FF A Realm Reborn Subscription

I heard there's a subscription fee for this game. Do I really need to pay a fee to play online other than having a PS+ membership?

I was thinking about getting this on my PS3 since it looked really cool.

PS+ is only required for PS4 gaming. You have the first month free, but need to pay to continue playing after that. Don't worry, if you get bored by the first month, you don't need to pay after, so it's a win-win.

• Like 1

PS+ is only required for PS4 gaming. You have the first month free, but need to pay to continue playing after that. Don't worry, if you get bored by the first month, you don't need to pay after, so it's a win-win.

This. Since you plan on getting it on PS3, you don't even need PS+.

You can do basically everything in a month if you want to as well, you just can't get the plat. It's a fun game, and the story is surprisingly good for an MMO. I'd recommend picking it up, especially since it's only $10 right now in the anniversary sale.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

You're gonna love it. It's really good, and I recommend going to the Diablos server since that's what I'm on. But other than that, you're really going to enjoy it and if you really like the game and story that much during your free month, I recommend buying the expansion as well. If you want to, that is. :)

Do you still play this? i want to start soon.

Server depends on 1) you location and 2) whether or not you want to raid. If you're interested in end-game raiding it's worth it to research which servers have an active raiding community. Location is more reflective of which server base is closer to where you live. Since I'm in NA I use the NA servers to reduce lag. I also use Sargatanas, a legacy (meaning an original server from before A Realm Reborn), so it goes by Pacific Time. Since I'm Eastern Standard Time I find that the down-times do not effect me as much.

As far as the rest is concerned I will redirect you. Keep in mind that the race benefits for classes is negligible. Just choose what you want to be. You'll get a free chance to change races after 30 days if you wish. I'll also personally say that the general consensus for first time MMO players is to start as a DPS class as opposed to a Tank or a Healer. However, I jumped in as Healer and did just fine.

http://www.usgamer.net/articles/final-fantasy-xiv-guide-which-class-should-i-pick

Some Reddit Threads where people debate the topic:

https://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/37ee1h/what_classjobrole_should_i_play_guide_for_new/

https://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/2omubg/best_class_for_beginner/

If you have any further issues please feel free to PM me or message here. Also, I'm on Sargatanas. Hit me up there if you join that server.

• Like 3

Any tips for a starter? server, class, etc.

*snip*

I'd suggest to start with a tank/healer class, Marauder/Gladiator or Conjurer if you're planning on playing the begin game solo. Story dungeon queue's for DPS' can take quite a while (up to 25 minutes sometimes) And starting from level 15ish you'll have to run a couple of them. I have this problem all the time with my DPS class, luckily i can harass my friends to run it with me :P

You can still join the other guilds later on if you want to be a DPS. Although you'll level a tad bit slower. But you need to grind levequests and FATEs anyway for the trophies :P

Edited by Zone Hunter
  • Like 1

I'd suggest to start with a tank/healer class, Marauder/Gladiator or Conjurer if you're planning on playing the begin game solo. Story dungeon queue's for DPS' can take quite a while (up to 25 minutes sometimes) And starting from level 15ish you'll have to run a couple of them. I have this problem all the time with my DPS class, luckily i can harass my friends to run it with me :P

You can still join the other guilds later on if you want to be a DPS. Although you'll level a tad bit slower. But you need to grind levequests and FATEs anyway for the trophies :P

This is an excellent point if you're playing solo.

Allright i'll be a Marauder/Gladiator or Conjurer, don't know the server yet. 

If someone wanna join the adventures of a newbie on FF14, add me! B)

Server depends on 1) you location and 2) whether or not you want to raid. If you're interested in end-game raiding it's worth it to research which servers have an active raiding community. Location is more reflective of which server base is closer to where you live. Since I'm in NA I use the NA servers to reduce lag. I also use Sargatanas, a legacy (meaning an original server from before A Realm Reborn), so it goes by Pacific Time. Since I'm Eastern Standard Time I find that the down-times do not effect me as much.

As far as the rest is concerned I will redirect you. Keep in mind that the race benefits for classes is negligible. Just choose what you want to be. You'll get a free chance to change races after 30 days if you wish. I'll also personally say that the general consensus for first time MMO players is to start as a DPS class as opposed to a Tank or a Healer. However, I jumped in as Healer and did just fine.

http://www.usgamer.net/articles/final-fantasy-xiv-guide-which-class-should-i-pick

Some Reddit Threads where people debate the topic:

https://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/37ee1h/what_classjobrole_should_i_play_guide_for_new/

https://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/2omubg/best_class_for_beginner/

If you have any further issues please feel free to PM me or message here. Also, I'm on Sargatanas. Hit me up there if you join that server.

I live in Brazil, do you know the closest server?

• 2 weeks later...

If someone wanna join the adventures of a newbie on FF14, add me!  B)

There is no official Brazil servers on FFXIV.  Your closest ones would be the NA ones which are based in Canada.  Although I think Behemoth is the non-official one for most Brazilian players.

This isn't actually true Bucknerd, DPS classes can take a lot of effort to learn.  Even more so than a Tank or Healer, there is Paladin and White Mage which are kind of easy, at least until you begin to do proper raiding with them.  But as for DPS, Dragoon is quite a hard class. Summoner has like a thousand buttons (jk.. but seriously.. for a controller player, Summoner is pretty damn tricky, god forbid you don't control your stupid Garuda pet which sends mob flying, annoying every melee and tank out there, as is Scholar - it's a healer.. that people like in the hardcore endgame if they can DPS and let their fairy and partner WHM to do the healing).  Monk has a whole pile of attack from the side, attack from the back etc, your memory has to be quite good.  Out of all the DPS classes, I'm going to say Black Mage is the most easiest to learn as they have a rather simple rotation.  Apart from that, every DPS takes quite a bit of practice to get good at.  I often find players who mainly play healers or tanks think our jobs are easy when it's actually usually the complete opposite.

Edited by DEMON

If someone wanna join the adventures of a newbie on FF14, add me!  B)

Do NOT be a healer, unless you understand what you're doing, played Healer in other MMO's etc

Communities like this may be friendly to newbies

But in-game if you suck at healing you'll fuck up your entire dungeon/raid run etc. and the amount of hate you'll get is unreal

Sounds like I'm being a douche but trust me

If Healer or Tank make a single wrong move, they regret it :')

I do the Heals, and it can be stressful too

There is no official Brazil servers on FFXIV.  Your closest ones would be the NA ones which are based in Canada.  Although I think Behemoth is the non-official one for most Brazilian players.

This isn't actually true Bucknerd, DPS classes can take a lot of effort to learn.  Even more so than a Tank or Healer, there is Paladin and White Mage which are kind of easy, at least until you begin to do proper raiding with them.  But as for DPS, Dragoon is quite a hard class. Summoner has like a thousand buttons (jk.. but seriously.. for a controller player, Summoner is pretty damn tricky, god forbid you don't control your stupid Garuda pet which sends mob flying, annoying every melee and tank out there, as is Scholar - it's a healer.. that people like in the hardcore endgame if they can DPS and let their fairy and partner WHM to do the healing).  Monk has a whole pile of attack from the side, attack from the back etc, your memory has to be quite good.  Out of all the DPS classes, I'm going to say Black Mage is the most easiest to learn as they have a rather simple rotation.  Apart from that, every DPS takes quite a bit of practice to get good at.  I often find players who mainly play healers or tanks think our jobs are easy when it's actually usually the complete opposite.

No, DPS is pretty simple

Healing requires a tonne of micro-management, mana management, babysitting, right speccing etc

Tanking is the same

DPS you literally choose your target and click, easy

Talking from years of WoW experience and a year with FF XIV on PC

No, DPS is pretty simple

Healing requires a tonne of micro-management, mana management, babysitting, right speccing etc

Tanking is the same

oh oh oh ..... there is so much between "choose target and click" and "do max dmg" .

Sorry but i played dragoon alot , and i saw many many dragoons with major mistakes in rotation /priority on skills. 

The different on the dmg output is huge , and that can make diffrence between an extrem mode kill or not (most likely bosses with dps race phase like titan heart phase) .

I healed all bosses extrem mode (except shiva) on base game, and for me it was easier than not messing up perfect dmg rotations. But do be honest ..... dragoon is way harder than barde .  so you cant say "dps is hard or easy" .

Do NOT be a healer, unless you understand what you're doing, played Healer in other MMO's etc

Communities like this may be friendly to newbies

But in-game if you suck at healing you'll fuck up your entire dungeon/raid run etc. and the amount of hate you'll get is unreal

Sounds like I'm being a douche but trust me

If Healer or Tank make a single wrong move, they regret it :')

I do the Heals, and it can be stressful too

No, DPS is pretty simple

Tanking is the same

It's not as simple as that. Without knowing your rotations as a DPS, you are useless when it comes to the end game. I have a DRK at 60 and find tanking rather easy (this was my first tank, this class is basically MP management), I'm also told I do pretty good DPS with it (over a 1000). I find WHM extremely easy and boring class to play, I have a friend who took it into Turn 13 after just leveling it and we made it til Phase 4 on the first attempt with him healing (much better attempt than when he was a Ninja ever). Don't assume all DPS jobs are extremely easy where all you have to do is click, it looks rather ignorant.

Also like the ninja poster above me said; It is mainly the DPS who make the clear on any raid/extreme boss, if DPS is crap, you'll hit enrage.

Edited by DEMON

From experience:

This game is designed for you to try on multiple class and having been an FC leader and a Raid group leader, it is best to try on multiple class to see what suits you. For some, healing is easier than DPSing and for other tanking is easier than healing. This isn't a question someone else can answer for you unless they know you well.

What we can help you with though is general and basic knowledge on the 3 type of classes: Tank, Healer or DPS. The game has a pretty good learning curve imo and is it true that you can play "casually" until you hit level 50-60. Once you reach end-game content though, it's all about being as efficient on your job as possible.

Tank players need good area awareness. They aren't required to be masters of their attack rotation but definitely need to learn dodging while moving the less possible, directing monsters to specific area of a map and facing them in specific direction.

Healers need good overall awareness, watching buff and debuffs on team members. Watching monster attack patterns to mitigate the damage as efficiently as possible. Some say you need good MP management, but honestly the less mistake your teammates do, the less MP you have to spend.

DPS are about mastering their attack rotation and applying buffs at the right timing. All while dodging as efficiently as possible to return to their damage dealing. While it sounds simple; in endgame content where fights last 10 minute average, staying focused the whole 10 minutes on every attempt is mind taxing for most. End-game content nowadays have special mechanics that requires DPS to do special task too and most of these requires precise timing.

tl;dr = try several jobs in dungeons

• Like 2

If going for platinum only, do you have to do any/lot of end game raids? And apart from levequests, can other trophies earned in first month. Also do you acquire levequest "permits" (or whatever they are called) when you run out of subscription?

I played lot of WoW during Wotlk and Cata era, but got bored/burn out giving orders/directions to raid groups. There were always someone who came without knowing encounters but decided that he didn't need tell it to others. 

DPs is easy

Don't even care :')

Hush. I only suggested DPS from my own personal experience and what most of my FC Mates have said about a DPS mistake in a dungeon not being as noticeable/deadly as a Tank or Healer mistake. There are still plenty of responsibilities in that role and exclusions to what I just said. God only knows how many times we've all died because DPS failed their pivotal role in a fight (I'm looking at you Ravana). The opposite of that statement is equally true. DPS save my ass and protect me in Alex 4.

I jumped in as a Healer even though this was my first MMO and did just fine. That being said being an experienced RPG fan and having FC Mates helped immensely. Either way, despite what role you chose, just be sure to watch a video before you go into an encounter and you'll be fine. At this point in the game you're bound to be playing low level dungeons with others leveling other classes. Do not be afraid to ask your party for mechanics.

If going for platinum only, do you have to do any/lot of end game raids? And apart from levequests, can other trophies earned in first month. Also do you acquire levequest "permits" (or whatever they are called) when you run out of subscription?

I played lot of WoW during Wotlk and Cata era, but got bored/burn out giving orders/directions to raid groups. There were always someone who came without knowing encounters but decided that he didn't need tell it to others. 

I would be very VERY surprised if you get 1000 Fates in your first month. I've been playing since May 2014 and have around 700 Fates. This is actually my final grind trophy for the plat. However, since I'm only just now starting to level another class, I haven't had as much need for Fate grinding until now. I would say going for your Relic or Anima weapon will contribute to the FATE count but there's absolutely no way you're going to be going for your Anima weapon during your first month of play, especially if you're going for the crafting/gathering trophies at the same time. Given your need to craft and gather for the plat I'd also be surprised if you got 100 raids unless you concentrated solely on it.

All this being said the only end-game raid trophy is clearing Turn 5. However, since everyone is over geared, Twintania has transformed into quite the pushover. I'll be surprised if you aren't able to obtain this easily if you know your mechanics.

You obtain 6 levequest allowances a day. They can stack until 100 and then you stop accumulating. If you want to focus on getting this plat as fast as possible I'd say start doing gathering levequests first to help you get the 1000 trophy.

Edited by Bucknerd

Not at all! If focusing on getting the platinum only, the trophy "Seeker of Truth" which requires you to clear the Binding Coils of Bahamut is the only end-game content related you need to do for trophies. The Binding Coils is a 5 stages raid instance that was the hardest content when A Realm Reborn came out. It was designed to be cleared with gear level 90 and character level 50. Nowadays however, because of the Heavensward expansion and all the patch updates, it became a joke with unsynced mode and very easy to get gears level 130. (gears item level can go up to 210 if you have the Heavensward expansion and do the new end-game content)

It might be a confusing answer if you are unfamiliar with the game; basicly to answer your question = No, very easy and can be cleared in less than an hour once you have that unlocked even with no prior knowledge on mechanics.

For the levequest "permits" called Allowance, they do accumulate while you run out of subscription though as Bucknerd mentioned, they can only stack until 100. After which you'd have to log-in and use them toward your 1000 levequests completed. Getting a 100 takes 17 days, so after your first month, you can wait before paying if you want a small break.

Edited by minh2t

Hush. I only suggested DPS from my own personal experience and what most of my FC Mates have said about a DPS mistake in a dungeon not being as noticeable/deadly as a Tank or Healer mistake. There are still plenty of responsibilities in that role and exclusions to what I just said. God only knows how many times we've all died because DPS failed their pivotal role in a fight (I'm looking at you Ravana). The opposite of that statement is equally true. DPS save my ass and protect me in Alex 4.

I jumped in as a Healer even though this was my first MMO and did just fine. That being said being an experienced RPG fan and having FC Mates helped immensely. Either way, despite what role you chose, just be sure to watch a video before you go into an encounter and you'll be fine. At this point in the game you're bound to be playing low level dungeons with others leveling other classes. Do not be afraid to ask your party for mechanics.

I would be very VERY surprised if you get 1000 Fates in your first month. I've been playing since May 2014 and have around 700 Fates. This is actually my final grind trophy for the plat. However, since I'm only just now starting to level another class, I haven't had as much need for Fate grinding until now. I would say going for your Relic or Anima weapon will contribute to the FATE count but there's absolutely no way you're going to be going for your Anima weapon during your first month of play, especially if you're going for the crafting/gathering trophies at the same time. Given your need to craft and gather for the plat I'd also be surprised if you got 100 raids unless you concentrated solely on it.

All this being said the only end-game raid trophy is clearing Turn 5. However, since everyone is over geared, Twintania has transformed into quite the pushover. I'll be surprised if you aren't able to obtain this easily if you know your mechanics.

You obtain 6 levequest allowances a day. They can stack until 100 and then you stop accumulating. If you want to focus on getting this plat as fast as possible I'd say start doing gathering levequests first to help you get the 1000 trophy.

DPS mistakes aren't as noticeable in dungeons because the mechanics are usually so easy (pretty much, you can make it through a HW endgame dungeon with a DPS doing like 300DPS at average, they don't make dungeons hard).

In raids/extreme mode trials on the other hand.. these require DPS to know what they are doing.  Everyone in fact has to know what to do, but I think the DPS maybe have the biggest headache when it comes to these as not only do we have to know what we have to do, we have to be doing an average of 850-1200DPS in order to meet most DPS checks (I have got wiped on Thordan Extreme at 1% with 9k health left a few times because dying in that battle past Phase 5, means you might not make it, everyone has to be perfect).

Faust is a really good example in Alexander Savage Mode, a lot of players couldn't make it past him the first week.  I did but I can tell you, my hands felt fucking broken for the rest of the fight, we barely made it through too as the first week, you had to be doing the best possible DPS for an i189 DPS I think was the highest you could been round then.

It's possible to do 1000 FATEs in a month.  I knew of someone who was new and they actually surpassed me in FATEs in the one month that they had played (I had about 1300~ FATEs).

And right now, Turn 5 is easy as there is a lot of groups giving out free runs to get bonus Poetics for the Anima weapon grind.  I also carried a friend through it with a group of 3 people, did this up until Turn 9, and then we stopped being insane.  But that's kind of just to prove how easy it is now.

Yes, Binding Coils of Bahamut Turn 5, but see above and check Party Finder on your server for anyone giving out free runs.

And yes, depending on how many hours you can spend in the game per day, you can do everything but levequests in a month.

And yea, that is the exact same thing that happens in FFXIV.. put a kill party up in PF.. you are nearly always likely to get someone who comes in on their first time to the raid/trial.  Is super annoying, I can tell straight away when one of those are in the battle. lol

Edited by DEMON