StrickenBiged's Epic Quest for another Platinum and Rock-Godhood

StrickenBiged

Finally I can post, so here goes: dude, what the hell!!! You can't just call it an Epic Quest. You're not even certified epic :P.

Lol. It's all relative. The challenge of obtaining this plat (and learning guitar in the process) will be "epic" for me. 

But seeing as how only 147 out of 17,623 players have this plat, I'd say it's an epic challenge either way.

Edit: Those numbers are combined PS3+PS4 by the way. 

Edited by StrickenBiged

Lol. It's all relative. The challenge of obtaining this plat (and learning guitar in the process) will be "epic" for me. 

But seeing as how only 147 out of 17,623 players have this plat, I'd say it's an epic challenge either way.

Edit: Those numbers are combined PS3+PS4 by the way. 

At least the Star Ocean quest has the "epic" seal of approval :P.

Good luck Stricken! You can do it, I look forward to reading about how you progress on your musical journey :)

Once you get over that initial 1st hurdle you will find practicing becomes so much fun and it doesn't even feel like you have to try!

Thanks dude. I'm really excited to try again using this method. I've watched a tonne of the "60 day challenge" videos on YT and, while I appreciate that Ubisoft has shared these to advertise the game, the players do seem to have improved markedly during their time with the software. Hopefully the mini-games, adaptive learning curve and song choices will keep me engaged!

• Like 1

OK, so to address my latency issues from Day 1, I'm apparently going to have to go for a setup something like this:

OPTIMAL SETUP: THE FOLLOWING DIVERTS AUDIO OUTPUT SEPARATELY, NOT THROUGH THE HDTV.

HDMI CABLE + OPTICAL AUDIO TO EXTERNAL AUDIO

ps4_setup_diagram.png

• An HDMI cable alongside an optical audio cable: the optical audio carries audio to an external audio system (sound system receiver, headphones, computer speakers, etc.) separately while the HDMI cable carries video directly to the HDTV.
  • It’s important to avoid running the audio signal through the HDTV.

WARNING: Use optical audio to connect PlayStation®4 system directly to a separate sound system. Using an optical audio connection from your HDTV to an external audio system may still result in audio latency as the audio signal is sent through the HDTV.

Anyone got a set-up like this at home that they can recommend? I'm happy to use my headphones if someone can recommend a good optical to analogue converter.

OK, so to address my latency issues from Day 1, I'm apparently going to have to go for a setup something like this:

Anyone got a set-up like this at home that they can recommend? I'm happy to use my headphones if someone can recommend a good optical to analogue converter.

Went into the electronics store for some speakers I could hook up to my TV. Unfortunately, they had none in stock of the one that I decided on after hearing some in action, so I ordered it off Amazon last night. I hope it fixes the lag. Even if it doesn't eliminate it entirely, it's got to be better than the .5s or so lag that I'm getting at the moment. And my TV needs decent speakers anyway - I've been making do with the in-built TV speakers for years now. 

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the lack of updates the last few days. Have been off work with a patch of flu, and picking up the guitar didn't seem so high on my list of priorities. 

Just got paid, and am very tempted to head out and buy a bass guitar too, so I can learn both...

I have my eye on this beautiful Epiphone T-bird.

img_2275.jpg

Awesome work so far man. I'm hoping to pick this up at some point. I'm in the same boat as you, got a guitar (acoustic) for Christmas in 2002 and have tried a couple ones to learn it. I find the videos and books incredibly annoying, but I love playing games (obviously ) so I think this could work. I'll definitely keep following your updates and good luck.

Awesome work so far man. I'm hoping to pick this up at some point. I'm in the same boat as you, got a guitar (acoustic) for Christmas in 2002 and have tried a couple ones to learn it. I find the videos and books incredibly annoying, but I love playing games (obviously ) so I think this could work. I'll definitely keep following your updates and good luck.

Thanks mate. Sounds like you're in the same situation as me - interested, but lazy when it comes to practice. So far, Rocksmith has been great for that. The feeling when you see your mastery score increase after playing a song, and knowing that you're now just a bit better than you were before, is awesome and really motivating. 

If there are any bass players out there, the other basses I'm considering, besides the Epiphone Thunderbird above, is the Ibanez SR300, the Epiphone EB-3 and the Peavey Milestone (below, in that order). If anyone has any experience with these instruments and can maybe let me know whether they like these models or point out some pros and cons, I'd be really grateful to hear from you. 

Ibanez SR300

019_14.jpg

Epiphone EB-3

img_2420_1.jpg

Peavey Milestone

021_7.jpg

Good luck! I've been thinking about getting this because I'm really interested in learning to play. The thing is I have access to a few electric guitars to learn, but finding it really hard to find the game....a bit odd. But oh well.

I don't think I'm prepared to do it now in any case. Hope you make it to 90 days.

• Like 1

Good luck! I've been thinking about getting this because I'm really interested in learning to play. The thing is I have access to a few electric guitars to learn, but finding it really hard to find the game....a bit odd. But oh well.

I don't think I'm prepared to do it now in any case. Hope you make it to 90 days.

Thanks! Having fun so far, which will certainly help to keep me playing, practicing and learning.

I highly recommend it if you can find it. Try Amazon. If not, you could always go digital, but bear in mind that you need to go on Amazon anyway to find the USB to Guitar Jack cable.

• 3 weeks later...

Watched this the other day. If anyone is in the mood for a nice little documentary about a man who quits his day job to start a small business making something he loves, then this is for you. It helps if you're into basses too. He makes some really nice pieces. If I ever get super rich, and keep up with playing my bass, I know what I want. 

• Like 1

Will try to watch it some time tomorrow.

Did you? What did you think?

It made me wish that I had developed a handy (as in, done-with-your-hands) skill while I was younger, and I admired his stones for quitting and going into business for himself. Kudos to him. His creations are beautiful.

• 2 weeks later...

I keep meaning to ask and forgetting. When you are working the guitar, are you focusing on the rhythm or lead path? Just curious. I'm relatively certain I'll be getting this for Christmas and looking forward to starting my journey.

I have to remember to check this every couple days since your ninja edits don't throw a notification. :)

I keep meaning to ask and forgetting. When you are working the guitar, are you focusing on the rhythm or lead path? Just curious. I'm relatively certain I'll be getting this for Christmas and looking forward to starting my journey.

I have to remember to check this every couple days since your ninja edits don't throw a notification. :)

At the moment, I'm mainly following the Bass path. I just love the feel of those fat strings and the growly hummmmm of the bass. I still pick up my guitar every now and again to keep things fresh, but it's a janky cheap guitar which I think needs to be intonated properly as I have issues with it picking up some of the notes I play. I'd like to get a better guitar, but finances won't allow for that in the next few months. I'd like to improve with both instruments, ideally.

Will you be playing on PS4 or PS3 come Christmas? You may want to start giving some thought to your set-up as you will need to take the audio directly from the console to the speakers. Ubisoft's advice on this is here. If you don't already have separate speakers which can take the audio from your console directly, you'll need to add those to Santa's list.