Game's that cleverly break the fourth wall?

PleaseHoldOn

I can't believe nobody's mentioned Assassin's Creed IV, Unity or Rogue. If you walk around Abstergo Entertainment you can find awesome references to other Ubisoft games and the previous AC games. One of the characters even blatantly mentions the "Liberation program" and AC3. There's posters, title cards, magazines and even statues just lying around Abstergo!

Edited by AnimeDreama

Killer is Dead breaks the 4th wall every time Mondo and David talk to each other.

Whenever they meet Mondo talks about how they have to fight because David is the final boss and how you the player would get mad if you couldn't didn't fight the final boss in a action game.

Edited by soultaker655

I've heard a lot about that game, I might give it a try sometime.

If you can, try and find it on sale.  It's an amazing game IMO, for what it is.  But it's honestly probably 3-4 hours of content total, and that really depends how much you "get it" and how hard you try and find every last little secret they hide in it.

P.T. kinda does, I guess. The error screens kind of acknowledge that it's a game.

It does for sure, and was creepy as hell when it first happened to me. xD

If you think MGS1 is great at breaking the 4th wall, MGS2 will blow your mind to hell and back.

MGS2 was the only MGS title I played back in the day.  It was so many years ago I'm not sure I remember a lot of it anymore though.

Edited by PleaseHoldOn
  • Like 2

Deadpool the game.

It litterly starts with deadpopl making a comment when the first trophy "first ones free" pops

Then the second one popes up "second one is free too" which he responds with "and there's another one.

The whole game is basically deadpopl staring in his own game

• Like 1

Well, the only one I can remember (that hasn't already been mentioned) was on Rogue Galaxy for the PS2. If you stood still for long enough, the characters in your party would start saying things or waving their hand in front of your character's face.

But there was one specific phrase that would be 4th wall breaking. If you had the character Kisala on your team, and you had been exploring for a long time, she would say "So, uh, you should probably save soon". The only reason I remember that is because I heard it a lot. Running around killing low level enemies for hours to farm for materials, and rarely saving during the farming.

Tearaway in a way does. It was fun playing the Vita version when you were using the back touchpad, "your" finger would pop on the screen to pierce the ground and move objects around. Also the camera is used in real time very often. Really made the player feel like they were part of the world. 

Ugh, the sun - an unexpected window into how gormless you look when you're concentrating on a game..!

• Like 2

The Disgaea series

It's done multiple times in each game, most characters are aware that they have stats and levels. And Asagi is sick of being a cameo character.

No More Heroes

Right before the final ranking boss fight, the game fast forwards through some of the dialog because they thought it would send up the age rating, also at the end Henry tells Travis that he should have figured out the plot twist because he's the protagonist. The second game is even more extreme.

Spec Ops: The Line

The loading screens

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

As countless others have mentioned, Deadpool.

Super Meat Boy, unexpectedly, though people really should only figure out why I'm mentioning this game while they're playing it themselves.

Life Goes On (bought it a few days ago but haven't played it yet) takes the fourth wall and smashes it to pieces; if you die in this game your body will remain and you actually have to use this to solve puzzles.

Someone mentioned Deadpool in the LEGO Marvel Super Heroes game but GLaDOS in LEGO Dimensions had a great moment as well, summoning a lot of studs since it seemed that those were what the player characters were interested in.

The secret ending of INSIDE was meta in a very weird way...

Watch_Dogs 2 has some stuff about the protagonist hackers being angry at a movie studio for creating a franchise with very inacurate hacking. Might not have been intended as a fourth wall break but I laughed a lot at the apparent hypocrisy.

The Deadly Tower Of Monsters acts like it is a movie... With a director's commentary. Towards the end of the game, the fourth wall starts to get even weirder.

Tearaway and Tearaway Unfolded have very fourth wall breaking gameplay.

The Playroom VR. Basically, the fourth wall is not even there any more (which is kind of easy to do with this VR medium).

Not sure if anyone has mentioned ICEY. The narrator constantly breaks the 4th wall throughout the 4 or so hours.

He breaks the 4th wall really bad at one point by talking directly to you by making fun of you and that fact that you're a trophy hunter.