underwear ! )

Sam : Escaped .

Emily :Escaped .

Mike : Blown up in the lodge along with the Wendigos .

Jessica: Died by a Wendigo after failing to stay still down in the mine.

Ashley : Died after going to investigate the strange noise down the mine. ( freakin' jumpscare )

Chris : Died a few minutes after Ashley even after choosing the opposite route.

Josh : Head crushed by a Wendigo.

Matt : Died inside the mine during chapter 6.

Edited by adam-1996_911