StrickenBiged's Epic Quest for another Platinum and Rock-Godhood

StrickenBiged

Yeah, I've tried Amazon. The thing is here in Norway the custom duty charges you for anything over £35, including shipping AND sometimes Amazon/Amazon Marketplace doesn't ship to Norway. The best I can get is the cable, hopefully.

I have no idea which guitar this is. It was bought 10 years ago, and I can keep it as long as I want since my bro-in-law bought himself a new one a year ago. 

Okay, I'm stupid!! I could just go and see what it is:

Squier Stratocaster by Fender

Nice guitar! As far as I understand it, Squier is to Fender what Epiphone is to Gibson - that is to say that Squire is owned by Fender and makes more affordable versions of Fender guitars in the same way Epiphone makes more affordable versions of Gibson guitars. I've heard good things about Squier, and the Strat is a great design. 

Bummer about the Norway import tax. I thought you were part of the European free market and so didn't have to pay tax on imports from EU countries...

Maybe if you shopped around online you could find the game and the cable separately and each for under £35? Order them a week apart or something?

Nice guitar! As far as I understand it, Squier is to Fender what Epiphone is to Gibson - that is to say that Squire is owned by Fender and makes more affordable versions of Fender guitars in the same way Epiphone makes more affordable versions of Gibson guitars. I've heard good things about Squier, and the Strat is a great design. 

Bummer about the Norway import tax. I thought you were part of the European free market and so didn't have to pay tax on imports from EU countries...

Maybe if you shopped around online you could find the game and the cable separately and each for under £35? Order them a week apart or something?

Yeah, probs have to do that, but whichever is cheaper I'll probably go for. In Norway's case, it's like having one foot in the EEA door and the other foot out. 

Nice to see another person jumping on the instrument train albeit through the bass route. I play guitar myself and I am reasonably accomplished at it so keep wondering whether I would enjoy this or not. I have a Gibson Les Paul just waiting to earn some trophies. Glad your enjoying it dude, nothing like the sound of a real instrument.

Nice to see another person jumping on the instrument train albeit through the bass route. I play guitar myself and I am reasonably accomplished at it so keep wondering whether I would enjoy this or not. I have a Gibson Les Paul just waiting to earn some trophies. Glad your enjoying it dude, nothing like the sound of a real instrument.

I think you'd get something out of the game. At the very least, it provides a fun, gamey way of learning some new songs. 

Which LP do you have? My current intention is to bet myself either the LP Custom Pro or the Ultra Pro. Both have coil tapping on both the bridge and neck humbuckers, so are quite versatile instruments, although the Custom Pro also has phase reversal between the two pickups. What I like about these is that you can get so many different sounds out of them, so I can buy one guitar instead of 6 to get a range of sounds. 

But if you have a second opinion on the Les Paul's in general, or would like to mention any pro's and con's I'd be happy to listen as it's not like these things are small purchases!

Are you looking at the Epiphone version or the Gibson? I originally had the Epiphone SG which was a great beginners guitar as I refused to spend the £900 on a genuine one until I stuck at it. I currently have a Les Paul Studio in wine red, check it out. My only real advice would be it depends on the music you want to play. I find mine to be a very versatile guitar which sounds good for most things.

I think you'd get something out of the game. At the very least, it provides a fun, gamey way of learning some new songs. 

Which LP do you have? My current intention is to bet myself either the LP Custom Pro or the Ultra Pro. Both have coil tapping on both the bridge and neck humbuckers, so are quite versatile instruments, although the Custom Pro also has phase reversal between the two pickups. What I like about these is that you can get so many different sounds out of them, so I can buy one guitar instead of 6 to get a range of sounds. 

But if you have a second opinion on the Les Paul's in general, or would like to mention any pro's and con's I'd be happy to listen as it's not like these things are small purchases!

Are you looking at the Epiphone version or the Gibson? I originally had the Epiphone SG which was a great beginners guitar as I refused to spend the £900 on a genuine one until I stuck at it. I currently have a Les Paul Studio in wine red, check it out. My only real advice would be it depends on the music you want to play. I find mine to be a very versatile guitar which sounds good for most things.

Epiphone, definitely. First off, I would definitely want to try it out before I buy and my local shop doesn't stock proper Gibsons. Secondly, have you seen the price of American manufacturing!!! Yowser. 

So, is your LP Studio a Gibson or an Epiphone? I can't find a Studio in Wine Red on Epi's website, but I can find it in Worn Cherry. Looks like a loverly thing either way. I do like the colour red on a guitar.

The Epi LP Custom Pro I've fiddled around with is the Ebony Model (the reformed goth in me still likes black things) and the Epi LP Ultra Pro is in Vintage Sunburst (black edges fade to natural centre). Both look badass in my opinion. 

The shop near me has some SG's, including the SG400 Pro which has coil tapping so should be a versatile thing. I'll have a play with one when I next go into the shop by my initial reaction is that the design isn't as appealing to me. They are significantly cheaper though, so I may give one a go before I settle on which one I want to ask for for X-mas (and/or break and buy one now...).

Epiphone, definitely. First off, I would definitely want to try it out before I buy and my local shop doesn't stock proper Gibsons. Secondly, have you seen the price of American manufacturing!!! Yowser. 

So, is your LP Studio a Gibson or an Epiphone? I can't find a Studio in Wine Red on Epi's website, but I can find it in Worn Cherry. Looks like a loverly thing either way. I do like the colour red on a guitar.

The Epi LP Custom Pro I've fiddled around with is the Ebony Model (the reformed goth in me still likes black things) and the Epi LP Ultra Pro is in Vintage Sunburst (black edges fade to natural centre). Both look badass in my opinion. 

The shop near me has some SG's, including the SG400 Pro which has coil tapping so should be a versatile thing. I'll have a play with one when I next go into the shop by my initial reaction is that the design isn't as appealing to me. They are significantly cheaper though, so I may give one a go before I settle on which one I want to ask for for X-mas (and/or break and buy one now...).

Sorry mine is a Gibson, my SG was black so I went for something different. I also have the issue of being left handed which brings choice down a lot. They do look awesome in sunburst though for sure!!

I have coil tap on mine and it is very useful when you need it. What sort of stuff you looking to play presuming you continue after Rocksmith?

Sorry mine is a Gibson, my SG was black so I went for something different. I also have the issue of being left handed which brings choice down a lot. They do look awesome in sunburst though for sure!!

I have coil tap on mine and it is very useful when you need it. What sort of stuff you looking to play presuming you continue after Rocksmith?

Probably rock and some more metally or punky sounds. I have a diverse taste in rock music. About the only thing I don't like is the really heavy end of heavy metal, like Cradle of Filth and the like, but that's more because I can't stand the throaty roaring that goes on from the singer. I can appreciate the musicality of the band, but the "singing" puts me right off. 

My favourite bands are, off the top of my head:

• Queen
  • Foo Fighters
  • The Police
  • Blink 182
  • Green Day
  • Linkin Park
  • Disturbed
  • Rage Against the Machine
  • Slipknot
  • Five Finger Death Punch
  • The Rolling Stones
  • System of a Down
  • Papa Roach
  • The Offspring
  • Gomez
  • Dragonforce
  • Dispatch
  • Butthole Surfers
  • American Hi-Fi
  • Alkaline Trio

The one's in bold are probably my favourites, who I listen to most frequently. 

I also like some more jazzy, early rock, crooning stuff, like the sort of thing you hear in Fallout 3 and New Vegas. I've downloaded quite a few tracks from the bands featured in those games.

I also have a couple of albums from Imelda May, which I put on every now and again, and some old-school blues from the likes of Bobby "Blue" Bland.

I dunno, would you call that diverse? :D

Probably rock and some more metally or punky sounds. I have a diverse taste in rock music. About the only thing I don't like is the really heavy end of heavy metal, like Cradle of Filth and the like, but that's more because I can't stand the throaty roaring that goes on from the singer. I can appreciate the musicality of the band, but the "singing" puts me right off.

My favourite bands are, off the top of my head:

• Queen
  • Foo Fighters
  • The Police
  • Blink 182
  • Green Day
  • Linkin Park
  • Disturbed
  • Rage Against the Machine
  • Slipknot
  • Five Finger Death Punch
  • The Rolling Stones
  • System of a Down
  • Papa Roach
  • The Offspring
  • Gomez
  • Dragonforce
  • Dispatch
  • Butthole Surfers
  • American Hi-Fi
  • Alkaline Trio
The one's in bold are probably my favourites, who I listen to most frequently.

I also like some more jazzy, early rock, crooning stuff, like the sort of thing you hear in Fallout 3 and New Vegas. I've downloaded quite a few tracks from the bands featured in those games.

I also have a couple of albums from Imelda May, which I put on every now and again, and some old-school blues from the likes of Bobby "Blue" Bland.

I dunno, would you call that diverse? :D

Blasphemous, no Zeppelin!!! I agree with you on the vocals in metal, they just go too far with this growling nonsense.

You should check out some of the current bands like Black Stone Cherry etc they are awesome!!

I think with that kind of taste you should be fine with the Les Paul although you need some more old classic rock in your collection. AC/DC, The Who, Sabbath etc.

Edited by freddie1989
  • Like 1

Blasphemous, no Zeppelin!!! I agree with you on the vocals in metal, they just go too far with this growling nonsense.

You should check out some of the current bands like Black Stone Cherry etc they are awesome!!

I think with that kind of taste you should be fine with the Les Paul although you need some more old classic rock in your collection. AC/DC, The Who, Sabbath etc.

I think I have an old AC/DC album somewhere in my glove box. I also have some Kiss somewhere. But the Who, Sabbath and Zeppelin I've never really listened to...

I'll check them out, and Black Stone Cherry. Thanks for the recommendations. 

So, I decided to watch the dev's weekly live-stream last night (Twitch link if you're interested) and someone in the chat was going on and on asking how he could download the original Rocksmith tracks into the newer Rocksmith 2014

:huh:

So I did a little digging, and I found this:
___________________________________________________________________________________________________

How do I import the songs from the original Rocksmith disc into RS2014 XB1/PS4?
Before we explain, please note that these import packs are only available to owners of the original game on their original platforms. If you do not see the examples we show below on your console, you may not be eligible to download this content. Track down a copy of RS1 or RS2014 for the PS3 or RS2014 for Xbox 360 and be ready to run it on its original console before you proceed. 

PS4: UPDATE 10/23/15: First you will need to have purchased the Disc Export Pack from within the original Rocksmith for PS3 or the Disc Import Pack from within Rocksmith 2014 on PS3. There is no way to access the RS1 content on the PS4 without first owning the RS1 content on PS3. 

For instance, if you have the original Rocksmith on PS3, look for the Disc Export Access pack and purchase it for $9.99: 

AwWbF5q.png?1

Then locate this entry on your PS4, from the in-game Shop menu, under Packs, and download that material on your new system. 

QnY9NAy.jpg

Please note that if you do not own the PS3 export or import packs, you will not see this item in your PS4 RS2014 Shop menu. 

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

:blink:

:D

So I went out and found a pre-owned copy of RS1 during lunch. Once I get home I'll try and do this and see if it works. The RS1 track list has some pretty sweet tunes, so it'll be worth the roughly £15 I'll have spent on the pre-owned game and the import licence. 

Just posting this here for those Rocksmith interested people that follow this thread. If you're getting the game, you may be interested in doubling the amount of songs you can play for an extra few bucks/quid/euro.

I'll confirm later if it worked.

Edit:

It didn't work. Well, not at first, and not in the way the Rocksmith team described above. 

Here are the steps I had to take to get the Rocksmith 1 songs into Rocksmith 2014 on PS4:

1. Play Rocksmith 1 on PS3. Go into the in-game Shop and purchase the "DISC EXPORT ACCESS" for £7.99.

2. Play Rocksmith 2014 on PS4. Go into the in-game shop, choose the "Packs" list, and check that there is an item called "ROCKSMITH DISC IMPORT" in your list. 

zHhbmFB.jpg

3. Select this item and it may download. If the tracks download, then you're done. 

4. Alternatively, you may see this screen:

GSlc9XB.jpg

5. If you see this screen, then go back to your PS4's XMB, go into your Library, find Rocksmith 2014 in your list of games, open it, and scroll down to "My Add-Ons". Open "My Add-Ons" and scroll down to find an item called "Rocksmith2014 - RS1 Disc Compatibility". Download that item. 

p7haq5D.jpg

6. Once the download is complete, close and re-launch the Rocksmith 2014 application on your PS4. All the transferrable RS1 tracks should now be in your game, ready to learn. 

Thanks to Steven at Ubisoft support helpline who helped me figure that out. 

/Edit.

And FYI - here's the full RS1 track list, courtesy of Wikipedia.

Edited by StrickenBiged

Very cool.   Kind of sucks you have to pay an additional $10 to download tracks you already own, but I guess it makes a little sense, since it's on another platform.  Thanks for this.

Meh. That's licencing for you. 

Think of it this way, you didn't expect to be allowed to go and get a free copy of every movie you owned on VHS when the world switched to DVD, and you don't expect to be allowed to swap all your DVD's for Blu Rays. It'd be cool if they were free, sure, and if the devs could have without licencing issues they may well have done. 

Anyway, check my last post in a few minutes. I had some trouble getting the RS1 tracks onto my PS4, but eventually found the way and I'll be editing my last post with details of how I got it to work. 

In other news, I bought myself one of these this weekend (click image for specs):

LesPaulUltraPRO_VS_Splash.jpg

I thought I would walk out of the shop with a different guitar in all honesty, I had my eye on the LP Custom Pro. But once I got the LP Ultra Pro in my hands and compared how it played to the other guitars in store, I knew I had to have this one. The satin finish on the neck makes moving up and down the fretboard feel like sliding butter around. Loved it.

Great pick-ups too. The coil tapping works a treat and makes the guitar really versatile. 

Plus, it's got chambers inside the body, which cut out about 2lbs of weight. When you play standing up, that makes a difference let me tell you. And I love the look (I got it in the Vintage Sunburst, as pictured.)

Love playing this thing. I put in around 3 hours of practice already today!

Edited by StrickenBiged
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I got it!! I will start a few days into the new year but will probably start the thread a bit early. I got it for the PS3 version though, so will start the thread there.

I got the original Rodksmith from my wife. But we're out of state and away from my ps3 for another week so I won't be able to start for a while.
  • Like 2

Nice Edun. I'll be home tonight and have a guitar within the week. I was talking with a couple guys who wanted to start this and was thinking about starting a real informal we play for it. Was going to invite you as I knew you just got it too.

I'm definitely interested. Let me know if you start it.

• Like 1

Nice Edun. I'll be home tonight and have a guitar within the week. I was talking with a couple guys who wanted to start this and was thinking about starting a real informal we play for it. Was going to invite you as I knew you just got it too.

Ditto. It'd be a good place to post "any tips for this technique/song?" kind of questions.