Rate How Scary This Game Is

Crespelio-X12

Its not scary.

Thats not bravado - Amnesia, Outlast and some other games have scared the shit out of me. This one is not scary in the slightest though.

AIf you have a camera set up it will record your reactions to some of the jump scares. As my wife played through next to me, every one was just a video of us both sitting motionless and completely unfased.

It's completely different to the type of fear in Outlast, for example. If you can get through a B-movie horror like Cabin in the Woods, you will be fine. It's tense, but never quite in the way traditional horror games are.

You understood that Cabin in the Woods was a comedy, not a horror movie, right?

Honestly I am rarely affected by jump scares, and about 95% of the scary parts of the game are just that. There was only one moment, and I won't ruin it with a spoiler that made me jump. Both my brother and I jumped when it happened. But all in all I was not scared throughout the game. 

There where some very tense moments in the game which made it better than being scary. I find tense moments more satisfying than scary ones. 

2/10 - not scary at all. 

Just started playing Until Dawn and it's not scary at all, true. But it's not that it fails to be scary, it just doesn't want to be :) It's like one of those teen horror movies/slashers you watch with your friends and have a few laughs. Love it! Plus the atmosphere and the environment are both great - eerie, but not scary.

Edited by NarcissusBaz

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I just played through 8 chapters in one sitting and only had one moment I jumped a little. So I would say it really isn't scary. I don't scare to easily so that may have something to do with it.

Outlast was a little scarier to me. If anything the first time I played Dead Space 1 I would say I found that scarier. Than again that was as far as I knowe the first horror themed game I played.

So Until dawn isn't scary just some tense moments.

About a 6.5 or 7 out of 10. About a 4 if playing in the daylight (I played in the daylight... serious  difference) and with no headphones (which are crucial to hearing the tense music, horrific screams of many different things in the background, whether a bird, creature, girl, whatever, other noises, and more sound related aspects) like a little puss!

I managed to beat Alien Isolation & Outlast. If anyone played Until Dawn and Alien Isolation, can compare this two? I wonder if I will be able to manage beat that with clean pants as well  :awesome:

Until Dawn is legit scarier than Alien: Isolation. I played both... I've never jumped as much as I did in UD as I did in Alien. It's also worst that you're able to track the threat in Alien with a device, something you can't do in Until Dawn. Until Dawn also has more threats than Alien. Alien also suffers from having too many in-between breaks where the (main) threat isn't chasing after you at all and you're in lighted areas and progress as if you're playing an action game. Alien at times felt like a casual or noob friendly horror game. It's probably also worth considering that the Alien itself would have some predictable areas of spawn due to some give always. Until Dawn is also more horrific.

Until Dawn has better and more horror traits, where as Alien really only does good at 1 or 2 things.

My grammar has been bad all day.

Edited by Mar

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I hate jumpcares... it's the lowest and cheesiest form of horror. If I suddenly jump on you on the street and yell really f-ing loud, am I the master of horror? :)

It's funny because there are still people that fail to realize that the "cheesy jumpscares" were done on purpose, the whole game is all about paying homage to teen horror movies, including bad dialogue, stereotypical teenagers, jumpscares, monsters, ghosts, killers, etc...

You are not supposed to take the game seriously or think they were serious when they created the game, it's supposed to be silly and laughable, like most teen horror movies.

• Like 2

I'd say 5/10

It's mostly jumpscares that made me scared whilst playing Until dawn... But as I progressed through the game the jumpscares began to get abit weak and predictable. Like when the background sounds stop or the camera zooms in on something you know it's gonna be a jumpscare.

Like I said previously, they were weak and predictable on purpose, like with all the other things they did in the game.

Just a parody/reference/homage to teen horror movies, nothing else.

• 2 weeks later...

It's funny because there are still people that fail to realize that the "cheesy jumpscares" were done on purpose, the whole game is all about paying homage to teen horror movies, including bad dialogue, stereotypical teenagers, jumpscares, monsters, ghosts, killers, etc...

You obviously haven't read my next post. You're referring to the comment I wrote before I even played Until Dawn and it was just a general thought on jumpscares, not anything referring to UD.

• 2 weeks later...

I give it a 7/10.
Played this together with my girlfriend.
We both had some really scary moments.  :) 
It does get a bit predictive as you get further in the game.
But overall, pretty good horror game.
Yesterday I let my father-in-law play but it was the mother-in-law who screamed the most.  xD

• 4 weeks later...

I love horror games because they are the only media that can still scare me. That being said I've played all of until dawn and some of outlast. Until dawn wasn't as scary as outlast at least to me. Until dawn does have intense moments but it does have a intense and relax cycle. Outlast doesn't have the relief of the relax part because the atmosphere was so thick. I mean both games have you on edge the whole time but to me it seemed like outlast was more intense as an average but until dawns scares were more impactful since you had time to calm down again.

• Like 1