Were you a trophy hunter from day one?

Dreakon139

For those of us here who love our trophies and our platinum's, did you feel that way the second Sony added trophies and games started getting released with them? Or did it take you a little bit to go balls out trophy hunting?

For example, when I first got my PS3 late last year, I really didn't think twice about the trophies. I thought it was cool, but I really didn't try to get them. If they popped up, then so be it.

Now look at me, I'm a trophy collecting MADMAN! By my standards... ;)

I love all of my games, but I'll admit some I pretty much only play still for the trophies. I won't buy games that don't have trophies. Etc, etc, etc.

Trophies were around before I bought my PS3, although I wasn't a hunter or a whore at first. However, once I started reading their descriptions on the XMB and going through Final Fantasy XIII, I decided I wanted to challenge myself and get them all. From then on, I tried to plat every game I played.

Nope, never have been a trophy hunter and more than likely never will. I've been a gamer for a long, long time and no system before the 360 and now the PS3 had an achievement or trophy system, so it's never been a big deal to me. I would never pass a game up just because it doesn't have trophies (does this mean you haven't played MGS4, Dreakon!?!?!?) but since I bought my PS3 on launch day I was used to playing pS3 games with no trophies. If you bought a PS3 after trophies were introduced I can see how you could be more into them.

Plus, I'm a Pokemon fan so I get all my collecting done there. ;)

Parker

(does this mean you haven't played MGS4, Dreakon!?!?!?)

I'll shed a little honesty on this thread. I have owned two PS3's in my life. Mid-last year I bought a PS3 and got a little tired of it, sold it and got an Xbox. Then late November I noticed a lot of really good deals on PS3's and bundles and whatnot, so I dove back in. My girlfriend hated that I lost a bit of money in this console swapping process, but in the end I got what I really wanted... so it was worth it. ;)

In that first PS3's life, I played some MGS4. Wasn't wow'ed with it, so I didn't bother with it the second time around. In the first PS3's life, is when I didn't care about trophies. Since the second PS3, I've become a bit addicted. ;)

I've been tempted to give MGS4 another shot but the lack of trophies pretty much counts that out.

I'll shed a little honesty on this thread. I have owned two PS3's in my life. Mid-last year I bought a PS3 and got a little tired of it, sold it and got an Xbox. Then late November I noticed a lot of really good deals on PS3's and bundles and whatnot, so I dove back in. My girlfriend hated that I lost a bit of money in this console swapping process, but in the end I got what I really wanted... so it was worth it. ;)

In that first PS3's life, I played some MGS4. Wasn't wow'ed with it, so I didn't bother with it the second time around. In the first PS3's life, is when I didn't care about trophies. Since the second PS3, I've become a bit addicted. ;)

I've been tempted to give MGS4 another shot but the lack of trophies pretty much counts that out.

Completely understandable. I know many people who couldn't get into MGS for various reasons (mainly the long cutscenes) but I still maintain that MGS4 (the whole series really) is one of the absolute greatest games of all time.

Have you played the earlier games? If not, MGS 2, 3 and Peacewalker are coming to PS3 with trophies, so that may give you the push you need to play MGS4. :D

Parker

Have you played the earlier games? If not, MGS 2, 3 and Peacewalker are coming to PS3 with trophies, so that may give you the push you need to play MGS4. :D

I was so-so with Metal Gear Solid 1, loved Metal Gear Solid 2 and didn't really like Metal Gear Solid 3. It's a pretty hit and miss series with me. The little I played of MGS4 had potential, but there were games I wanted to play more in the brief time I had it.

I'd definitely give it another shot if they released a trophy patch. ;)

Unfortunately there's a very slim chance of that happening.

It's a shame to see that you're willing to miss out on one of the greatest games of all time, Dreak.

As I said, I tried it briefly and wasn't terribly in love with it or anything. My official stance is that I'm spending that time playing other "greatest games of all time"... :P

Trophies weren't around when I first got my PS3, but once they arrived, I did and still do enjoy earning them.

I am not "driven" to earn them like many are, nor do I go too far out of my way in earning them (whoring I think many call it), but I do enjoy earning the occasional trophy or two.

For me it is "fun first, trophies later."

Nope. Actually I was a bit puzzled about those annoying *ding* thingies at the top right of my screen. Took me some time to figure out what those things were and where to check which trophies a game had to offer. I really started going for trophies when I replayed Dead Space for the third time and decided to get the rest of those *ding thingies* out of the way while I was at it.

/me considers claiming dingthingies.com :hmm:

no not really. was playing 1 day and was checking out the xmb and thought it awesome if I would be able to fill up all the trophies for GTAIV cause it was 1 of the games My friends didn't have the Platinum for. I read the requirements for the Plats and thought them all doable. and that's how it all started for Me. this was about mid or late 09. even though I Plated RE5 1st. ;)

My friend had a PS3 since day 1, and it damn near killed me to have to go over his house to play it. But i was in and out of the hospital for 6months, so i couldn't get one.

So when the slim finally came out, I was in the hospital with 350$ to blow in the paypal. Can you guess what i did? Yep! I bought a tampon I bought a 120gb PS3! And when i got home, it was a cold snow covered december 8th, 2009. At 7pm, the UPS guy came and gave me my ps3.

Pluged it in,and platinumed Burnout in 5 days.

In a word, yes. I had been following the progress of the trophy system before it was implemented. I bought Super Stardust HD, the first trophy-enabled game, the first day it hit the PlayStation Store, just for the sake of getting trophies. Looking back on it now, I don't know why or how I was excited about trophies. I feel like myself from the future had to go back to tell myself to collect trophies. Just this weird paradox.

• 2 weeks later...

When I first discovered trophies I had just started Brutal Legend, I think this was Boxing Day 2009, they were a complete surprise to me, but as soon as I found out about trophies I wanted them all, although at this point I was a pretty mediocre completionist but I have progressively improved my skills, now trophies inform my deciding as to whether I will buy a game of not. If they are easy or moderate, that will encourage me to buy it, but it they're hard that might put me off completely, *cough* Demons' Souls, F1 2010 *cough*.

I discovered trophies while playing WAW I was like what are these lol my friend explained to me and when I got my WAW plat like most people I was hooked lol.

It brings a whole new meaning to gaming for me being able to go through the game and do things u wouldn't normal do.

i have never really bothered with trophies, i do collect them but i am not in a hurry to get them all i do them every so often. the only game i have platinum on by myself is la noire the other plats are what my friend did and he is trophy mad lol so not really bothered about them but do collect.

Not sure if I consider myself a hunter or not. I'm really into trophies as a means to an end - feeling satisfied I've experienced all content in the game, usually overcoming some challenge in the process. Otherwise I found myself aimlessly playing (especially with sports related titles I own). With limited time to play, trophies really focus my gameplay sessions.

• Like 1