Backtracker glitch

This trophy didn't pop on my first playthrough (I tried different times), so I had to start a new game to unlock it! Has anyone else got this problem?

Yeah it's definitely bugged, the trophy guides on the site usually detail bugs like these. This was definitely bugged for me (and pretty much anyone else I talked to about it), you'll have to start a new game and just run to the last gate without doing other stuff and go back from there to the other gates and it will pop.

Edited by BlindMango
  • Like 1

I'm under impression, that it's not the path that counts, it's those gates that you pass on both ends trigger the trophy. So you have to remember, that Forest area shortcut has two exits/entrances and maybe peeps are missing the other one? Oh, and remember to go in every combination of directions (basically a triangle) in that hub shortcut in Farm/Forest/Village. That's what I did anyhow, at first I thought I experienced a glitch since no pop, but then went all the paths again in triangle Pattern (huehue) and crossed both gates in Forest. Instant pop on second gate. Oh, and I did that on book collecting run, so interaction with other items has nothing to do with trophy not popping.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

It's glitched on me twice now, and I have followed the video to the letter. Will this game torment me forever?

The inability to "run" really makes the game more of a chore when you realize you're on your tenth playthrough. I feel for you, it happened to me too. Just keep at. I went straight for Little Tipworth and I made sure I went a bit past the gates and even open and closed them just to be sure.

didnt work on my first playthrough , but on my radio run it worked ... (funny because the radio trophy bugged for me until 3rd run) ....

Atleast the other collectable trophies all popped first time ... very annoying if you have no indication or sign if it works ..... i mean "look at books"  ?  my book trophy popped when i entered the room with last book without knowing where the book is.

• 5 months later...

I had the same glitch with backtracker - I tried to do it on my second run alongside radio operator and open ended. I deleted all my save data and did another run, following the video. To make sure, I walked a long way away from the gates. The trophy popped after I had been walking for around 7-8seconds directly away from the final gate

• 1 month later...

It seems the glitch is related to the bunker - start a new game, run straight to the first gate and go through them all and it will pop. Or just save before the bunker, upload to the cloud and do the gates, then download the saves and go to the bunker for the open ended or whatever else you are going for. Just avoid the bunker if you want the backtracker to pop.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 29/6/2017 at 1:40 PM, sever1_nv said:

worked for me. i used R2 for run and get trophy

Moving through all the backtracking paths as done in this video managed to pop the trophy for me. I think it may have been due to the fact that I went strait ahead at 7:38 and went the other path after it rather than turning right first and doing the path two entries/exits before exiting the gate that takes you back to Yaughton.

Funny enough, I had to begin a new playthrough to get this trophy while I was just about to get the trophy earlier as my PS4 made a sudden beep and then three seconds later it randomly entered rest mode (damn touch-sensitive power on/off and eject disc buttons!). I turned it back on only for my system to begin a file system recover to have it turn back on to say that same ol’ "You didn't turn off the system properly" BS.

Edited by Skeptical69

• 1 month later...

This trophy also glitched for me on my "Completion" run. I spent half an hour going back and forth between the different gates, going well into the different area's each time but it just did not unlock. In the end I should have just done a new run, because using sprint button constantly and taking the shortest route it only takes about 20 minutes to get to the first shortcut. Then it's another 5 minutes tops to get the trophy.

After that I did a seperate run for the radio's and that took another 40 minutes or so. That trophy the only complaint I have about this game, because doing a seperate playthrough only listening to the radio's is a bit silly. During the completion run I made it a habit to go to any radio that I heard first, before doing anything else in that area, but my hope of unlocking the trophy that way was in vain.

I'm not really sure what people are complaining about regarding the speed though. Just keep R2 pressed and it's pretty much fine. Around 20 minutes to run across the whole map is not bad at all. This is hardly a game made for speedrunning anyway. I liked the game a lot with an interesting story and it's not being told using B-movie type cut scenes for once. Good voice acting as well. I guess you either love it or hate it. I loved it.

• 3 years later...

This trophy is glitched I followed a guide exactly TWICE and no trophy ! And I keep reading R2 to move faster but holding R2 doesn't make any difference that I can tell. It says R2 "builds speed" but I honestly can't tell any difference.

[edit: Deleted my save and started a new game. Walked to the final area and then walked back to the short cut gates (following the same guide I used initially). I interacted with nothing and did not walk into the area with the bunker. This time the trophy unlocked] 

Edited by CargoRunner
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, CargoRunner said:

This trophy is glitched I followed a guide exactly TWICE and no trophy ! And I keep reading R2 to move faster but holding R2 doesn't make any difference that I can tell. It says R2 "builds speed" but I honestly can't tell any difference. 

R2 does make a difference but it's not a big one, though it's enough to make the game slightly less of a slog.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 04/06/2022 at 0:31 PM, CargoRunner said:

[edit: Deleted my save and started a new game. Walked to the final area and then walked back to the short cut gates (following the same guide I used initially). I interacted with nothing and did not walk into the area with the bunker. This time the trophy unlocked] 

Glad you got it.
Yes, the key is to stay AWAY from the bunker area. That’s what glitches the trophy….happened to me too. If it does glitch then it only takes 15-20 minutes total on a new game to ‘run’ to the start point for Stephen’s story and then backtrack through the gates.
Maybe helps someone else in the future.

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

I had the same problem with this trophy, I went for it after doing the Radio Enthusiast Trophy, walked through all the gate and nothing.

Retraced all my steps and did the gates in reverse - this time I went deep into each area to make sure I was getting the credit for doing so, but still nothing. (I was also holding R2 the whole time)

Eventually started a new game, and walked striaght to the final area - thankfully it didn't seem as long as I was expecting (maybe 15 minutes?), and this time it popped.

• 10 months later...
  • 6 months later...

For anyone who is struggling or did not get the "Back Track" trophy:

1) Go into your save data
2) Delete all your save data

3) Start a NEW GAME

4) Run (as much as the game will allow with R2) from the starting area all the way to the end (without enter acting with anything other than opening gates).  Run past all proximity events, run past all motion events, run past radios, phones etc...
5) Once you've followed the main road and reached the last area, start back tracking through the "shortcut" gates

Hopefully this helps

Because you have to delete the save data, it is advised you get all other trophies and just save this one for last.