• Japanese
    • Mandarin
    • Russian
    • Arabic
    • Swedish
    • Finnish
    • Italian
    • Other

I speak 3 languages Dutch, my first language, French and English. Since Europe is a pretty small continent with a lot of different cultures, it's pretty common for people to be multilingual. Nowadays kids start with learning other languages at school at a fairly young age. I remember i started having french classes when i was 10 and it was a pretty important subject even though i never used french throughout my primary and most of high school life. We even took a trip to Paris in order to strengthen our french skills. Personally i am happy that i started with french at such a young age. Even though i don't use it regularly it's always a nice skill to have. 

With English it is a little differently. I grew up with the language. Ps1 games were never in dutch, neither were a lot of TV-Shows. Since Belgium doesn't do dubbing for most of the shows being aired here (only TV shows targeted to kids will get a dub) I learned most of it by hearing English words and reading the corresponding dutch translation. By the time i got English classes in high school, I could more or less speak decent English. Even now i'm still learning English daily by talking on forum boards. 

Learning other languages is a tedious and long process but in most cases it is definitely worth it. In my opinion, everybody should have a basic knowledge of English. It's such a widespread language and almost necessary to know if you want to leave your own country or communicate with foreigners.  

So do you speak any other languages besides your own mother tongue? 

***Ofcourse I cannot list every language there is in the poll, so i just picked the ones that i thought were most commonly spoken amidst the PSNP community.

Edited by Zone Hunter
  • Like 2

Just English, I speak enough Spanish that I won't die from hunger abroad though :D

It seems that most other European countries speak at least 2 languages, but us stubborn Brits seem to just stick to English, apart from speaking really slowy and loudly along with adding 'le' or 'el' before an English word that is :P

Edited by DJROE95

Korean is my mother language, but i was basically raised in the States. My dad also challenged me to learn a new language and said that Koreans have an easier time learning Japanese than others, so I took him up on that challenge. I can read all hirgana and katakana at this point and know enough to have a conversation with someone now. Kanji is challenging though. 

• Like 3

I can speak four. Finnish is my first language and I speak English fluently. I can also speak French and Swedish. I'm not as comfortable with them as with English and Finnish but I would survive if I went to France or Sweden.

I've also studied some Spanish and Mandarin but I only know some small talk really.

English and Spanish, Spanish is my native language. Although I do believe that I may come to the point of almost completely forgetting how to speak and understand Spanish...  my primary language... weird, right? :lol: I hate Spanish though, I prefer English, so I wouldn't be startled over the fact that I may lose the ability of speaking and understand Spanish. Well, aside when speaking to my family, but almost my whole family knows English. I barely been speaking Spanish here in the U.S. But yeah, I only speak English and Spanish. I understand a bit of Portuguese. I wish I could speak Japanese, German,  French ,and Portuguese though.

Edited by Ethan Ruhkillmeez

I speak Engrish (seriously, I do.. I'm bad at my native language haha).

I also study Japanese and hope to be able to become fluent in it someday.  Still a bit far from it though.  I feel like what my friend says is correct, you have to basically move over to the country so you are hearing and making use of it everyday.

Spanish is my native tongue and I also speak English.

I'm planning on going to Osaka next year on an exchange program for intensive Japanese language learning if things go well. I want to make it my third.

Edited by Lord_of_Ra

I speak English, Spanish, and Mandarin fluently.  Which is why I'm me3lingual.  I am learning Korean in my spare time.  And finally, I have several language textbooks either in my possession or on their way to my house in order to learn even more.  Those are Japanese, Russian, and Icelandic.

I speak English, Spanish, and Mandarin fluently.  Which is why I'm me3lingual.  I am learning Korean in my spare time.  And finally, I have several language textbooks either in my possession or on their way to my house in order to learn even more.  Those are Japanese, Russian, and Icelandic.

Don't learn another language, you'd have to make a new account :P

• Like 3