• Japanese
    • Mandarin
    • Russian
    • Arabic
    • Swedish
    • Finnish
    • Italian
    • Other

While this is definitely correct, it also isn't.

If you try to combine many languages, you don't actually learn them, you just get to know their main constructs. But truly knowing a language means learning one thoughtfully :)

Of course. I think my comment was a bit ambiguous. I wasn't meaning to suggest learning a bunch of languages willy-nilly. But it's critical to get really skilled in some of main ones everyone has heard of like (and not limited to) Java, Javascript, C++ and/or C#, Python, and HTML if you want to have no issues finding jobs. If you can master syntax in a few languages you'll probably naturally go on and learn all of the languages people actually use. At that point you could make almost anything you could ever want.

• Like 1

I'm mothertongue Russian.

Then, I studied english all my life cause I wanted to be engineer since I was young and my mom told me that english is the most useful thing that engineer could know. Thx mom, you don't really understand how right you were :) But I'm lack of practice cause I don't talk english too much, I mostly read something.

And since I live in Italy for some years, sure I speak Italian, but also not so good, it's still new language for me.

So, 3 languages.

However, I'm very addicted to linguistics and despite languages I can talk, I can understand some more. For example, I can clearly understand Ukrainian and Belarusian (my grandparents lived in Ukraine so I heard it very often when I was a child and went to my grandma for summer vacation; Belarusian is something between Russian and Ukrainian). And also after I started to learn Italian, I realized I could understand some Spanish and Portuguese. Not too much really, but I think it will be enough to travel there and understand everything I need to understand :) The only one language I'm afraid of is German, It's totally out of my mind. My german classmate told me if I speak Russian, German will be easy for me, but hell no, I couldn't...

And, looking to recent discussion... I am mothertongue Shell and also speak PHP and Python :P

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

Dutch is my native tongue and I'd say I'm a pretty fluent English speaker as well. I can also communicate perfectly in German. I can understand some French and Latin as well but I'm pretty sure I couldn't have a long conversation with someone in one of those two languages :P.