What's your main media leaning: Western or Japanese?

Zenpai

106 members have voted

1. 1. What's your main media leaning: Western or Japanese?

• 100% Western, 0% Japanese
    • 80% Western, 20% Japanese
    • 60% Western, 40% Japanese
    • 50% Western, 50% Japanese
    • 40% Western, 60% Japanese
    • 20% Western, 80% Japanese
    • 0% Western, 100% Japanese

• 3 weeks later...

Most of my favorite games are from Japan (Final Fantasy, Tales games, Souls games, Persona) but there are also some pretty solid western games out there.

Pretty all the bands I listen to are from the U.S., with the exception of a few artists, I do like the unique and unrestricted style of music the Japanese make (I only know most of their music from anime. :P) but there are also western bands out there that also do this in their own way as well. Speaking of anime it's pretty much the only thing I watch, western shows bore the hell out of me lol.

So I'd say about 50/50.

When I was in high school it used to be 80% Japanese 20% Western. Over the years it slowly changed to the polar opposite, so it's about 80% Western now. I was quite infatuated with manga, anime and Japanese video games in the 90s and early 2000s, while they still were right at the leading edge of world pop culture. But with the gradual rise of kawaii culture and the mainstreamification of the otaku, something I poetically call "The Death of Japanese pop culture" happened and I haven't looked back. It's all devolved into a neverending cycle of rehashed moe elements/designs, repackaged, remixed, catering to the modern pillow hugging maid cafe loving virtual girlfriend obsessed otaku crowd. Way back when, anime and games used to be the equivalent of the underground rap scene. They were edgy, they were original and they weren't afraid to take risks. While there are still exceptions to this rule (I'm not saying everything is bad), I feel like the overall number of interesting and high quality content has been on a steady decline for many years now. Most of the manga I read and anime I watch now is from the 70s, 80s and 90s, because it just has a lot more to offer.

• Like 1

80% Western, 20% Japanese

To tell the truth, I'm getting more and more annoyed by the Japanese stuff as it lost its originality. I don't care AT ALL about manga and/or anime, and the video game culture is just a sad joke. Thr western producers don't even try to be innovative, so I prefer their way of being more honest about that. I don't know how many JPRGs I've played which are basically all the same. So why should I even care about that anymore? I was born in Germany and grew up in the heart of Europe, the root and epicentre of western culture (no, fellow Americans, you're just copycats ;) ). During the 90's it was kinda exciting to shuffle through Japanese stuff, but as of 2015 it's the same stuff it was back in '95. Sad but true.

Edited by The Loving Sausage

Maybe 90%+ Western as aside from the occasional Japanese games that I enjoy (mainly FF + KH) no other aspect of their media interests me at all. If the question was expanded a bit to "Western v Asia", however, the percentage would be lower as I listen almost exclusively to Korean music...

Edited by RPGriffin

I am studying Japanese from this coming Wednesday (2 days time) for 11 straight weeks until early December where I get 1 month off, and then again studying for 16 more weeks with another 1 month break at the end before again another 16 week course in June 2016 which takes me to about this point next year, and then I go all over again with what would be the last 3 x 16 weeks courses through 2017 (unless my head explodes lol).

The 2015/2016 sessions are booked already, I cannot book 2017 yet.

All together it is about 2 more years to reach 'fluency' or grade A level standard, and this is ONLY if everything goes perfectly, if it does not you can add more time/money on top of that.

We will see how it all goes.

Not too much time for games but that's ok, I will play when I can.

Edited by JapanimeGamer

95% Japan, 5% Western.

I am studying Japanese from this coming Wednesday (2 days time) for 11 straight weeks until early December where I get 1 month off, and then again studying for 16 more weeks with another 1 month break at the end before again another 16 week course in June 2016 which takes me to about this point next year, and then I go all over again with what would be the last 3 x 16 weeks courses through 2017 (unless my head explodes lol).

The 2015/2016 sessions are booked already, I cannot book 2017 yet.

All together it is about 2 more years to reach 'fluency' or grade A level standard, and this is ONLY if everything goes perfectly, if it does not you can add more time/money on top of that.

We will see how it all goes.

Not too much time for games but that's ok, I will play when I can.

The japanese use JLPT and measure their linguistics through n1-n5, so you'd hope to be N1 in 2 years time, though you have to take a JLPT at an embassy somewhere to authenticate it. Edited by TigressLion

In the UK there is a government funded test that comes at the end of my final course paper, it it does receive a certificate of completion which is equal to A level qualification standard (UK).

To complete N1 would take about 2 years?

The UK JLPT is held in London and/or Edinburgh.

Edited by JapanimeGamer

In the UK there is a government funded test that comes at the end of my final course paper, it it does receive a certificate of completion which is equal to A level qualification standard (UK).

To complete N1 would take about 2 years?

The UK JLPT is held in London and/or Edinburgh.

N1 standards is I believe around 2000 words of japanese you need to know, as long as you learn Japanese and the grammar you can take the test whenever it is offered. Could take a year, could take 5 it all depends on you.

http://www.jlpt.jp/e/

That's the official japanese literacy test site for world wide.

• Like 1

I voted half and half. Most of the games I play are from Japan, while most of the TV and movies I watch are Western. As much as I love anime, I find it a pain having to watch it on my laptop. Laptop's are for picking at while watching TV. Sitting and not picking at something is impossible for me. Manga makes up about 20% of my bookshelf.

• 6 years later...

I'd say the scales just tipped over to the Japanese side for me this year. So it's 49% - 51%.

I used to watch tons of western-produced movies and TV shows (USA, Canada, UK, other European countries). Same with music. My favourite bands were/are mostly USA and UK based. When I used to listen to Japanese music before, it would usually be game soundtracks, typically with no lyrics in them. In terms of games, I mostly played western ones, but I played some Japanese titles once in a while as well: MGS, SIlent Hill, Resident Evil. Some of these games ended up in my all time favourites.

Flash forward to this year. I almost stopped watching western movies completely. (I watched one western film, which was actually an adaptation of a Japanese game - Tekken. It's obviously trash, so I just decided to watch it for the meme of it). At the same time, I started watching more anime. I also started listening to Japanese music more. I'm slowly discovering some cool Japanese music starting with the rock bands whose music appeared in the anime openings I watched, and now listening to more stuff that's not anime-related, like 80's City Pop.

Edited by Slava

Japanese, full japanese games, anime, entertainment, just few western things, i hate west entertainment in the last years because of agenda, Japan it's funny and better, the great characters, fanservice, dirty jokes, i love the anime cliches of the perv chracter, the edgy character, they don't care about politics or sjw, that's why i love Japan and asia too, korean have great games, movies and series, and chinese are going to have great games too, so yeah at this moment and forever my media will be asian mainly japanese, for western things just few things, Rockstar games, some playstation exclusives(being japanese :( ) , and movies of Tarantino, Scorcese, Nolan, i hate marvel lol, i just like Wolverine, Deadpool, Punisher...The future it's the red sun.

Well music it's western actually, many metal bands, mainly black metal, gothic metal and dark wave, emo music... in that case western and just few japanese bands like the Gazette and survive said the prophet

Edited by TheAbyssWalker61

I'd say it's something like 60% Japanese, 40% Western. Been roughly that way my entire life. I remember watching some anime like Dragon Ball when I was a kid, before I even really knew what anime was. Nowadays, I don't watch much in general, but I generally tend to favour anime over anything else, be it TV series or movies, though it really just depends on what seems more interesting to me at any given time.

I can't say I really listen to music any more. When I used to seek out bands and artists to listen to, it was almost always Western. Lyrics are generally important to me, and I like to understand stories within songs I'm listening to. Nowadays, if I mainly see music as background noise, and the majority of the time, that background noise will likely be a Japanese game OST, usually MegaTen.

When it comes to reading, I pretty much only read manga and some manhwa nowadays. Used to read more Western comics, but kind of got thrown off but how often DC Comics was rebooting things. I sometimes still read non-superhero related western comics, but I don't find many that interest me any more.

And when it comes to games, my main source of entertainment, it's generally pretty Japanesey as well. I've actually gotten more into JRPGs in recent years than I've ever been, even though I have always loved the genre, I always procrastinated on them due to them often being time sinks. But I kinda just regret not playing a lot sooner now. I still play plenty of Western games as well, but my patience has worn more thin when it comes to a lot of triple A and multiplayer centric games nowadays.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

About eighty on the western front and twenty for Japanese.

I never really could latch on to games like Mario Kart, Soulsborne, Zelda, and Metal Gear in comparison to say Baldur's Gate, Fallout (1&2, not the Bethesda drek), and the Metro series. Nonetheless the way they are made is unique and I still respect their contribution to gaming history. Not to mention in comparison to my preferences they aren't easy to simply replicate.

Some contributions that I love from Japanese media though is Akira Kurosawa's films (without them the West would have big missing chunks in our recent cinematic framework) like Kagemusha, Yojimbo, and Throne of Blood. Anime(s) would be Katsuhiro Otomo's Memories (segments 1&3. that second one was just ugh.), Jin-Roh: the Wolf Brigade, and One Punch Man. Manga would just have to be Battle Angel Alita. No music sadly that I ever liked.

• 1 year later...