Anime/manga fans: do you know Japanese?

Zenpai

34 members have voted

1. 1. Do you know Japanese?

• Yes, I do, and I'm fluent
    • I'm currently studying and I'm reasonably good
    • I'm currently studying but I'm not that good (yet)
    • No, but I'd like to learn someday
    • No, and have no interest in learning

8 hours ago, Slava said:

Has anyone used Duolingo for learning languages and Japanese in particular? How did it go?

I've used Duolingo in the past but not for Japanese.  It was average.  For basic vocabulary (alphabet, numbers, colors, etc) verb tenses, and grammar, it had value.  It had proper grammar and sentence structure, but it didn't really explain why you structure "x" way despite it being different or not making sense in your native language.  It is free, so I guess we can put it a little above average.  I don't think the pay version was around when I used it so can't comment on that.  For me, it was similar to basic-level book lessons in a digital format. 

I did use it awhile ago, so maybe it has improved?  Hope you find it very helpful, and good luck in your goal of learning Japanese!

• Like 1

My Mum is Japanese so I'm Half Japanese so yes I know Japanese but because of my Autism I get stuck on some words for Kanji, Katakana and Hiragana. Ni No Kuni JP I'm playing at the moment is testing my Japanese skills because the riddles for Horace are all in Kanji, Hiragana. 

I love being called a weeb and then turn around and say I'm half Japanese. It's funny. Still you can call me a weeb.
Edit: I'm thinking of getting a job as a translator or a manga/anime translator but haven't got around to it because I'm incredibly lazy. 

ありがとぜんぱい
Edited by Anxiety
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, kinnyman said:

I did use it awhile ago, so maybe it has improved?  Hope you find it very helpful, and good luck in your goal of learning Japanese!

Maybe. I wouldn't know either, since this is the first time I've used it ?.

So far, I like it. Hiragana and katakana are going fine. The one thing I didn't like is that they didn't really explain how kanji characters work, and how you read them (I know you can pronounce each of them in at least two different ways). The Duolingo was like "don't worry about it" and just started throwing them into the exercises.

Thanks! I'll try my best.

49 minutes ago, Anxiety said:

I get stuck on some words for Kanji, Katakana and Hiragana. 

I've heard some kanji words are difficult even for native Japanese speakers. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Slava said:

Maybe. I wouldn't know either, since this is the first time I've used it 1f642.png.

So far, I like it. Hiragana and katakana are going fine. The one thing I didn't like is that they didn't really explain how kanji characters work, and how you read them (I know you can pronounce each of them in at least two different ways). The Duolingo was like "don't worry about it" and just started throwing them into the exercises.

Thanks! I'll try my best.

I've heard some kanji words are difficult even for native Japanese speakers. 

Yeah my Mum gets stuck on some words as well, with one of the Horace's riddles instead of the word 'KO' it had to be a lowercase 'ko' so stupid. Ko means Child.

Edited by Anxiety
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Slava said:

That's because it's very much a context thing and a big part of why Japanese is very tricky because so much has to be inferred from context.  I studied Japanese in school and it was similar, we learned kanji in phrases or sentences to learn the context each kanji is used in.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, CelestialRequiem said:

Been studying it for years. I also used to live in Osaka. I have Japanese friends that I speak to regularly as well. 

I wouldn't call myself an anime fan, really, however. I do read manga. Berserk is the best piece of media you can experience, in my opinion. 

Nerds like you really make me mad. 

ANYWAY yeah I know Japanese but I wouldn't say we're close. Acquaintances really.