Your opinion of this game.

mittoucp

I platinumed this game yesterday and found it really good. People complain that there's very little gameplay but I think the QTEs are enough especially for a cinematic game like this.

I enjoyed getting the platinum but was dissapointed as the 'Psycho' didn't show up much I think it was only really one or two chapters he did anything until he was revealed. I also think that there should have been more trophies especially since there were so many different outcomes.

Anyway, what are your opinions on this game? Which characters were your favourite and what were the best and worst parts of it?

Edited by mittoucp

Just gonna copy and paste a slightly edited version of what I said in the most recent plat thread. :P

The story is good overall. It gets pretty silly near the end, but it is nicely paced throughout. If you've watched any horror movie from the 90's, early 00's then you should know exactly what to expect from the story. The characters themselves are all unbearable stereotypes but given what the devs are going for, it works out well. Out of all the characters I would say that Mike and Sam were my favourite. They just needed to have the stoner character to complete the horror trope quota. 

The gameplay is pretty simple. Lots of walking around, exploring and QTE's. If you've played any Quantic Dream or TellTale game then you should know what to expect. Unlike games from either of those two, your choices here do actually matter. One thing that doesn't seem so big could end up having a big impact later. Until Dawn is basically the game David Cage could only (Quantic) dream of doing. 

The game looks great, with some really nice lighting effects. The dialogue is a little cringe worthy at times, but given the characters and what they are going for it makes sense. The VA is great for the most part, Peter Stormare overly hams it up in every scene he is in and its just the best thing ever. A few jump scares got me here and there but I didn't really find the game to be that scary at all. It does manage to hold a pretty tense atmosphere throughout though. 

You can probably already tell that I thought the game was great overall. 

i honestly wanted to create a' fav characters of the game' thread right now lol

chris and sam are my favourites

i've enjoyed the game, even though i thought that i would get chased by some crazy fucker in the woods at the beginning lol

I was wondering why there wasn't one lol.

I think Sam was most people's favourite. My favourites were Sam and Mike, I hated Emily and Matt was just really nervous. Sam and Mike were the only ones who were in it for the group and could handle themselves while looking after everyone as well.

Just gonna copy and paste a slightly edited version of what I said in the most recent plat thread. :P

The story is good overall. It gets pretty silly near the end, but it is nicely paced throughout. If you've watched any horror movie from the 90's, early 00's then you should know exactly what to expect from the story. The characters themselves are all unbearable stereotypes but given what the devs are going for, it works out well. Out of all the characters I would say that Mike and Sam were my favourite. They just needed to have the stoner character to complete the horror trope quota. 

The gameplay is pretty simple. Lots of walking around, exploring and QTE's. If you've played any Quantic Dream or TellTale game then you should know what to expect. Unlike games from either of those two, your choices here do actually matter. One thing that doesn't seem so big could end up having a big impact later. Until Dawn is basically the game David Cage could only (Quantic) dream of doing. 

The game looks great, with some really nice lighting effects. The dialogue is a little cringe worthy at times, but given the characters and what they are going for it makes sense. The VA is great for the most part, Peter Stormare overly hams it up in every scene he is in and its just the best thing ever. A few jump scares got me here and there but I didn't really find the game to be that scary at all. It does manage to hold a pretty tense atmosphere throughout though. 

You can probably already tell that I thought the game was great overall. 

I agree with most of that. Was it just me or did the graphics seem laggy at times?

Honestly I really enjoyed it. Going into it I was wondering how far they could stretch the whole psycho in a cabin thing, but the whole thing with the Wendigos kept it fresh and interesting, and I really liked it.

I would love a sequel, maybe not with the same characters, but by the same developers and in the same style? I'm completely on board.

Also appreciate the gratuitous amounts of booty, those cameras were positioned way too perfectly.

Excluding Sam who I think is by default the best girl, I really liked Ashley. 

SPOILERS BELOW (Can't get the tags to work for some reason)

|

|

|

|

For the most part, I really enjoyed it. However, once the game took that twist with the psycho being Josh and the actual threat being the Wendigos monsters, it really went a little downhill for me. I definitely would've enjoyed it more if they did not introduce them and kept it as an actual slasher horror game.

Edited by Warm_Regards
  • Like 1

I loved the game! Along DA:I it is the best ps4 game I have played. Cannot wait to play it again!

I did enjoy it a lot and I sort of agree with that, I would definitely put it in my top 3 PS4 games I've played so far not sure if it's the best.

Loved the game!! My sleeper GOTY! But I know it will never win with games like MGS 5 and Fall Out 4 but I can dream! I hope they make different stories with the Until dawn name on it! With different stories and different settings!!

It's a shame that this game didn't get much attention through marketing or by the media, it was ignored in a load of press conferences even though it had been announced back in 2012. I think that it may be my GOTY also but this game would never be #1 when so many more hyped up releases come out in the same timeframe.

Honestly I really enjoyed it. Going into it I was wondering how far they could stretch the whole psycho in a cabin thing, but the whole thing with the Wendigos kept it fresh and interesting, and I really liked it.

I would love a sequel, maybe not with the same characters, but by the same developers and in the same style? I'm completely on board.

Also appreciate the gratuitous amounts of booty, those cameras were positioned way too perfectly.

Excluding Sam who I think is by default the best girl, I really liked Ashley.

Ashley was alright but like a lot of the other characters she wanted to be in with the team but she was too nervous to do so. The game had lots of contrasting personalities which made it good. There should definitely be more games like this but I'm not so sure about a sequel as I really liked these characters and starting with a new group, especially if they do it again afterwards would seem really weird and I wouldn't want a game like this to be milked. There's too many sequels nowadays but I would love a standalone DLC or similar exploring the characters origins or future after the whole experience but, nah it should remain as a lone game like Heavy Rain and Beyond Two Souls.

SPOILERS BELOW (Can't get the tags to work for some reason)

|

|

|

|

For the most part, I really enjoyed it. However, once the game took that twist with the psycho being Josh and the actual threat being the Wendigos monsters, it really went a little downhill for me. I definitely would've enjoyed it more if they did not introduce them and kept it as an actual slasher horror game.

That's what I was thinking - the trailers hype it up to be a slasher horror game but the psycho just wasn't there, the only thing he did that had any significance was chasing Sam in a towel and doing the games with Chris.

The game was good.  I wasn't blown away by it or anything, but I enjoyed it.

The graphics were stellar, the characters were stereotypical in a "they absolutely did it this way on purpose" good kind of way.  The story had enough twists and turns to keep me interested (which is tough to do these days).

My biggest complaints I guess are that the game has an obscene amount of walking.  If you cut out every second of walking that didn't have some kind of dialog associated with it, the game would probably be about two hours long total.  And as nice as it is that your choices actually have consequences this time... I'm noticing some of them just flat out don't make sense.  Like the branching story paths sometimes aren't driven by choices and consequences, but rather because I didn't go out of my way to pick up a random item that I had no idea existed.

Haven't decided yet if I'll go back and try to finagle the various different outcomes/endings and get the platinum.

The game was good.  I wasn't blown away by it or anything, but I enjoyed it.

The graphics were stellar, the characters were stereotypical in a "they absolutely did it this way on purpose" good kind of way.  The story had enough twists and turns to keep me interested (which is tough to do these days).

My biggest complaints I guess are that the game has an obscene amount of walking.  If you cut out every second of walking that didn't have some kind of dialog associated with it, the game would probably be about two hours long total.  And as nice as it is that your choices actually have consequences this time... I'm noticing some of them just flat out don't make sense.  Like the branching story paths sometimes aren't driven by choices and consequences, but rather because I didn't go out of my way to pick up a random item that I had no idea existed.

Haven't decided yet if I'll go back and try to finagle the various different outcomes/endings and get the platinum.

I agree that the game could have done a lot more especially since they've been working on it since before 2012 but the walking was alright it was just really slow and the camera angles could be awkward at times. The fast walk button really didn't do much either so they could have really improved there. The choices did affect the storyline but they could have done a lot more as some characters just suddenly die if you fail a QTE and other characters don't really react to the deaths as much as you would think they normally would.

• 2 weeks later...

Just did my 1st playthrough. Managed to keep everyone alive (which surprised the hell outta me). I came close to killing Ash and Sam though.

This was my first horror game to play, and it creeped the hell outta me.....but I loved it. Some of the jump scares though. Bastards.

Im not sure if I want to see a sequel or DLC for the game. It ended well. I'd certainly be up for more from the devs.....but this game was done right and I don't want it to be milked.

Does anyone think there will be DLC with more trophies? It seems possible with it's low amount in the base game.

Also my favourite characters were Mike and Jess. I enjoyed their banter.

• 2 weeks later...

There probably will be some DLC, not sure if it will add trophies or not but considering how much of a unexpected success this game was for Sony they may attempt to milk it.

I highly doubt there would be any DLC, it just doesn't make much sense in a story-driven game like this, all the clues you've found have already told you everything you need to know about the story and a DLC would be pointless. The smart thing they can do is make a sequel with different cast members in a different setting, seeing as the 'Until Dawn' title it's a reference of surviving until the next day and doesn't have anything to do with the actual story of the game plus the whole game it's just an homage to teen horror movies they could do a different game making an homage to other movies and calling it 'Until Dawn 2'.

Edited by Finozzi1696

• 2 weeks later...

I highly doubt there would be any DLC, it just doesn't make much sense in a story-driven game like this, all the clues you've found have already told you everything you need to know about the story and a DLC would be pointless. The smart thing they can do is make a sequel with different cast members in a different setting, seeing as the 'Until Dawn' title it's a reference of surviving until the next day and doesn't have anything to do with the actual story of the game plus the whole game it's just an homage to teen horror movies they could do a different game making an homage to other movies and calling it 'Until Dawn 2'.

Yeah, there really isn't a way they could fit in DLC. They probably would make another game instead but maybe they won't use the same name, i hope that we don't have to wait over 5 years for their next game though.

• 8 months later...

I've enjoyed it a lot, even way more than I thought (keep in mind this was going to be an average ps3 game for Move controllers at first!)

Great graphics, nice story for its slasher movie based genre, good characters with their own personalities... 

Being similar to Quantic Dream videogames (excluding Nomad Soul), Supermassive Games are way better for me now doing this kind of gems. I hope they do similar games in the future!!!

• 11 months later...

Just finished this. The fixed camera angles reminded me of Silent Hill (PS1). This was a solid haunt game. Keen for Supermassive Games's next project.

On 05/10/2015 at 9:45 AM, adam-1996_911 said:

- Likeable characters. ( okay maybe not Emily and Josh )

I dislike Emily. Bitch.

• 4 weeks later...

SPOILERS

Loved the game but the Wendigo angle ruined the story for me, I would have preferred Josh to actually be the killer as implied halfway through, or even have the events be the imaginings of someone from the sanatorium or something. The Wendigo's were a bridge too far, completely trampled the realism.

Everything else was great. The butterfly effects were fantastic.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, g-bake_1986 said:

SPOILERS

Loved the game but the Wendigo angle ruined the story for me, I would have preferred Josh to actually be the killer as implied halfway through, or even have the events be the imaginings of someone from the sanatorium or something. The Wendigo's were a bridge too far, completely trampled the realism.

Everything else was great. The butterfly effects were fantastic.

Yeah going in I was expecting a slasher so I was a bit disappointed but I still liked it. Though I should have seen it coming when I saw Larry Fessenden's name in the opening credits.
Edited by lordzeze