post your three favorite rpg games ever played

yiazmat50112254

Oh man, I have to choose my top three games of my favorite genre. That's going to be difficult, but not hard. 

1. Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars (SNES): This is the very game that got me into RPGs to begin with, not to mention that this game has a very good story and has a high replay value. This game is also the first RPG that I ever beaten.

2. Final Fantasy IX (PSX): Definitely my all-time favorite game of the whole series in my honest opinion, and almost each of the character plays a role throughout the game. 

3. Persona 4/Golden (PS2/PS Vita): This is definitely one of the best JRPGs that I've ever played as an adult. I absolutely love the story as well as the characters since I can totally relate to them. It also has an outstanding soundtrack as well as an extremely high replay value even after you platinum the game.

Honorable Mention: Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory, Golden Sun, The World Ends With You, Kingdom Hearts, and Skies of Arcadia Legends

• Like 1

Omega Quintet:

I love this game mechanics, and the characters design looks good.

Persona 4 Golden:

I love the game's story and its soundtrack is amazing. Its characters are wonderfull.

Hyperdimension Neptunia Re;birth 3:

Well the Hyperdimension Neptunia series was the one who introduced me into the genre, so I will choose the best one in the series.

1. Ar Nosurge Ode to an Unborn Star (I love the story, characters, gameplay and the soundtrack so much)

2. Hyperdimension Neptunia Re;birth1 (I liked the original on PS3 but the remake for the PSVita was awesome)

3. Akiba's Trip Undead & Undressed (sounds like a silly game but that's what it made so much fun :3)

Would not say a top 3 is possible but those are my personal favorites of the rpgs I played. Stuff like Borderlands also score high.

Edited by Rayxtr

I never played rpg's when I was young so I've only played around 5, nethertheless

1 - Elder Scrolls V : Skyrim - Easily in my top 3 games ever and sometimes I do consider it my favourite

2 - The Elder Scrolls Online - This game has a lot of hate and I do agree there is a lot wrong with it. But I have played this game for at least a few hundred hours over the past few months and while I do get bored of it frequently, I always come back for more sooner or later

3 - Dragon Age Inquisition - It was either this or Fallout new vegas (haven't played any other DA or Fallout games) but I haven't spent enough time on new vegas so I've put this on here. I did enjoy it but got bored after about 40-50 hours

I did play a game on psp called yu-gi-oh gx tag duel tournament (im sure not many people would have played it) but it took up years of my life. If that is considered an rpg i'd like it at my number 2 spot but im not sure whether it is so I put it here

1. Monster Hunter 4U (3DS)

(I could have chosen either another game of the entire series, but the last one has trapped me for hundred of hours more than the others....therefore I love it the most)

2. Pokèmon Silver (GBA) // Soul Silver (Remake-3DS)

(This one has been my very first game, and well I can't say how much it means to me)

3. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt (PS4)

(Lately this game has been the best western rpg game I've played, and yes I'm just waiting for the expansions to get back there)

I've tried to exclude games such as FF and KH because even if i love them (and they deserve it) I feel that those games suit me better.   ;)

Edited by Re-LoreLink

MY top 3 RPG's are 

1-PERSONA 4 GOLDEN:

​from the chanters and story persona 4G it's a perfection of what P3P did and amazing rpg.

2-Panzer Dragoon Saga.

Panzer Dragon saga it's one of the best RPGS in the Saturn in my opinion but

it's also a shame the never get a re release in other consoles for peoples the never try before

if you want and RPG for the saturn and you find cheap try this one personally recommend this one.

3-Chrono Trigger.

What someone can't say of Chrono Trigger that have been say already From the story,characters,battle system and the best time travel

all you did in the past have there own consequences in the future or present and one of the first rpg's with the option NEW GAME PLUS

for new endings.

Edited by TruxtonMB

1. Suikoden II (sad it didn't even appear on the list. It is excellent).

3. Crisis Core FFVII / Final Fantasy IX (tied, can't choose. CC is to day pretty much the only game that made me shed a tear, while FFIX is basically my entire childhood).

wow.. are you my twin bro or something? 

1. Suikoden II - seriously people... try this one out... I am begging you...

2. Final Fantasy IX

3. Chrono Cross - I do love Chrono Trigger, but I've played this one before CT and therefore I got more attached to this game than the first game...

Honorable Mention:

-Valkyrie Profile

-The World Ends With You

-Bravely Default

-Legend of Legaia

-lots of FF games

Edited by JeieeM
  • Like 1

1 - Persona 3 FES (The game that made me love the Persona franchise, was my first one)

2 - Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 (God I love this game, definitely can be up there as one of my favorite series. Definitely an RPG that I'd always come back to play more of)

3 - Dragon Age Origins (Definitely one of my favorite BioWare games)

first all of you thanks again for all the posts you all have made.

because a lot of posts are made again i have made the second ranking but first i want to say some things

i also want to say i saw some people who doubted some game if it is an rpg and posted it below and says on which spot it would be if it is an rpg, it was a very smart idea to do so because i t make the ranking even more accurate so thank you for doing that.

i did also see some people who still are posting a splitted nr3, i understand it is sometimes impossible to know which you like more but i only want to ask to avoid it if you can because of the ranking.

1. Tales of Symphonia.
2. Final Fantasy VII.
3. Super Mario RPG.

In no particular order:

Tales of Symphonia
Final Fantasy VII
Supwr Mario RPG

nice try but i count the posts but also the names BEFORE i make the ranking so doubling votes won't work. :)

why actually first a top 3, and without order AFTER it, if it was the other way around it could have been you made up your mind?

of course the first post is the one i counted into the ranking.

here is the second ranking (of course with the same ranking rules as the previous time) it is exactly a top 100:

place      name                                                                  amount of points

1            chrono trigger                                                      30

2            final fantasy VII                                                     23,5

3            the elder scrolls skyrim                                        15

4            fallout 3                                                                13

4            final fantasy X                                                      13

4            kingdom hearts 2                                                 13

7            final fantasy IX                                                     12

7            mass effect 2                                                       12

9            final fantasy VI                                                     11

9            megami tensei persona 4 golden                         11

11          dark souls                                                             9

11          dragon age origins                                               9

11          final fantasy VIII                                                    9

14          tales of symphonia                                               8

14          the witcher 3 wild hunt                                          8

16          final fantasy XII                                                     7

16          megami tensei persona 3                                     7

16          megami tensei persona 3 fes                               7

19          dark cloud                                                            6

19          tales of xillia                                                          6

19          the world ends with you                                        6

19          xenoblade chronicles                                            6

23          legend of the dragoon                                          5,5

24          dark cloud 2/dark chronicle                                  5

24          dragon quest the journey of the cursed king        5

24          ni no kuni: wrath of the white witch                        5

24          pokemon emerald                                                 5

28          pokemon silver                                                     4,5

28          pokemon soul silver                                              4,5

30          breathe of fire 3                                                    4

30          hyperdimension neptunia re birth1                       4

30          earthbound                                                           4

30          suikoden II                                                            4

30          super mario rpg legend of the seven stars           4

30          the elder scrolls oblivion                                       4

30          xenosaga III also sprach zarathustra                     4

37          ar nosurge ode to an unborn star                         3

37          dragon’s dogma                                                    3

37          final fantasy IV                                                      3  

37          final fantasy XIII-2                                                  3

37          grandia                                                                 3

37          grandia II                                                               3    

37          kingdom hearts re: chain of memories                  3

37          magna carta 2                                                       3

37          monster hunter 4 ultimate                                     3

37          nier                                                                       3

37          okage shadow king                                               3

37          omega quintet                                                       3

37          pokemon black                                                      3

37          rogue galaxy                                                         3

37          secret of mana                                                      3

37          shadow hearts                                                       3

37          star ocean till the end of time                                3

37          wild arms                                                               3

37          witch and the hundred knight                                3

37          xenogears                                                             3

37          .hack//G.U. vol. 1//rebirth                                      3

58          toukiden age of demons                                       2,5

58          toukiden kiwami                                                    2,5

60          bloodborne                                                           2 

60          breathe of fire 4                                                    2 

60          dark souls 2                                                          2

60          demon souls                                                         2

60          digimon world 2                                                     2  

60          digital devil saga                                                   2

60          dragon quest sentinels of the starry skies            2

60          dragon’s dogma dark arisen                                2

60          dues ex human revolution                                    2

60          fire emblem awakening                                        2

60          golden sun                                                           2

60          hyperdimension neptunia mk2                             2  

60          illusion of gaia                                                      2

60          kingdoms of amalur reckoning                             2

60          lunar: silver star story                                           2

60          mass effect 3                                                        2

60          panzer dragoon saga                                           2

60          soul sacrifice                                                        2

60          sudeki                                                                  2

60          tales of graces F                                                  2

60          the elder scrolls online                                         2

60          .hack//infection                                                     2

82          akiba’s trip undead & undressed                         1  

82          breathe of fire                                                      1  

82          chaos rings omega                                              1

82          chrono cross                                                       1

82          dragon age inquisition                                         1

82          dragon quest warriors of eden                             1

82          final fantasy V                                                      1 

82          final fantasy VII crisis core                                    1

82          final fantasy XIII                                                    1

82          final fantasy XIII lightning returns                          1

82          final fantasy tactics                                               1

82          final fantasy type-0 hd                                          1

82          hyperdimension neptunia re birth3                       1    

82          kingdom hearts                                                     1  

82          luminous arc 2                                                      1

82          megami tensei persona 4                                      1

82          megami tensei persona Q shadow of the labyrinth 1

82          suikoden                                                               1

82          tales of vesperia                                                   1

and here the alphabetical order:

place      name                                                                  amount of points

82          akiba’s trip undead & undressed                        1  

37          ar nosurge ode to an unborn star                       3

60          bloodborne                                                         2

82          breathe of fire                                                     1  

30          breathe of fire 3                                                  4

60          breathe of fire 4                                                  2 

82          chaos rings omega                                             1

82          chrono cross                                                       1

1            chrono trigger                                                     30

19          dark cloud                                                           6

24          dark cloud 2/dark chronicle                                 5

11          dark souls                                                            9

60          dark souls 2                                                         2

60          demon souls                                                        2

60          digimon world 2                                                   2  

60          digital devil saga                                                  2

82          dragon age inquisition                                         1

11          dragon age origins                                               9

60          dragon quest sentinels of the starry skies            2

24          dragon quest the journey of the cursed king        5

82          dragon quest warriors of eden                             1

37          dragon’s dogma                                                   3

60          dragon’s dogma dark arisen                                2

60          dues ex human revolution                                    2

30          earthbound                                                          4

4            fallout 3                                                                13

37          final fantasy IV                                                     3  

82          final fantasy V                                                      1

9            final fantasy VI                                                     11  

2            final fantasy VII                                                    23,5

82          final fantasy VII crisis core                                   1

11          final fantasy VIII                                                    9

7            final fantasy IX                                                     12

4            final fantasy X                                                      13

16          final fantasy XII                                                     7

82          final fantasy XIII                                                    1

37          final fantasy XIII-2                                                 3

82          final fantasy XIII lightning returns                          1

82          final fantasy tactics                                               1

82          final fantasy type-0 hd                                          1

60          fire emblem awakening                                         2

60          golden sun                                                            2

37          grandia                                                                 3

37          grandia II                                                               3    

60          hyperdimension neptunia mk2                              2

30          hyperdimension neptunia re birth1                       4

82          hyperdimension neptunia re birth3                       1    

60          illusion of gaia                                                       2

82          kingdom hearts                                                     1  

4            kingdom hearts 2                                                  13

37          kingdom hearts re: chain of memories                  3

60          kingdoms of amalur reckoning                              2

23          legend of the dragoon                                          5,5

82          luminous arc 2                                                      1

60          lunar: silver star story                                           2

37          magna carta 2                                                      3

7            mass effect 2                                                       12

60          mass effect 3                                                        2

16          megami tensei persona 3                                     7

16          megami tensei persona 3 fes                               7

82          megami tensei persona 4                                     1

9            megami tensei persona 4 golden                          11

82          megami tensei persona Q shadow of the labyrinth 1

37          monster hunter 4 ultimate                                     3

37          nier                                                                       3

24          ni no kuni: wrath of the white witch                        5

37          okage shadow king                                               3

37          omega quintet                                                      3

60          panzer dragoon saga                                           2

37          pokemon black                                                     3

24          pokemon emerald                                                5

28          pokemon silver                                                     4,5

28          pokemon soul silver                                             4,5

37          rogue galaxy                                                        3

37          secret of mana                                                     3

37          shadow hearts                                                     3

60          soul sacrifice                                                        2

37          star ocean till the end of time                               3

60          sudeki                                                                  2

82          suikoden                                                              1

30          suikoden II                                                           4

30          super mario rpg legend of the seven stars          4

60          tales of graces F                                                 2

14          tales of symphonia                                              8

82          tales of vesperia                                                 1

19          tales of xillia                                                        6

30          the elder scrolls oblivion                                     4

60          the elder scrolls online                                        2

3            the elder scrolls skyrim                                       15

14          the witcher 3 wild hunt                                        8

19          the world ends with you                                      6

58          toukiden age of demons                                     2,5

58          toukiden kiwami                                                  2,5

37          wild arms                                                            3

37          witch and the hundred knight                             3

19          xenoblade chronicles                                          6

37          xenogears                                                           3

30          xenosaga III also sprach zarathustra                   4

37          .hack//G.U. vol. 1//rebirth                                    3

60          .hack//infection                                                    2

so here is my new ranking i hope you all enjoy it. :)

Edited by yiazmat50112254

wow.. are you my twin bro or something? 

1. Suikoden II - seriously people... try this one out... I am begging you...

2. Final Fantasy IX

3. Chrono Cross - I do love Chrono Trigger, but I've played this one before CT and therefore I got more attached to this game than the first game...

Honorable Mention:

-Valkyrie Profile

-The World Ends With You

-Bravely Default

-Legend of Legaia

-lots of FF games

Man I need to finish Suikoden II, was about 20 hours in, then I got distracted with other games. Game was amazing from what i've played though!

• Like 1

1 Dragon Quest 8: Journey of the Cursed King

2 Pokemon Emerald

3 Final Fantasy 12

Hmmm...

Tough call but I'll say -

1.) Final Fantasy VII

1st RPG game and although it's so freaking old and overrated, I will always remember it getting me into this type of game.

2.) Final Fantasy XII

My favorite FF game, really well done (imo) and can't wait for the remaster when it comes out in 2021 :P

3.) Kingdom Hearts II

I haven't played the Final Mix versions but I do plan to get both 1 & 2 eventually.  I loved the idea of Disney and FF together and it was a lot of fun.

Holy jeez, I need to play Mass Effect.

1) Grandia II

I'm really surprised this gem hasn't been mentioned. Ryudo is a fantastic protagonist and the battle system is the best ever designed for an RPG, it even got used in Child of Light.

2) Dragon Quest IX

First DQ game I played, and whilst the bosses can be considered difficult, the story negates that flaw, I enjoyed my time with it.

3) Final Fantasy XII

Now before the "FF7/8/9/10 is the best FF" purists call me an idiot, hear me out. XII was the first FF I fully played. Sure Vaan was a lame protagonist but everything else makes Vaan look more like a minor discomfort than a severe problem.

Honourable mentions: Kingdom Hearts 2, Tales of Xillia, Tales of Graces f, Tales of Xillia 2, Tales of Symphonia, FFX, Demon's Souls.

happy to hear there are some other people too that really liked final fantasy XII, because it is the best game i ever played in my life.

it may be not a really populair ff game, but i strongly recommend it to people who not have played it yet.

Well, this is pretty hard for me to answer as I've played hundreds of RPGs over the past 25 years. The following three games are certainly amongst those who would finally take the cake.

Final Fantasy III aka VI (1994, Super Nintendo)

Do I really have to introduce this one? Superb storytelling, a masterfully crafted eargasm of a soundtrack composed by Uematsu-san, and the greatest villain in video game history make this one the best 2D RPG of all time. Not even the legendary Chrono Trigger can cope with this one. This is a must for everyone who has just the slightest possible affection for RPGs. Can be found in the PlayStation Store as a PS One classic for 5 to 10 bucks. Buy or die, fuckaz!

jcldh7yj.png

Final Fantasy VIII (1999, PlayStation)

A weird story, a unique hero, and once a again a fantastic soundtrack made by the master of video game music push this game to the top of the 3D episodes of the series. If you think Final Fantasy XIII is good without having played this masterpiece then you really should do your homework. Final Fantasy VIII is mandatory for all dragonslayers and wannabe-knights.

3r2rmrkj.png

Skyrim (2011, PlayStation 3)

No words here. Go and play it. And take a few weeks off for it.

uq78xs3b.png

Edited by The Loving Sausage

strangely the posts did come really fast before my second ranking and now not so fast anymore, i actually had thought it would be the other way around :)

just curious: do you like to see the rankings, if there are some things in it you don't just say it and maybe i can change it.

Shit only allowed my top 3? non sense lol that's hard to do without at least mentioning the others.

#1 - Fallout New Vegas. Its undeniably my favorite RPG game of all time, and pretty much a tie with MAG as a overall favorite. The game's faction system, 4 major different endings, semi-civilized wasteland, hardcore mode, almost absolute player freedom, among other things make this game amazing.

#2 - Fallout 3.  

#3 - Demon Souls.

and now the others.. 

#4 - Dragon Age Inquisition

#5 - Dragon Age Origins

#6 - Dragons Dogma

#7 - Dark Souls 1

#8 - ES4: Oblivion

#9 - Mass Effect 2

Also worth noting, I have yet to start Witcher 3 or Bloodborne.

Edited by MafiaBrett

That's a difficult question because I've played a lot of (J)rpg's, especially older ones (since the SNES came out).

1: Suikoden 1 & 2

2: Final Fantasy VII

3: Secret of Mana and/or Lunar silver star story or harmony

Phew, that was tough.. >_<

Runner ups: Tales of Graces F, Ni No Kuni, Breath of fire (part 3 I think), Persona 3 and Persona 4 Golden, Wild Arms, Kartia, one of those FF tactics etc. Might have forgot a few.

Shame I never played Chrono trigger..

Edited by Cer-be-rus

Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD Remaster

• Final Fantasy X-2 was my first FF game and introduced me to RPG's and story heavy games. I must have beat the game 20 times at least. But I love the original X as well so I put the remaster so I could have both in one slot. (If this is cheating, go with X-2).

Kingdom Hearts 2

• While the entirety of the series is amazing as a whole, this one is the pinnacle of the series' gameplay. It was fast-paced and the game was one of the most fun to play through, and the final boss was simply the greatest thing ever! 10/10 story as well.

Final Fantasy IV

• While FFX has the nostalgia value and great story, FFIV was probably my favorite story out of the series. Regardless of how cliche it was at times, the plot twists were awesome! Then there was the expansive world that just got bigger as the story progressed. I loved that game to death.

1. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrin

I love this game, and I am so glad my fiancé picked it up. If my backlog wasn't so full of new games I want to experience, I would be running through again with another character.

2. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

Sort of like Skyrim meets Game of Thrones, storyline-wise. I haven't gotten far into this one yet, but I love it already, and it may overtake Skyrim if it keeps my interest at this level.

3. Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch

Fun little game with a cute story. More lighthearted than the other two, as well. Still sad in many places.

Edited by SolarCat02

• 1 month later...