What's your main media leaning: Western or Japanese?

Zenpai

106 members have voted

1. 1. What's your main media leaning: Western or Japanese?

• 100% Western, 0% Japanese
    • 80% Western, 20% Japanese
    • 60% Western, 40% Japanese
    • 50% Western, 50% Japanese
    • 40% Western, 60% Japanese
    • 20% Western, 80% Japanese
    • 0% Western, 100% Japanese

Whether it be games, movies, TV shows or (comic) books, generally, within the legions of nerd-dom, everyone has either a Western or Eastern leaning. It's the single greatest division in our ranks, though most of us do dabble a bit in both, and some don't have a leaning at all, liking both equally. Most, if not all people with Japanese leaning also like some Western stuff, but there are some people that never crossed the "exotic barrier" towards liking Japanese media (or just don't like it at all) and therefore have a 100% Western leaning.

The question here is: in percentage, how much do you lean towards one or the other?

Personally, I'd say I'm about 80% Japanese, 20% Western. I used to be the exact opposite a few years ago, but when I finally crossed the exotic barrier, I was just awestruck at how much good stuff the Japanese produced. I do like some Western things and sometimes even purposefully seek them to get some variety, but the fact is that Japanese media have immense variety and it's the only place you can get that special exoticness.

What about you guys?

And don't be afraid to put your own custom percentage (95% Western, 5% Japanese, for example) in the comments!

Hmm interesting...For me it has been alot of both over the years, but when I really start to look into the games that influenced me the most when I was a kid it's the Japanese. I grew up with Metal Gear and Final Fantasy. I was also really into manga and the culture, but I dont read manga that much anymore. Just my favorites. For movies it's always been about the western stuff for me really and of course I've played alot of western games. I'd say it's about 60/40 Japan/Western.

Edited by LovesAnInjection

50 - 50 really. I tend to seek the good out of both parties. Although i must say when it comes to movies i'd lean more towards eastern made media. I've watched way more anime than i have watched American TV-shows and most of my favourite movie directors are from the eastern front too, Chan-wook Park, Jee-Woon Kim, Joon-ho Bong, Yoshihiro Nishimura, Takashi Miike, Miyazaki, etc 

All in all, i'd look at the quality of the media rather than looking where it comes from. 

Edited by xZoneHunter
  • Like 1

Mostly Western stuff but I'll play Japanese games or watch Japanese movies if they're interesting, and sometimes anime if it's interesting and not weird. However, you can study the Japanese language and culture, partake in their entertainment, maybe even live there and marry a Japanese national; but no matter how much you'll do and understand, in their eyes you'll always be that super weird foreigner who likes Japanese shit.

Edited by damon8r351

Hmm.

Movies/TV Shows (live action)    /      Anime/Cartoon

West > East                      /         East > West

^I watch more TV shows than I do anime though. I don't watch raw japanese videos and my patience for subbed anything dwindled to nothing over the years.

Manga/Comics (I don't read manga anymore and never read american comics to begin with)

East > West  (I just couldn't get into the marvel/dc type of stuff. manga always suited me more when I was younger)

Games 

I never really took note of where my games came from or where the company was based. So I'm just going to guess my gaming taste is more Western. I obviously like playing games with english voices but as to the western/eastern influence or style? As long as it's not a VN I suppose I don't care much. As long as it plays smoothly and keeps me interested.

• Like 1

I always wonder why Japan gets to be Japan, and the west just amalgamates everything. Seems a bit silly. If you're seperating out companies like that Japan wins as its smaller and did enough to seperate itself so that even in this day and age it gets to be compared to the whole of western culture.

Also this

Neither. If I find something that suits my tastes or is appealing, then I would give it a shot, so I guess it's a 50/50?

I play what i like

There's only two types of games ones worth playing and ones that aren't.

EDIT: I took this as gaming but it says media, that said can't answer I think you just ignored most of the world with your question. If someone likes Korean dramas and K pop they can't even answer lol.

Edited by Superbuu3

the fact is that Japanese media have immense variety and it's the only place you can get that special exoticness.

I don't think so there's more countries in asia than Japan and there's other significant countries in this world other than just english speaking ones.

You said media so we're not just talking games, this includes stuff like film, music and books.

Edited by Superbuu3

Mostly Western stuff but I'll play Japanese games or watch Japanese movies if they're interesting, and sometimes anime if it's interesting and not weird. However, you can study the Japanese language and culture, partake in their entertainment, maybe even live there and marry a Japanese national; but no matter how much you'll do and understand, in their eyes you'll always be that super weird foreigner who likes Japanese shit.

That's so fucking true lmao. 

They even have Japanese only restaurants and so on; there's definitely a good bit of racism in Japan. 

Not surprising given how they were xenophobic for a very long time.

Yeah white people can be victims too lol, some of them really don't like "Gaijins". ;)

Edited by AlphaTrash

That's so fucking true lmao. 

They even have Japanese only restaurants and so on; there's definitely a good bit of racism in Japan. 

Not surprising given how they were xenophobic for a very long time.

Yeah white people can be victims too lol, some of them really don't like "Gaijins". ;)

True story but off-topic: I live in the US near a military air base that specializes in testing new aircraft and training test pilots. There's a lot of pilots from foreign militaries there too, because they attend our test pilot school. Anyways, my wife and I are at a local sushi restaurant, which are by and large run by Korean or Chinese people here in the US. Two helicopter pilots from the Japanese Maritime Self Defense Force sit down later and order their sushi. Now, I don't speak Japanese but I can pick up on a few words and key in on peoples' vocal inflection, enough to know when someone is making fun of someone else in a foreign language. Those Japanese pilots were talking mad shit about those Korean sushi chefs and their sushi making skills in their own restaurant, yo. LOL

• Like 3

True story but off-topic: I live in the US near a military air base that specializes in testing new aircraft and training test pilots. There's a lot of pilots from foreign militaries there too, because they attend our test pilot school. Anyways, my wife and I are at a local sushi restaurant, which are by and large run by Korean or Chinese people here in the US. Two helicopter pilots from the Japanese Maritime Self Defense Force sit down later and order their sushi. Now, I don't speak Japanese but I can pick up on a few words and key in on peoples' vocal inflection, enough to know when someone is making fun of someone else in a foreign language. Those Japanese pilots were talking mad shit about those Korean sushi chefs and their sushi making skills in their own restaurant, yo. LOL

They probably didn't watch enough anime to learn how to do it properly. Watching anime is the only way to be truly japanese. Also randomly throwing a japanese word in mid sentence baka.

• Like 3