• Japanese
    • Mandarin
    • Russian
    • Arabic
    • Swedish
    • Finnish
    • Italian
    • Other

French (native) and English, thanks to internet use and watching series/movies/etc in English.

I also know a bit of German from my high school. I don't think I can have a real conversation in German, but I kept some vocabulary and I know how it works.

I learnt a bit of Arabic and I kinda know how letters work. There are some sounds I can't pronounce.

Tried to learn Spanish for a time, I should continue.

And my Japanese is limited to "neko / kawaii / nekketsu / konichiwa / domo arigato / yamete kodasai".

I actually speak only two languages. My mother tounge Slovenian and English. Serbo-Croatian and German are languages that I understand mostly, but don't really speak them well. In the case of Serbo-Croatian I just mix them with Slovenian if I speak with, for instance, a Croat. They understand me for the most part, if they want to :D

I tried learning Finnish for a bit. It's really a beautiful language, but kinda tough since it's not an Indo-European language and it's not easy to learn a language if you don't have a basis for it. Like for example, if you speak English, you have a basis for Germanic languages and it makes it easier to learn them. The same with Slavic languages. I gave up on it for a while, maybe I'll continue in the future, for now I'm learning a bit of Dutch. Which I find is an easy language to learn since I see similarities with English and German. So it's fun. I'm learning it with the prospect of studying in the Netherlands or Flanders in Belgium. We'll see what the future holds :D

Oh, and it's fun being a Slav who likes different languages. You can find words with the same or similar meaning in other Slavic languages. So it's fun watching Slavic films or TV shows :D

Edited by QuinlanLJ

This one is tricky IMO, because Scandinavian countries can usually understand each other's languages, and as such speak with them and be undersood etc. Norway got two languages.

I can speak Norwegian (Bokmål), Norwegian (Nynorsk), English, Swedish, some Danish etc, and I have spoken some French and Italian, and I can understand some German.

Edited by MMDE

I'm just your standard American that only knows English. I have been learning Japanese though in college. I want to be able to be proficient enough to be able to know what a Kanji means by looking at it even though I may not know how to say it. I'd say I know about 200 Kanji.

Fluently, Chinese (Mandarin and Taiwanese) and English. I can understand most stuff in Japanese too, though I'm better at reading/listening than speaking (don't have much chance to use it in daily life).  I've also taken around 2 years of Korean classes, currently taking a break from that. I mainly just enjoy learning new languages, it's kind of my hobby :P

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Four at the moment.

My English and Irish are fluent, I've been studying German for five years and Japanese for three years; though admittedly I feel more comfortable with the latter, since I've immersed myself in it so much that I now use it on a daily basis.

I'd love to learn Korean and French sometime as well.

• Like 1

I'm a native speaker of Czech and German and I'm fluent in English and Japanese. I have a master's degree in Japanese studies and I work as a translator.

I'd love to add another one to the list, perhaps Russian, but I'm not a big fan of half-assing these things. Learning a language is great but it's pretty much a lifetime commitment, if you really want to be serious about it. The process just never ends. You can never say "Yup, I'm done with this one. Next!" So, it's probably gonna be a while before I start seriously thinking about picking up another one, if ever.

Edited by ShadowReplicant

I can speak Dutch fluently. I also can "speak" NGT (Nederlandse Gebarentaal - translated: Dutch Sign Language) and ISL (International Sign Language - English is the main language in this sign language). I don't know the sign languages does count too? :P

If not, I only can Dutch and a little English (writing better dan speaking)