Any Pitfalls to having one PSN account connected to two PS Vita's

markcavan

Okay, so I got my daughter a PS Vita (I also have one). Setup a sub account off my main master account in the hope that games that I have on my master account would also work on the PS Vita I'm setting up for her.  They don't which is a right pain in the ar$e.  Anyhow, now as I don't want to go and purchase every game again for this second PS Vita I'm considering setting the second PS Vita for my daughter with my main PSN account.  That would mean I would have two PS Vita's connected to the same account.

So outside of shared trophies and if I ensure the second vita does not upload save files to the cloud (overwriting my ones from my PS Vita) is there any major Pitfalls in doing this ?  Will games work ? Can we play the same game at the same time (assuming its not an on-line game which would just get all messed up). Do Sony frown on doing this ?  Anyone done it and run into problems later ?

You may run into problems depending on the game. Different games allow you to download the game to a different amount of systems.

Below is the agreement from Hatoful Boyfriend

Software subject to license (us.playstation.com/softwarelicense). Online activity subject to Terms of Services and User Agreement (www.playstationnetwork.com/terms-of-service). One time license fee entitles play on up to 3 PlayStation® Vita systems activated by this account.

This game allows up to 3 vitas to use it with a single purchase.

As long as one of you plays offline (probably her,) you shouldn't run into many problems.

• Like 1

Maybe give Sony customer service a buzz? It sucks that you can't let her play your games on her own account. They might have a workaround. 

This is from the Vita's FAQ pages:

Sub Account Management

This menu item is only available when your PS Vita system is signed in using a master account that has one or more associated sub accounts. You can view and modify the usage restrictions for each sub account. You can perform these actions on a device that a parent's or guardian's master account is linked with, or on a computer.

1. While signed in to PlayStation™Network, select [PlayStation™Network] > [sub Account Management]. 2. Select the sub account whose settings you want to verify or change. Items that can be reviewed or modified
  • Chat/User-Generated Media
    The parent or guardian can set the level of chat access in PlayStation™Network. By selecting [Do Not Allow], the parent or guardian can disallow the use of the features shown below.
    • Joining in_c_party.png (Party)
    • Sending and receiving in_c_groupmsg_group.png (Messages with other players) in in_c_messages.png (Messages)
    • Joining chat sessions in games
    • Using activity features
    • Publishing information to Facebook®
  • PlayStation®Store Content Restriction
    Normally, PlayStation®Store does not display content items that are not suitable for the age of the account owner. When this item is displayed, you can disable this limitation and show all the content items by selecting the checkbox to remove the checkmark.
  • Spending Limit (Monthly)
    Use this feature to set the maximum monthly spending limit for PlayStation®Store.
  • Change Password for this Sub Account

I have emboldened the bit about content restriction. Is it possible that the games you have are considered too mature for your daughter, and this is why they do not appear on her sub account?

It sounds like you need to sign in as you, then "activate" her sub-account somehow, not sign in using the sub-account directly...?

Edited by StrickenBiged

Maybe give Sony customer service a buzz? It sucks that you can't let her play your games on her own account. They might have a workaround. 

Read online about it, basically purchases are not transferable between PSN accounts, even between master and sub.  I assumed they were but have learnt since they are not.  Ringing Sony support is always a nightmare but will give it a try just in-case.

Read online about it, basically purchases are not transferable between PSN accounts, even between master and sub.  I assumed they were but have learnt since they are not.  Ringing Sony support is always a nightmare but will give it a try just in-case.

Sounds like a telephone call to WatchDog might be in order if that's the case. Sony didn't like being called out on the whole "I was hacked, my money was stolen, and when my bank got my money back you blocked my account and all my purchases" story they ran earlier this year. 

You might be the guy that sorts out such a restrictive policy regarding master and sub-accounts, if what you say is true.

I'm sure there must be a way. Otherwise the policy is bat-shit crazy and greedy - making you buy games twice just so your kids can play them...  :angry:

It's inconsistent with the way it works on PS4 too, where only the master account needs to have bought a game then all PSN IDs signed in to that machine can play them.

Sounds like a telephone call to WatchDog might be in order if that's the case. Sony didn't like being called out on the whole "I was hacked, my money was stolen, and when my bank got my money back you blocked my account and all my purchases" story they ran earlier this year. 

You might be the guy that sorts out such a restrictive policy regarding master and sub-accounts, if what you say is true.

I'm sure there must be a way. Otherwise the policy is bat-shit crazy and greedy - making you buy games twice just so your kids can play them...  :angry:

It's inconsistent with the way it works on PS4 too, where only the master account needs to have bought a game then all PSN IDs signed in to that machine can play them.

Vita is like that unfortunately.

Since it doesn't allow more accounts, the same as on the PS3 and PS4 is not possible.

• Like 1

This is from the Vita's FAQ pages:

I have emboldened the bit about content restriction. Is it possible that the games you have are considered too mature for your daughter, and this is why they do not appear on her sub account?

It sounds like you need to sign in as you, then "activate" her sub-account somehow, not sign in using the sub-account directly...?

Thanks, this is one thread that calls out limitation :-( http://gaming.stackexchange.com/questions/198304/can-you-transfer-an-item-bought-on-one-psn-account-to-another

I understand that restriction, which makes a lot of sense. But between Master and Sub-accounts, which are designed for parents and families, it's a very unfair and restrictive policy.

I use one account on two Vitas and swap between the two, depending on the games I feel like playing. Vita content is account-locked, but that doesn't mean two Vitas can't access the same content at the same time on the same PSN account.

One way around some of the restrictions is to subscribe to PS+ on two accounts and get the free monthly games on both. That way you can play against each other. Most Vita games worth playing are either free or at some point become heavily discounted for PS+ subscribers, so it doesn't take long to make your money back.

• Like 1

I understand that restriction, which makes a lot of sense. But between Master and Sub-accounts, which are designed for parents and families, it's a very unfair and restrictive policy.

Agreed, its unfair but don't think they will change...

I use one account on two Vitas and swap between the two, depending on the games I feel like playing. Vita content is account-locked, but that doesn't mean two Vitas can't access the same content at the same time on the same PSN account.

One way around some of the restrictions is to subscribe to PS+ on two accounts and get the free monthly games on both. That way you can play against each other. Most Vita games worth playing are either free or at some point become heavily discounted for PS+ subscribers, so it doesn't take long to make your money back.

Good idea... would have to buy a second PS+ account for the sub account but probably worth it in the long run.  Something to consider considering the restrictions on PS Vita and profiles.

It's actually really disgusting that sub accounts can't play the games....
What fucking moron thought that was a good idea?

Sub accounts are for children. 
Parents are more likely to have card details on their own account and buy digital games on their own account.

And either let their children play on their account or play the games through the sub account. 

Word of warning; never buy digital on the vita if you don't have to.

It's a complete scam; always go physical on the vita. 

• 2 years later...
On 9/15/2015 at 10:37 AM, markcavan said:

Okay, so I got my daughter a PS Vita (I also have one). Setup a sub account off my main master account in the hope that games that I have on my master account would also work on the PS Vita I'm setting up for her.  They don't which is a right pain in the ar$e.  Anyhow, now as I don't want to go and purchase every game again for this second PS Vita I'm considering setting the second PS Vita for my daughter with my main PSN account.  That would mean I would have two PS Vita's connected to the same account.

So outside of shared trophies and if I ensure the second vita does not upload save files to the cloud (overwriting my ones from my PS Vita) is there any major Pitfalls in doing this ?  Will games work ? Can we play the same game at the same time (assuming its not an on-line game which would just get all messed up). Do Sony frown on doing this ?  Anyone done it and run into problems later ?

Hi. Have you figured it out ? I have one vita and I am thinking about another for my brother. Ho doesnt have PS account so i want to give him my acc with my games. So we want to use one account on 2 ps vitas.