Opinions on PS4 backward compatibility

Superbuu3

Dylan Rules  

85 members have voted

1. 1. Would you actively use the feature?

• Yes, for PS1
    • Yes, for PS2
    • Yes, for PS3
    • Not even at all

Ugh, it sucks because PS now isn't even up to par next to other streaming services right now.

If they were able to give you a quality stream at a steady 60FPS like Nvidia's Grid it wouldn't be so much of an issue.

They acquired Onlive awhile back so maybe soon it will be getting the upgrade it needs to be reliable.

Agreed, I still have my older systems if I really want to play an older game but honestly I'm more focused on new games coming out for the current gen than playing games from yesteryear...

Edited by izzyrules

Backward's compatibility would be great to be honest, if they did it for the PS2 and the earlier PS3s I really don't see its justified. Besides I am sick and tired of having to pay for every little strand nowadays and why the hell are PS4 games 1/4 of the price of the console itself? Sweet Jesus like..

Unfortunately it sounds like they have no interest and I guess its unsuprising as they are trying to push PS Now.

Their loss considering PS Now is coming to non Sony devices in the near future (apparently), as long as they don't put any PS4 or Vita games on NOW.

I don't mind at the moment. I guess I've got used to playing current gen games on their own consoles with no need to play older games - HD remasters aside, the only games I've played are my old Pro Skater discs and Crash Bandicoot.

There's a slew of PS4 games coming out that I want to play on PS4, and PS3 isn't dead yet. So I guess that Sony will hold off on this and perhaps in the future when they've stopped making games for PS3 they'll suddenly say 'oh yeah guys, by the way, here's your backwards compatibility'. Some bamf announcement that reveals that the PS4 can play all the games ever made for a PlayStation system. Complete with free external UMD drive. ;)

Backwards compatability doesn't really affect me personally that much since i have all the consoles i need to play my games, but i would still welcome it very much. I'm on board with anything that might stop the flood of PS3-ports on PS4.

• Like 2

I'll wait to see how the backward compatibility on Xbones rolls out when it hits the masses and these "hundreds" of titles are compatible. Again, it's up to the developers on whether they allow their titles to be BC. No real point in comparing something that doesn't actually exist right now.

• Like 3

Between having PS1 and some PS2 classics available for download from the store, PS Now, the ever-burgeoning amount of remasters, and the fact that PS3 is going to be existing side by side with the PS4 for quite awhile, I'm not in the least worried about not having backwards compatibility.

• Like 4

This to me is not groundbreaking enough that will cause any of the current climate in console wars to shift. For gamers such as myself who still have last gen consoles plugged in, i have no need to download an emulator, then download the game to my hard drive in order to play it. It's an annoyance. Also i would say, I'm not too impressed that on X1, you will be using the 360 dashboard. I understand it's an emulator, but I'm sure they could've figured out a way to incorporate it into X1's dashboard somehow. On the other hand, for gamers who don't have a 360, this could be beneficial, however, as I understand it, in order to play the games, you must own them. If you don't own a 360 or never have, then the likely hood of owning a 360 game are slim, unless of course you go diving into the used bins and pick some up. For me, although I have yet to try PS Now, I would still prefer that service as there are no downloads/space issues etc... to contend with. It's a valiant effort and i'm sure it will get used, I just don't know if it would ever pick up major traction.

• Like 1

@DaivRules (quote button has broken for me =w=)

Very true. It's best to wait and see what sort of BC actually comes to fruition on the Xbox One before we all jump up and down saying Sony should match this.

People also need to remember that the Xbox 360 used DVD as their medium for games, this made things much smaller and easier to manage. Sony opted and took Blu-ray forwards (something we're all thankful for right now :D)

• Like 1

Make no mistake, Sony want to push PS Now, but that is only one of the major factors, another one being it's too time consuming to do. 

As we've seen from Xbox, they had a hard time getting it to work, by emulating the 360 and completely reworking the API for each game, meaning it isn't as simple as putting the disc in. Now, the 360 and ONE have much more similar hardware in comparison to the PS3 and PS4. PS3's cell processing will be a huge issue if you wanted to emulate a game on the PS4, and it's clear that Sony want to put that cell processing nightmare behind them, not dig it back up. 

Also, PS Now isn't as bad as some of you are making it out to be. I've played about 10 games on it and all were excellent quality, and I only paid about £20. Give it a chance before you scream cash grab.

• Like 1