37% Platinum ? Something wrong!

vipers2314

So a somewhat related question to this topic. If we disregarded the auto-popped plats from owners and plat achievers, what would the numbers look like?

Most likely very similar. Because we would lower the actual number of owners.

So it would still probably stay in 30-40%, just with lower amount of owners.

• 4 years later...
On 2015. 08. 31. at 4:29 AM, kuuhaku said:

This game shouldn't take more than 10 hours to platinum without using a cross save. I'm surprised that the percentage isn't higher, to be honest.

I must be intellectually disabled then because it took me some 15 hours to finish the Death Mode levels. Maybe I should apply for disability benefits so that I can play more and have that platinum by Christmas.

Edited by Swithop
  • Like 2

There is some RNG involved, but from what I remember it's not really that bad. It's not like you need perfect spawns, there is some room for error. I've platinumed it two times legit because I bought it expecting two easy cross-save plats... And it turned out cross-save didn't work anymore. And I'm not that great at 2d platformers, which at times infuriate me way more than any other genre. This game definitely did, sure, but it's not "all RNG" I think. 

18 minutes ago, the1andonly654 said:

There is some RNG involved, but from what I remember it's not really that bad. It's not like you need perfect spawns, there is some room for error. I've platinumed it two times legit because I bought it expecting two easy cross-save plats... And it turned out cross-save didn't work anymore. And I'm not that great at 2d platformers, which at times infuriate me way more than any other genre. This game definitely did, sure, but it's not "all RNG" I think. 

Then you were either lucky, or you have not remembered it well. For some levels there is no room for error due to RNG, and at other times the level is impossible even with zero errors because the spawns are simply too far apart to make it in time. It’s entirely RNG. 

• Like 1

For a number of years...I don’t know if carry services are still running now for Sound Shapes...players were paying account recovery services offered on eBay to pop the Sound Shapes stack. Probably contributed somewhat to the elevated platinum percentage. 

9 hours ago, Elvick_ said:

Then you were either lucky, or you have not remembered it well. For some levels there is no room for error due to RNG, and at other times the level is impossible even with zero errors because the spawns are simply too far apart to make it in time. It’s entirely RNG. 

There were definitely some more RNG based levels where bad spawns made it impossible to complete, but I don't remember needing perfection either. But yeah, maybe I'm not remembering it right. Looking at the timestamps, took me 3 and a half hours to 100% it the 2nd time so maybe I really was just lucky. 

10 hours ago, Elvick_ said:

38 minutes ago, the1andonly654 said:

There were definitely some more RNG based levels where bad spawns made it impossible to complete, but I don't remember needing perfection either. But yeah, maybe I'm not remembering it right. Looking at the timestamps, took me 3 and a half hours to 100% it the 2nd time so maybe I really was just lucky. 

There was only 1 level where you needed pretty consistently good spawns to be able to complete (the 63 second DM level). But apart from that, it's not horrible. Some RNG, some skill. Easy.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Nitro said:

There was only 1 level where you needed pretty consistently good spawns to be able to complete (the 63 second DM level). But apart from that, it's not horrible. Some RNG, some skill. Easy.

It’s entirely rng. I don’t know why people think this crappy game requires skill. There are multiple levels where you need good spawns to complete it. The one with ufos or whatever, the one with three columns of blowing air. I don’t remember most of the levels.

but I had both be shit for me, only reason I finished the blowing air one is because it spawned most in sequential order in the direction I was already going, when every other time it would spawn them entirely on opposite sides of the map. Same with the UFO one. 

Can’t believe they didn’t even program it to be sure it’s possible every time. It’s only easy if you get lucky. And if the time was removed all the challenge would be gone since the rng wouldn’t fuck you up the ass with impossible spawns for the time limit

Edited by Elvick_

• 1 year later...
On 2020-11-03 at 8:02 AM, Elvick_ said:

It’s entirely rng. I don’t know why people think this crappy game requires skill. There are multiple levels where you need good spawns to complete it. The one with ufos or whatever, the one with three columns of blowing air. I don’t remember most of the levels.

but I had both be shit for me, only reason I finished the blowing air one is because it spawned most in sequential order in the direction I was already going, when every other time it would spawn them entirely on opposite sides of the map. Same with the UFO one. 

Can’t believe they didn’t even program it to be sure it’s possible every time. It’s only easy if you get lucky. And if the time was removed all the challenge would be gone since the rng wouldn’t fuck you up the ass with impossible spawns for the time limit

Fully agree. I still don’t know how sooo many people finish this game in a matter of hours. It just baffles me. Most of the Death Mode levels took me at least 30-40 minutes, with some taking literal hours.

For example there’s the level with the asteroids where you have to hop back and forth between the rings. I forget it’s name already. But the time is so tight that this level is virtually impossible to finish in time until you finally get a lucky rng break and have a flurry of notes spawn on one ring. This level alone took me several hours until I finally got lucky. By the end I was so skilled at hopping between the rings that I almost never died, but I’d simply run out of time on every attempt until I finally had a run where a good 7-8 notes spawned in quick succession on the same ring. There are multiple levels just like this.

I still have to finish cleaning up the PS3 stack of this game off my list one of these days but I’m really not looking forward to it. I really hate game modes like Death Mode with a passion. I would take more challenging levels with a set pattern any day, as at least you can practice the same action/route repeatedly and steadily improve and feel like you’re making progress. Sound Shapes Death Mode just feels like you’re flailing around with no control.