The purpose of adding friends on PSN...?

PleaseHoldOn

The obvious answer is "to play games with them".  Okay, got it.

I'm sure there are people out there with giant friend lists though, and I'm sure you don't play games with all of them.  There are people with the verbiage "I'll add anyone!"  Or "I'll add anyone, as long as the friend request isn't blank!" on their profiles here.

Could someone explain the purpose of this to me?  On Steam, I kind of get it.  I have 100+ friends on Steam.  Why?  Because the activity feed is so interesting.  People post significant status updates that are visible to friends.  People post personal gaming (and sometimes non-gaming) stories.  Gaming news, interesting sales, friend-only giveaways, etc.  People post videos and screenshots en masse to the Steam activity feed, at the click of a mouse button (without having to post it to Twitter or Instagram, or having to upload it to some third party hosting site).  It's very interesting to read on a daily basis... and the more people I add, the more I see.  I've done my share of all these things as well.  So I get the purpose of it.

Maybe I'm missing something on the Playstation, but outside of playing games with people, I see zero reason to add anyone to my friend list.  If you're the type that does add random people, what's your reasoning for it?  What's the benefit of doing that?  If there are social features available on PSN itself that I'm not using, I'd love to know about it. :)

Thanks!

Edited by PleaseHoldOn
  • Like 1

I Usually find it hard to not accept friends requests. I guess it makes me feel bad so i add almost all players except one or two who i knew were hackers/modders from GTA V and COD BLOPS.

A benefit of having a high number of friends is that if you see one with a game you need to boost you can message them. That way you don't have to create a gaming session etc. etc. Some randoms have also been quite friendly.

Also seeing a range of different avatars makes it look quite nice. We can have 2000 friends so i have no reason not to add anyone.

PSVita and PS4 also have activity feeds to see what your friends have been playing/what trophies they achieved/what games they bought etc.

Yeah, I've noticed that.

And I think that 3.0 update that's currently being beta tested will be a huge step forward by allowing you to comment on these updates specifically, and adding "communities" where you can easily share screenshots and video.  It'd be nice though if the friend list were a community in and of itself though.  Not being able to easily share the media we capture while gaming with friends on PSN is a huge lost opportunity from a social perspective.

Edited by PleaseHoldOn

Gives us new targets to constantly stalk on this site. I didn't check profiles of people on this site until some added me. If you read my post on the other thread, I'm quite a bitch to add people on PSN, even my signature highly states that. The ones I have added on PSN though, I'm constantly checking whatever they are playing because I like doing it. Per example, kidson2004 (wrong ID?) posted a status update about Arcana 3 boost not long ago and I replied back saying that he should add TrueWater because I was seeing him playing that and when I stalked his profile, I saw he didn't have the online done.

• Like 1

Yeah, I've noticed that.

And I think that 3.0 update that's currently being beta tested will be a huge step forward by allowing you to comment on these updates specifically, and adding "communities" where you can easily share screenshots and video.  It'd be nice though if the friend list were a community in and of itself though.  Not being able to easily share the media we capture while gaming with friends on PSN is a huge lost opportunity from a social perspective.

You can PM any screenshots you take to your friends, and you can comment on the statuses on the Vita (not sure about PS4)

most ppl on my list are ppl i have played a game together (like boosting or just for fun) , and i never deleted them. Because why should i delet them? there is no contra to have ppl on friends list. and it is fun sometimes to go throught the list and see what some ppl play. And ofcause i have some real life friends on my list too, so it is easier to play together.

Edited by Xionx
  • Like 2

I dunno about Steam.. I constantly get invites from people with hidden profiles, which normally means they're up to no good. Back on the 360, I'd accept whatever random invite I'd get, but when I filled my list, I'd forget who was who and when I started on PSN, I stopped accepting randoms and would only accept people that I knew for sure who they were (from trophy sites and such). My list is pretty small now, but I like it since it's less confusing.

I do not like the "Suggested Friends" thing and block anyone who didn't turn the "broadcast me to friends of friends" since it's the only way to get rid of that section.

Edited by DragonessHera

You can PM any screenshots you take to your friends

Work-arounds! *shakes fist*

It should be their choice if they want to thumb through my screenshots (be it through some sort of activity feed or easily visible from my profile itself *pipedream*), I'd rather not shove it down their throats. xD

It'd be great if a feature came around where we could click on a friends profile on the Playstation console itself and look at the screenshots they upload.  Have the ability to "like" them.  Be able to sort by oldest, newest, most popular, etc.  Someday.

Edited by PleaseHoldOn

It'd be great if a feature came around where we could click on a friends profile on the Playstation console itself and look at the screenshots they upload.  Have the ability to "like" them.  Be able to sort by oldest, newest, most popular, etc.  Someday.

Like going in their PS4 lists and checking the trophy screenshots, per example? Don't make me dream about it... :(

I won't add randoms, unless it's to do with things such as boosting etc, and depending on how we get on/becoming friends whilst boosting, then sure, I won't bother deleting them afterwards

I myself have never seen the point in adding hundreds of friends for the simple fact of, well, having lots of friends? It's pointless

I know every single person on my PSN friend list to a decent extent, and actually know what 26/50 of them look like lol

• Like 1

For most part, my friend list is comprised of people who I boosted with - and this is on more than one game too - so I've become pretty good friends with most of the people and we have a website where we also chat and arrange fun sessions.  If we see each other on games we share we can offer to help each other (even if it comes down to something simple as tips)

I've been in casual party chats before with friends too whilst playing a game, which can also be great fun.

I don't add a massive amount of people though as typically I am antisocial when gaming.  I don't mind people sending me messages and chatting, but I tend to reply in my own time and have come across people in the past who have spammed me with messages to the point where I have got annoyed and deleted them.  PSN is not Facebook and I don't need to know every personal detail down to what someone had for their last meal, or when they took their last shit (I know I'm being a little over the top there but you can see my point)

• Like 2

PSN is not Facebook and I don't need to know every personal detail down to what someone had for their last meal, or when they took their last shit (I know I'm being a little over the top there but you can see my point)

Those kinds of status updates are such an effortless way to get to know people better though, both for gaming purposes and personally. :)

And like it or not, that's the direction it's going.  Hence the 500 different ways to tie your PSN account to Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and YouTube. xD  I would just personally rather keep it all contained in PSN itself, then outsource it to third party websites where people really don't care about my gaming related antics.

Edited by PleaseHoldOn

I used to add just about anybody that sent me a request. I then went through and cleaned it out of anyone that I never played with and/or spoke to. I no longer accept blank friend requests. Tell me why you're adding me or who you are and I have no issue with adding you. I, too, don't get the purpose of randomly adding people with whom you have no intention of ever interacting.

Those kinds of status updates are such an effortless way to get to know people better though, both for gaming purposes and personally. :)

And like it or not, that's the direction it's going.  Hence the 500 different ways to tie your PSN account to Facebook and Twitter. xD

I dislike Facebook anyway, so I guess I might be in the minority there :)

Most of the people on my list I have gotten to know personally anyway and I tend to keep my list that way.  Like Okabe, I also know what a lot of the people on my friends list look like :)

• Like 1

I have a few people added but not as many as some might have but I do like to compare trophy lists. It interests me seeing what games they have played & to see what trophies we have have earned on game we might of played, I do find it comes in hand if the trophy of a game requires a friend like sending them a gift or anything. I'd just about accept any request that I get sent if I do get any

I dislike Facebook anyway, so I guess I might be in the minority there :)

I like the concept of Facebook, I don't really use it though.  Kind of disowned it a decade ago when I realized it was just people complaining a lot about things I didn't care about.

Now... if there were a Facebook that revolved around gaming, where I could effortlessly post up screenshots/videos, talk about new games I bought, reminisce about old games, and look at others doing the same... that'd be pretty neat. ;)  That's not terribly far off from what a site like PSNProfiles offers, but being able to share our captured media is a pretty big get IMO.

• Like 1

I get about 3-5 friend requests a day, I think its mostly due to youtube though. As I don't play online and the few who do write messages are usually sending fan mail. I feel genuinely bad turning down friend requests from people who are friendly and I know how personally people take being removed from friend lists.

I think the PSNP friend list on this site is a bad thing though, from what I've seen people just use it as a means to be passive aggressive and I seen way too many people argue over stuff related to being added or removed.

• Like 2

Most of the people are people that I've boosted with and those who remain on my list are for the most part people who have interesting trophy list that I like to compare my list to.  Furthermore I don't really need to know anything about these people such as their likes and dislikes or any interesting gaming stories they may have.  There are way to many games that I still have to play that I don't really have time to go and read random information about other people.