post your three favorite rpg games ever played

yiazmat50112254

1. Dragon Quest IX: Sentinels of the Starry Skies

dq9reviewtop712.jpg

All of the things i loved from jrpgs of old, character customization, job system, quick turn based battles,

a light hearted story and genuine difficulty. It was like bravely default before bravely default.

2. Final Fantasy XII

final_fantasy_xii_front_page1.jpg

Huge open world with and tons of things to do, tons of customization and in my opinion some of the better

written FF characters. It might be my nostalgia goggles but back when i played this in middle school it felt like endless fun.

3. .Hack//G.U

GU_gameplay.jpg

This game introduced me to the Tales/Star Ocean style jrpg, and in my opinion its the best. I was a huge fan of the anime series since elementary so

i really enjoyed these. Its probably nothing special and not as complex as newer games of similar style but it holds a special spot in my heart.

4. Paper Mario 64 (Was really hard to choose between this/.Hack for 3)

Papermario.jpg

This game introduced me to jrpgs back when i was a child, It had some fantastic music and a combat that was simple

enough for a child but complex enough that its still fun as a adult.

5. Dragons Dogma

sfYEmbU.jpg

The most fun I've ever had with a modern rpg, In depth character customization and class system with action combat + shadow of the

colossus mechanics. Every single conflict was epic and felt like it could be my last.

And the story was suprisingly deep and thought provoking for a "Chosen One" Type story.

Edited by Lifeisgook

Seems rankings already came out but here are mine anyways

1. Star Ocean Till the End of Time

2. Kingdom Hearts

( I do think II is a slightly better made game but since the original was the first I played I am biased towards it)

3. Final Fantasy III

( mostly cause it was my first RPG ever)

1- Final Fantasy VII: 1st FF title of many. Aerith death was shocking and Sephiroth became the villain in that moment.

2- Tales of Destiny: The 1st tales I played, the one who showed me the way to the Tales of franchise.

3- Zelda - A Link to the Past: My 1st action-rpg, from a time when cartridges were expensive and we could rent them for the weekend.

O course I could name others (Chrono Trigger/Cross, Wild Arms, Alundra, Legend of Dragoon, Legend of Legaia, Xenogears, Castlevania SotN, Super Mario RPG, Diablo...) But those three certainly set me to the path of the RPG.

1) The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - Personally, I think this is probably my favorite game of all time, if not, it's very close.

2) Persona 4 Golden - This game shocked me how good it was. I'm not into any form of anime or anything of that sort. But this game is great.

3) Ermmm... :dunno: There's a few that could take this spot, but for the purpose of the list, I'll just go with Borderlands 2. Spent well over 1000 hours on this game.. so yeah xD

Just 3? That's gonna be hard.

1. Suikoden 2

Without any doubt. It is my favorite game of all time and so I love the characters, the story, the music and the battle system. Simply amazing.

2. Final Fantasy VIII

The 8th part of the FF series is by far my favorite one.

3. That is the most difficult choice... I'd say Kingdom Hearts 2, although there are some more candidates that I could have listed here.

Edited by Izularia

1. Chrono Trigger

-Music, characters, story and just the overall feel of the game is awesome.

2. Final Fantasy 6

-Square put together a brilliant RPG using everything they knew about the SNES

3. Suikoden

-When I first saw this game I didn't think I would like it but, after playing it I fell in love....even if I do mispronounce it lol.

The Legend of Dragoon (My personal all-time favorite)

Star Ocean Til The End of Time

Grandia 3

Honorable mention:

Valkyrie Profile 2: Silmeria

Dirge of Cerbrus Final Fantasy 7

Haven't really played many JRPG's on the PS3 (have majority of them in my backlog) but if this was a top-10, then I can throw some of them in there.

I feel sorry for RPG fans that weren't around in the 90's. The golden age of videogames. You can tell who is new to RPGs by their lists, in a way. Especially those that mention monstrosities such as FF Type-0, lol.

1. Chrono Trigger

2. FF7 because it was such a revolutionary game. But FF6 gets a tremendous special mention because it was, and still is, one of the best games ever made.

3. Pokemon Red/Blue/Yellow

And to add notable mentions.

4. Suikoden 2

5. Legend of Dragoon

6. Final Fantasy 9

7. Final Fantasy 4 (non US version)

8. Secret of Mana

9. Lufia 2

10. Breath of Fire 3

• Like 1

Final Fantasy VI (III when originally released in the States)

I loved the robust cast of characters, and that you weren’t forced you to have any particular main. I also really dug the story’s steampunk setting too — you don’t see that too often nowadays. The game’s graphics might leave much to be desired, but Nobuo Uematsu’s scores are just as moving today as when the game first launched.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOJi5QSxJbw — Give it a listen, (especially from 15:26 on.)   

Ogre Battle: The March of the Black Queen

One of the first strategy RPG’s I ever picked up.  The game is loaded with side quests, characters, and items galore, which is nice when you consider the 100-200 hours of gameplay required to complete it. Definitely a game you could get lost in…

Knights of the Old Republic (1)

Easily one of my all time favorites, and not just because I’m a huge Star Wars geek.  This game broke the mold of rpg’s, giving greater flexibility to the player in their decisions (complete with consequences), a feature almost every game has emulated ever since. Once you got off the intro planet of Taris, the galaxy was your oyster. The story was also extremely engaging, easily rivaling the prequel films…not that that’s hard to do. It also has one of the best plot twists evar.   

p.s. Earthbound for SNES!

• Like 1

3. Final Fantasy IX - My favorite Final Fantasy ever. It's got a lovely story, a credible villain, and fun characters. The battle system, while not the best in the series, was still really fun. The music was generally solid too, and I loved the humor throughout.

2. Persona 4 Golden - Persona 4 was on its own merits, already excellent, but this Vita re-release made it even better. I loved the characters, the boss battles, and the lore, and it didn't hurt that the trophy list was generally well-thought out and fun.

1. Xenogears - Easily my favorite RPG ever. The writing is amazing, the characters are multi-faceted and some of the boss battles are downright epic. Play this game if you haven't already. Seriously.

Honorable Mentions:

Breath of Fire III

Final Fantasy VI

Final Fantasy VII

Final Fantasy X-2

Okami

Phantasy Star IV

Pokemon Soul Silver

Radiata Stories

The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker

South Park: The Stick of Truth

Edited by darkamdusias

1. Final Fantasy 6 - (SNES) Too much to say about this game, so many well developed characters, a great story, and great pacing. Avoid the PS1 (horrible menu lag) and Mobile (artwork makes me cringe) versions.

2. Chrono Trigger - (SNES) Such a fun adventure and the artwork and music are fantastic.  Avoid PS1 version (horrible menu lag)

3. Persona 4 Golden - (Vita) Really close between this and Persona 3 (which I thought had a more engaging story), but everything about P4G is just better developed from a gameplay and pacing point of view. Persona 2 Innocent Sin was also a fantastic entry in the series but the gameplay is very dated even in the PSP version.

• 3 weeks later...

1. Mass Effect Trilogy (in my opinion it's one game because they tie in so well)

2. Witcher 3: Wild Hunt (Huge open world your opinions may have consequences and multiple endings)

3. Star Wars: KotOR (A Star Wars RPG with a choice to go to the light side or the dark side of the force and one of the best twist in a story I've seen)

Honorable Mentions:

Fable: TLC/Anniversary (Your character changes on how you act and do)

Jade Empire (a western RPG with a little eastern lore)

Witcher 1 and 2 (your actions and opinion carry on through the whole series on PC)

SW: KotOR II The Sith Lords (even though it's really an unfinished product you have a chance to influence your crewmates to follow or leave you)

Elder Scrolls: Oblivion/Skyrim (both games have a highly explorable world and fairly high customization)

Dragon Age: Origins (best fantasy game I played on console and is well worth playing to continue on to almost every bit of DLC available for it)