Game's that cleverly break the fourth wall?

PleaseHoldOn

I've been playing through Metal Gear Solid on the PS1 for the first time, and I have to admit I'm impressed with what I'm seeing/have seen from Kojima in regards to screwing with the players by breaking the fourth wall.  Whether it's...

MGS1: Psycho Mantis reading your memory card, and requiring you to change controller ports to stop him from "reading your mind", having one of the codec codes found only on the CD case the game came in (brilliant)... MGS2: Campbell going bonkers towards the end of the game, telling Raiden he's "in a game" and to shut down the console and shit...  MGS3: killing The End by adjusting the system clock and essentially waiting for him to die of old age... numerous instances of games throwing BSOD's and convincing error messages, "restarting" themselves, even as recently as P.T.

... it always throws me for a curveball to read these things.  I look forward to experiencing them as I traverse the MGS series.  Not that I'm breaking new ground here, these are all things people have known about for decades now.

I'm really just wondering what other examples there are of games cleverly breaking the fourth wall like that. :)  Kojima can't be the only one doing it.

Edited by PleaseHoldOn

I've been playing through Metal Gear Solid on the PS1 for the first time, and I have to admit I'm impressed with what I'm seeing/have seen from Kojima in regards to screwing with the players by breaking the fourth wall.  Whether it's...

MGS1: Psycho Mantis reading your memory card, and requiring you to change controller ports to stop him from "reading your mind", having one of the codec codes found only on the CD case the game came in (brilliant)... MGS2: the colonel going bonkers towards the end of the game, telling you to shut down the console and shit...  MGS3: killing The End by adjusting the system clock and essentially waiting for him to die of old age... numerous instances of games throwing BSOD's and convincing error messages, "restarting" themselves, even as recently as P.T.

... it always throws me for a curveball to read these things.  I look forward to experiencing them as I traverse the MGS series.  Not that I'm breaking new ground here, these are all things people have known about for decades now.

I'm really just wondering what other examples there are of games cleverly breaking the fourth wall like that. :)  Kojima can't be the only one doing it.

Hm.. there was a Silent Hill game on psp (i think) were you do personality tests , and than the game uses your fears more against you.   That was a good idea to "break the fourth wall"

I know I made the topic, but if you like this sort of thing, try The Stanley Parable on Steam.  The entire game (if you choose to play it this way) is going against what the game tells you to do, and one big breakdown of the fourth wall.  Just one very small example, but one achievement in the game seems simple but literally turns into just making the player do a bunch of mundane tasks and mocking the player and achievement/trophy culture the entire way.  I was amazed at just how unexpected and hilarious it was.

Edited by PleaseHoldOn
  • Like 2

Dangan ronpa 2!  I took a screenshot of every text box xD

Near the end of the game and everyone starts talking about how it's a game and then Soda starts freaking out cause he thinks he has text appearing in a box while he's talking and stuff was hilarious xD

Until dawn was amazing!

They broke the 4th wall while NOT breaking the fourth wall at the same time....

For other Kojima fourth wall breakers, look no further than Boktai. It uses real (!) sunlight as the main game mechanic, Otenko (the "teacher sidekick" to the main hero) congratulates you if you play on Sunday (because Sunday is the Sun's day, the perfect day to play Boktai!). *ugh, stupid sunflower, he dared to lecture me for avoiding the Sun as much as possible*

Also I must mention Baten Kaitos duology, which is outright makes you (not your avatar, YOU) a member of a party. A very vital member, might I add. The fourth wall there isn't just broken, it doesn't exist.

Deadpool has a game about making a game about Deadpool. Everytime he 'beats' the game, he asks for credits to be rolled. I LMAO everytime I watch it.

this link should take you to the part I'm talking about.  I don't know how to embed AND take it to a specific part of the video at the same time, so for the sake of spoilers and time watching minutes of useless video, click the link.

Edited by TheYuriG

I know I made the topic, but if you like this sort of thing, try The Stanley Parable on Steam.  The entire game (if you choose to play it this way) is going against what the game tells you to do, and one big breakdown of the fourth wall.  Just one very small example, but one achievement in the game seems simple but literally turns into just making the player do a bunch of mundane tasks and mocking the player and achievement/trophy culture the entire way.  I was amazed at just how unexpected and hilarious it was.

I've heard a lot about that game, I might give it a try sometime.

• Like 1

Tearaway in a way does. It was fun playing the Vita version when you were using the back touchpad, "your" finger would pop on the screen to pierce the ground and move objects around. Also the camera is used in real time very often. Really made the player feel like they were part of the world. 

• Like 2