Rate How Scary This Game Is

Crespelio-X12

As a newcomer to the horror genre, this game was rather disappointing for me. Some of the jump scares were pretty good but not many. I'm so desensitized to gore at this point that it did not affect me at all. The creepy atmosphere was rather nice though and there were two times were I actually got a little freaked out interacting with objects in the game. But overall, I was expecting a lot more.

2/10 in scariness

This game wasn't scary at all. Mostly also because you can't really die. It's just an interactive story which was interesting to see. There's never a sense of dread or hopelessness like you would have in Alien Isolation, because there you are trying to survive the ultimate predator. In Until Dawn, you're just making it to the next scene with 100% success.

Still a fantastic game.

3/10 comparing it to alien isolation which was 8.5/10

Pretty shitty game if you ask me.

it might be shitty to you, but reviews, sales, say otherwise.

This game wasn't scary at all. Mostly also because you can't really die. It's just an interactive story which was interesting to see. There's never a sense of dread or hopelessness like you would have in Alien Isolation, because there you are trying to survive the ultimate predator. In Until Dawn, you're just making it to the next scene with 100% success.

Still a fantastic game.

what? you can die in the game, all 8 characters can die depending on your choices, maybe you just got lucky and made the right choices while you played it, but sam, mike, jessica, josh, matt, chris, emily and ashley can die.

Of course it is jump scares. But isnt every scary game just jump scares. A scare is a scare either way.

Can i have an example of a "genuinely scary" game then. I dont see how any game can make you genuinely scared but im willing to be proven wrong.  

it might be shitty to you, but reviews, sales, say otherwise.

what? you can die in the game, all 8 characters can die depending on your choices, maybe you just got lucky and made the right choices while you played it, but sam, mike, jessica, josh, matt, chris, emily and ashley can die.

I meant that death is scripted and only at certain predetermined segments. For instance, Mike can't die walking through the asylum on his first go-around. Usually when you'd walk into an asylum like that you'd be creeped out because death is right around the corner (one of the reasons why Dark Souls/Bloodborne can actually be pretty thrilling). The plot decides when you can and can't die - not the gameplay. This, to me, makes it not scary. However, it doesn't affect enjoyability one bit as I said before; I found the game fantastic. 

Of course it is jump scares. But isnt every scary game just jump scares. A scare is a scare either way.

Can i have an example of a "genuinely scary" game then. I dont see how any game can make you genuinely scared but im willing to be proven wrong.  

Call me a wimp, but first person walking simulators scare the shit out of me. I found P.T. to be terrifying. Even the original Slenderman game scared me when it first came out. Amnesia is scary too. For me, anticipation is scary. Not death or gore.

Edited by Paige-ID
  • Like 1

Game isn't scary, it does have a few jumpscares here and there but yes it's like that bad teenage horror movie except this time instead of letting them all be dumb and die you can save all of them.

There are the chase scenario's as well and usually it's a little bit terrifying being hunted down by a Wendigo.

I played Outlast back when it released on the PC and from my memory Until Dawn is less scary.

I wouldn't say it was scary its just jumpy. As others have said its a tribute to teen horror movies which in my opinion are not in the least bit scary. I enjoyed the game personally. 
The only game I would say I've found scary is Alien isolation as they build the suspense so well with the save system they employed. I really want to play that game again on this account but I'm not sure I can put my body through it again. 

I meant that death is scripted and only at certain predetermined segments. For instance, Mike can't die walking through the asylum on his first go-around. Usually when you'd walk into an asylum like that you'd be creeped out because death is right around the corner (one of the reasons why Dark Souls/Bloodborne can actually be pretty thrilling). The plot decides when you can and can't die - not the gameplay. This, to me, makes it not scary. However, it doesn't affect enjoyability one bit as I said before; I found the game fantastic. 

yeah but it's more about the thriller rather than the fear of dying sometimes, like trying to solving the mystery of what happened there by finding clues and totems, and also that bear trap scene with mike was also intense, so to me the sense of fear doesn't always has to do with death, but also not wanting your character to get injured too.

to me not knowing when a character could die made it a little bit scary when i first played it, since the game also tease you in some parts thinking that a death scene can happen, same thing with the QTE chases which are hell of intense and if you are not quick enough that character dies or gets caught.

since like i said many times before this game was just supposed to be an homage/parody/satire of every horror movie and they weren't trying to create a true horror game, more like an interactive horror movie experience, i didn't expected it to be as scary as other games like PT for example, but it seems that some people here (not talking about you) still don't realize what was the developer's objective with this game, blaming the game for its jumpscares when that was just another cliche reference that happens in every teen horror movie: cheap jumpscares.

i know that this is the type of company that if they left the jokes aside and really started to create a serious horror game it could be very scary, but they weren't trying to do that with until dawn this time.

Edited by smellslikejavier

• 2 weeks later...

This game's like the video game equivalent of a tacky haunted house attraction. If you get scared of someone jumping out and yelling "BOO!" like at a real haunted house, this game will terrify the crap out of you. As for me, my arm got tired from all the times I made that jerking off hand gesture at the plethora of cheap jump-scares. At one point long ago I might've been scared at something like this, then again long ago I also used to be in middle school and thought 311 was a good band. :P

• 3 weeks later...

Coming from me, a 10/10. Long have I been waiting for something to actually scare me! This game does it well because it takes what you fear and uses it against you. Like the user above, it definitely feels like a huge haunted house attraction (Extremely dark, random creepy noises, ominous background music) The atmosphere is beyond CREEPY. If you get scared easily, I wouldn't recommend this game because there are ALOT of jump scares. I myself jumped quite a bit, LOL. Overall, I love it and the fear you feel definitely enhances the experience. (:

• 4 weeks later...

It was more suspenseful than scary, if there's much of a difference anyway. I became expectant of jump scares but they still managed to make me flinch sometimes. Also, I'm one to usually explore games as thoroughly as possible, but with this game I was quicker to move on to the next area because I didn't want to increase the chances of something popping out at me :lol: So, I dunno, I don't dabble with horror games or watch many horror movies. This game got to me a little bit, but not too bad. So I'd say 6/10 on the Spook-O-Meter.

• 4 weeks later...

Yes, but you only know when the scripted deaths can happen if you've read a guide or tons of spoilers.  Going into the game knowing that all 8 CAN die, without reading spoilers, you wouldn't have that same sense of "safety".  Even on second playthrough, you may be surprised at where people can die, if you didn't make that choice in the previous game.  Seems like your comparison is apples to oranges - in a game where any enemy can kill you, or there are traps, like the From games you mentioned, but really even Uncharted or Prince of Persia type games would count, you can get scared because death was unexpected.  In a game with scripted scenarios, the scares are there because you don't already know every possible outcome.  If you read a thorough guide, you won't ever be scared - not the game's fault.  Honestly, you can read a thorough guide for Dark Souls as well, and not ever have any scary moments. 

Cheap jumpscares like every 5 minutes at the beginning and the characters are the worst kind of people...2/10 IMO. 

This x100. I never cared for any of them because they're horrible written. They are dumb, idiotic and just plain stupid. Don't get me wrong I like some trash movies like Machete or Zombeaver etc. but this is nothing - no trash, no suspense, no horror. Just a cheap, crappy interactive game where you couldn't care less about the characters.

I seriously don't get all the good ratings. I don't need actual gameplay to enjoy a game if it has anything else. Like heavy rain, walking dead or the glorious life is strange. But these games managed to build up a great atmosphere and most imprtantly an outstanding chemistry between the characters. Until Dawn fails in all of these aspects and the whole group ruined the experience for me. Truly dissapointed from that game... :unsure:

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Aside from some jump scares and only one short part that genuinely scared me, I'd say a 3/10.  I was too busy marveling at how awesome the game was to be scared.  Outlast for me was a 10/10 scary game.

I agree 100%, notes and comments. Outlast really creeps me out, even if its mechanic is quite similar to Alien Isolation which I pmed... 

• 1 month later...