StrickenBiged's Epic Quest for another Platinum and Rock-Godhood

StrickenBiged

• 2 weeks later...

Just caught up with your last 5-6 entries. Good stuff man, keep up the good work.

Thanks!

Funny that you posted that after a week of inactivity - The Witness took over my brain in a serious way and I didn't practice at all last week.

Tried to get back into it yesterday... was disastrous! My fretting fingers were all over the place, it was horrible.

Wow! I hadn't realised you made it to 60 days. Congrats! Even though I've tried to put in at least 1 hour in Rocksmith. I'm pretty sure I haven't logged in that much either. I have no idea how much I'm at right now.  

Thanks! 

They're not 60 "official" 60-day-challenge days, as Ubi recommends 60 days with at least 1hr of practice time for a day to count, and some of those were less than 1 hour. Also, I'm trying to learn 2 instruments, so it's not like those 60 days were dedicated to learning one or the other.

In other news, this week's Song Pack is a 5 pack from The Offspring!

There's already an Offspring Song Pack on the store, but those were all from the 90's and no one had heard of them. 

I'm definitely getting this pack though. Those are some of my favourite Offspring tracks.

In case anyone with a US PSN account is interested in Rocksmith 2014, you may like to know that it's only $20 at the moment, down from $60 normally. Offer only open to 16 Feb. Great deal if you have a guitar lying around and want some more impetus to practice.

they'd still need to purchase/order a USB tone cable. Still much cheaper than getting the game new, but just wanted to make that clear.
  • Like 1

Why are all platinum quests "epic"?  :lol:

So, how goes the hunt, stricken? It's been a week since your last update regarding your personal progress.

I'm epic and it rubs off on everything I do. :P

Don't know what you mean on that second bit. I updated my diary this morning. Click one of the guitars in my sig to get taken to the first post in this thread - that's where I keep my diary so that everything is in one place. 

I'm epic and it rubs off on everything I do. :P

Don't know what you mean on that second bit. I updated my diary this morning. Click one of the guitars in my sig to get taken to the first post in this thread - that's where I keep my diary so that everything is in one place. 

Ah - sorry about that. I was just checking later posts in the thread. I'll do so!

• Like 1

You guys could always post your update, then paste it into the OP. That way I'd conveniently get a notification each time, but a new reader would have all the Info in one place. :)

I could do that, if you'd like. No real inconvenience to me. 

Day 69: 13 Feb 2016

Continued my progress with RAtM songs today. Renegades of Funk is now my easy "go to" RAtm song (should have a go at that on score attack, actually...) and the mastery is somewhere like 98%. Only hard part is getting the game to detect the double stop hammer-on in the main riff. Sounds fine on the guitar, but the game doesn't always give it to you. Which is weird because usually its the other way around - the game will give it to you even if what you've just played sounds like kak. 

Managed to get Killing in the Name Of completely unlocked, but need to keep working on it. Somewhere like 80% mastery right now. 

Bulls on Parade is coming along nicely too. Managed to get it completely unlocked and I'm also at something like 80% for that one. Need to spend some time on the main riff though because it's one of those "the game is giving it to me but it sounds like shit" situations. Mustn't allow myself to rely on the "game" if I want to improve. 

As I was in Eb tuning after Bulls, I jumped up the track list to Basket Case and ended up playing through that 3 or 4 times. All my practice with power chords on the Offspring songs has really paid off - I was able to get it fully unlocked and not sounding too bad! Again, something around 80-85% mastered.

By the way, I found a great resource over the weekend. This YouTube playlist features Ben Eller, a musician who has contributed guitar work to acts such as Whitechapel (I confess, I have never heard of them). Anyway, he seems accomplished in his videos, and his videos are delivered with humour, so check him out. 

• Like 1

By the way, I found a great resource over the weekend. This YouTube playlist features Ben Eller, a musician who has contributed guitar work to acts such as Whitechapel (I confess, I have never heard of them). Anyway, he seems accomplished in his videos, and his videos are delivered with humour, so check him out. 

Whitechapel are a very very metal band. I don't care for them but I am not surprised that you haven't heard of them. In the metal community, they are pretty big though. 

Edited by skateak
  • Like 1

Day 70: 16 Feb 2016

A very fun and productive session today.

Started off with Renegades of Funk. Gave it a play on Learn a Song Mode, then thought "yeah, I got this", so went to Score Attack. Nailed it on Hard before moving to Master Mode. Failed my first attempt (I just hadn't remembered when the arrangement shifts between phrases), but got it on my second attempt without a single strike. Think I got a silver pick overall.

Then went back to Learn a Song and played through Bulls on Parade and Killing in the Name Of a few more times.

I misspoke last time I updated here, neither of these are at 100% yet. There's just a few notes missing in each, apparently. Anyway, improved my overall mastery on both. 

Then hit a few Rocksmith missions that were in my list. These had me playing You Really Got Me to 33% mastery and then We Are the Champions on Score Attack Easy. Then had to do 2 Rocksmith Recommends items for Pretty Fly (for a White Guy), one was to look at the chord book, and another was to play a riff in riff repeater. Easy, done. 

Next mission was to get a song to 75% mastery, so I busted open my PSN wallet and bought my latest song pack, Linkin Park. Big fan of these guys' early work!

Started off with In the End. Very easy song on lead. The whole thing is basically 4 harmonics in a repeating pattern, with a short riff of single fret double stops which repeats once before going back to the harmonic pattern. Hardest part of this song was the harmonics, from a technique perspective - it's harder to get them to really sing on the unwound G, B and e strings which require a lighter touch and a quicker retreat once you've picked the string than the wound strings - and getting the game to recognise the double stops in such a low tuning (the song is in EbDropDb). 

Anyway, played through it 3 or so times in Learn a Song to get the Rocksmith Mission done, then went to Score Attack and cleared it on Hard and Master difficulties. No strikes on either, but I did fluff a few harmonics here and there. 

Then had a quick play through Numb, before calling it a night.

Whitechapel are a very very metal band. I don't care for them but I am not surprised that you haven't heard of them. In the metal community, they are pretty big though. 

Jesus, you weren't kidding. Just watched the video for Let Me Burn and, well, fuck. 

Not for me. I like a bit of reasonably heavy metal but when the vocals are all that throaty growling thing, I get turned off. 

Jesus, you weren't kidding. Just watched the video for Let Me Burn and, well, fuck. 

Not for me. I like a bit of reasonably heavy metal but when the vocals are all that throaty growling thing, I get turned off. 

Same way. I like the metal guitar style but I can do without the vocals. I like more melodic stuff.

• Like 1

Day 71: 18 Feb 2016

Had a bit of a mixed session today. 

Spent most of my time on the guitar. Started work on a few more Linkin Park tracks. Some of them get quite complicated once the difficulty starts to rise. Made the most progress on Bleed It Out. A good song for me to practice because it has a long riffs of double stops played on the B and e strings, which I find harder to get to as a general rule. 

Played a couple of RAtM songs, but wasn't feeling it. Bailed halfway through Killing in the Name Of, once I got to the main riff I was rudely awakened to the fact that my fingers were being flappy sausages. Decided at this point that I'd like to play some bass tracks. 

Overall, not too bad a guitar session but, equally, not great. Didn't really push myself to progress today. I guess practice is practice.

So, on bass I basically just played through the Linkin Park songs a few times. Some of them have some nice bass lines. Numb in particular stood out. Lots of nice sustains, and its interesting how the rhythm of the bassline sort of straddles syncing with the vocals and the beat. Might try to make this one another score attack master clear, if I can.

Edit: Corrected the Linkin Park song in final paragraph.

Edited by StrickenBiged

Day 72: 20 Feb 2016

Had a purely bass session today. 

Played through the Linkin Park songs a few times. Managed to get Bleed It Out 100% cleared on Master Mode in score attack on my first attempt, so that was nice. 

Played through some other stuff too, mainly just doing whatever the Rocksmith missions told me to do. 

Finished up with some time spent on the guitarcade games, mainly Gone Walin and Temple of Bends (which is really hard on bass, boy do you need strong fingers there). Leveled up in Gone Walin but couldn't earn a single star in Temple of Bends.

Overall, a pretty directionless session but practice is practice.

• Like 1

Day 72: 20 Feb 2016

Had a purely bass session today. 

Played through the Linkin Park songs a few times. Managed to get Bleed It Out 100% cleared on Master Mode in score attack on my first attempt, so that was nice. 

Played through some other stuff too, mainly just doing whatever the Rocksmith missions told me to do. 

Finished up with some time spent on the guitarcade games, mainly Gone Walin and Temple of Bends (which is really hard on bass, boy do you need strong fingers there). Leveled up in Gone Walin but couldn't earn a single star in Temple of Bends.

Overall, a pretty directionless session but practice is practice.

Gone Wailin' is so easy. You'll definitely get to the trophy before the end of the month. I haven't tried Temple of Bends, yet. From what you've written, I don't think I'll touch that game for a while.

Gone Wailin' is so easy. You'll definitely get to the trophy before the end of the month. I haven't tried Temple of Bends, yet. From what you've written, I don't think I'll touch that game for a while.

Thanks for your faith! I don't think I will get it before the end of the month though. I go on holiday tomorrow evening, and will be working late tonight so wont get to play.

In fact - I was going to make this post anyway - don't expect updates on my progress until around the 4th/5th March as I won't be with my instruments. May still post some guitar related stuff I read/watch and find interesting though, if I do so.

• 2 weeks later...

Day 73: 3 Mar 2016

Just a quick session today as my wife was feeling unwell and was losing her patience with my miserable flailing at the strings.

Got back into it after my holiday with play throughs of a few songs like Basket Case, You're Gonna Go Far Kid, All I Want, I Want You Bad and some 30 Seconds to Mars song which I can't remember the name of right now.

My mastery scores were fairly close to the maximum I've achieved on each of these, so not too much was lost in my week off as far as the game is concerned. However, the actual sound I was producing did not sound good. No where near as clean as I have been able to play. Lots of muted sounds where there should be clear notes, and errant strings coming in where they should be muted. Very droll. 

Hopefully my next session I'll be a bit more back to normal.

• Like 1