Say NO to online trophies!

vipers2314

I am surprised nobody's asking for the removal of online trophies or at least making them optional when going for a platinum . Nowadays a lot of developpers starts to include online trophies even for solo adventure titles , thing which was unheard of before . The main reason behind my suggestion is that those developpers fail to support the game over a long period of time  and close the servers after an average of two years , usually less for annual sports games like FIFA , NBA .... and even if you can  still play online , some trophy related features stop being updated and you can say goodbye for the platinum .Only very popular FPS titles ( Call of duty , Battlefield , Killzone ) have their servers up for over 3-4 years . Not a lot of people can afford paying full price games and prefer to wait few months and sometimes over a year to get them , that means by the time you decide to buy a particular title you'll be getting a "new" game nearing the end of its shelf life trophy wise , and not everybody have 10 hours a day to devote for gaming so he can hurry to get those online trophies before times runs up .

Taking myself as an example , i started to be interested in trophy hunting over a year ago and i have a huge collection of unopened PS3 and PS4 games waiting to be played , some dating to 2008 . I am self employed and i consider that i have more free time than the average person and i still cannot keep up . I am discouraged to start a title with unobtainable platinum because of server issue . Developpers should remove these trophies when they close the servers or never include them from the beginning . We players have the right to get a platinum even after 6-7 years from the release date , and there's a lot to loose for those studios too because a lot of trophy oriented players will never buy their games knowing they won't be able to get the plat . I just saw the thread of the unobtainable PS3 platinum's on PSNP , well me who likes to collect and play older games i'm going to check twice now before buying . Difficulty isn't an obstacle here , i actualy enjoy getting an ultra rare trophy ,but time shouldn't be one on the road for a platinum . A trophy hunter actually should hate online trophies since lots of them requires endless time spent online , with buggy servers in most cases , time better spent on finishing another game .

IMO studios will never care about making some modifications for the online trophies , they want us to buy the game as soon as possible and spend real money for in-game purchases ( DLC...) .

• Like 4

I could begrudgingly tolerate them on PS3, but since PS4 makes PS+ mandatory for online trophies, this is entirely bullshit and needs to go away. I'm not gonna sign up to an online service I don't want, fork over money I don't need to, all to get a trophy.

Edit: Actually, since you put so much effort into your post, I'll at least make a decent sized reply of my own.

So you know James Bond, that British bloke who wears a suit, gets drunk, sleeps around, has no emotional control or anything, is probably psychotic, and is somehow still employed by his country's government? Yeah, that guy, he has a game called Quantum of Solace and I got most of the single player trophies in it no problem, and could easily clean up what's left, except that there's around 10 or so multiplayer only, as in online, trophies I'd need and they would take forever even if people were still populating the game's servers, which they presumably haven't done since launch because I had the game when I got my PS3 near the end of 2011 and fucking NO ONE was on there then either.

Here's another one, Tony Hawk HD. I'm on the thing here saying if anyone wants the online trophy they should add me and I'll help. That game has one online trophy, and all you have to do is beat any random fucker in any game mode online, something as simple as getting the highest score in a 2 minute run will do it. Except that game's matchmaking system is so horribly broken beyond belief, even when people we online it was hard as balls to find someone. That's not to say it's impossible, it's just ridiculously hard and a lot of people have given up or turned to friending me, being invited by me (invites work, while the matchmaking doesn't) to a game, and then beating me in said game. ALL FOR ONE BRONZE (I think) TROPHY.

Also back in the day with GTA IV when it's servers shut down, that was one of those games I thought I'd get around to eventually, turns out I took too long and lost my chance, I had all the SP trophies but didn't have most of the grindy MP trophies. I spent a good fortnight before the closing of the servers and grinded my way up to like level 6 of the required 10, before the ability to earn trophies was taken from me. For a bit I was so into that that I genuinely had a dream wherein Rockstar patched it to make the online trophies pop instantly if you just tried to go online. Anyway, not too much later the servers miraculously came back online because they got transferred somewhere else and I didn't waste any time and sat there for days until I finally reached level 10 and got my precious platinum.

Moral of the stories? As OP said, say no to online trophies.

Edited by Super-Fly Spider-Guy
  • Like 1

This would be the death of trophies. Developers would rush a 5 min list cause they cant use the one they created for Xbox and PC. Every game would be similar to The Walking Dead trophy wise.

I've actually joked that if I ever made a game for Playstation I would make the trophies insanely easy and then charge like 10$ on PSN. You know how many trophy hunters would buy my game for the easy plat as it is only 10$ (any higher and they probably wouldn't buy it).

I don't know why developers haven't thought of this yet. Make an easy trophy list (with a plat), make sure the Plat Image is really awesome looking and give it a funny Plat Name and you are guaranteed sales (charge 5-10 dollars).

• Like 1

Trophies are trophies. As far as I'm concerned if you don't like to go for online trophies, just don't go. You don't need to earn all trophies for all your gamNe

90% of the games today have online trophies , that means your advising me to get 1 plat for every 10 games :) 

If you don't want to hunt for the online trophies, then don't. Server shutdowns are bound to happen one day sooner or later. Can't stay active forever. Last time I checked, you don't need to enjoy or obtain online trophies in order to enjoy the game. Just my honest opinion............

I've actually joked that if I ever made a game for Playstation I would make the trophies insanely easy and then charge like 10$ on PSN. You know how many trophy hunters would buy my game for the easy plat as it is only 10$ (any higher and they probably wouldn't buy it).

I don't know why developers haven't thought of this yet. Make an easy trophy list (with a plat), make sure the Plat Image is really awesome looking and give it a funny Plat Name and you are guaranteed sales (charge 5-10 dollars).

I agree with you . Even though trophy hunters are a minority , it's still a non-negligible sector developpers should focus on 

How many people couldnt have platinum due the online and the server shut down in an few years and what about people like me who couldnt bought some game back then and now their chance to get the platinum are just burned on fire just because of the bullshiet online ? Too many, we need to do something aganst those abomination that ruin our fun and your precisous time cause I hate wasting countless hours to boost

If you don't want to hunt for the online trophies, then don't. Server shutdowns are bound to happen one day sooner or later. Can't stay active forever. Last time I checked, you don't need to enjoy or obtain online trophies in order to enjoy the game. Just my honest opinion............

you are right , you don't need to earn online trophies to enjoy a game nor you need to earn ANY trophy to enjoy it too . Actually trophies aren't made to make you love a game , in fact they make you hate it . I'm talking from a trophy hunting perspective , which is earning as much points as possible , not simply enjoying a game , and without a platinum it's like you finished 2nd in the race 

Try a more reasonable estimate.

I'm actually trying to get a more reasonable estimate , but depending on the genre of games i like , 90% would be the most accurate  . 

• Like 1

you are right , you don't need to earn online trophies to enjoy a game nor you need to earn ANY trophy to enjoy it too . Actually trophies aren't made to make you love a game , in fact they make you hate it . I'm talking from a trophy hunting perspective , which is earning as much points as possible , not simply enjoying a game , and without a platinum it's like you finished 2nd in the race 

If trophies are making you hate a game, I would advise that you stop trophy hunting. Unless you're getting paid to do so, you should only do it when it's fun.

• Like 2

I already do (manly because I have crap internet). Hell, I've even passed-up some games because it had online trophies. :P

That's one of the reasons I love JRPGs, they rarely ever have online trophies. Actually, I can't even think of one right now. xD

Edited by Masamune_316
  • Like 2

Why? As far as i know the developers decide on the trophy list. If they feel a player needs to spend a certain amount of time on the online portion of the game, then that's exactly what you're supposed to do. May i remind you that a platinum trophy is awarded to a player who has done everything a game has to offer. Sure some games, like terminator salvation, throw that idea aside but it's still the reason why achievements/trophies first started. They're basically a checklist of things you can do in the game and when you cross off all the points you've basically mastered the game and done everything. At least that's why i started getting into trophies.

What i want to see developers do is to include bots in multiplayer modes. Some games already do this cs:go, killzone mercenary etc. This way you'll never have to deal with closed servers and empty lobbies because you'll always be able to play multiplayer modes with AI (making it essentially another singleplayer mode). I just don't understand why games like MAG, which is unplayable now (MP only - closed servers), never got this implemented. 

I do agree with you , i am not complaining about the inclusion of the online trophies but about the servers shutdowns which would make plat unobtainable . The bots like you say would make the online part looking like an offline Coop which is not a bad idea . But i still think it's better and easier for them to remove those trophies .

90% of the games today have online trophies , that means your advising me to get 1 plat for every 10 games :)

Maybe if you are very focused on sports games and shooters, and in that case... I thought people buy those games for the multiplayer anyway?

I don't enjoy those two genres and less than 10% of my games have online trophies.

• Like 2

If trophies are making you hate a game, I would advise that you stop trophy hunting. Unless you're getting paid to do so, you should only do it when it's fun.

Are you implying that every trophy hunter do actually enjoy every game he's trophy hunting ? Like everything in life too much of a good thing is a bad thing , and i don't think spending months on a game will make you enjoy it more . The main reason behind servers shutdowns are the lack of online multiplayers , and the cost dosen't justify the expenses . How many times have you paused the game to check a collectible video guide ? Actually trophy hunting in itself ruins your experience and prevents you from enjoying a game like you should . I only trophy hunt because i am a completionist in nature