Post Your NYMHC Failures

simula67

23 hours ago, iliya0212 said:

I honestly would not recommend using melee after chapter 2, too high risk, not worth it in my opinion. I had to restart a lot of runs because of silly mistakes while going for melee kills in chapters 1&2, didn't include it in my failures list because it was like 5-15 minutes each, so don't consider them as actual attempts.

As for guide, I don't have something concrete, but I would suggest having at least 10 minutes after finishing chapter 10, because you definitely want to take it slow from there. On my successful run I had 15 minutes there and finished with 8 minutes on the clock while taking it slow and steady.

Here are my time stamps as of the end of each chapter and some tips that helped me, but again I did finish with 8 minutes to spare so you could probably take it slower.

Chapter 1: 02:00 - You can try to rush it if you want, go for melee kills and what not, worst case scenario restart, it takes only 3-4 minutes anyway.

Chapter 2: 04:00

Chapter 3: 05:30 - Have a couple tricky sections, lost a couple runs there. When Passos tells you to wait before going to the first sniper you can actually wait and not risk it and the guys will go away. Its safe but you lose around 20 seconds as opposed to killing them.

Chapter 4 Part 1: 08:00 - Try to kill them quickly by blowing up the cars, huge time boost.

Chapter 4 Part 2: 09:00 - Shoot the yellow gas tank in the garage, it kills most of the guys and gives you big time bonus.

Chapter 5 Part 1: 10:00 - There are some tricky parts in the docks, you can go a bit slower there, learn enemy positions and when the boats show up, save bullet time for them!

Chapter 2 Part 2: 10:30 - When you need to shoot the vehicles from the boat try to shoot only the driver. The cars will explode giving you 5 seconds per kill and not 2. Not huge, but still helps.

Chapter 6 Part 1:  11:00 - Be careful in the third room where you get ambushed, very dangerous section, practice it and try to do it as safe as possible.

Chapter 6 Part 2: 10:00 - Actually lost time there, but also go slow, you can die very easily there, always use bullet time there.

Chapter 7: 09:00 -  Lost time there as well, although the section is not that bad in my opinion, just need to know enemy positions and know how to avoid the bugs (glitchy section). Also find a good way to avoid getting hit by Molotov in the end. I found that using bullet time and immediately running to the stairs on the left worked very well for me, never failed there since.

Chapter 8: 10:00 - Use GL to kill a bunch of guys in the next section after picking it up but I would discard it after, too dangerous to get caught in LMS with it. Also, practice the sniper section before, it's not hard but you need muscle memory.

Chapter 9: 10:00 - I find this section to be pretty easy, but would recommend doing the QTE part in the end a couple of times because it is surprisingly easy to mess them up if you press prompts too early or get them wrong. If you miss any of them it's insta-fail.

Chapter 10: 14:30 - The second part in the gas station (I think) was the trickiest for me because they come from both directions and you can't really take cover because they throw grenades. What worked for me is going right, killing the sniper immediately and then rush them with bullet time. In the bus section just be on the lookout for the RPG guy and in the last section be very careful and watch your health. Use blind fire to explode the cars, that will give you huge time bonus and kill a lot of them, but beware when cars are burning its hard to see the enemies behind them, that's why you have to avoid LMS at all costs!

Chapter 11: 15:00 - Start taking it slower from there. The hardest part for me was on the deck where there are guys shooting you from the canal. Take your time, shoot the guys on the canal first before going out, after that go up and back down because 3 more guys will spawn outside, kill them and then go up to kill the rest of them.

Chapter 12: 13:00 - Slow and steady as well! After sniping section go through the yellow door, 4 guys will spawn, kill 3 of them and immediately go back and kill 3 guys in the stairs, other wise you will be shot in the back by 3 guys spawning behind you!

Chapter 13: 10:30 - Slow as well, I used LAW to kill most of the cops in the parking lot, you can check it in my video, hightly recommend doing that, makes this section a lot easier. After that I picked up the GL and used it on the guys as they leave the elevator - highly recommend doing that but be careful with GL I lost 1 run because of it!

Chapter 14: 08:00 - Be as safe as possible, shoot every one from as far away as you can, especially in the terminal room. Practice last boss fight a couple of times!!!

Good luck man! You can make, just don't give up!

Thank you so much! This will be very useful.

• Like 1

This was really bad for me, took me around 10 attempts.  I only had two legit deaths though, the rest were either from glitches or lack of knowledge.

- Chapter 2: Guy runs over and executes girl at the start of the heli sequence if you're too slow. Only chapter 2, no big deal.

- Chapter 5: Accidentally shooting the girl on the boat - this is an easy mistake to make, to avoid this only aim at the guys further away from her, you only need to kill 4 or 5 to pass this event.

- Chapter 6 - A grenade exploded near the afro guy, very cheap since I made sure to run away from his position to avoid exactly this...

- Chapter 6 - A glitch. In part two the last enemy sometimes doesn't die even after you get the slow motion kill cam on him.

- Chapter 8 - 2 fails due to the sniper glitch.  I think you can avoid this by not skipping the cutscene beforehand.

- Chapter 8 - 1 more fail on the sniper due to lack of understanding.  The sniper is invincible unless he is aiming at Passos, you can approach him even if he's not distracted, but if you do he's just an amorphous blob of pixels which can't be killed, and if you stay in the open you'll get a cutscene of Max being shot...

- Chapter 8 - 2 Legit deaths, this was the problem chapter for me, I only had to pass it 3 times to complete the run.

- Chapter 9 - Helicopter glitch, no idea how to avoid this other than praying.

- Chapter 13 - the roof snipers didn't all emerge as usual, one stayed hidden.  I didn't realise that there's no LMS if you get shot by these guys, it's an instant game over.

All this said, I got pretty lucky on my successful run against the armoured guy at the end of chaper 12 who downed me 6 or 7 times in a row - I had enough painkillers - and on the last boss who hit me with a grenade but didn't kill me.  I also never got the glitch in chapter 13, so maybe the luck evens out in the long run...

Edited by WakeUpHP
  • Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Notagot said:

Here's my failures. Took me 28 attempts. Made sure to document everything for this. This is the hardest trophy I've ever achieved (imo)

·         Chapter 4 – Passos got shot in bar downstairs

·         Chapter 3 – Game glitched, not triggering cutscene after second bleachers section. Could be because I left the game paused for a day? From now on, only pausing at ends of chapters.

·         Chapter 8 – Just after grenadier enemy. Went into FFYL and couldn’t aim at person who shot me.

·         Chapter 11 – Just after last outside section on boat, after second automatic door. Enemy shot half my health bar before I could get to the painkillers.

·         Chapter 2 – After getting off the helicopter, I tried to pick up a gun. Max rolled off the helipad.

·         Chapter 10 – Sniper at the start. They have literally never even landed a shot on me and for some reason they landed two in quick succession. No FFYL. No nothing.

·         Chapter 5-1 – Apparently in the room where you head upstairs, the enemies can shoot grenades at you. News to me. I attempted to shootdodge to evade and Max got stuck.

·         Chapter 6-1 – B__h hid behind desk during FFYL.

·         Chapter 4-2 – Where you have to shoot 6 guys in bullet cam. I assumed I shot the last one since I saw the seconds added popup. I was wrong.

·         Chapter 9 – Game froze. Super cool of it to do that.

·         Chapter 8 – The guy at the bottom of the cemetery is Passos. I just saw movement and shot.

·         Chapter 6-2 – Guys at the start of chapter got more courageous.

·         Chapter 9 – Bullets didn’t collide with heli missile despite colliding with heli missile. Absolutely livid.

·         Chapter 8 – Tried switching weapons to grenade launcher to kill group. Max dropped the weapon instead. The most useless sidekick in gaming dies again.

Took a break for several months and came back

·         Chapter 2 – Missed guy at end of catwalk as sniper

·         Chapter 9 – Pressed R2 at QTE instead of L2. *facepalm*

·         Chapter 13 – Heavy armor guy gunned me down. Game really f__ked me on that one. I cried hard.

·         Chapter 10 – Ok game. So I’m in the fight around the bus, down to last guy. Dude throws a grenade, I kill him triggering the cutscene. Giovanna comes down stairs and grenade explodes during cutscene presumably killing either her or me. Not sure which but there goes a couple hours of progress I guess.

·         Chapter 12 – Machine gunner at end. Was facing directly at them, went into FFYL but for some reason Max snapped to face the opposite direction and couldn’t swing his arm at them fast enough. People still defend this game.

·         Chapter 12 – Rocking rooftop again. Went into FFYL at start, rooftop rocked, Max flipped, controller thrown. This concludes the 20th attempt.

·         Chapter 8 – Paused game at start of chapter. Unpaused and game glitched to stop registering inputs. Enemies freely shooting at Max but Max isn’t dying and I can’t control anything. Manually quit.

·         Chapter 14 – This should have been the run. Made it most of the way through the final hangar fight. Random grenade came out of nowhere, I shootdodged away but it still killed me. Definite sad girl moment. Strong contender for saddest I’ve ever felt playing a game. Literally months of runs at this point.

·         Chapter 13 – Game froze just before heavily armored guy showed up. I just want this to be over. Holy s__t I deserve this trophy.

·         Chapter 6-1 – 4th cubicle fight fml

·         Chapter 13 – Guys with laser guns coming out elevator. Smoke blocked view during FFYL. It hurts every single f__king time getting a run this far then failing at some bs like that. Unbelievable.

·         Chapter 13 – Boss at end drained my health in like 0.2 sec and no FFYL apparently. Worth noting this chapter is 100% consistent in practice runs and I’ve never died at that spot. I don’t know what the game wants from me but I’m just gonna drink myself to sleep.

·         Chapter 11 – Game glitched. Bad game. (Side note: this happened to me again on the next run. Turns out if you kill the people in the engine room too fast, the last one gets stuck behind an invisible wall in a way where they have line of sight on you but not you on them. Need to wait a few seconds to lure them out. There is no FFYL on this enemy).

·         And on the 28th attempt, ur girl did it.

Total runs: 28

Runs past chapter twelve: 6

Congratulations! It definitely is an annoying trophy, not because it's super difficult, but because the game freezes and some sections are really cheap. At least now you can rest easy knowing this nightmare is over. :)

5 hours ago, z99f said:

Congratulations! It definitely is an annoying trophy, not because it's super difficult, but because the game freezes and some sections are really cheap. At least now you can rest easy knowing this nightmare is over. :)

AHHHH thank you!

did it on my 3rd try but i'm playing with xim apex. couldnt do it with just the controller.
had 2 glitches on the first 2 tries, even after downloading the digital version cause i thought the may couldve come due to the old discdrive my ps3 has.
so on my third try i just didn't skipped any cutscene which prevented gamebreaking glitches, but i still had some smaller ones. so maybe its that or i just had luck!

good luck to everyone who is trying this, it was very eeasy with mouse and keyboard, so maybe some of you should give it a try!

• 1 month later...

late to the party but I'll post anyway :)

1. ran out of time in chapter 3

2. missed enemy during sniper section in chapter 2. Giovanna got killed

3. accidentally shot Giovanna in sniper section chapter 2

4. last man stand and couldn't find the enemy in chapter 8

5. accidentally shot Fabiana in the boat in chapter 5

6. ran out of painkillers in the office shootout in chapter 6 and got killed

7. ran out of ammo in chapter 3 and got killed

8. killed by sniper in chapter 8

9. missed driver during jeep QTE in chapter 6. Got ran over

10. ran out of ammo in chapter 3 and got killed

11. ran out of ammo in chapter 13 and got killed

12. ran out of ammo in chapter 3 and got killed

13. ran out of ammo in chapter 3 and got killed 

14. ran out of ammo in chapter 3 and got killed

15. fell off pier after zip line in chapter 11

16. got killed in chapter 5 (was having an off game since the start)

17. last man stand couldn't find the enemy in chapter 13

18. SUCCESS!

looking back.. chapters 3, 8 and 13 gave me the most trouble. as soon as I passed 13 it was smooth sailing.. even tho I only had roughly 37 seconds left by the time I got to the last hanger boss fight lol

• Like 2

Updating 

giphy-downsized-large.gif

2: I used to be a hero like you, until Geo got a bullet to the knee

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

5: In this story the bad guys are the ones who sail off into the distance

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

7: took two steps backwards to avoid collateral from the granade launcher i was using, a never-before-seen scene of Passos getting shot in the back auto-plays; cemetary.

8 and 9:

10 (chapter 9 door locked me out), 11 (unresponsive cursor; chapter 2) and 12 ( ps3 froze; chapter 13).

Edited by Seamndel
  • Like 3

13 minutes ago, Seamndel said:

Updating 

Holy shit, it must be extremely frustrating to die in this chapter. there are very few things that can kill you in this chapter.

6 hours ago, Seamndel said:

Updating 

I'd completely forgotten that this happened to me too.  As can be seen here, Max shield his eyes before you get control of him, and if you're not holding left as you gain back control, the roof collapses very quickly.  Frustrating!

6 hours ago, kevao97 said:

Holy shit, it must be extremely frustrating to die in this chapter. there are very few things that can kill you in this chapter.

Well to die like that is very frustrating, but at least you'll only make this but this mistake once.  Personally though I found the encounter with the first two enemies of this chapter to be one of the more worrying moments of the game - sometimes they just refuse to expose themselves, and if you stand still to wait for them you automatically lose health from the heat. To add to this if you walk towards them and use bullet time, sometimes Max goes into that animation where he shields himself from the heat, making it hard to aim properly. 

There's also a glitch in this chapter where the final enemy doesn't die, even after you see the slo-mo kill cam.

Edited by WakeUpHP

3 minutes ago, WakeUpHP said:

I'd completely forgotten that this happened to me too.  As can be seen here, Max shield his eyes before you get control of him, and if you're not holding left as you gain back control, the roof collapses very quickly.  Very frustrating.

Well to die like that is very frustrating, but at least you'll only make this but this mistake once.  Personally though I found the encounter with the first two enemies of this chapter to be one of the more worrying moments of the game - sometimes they just refuse to expose themselves, and if you stand still to wait for them you automatically lose health from the heat. To add to this if you walk towards them and use bullet time, sometimes Max goes into that animation where he shields himself from the heat, making it hard to aim properly. 

There's also a glitch in this chapter where the final enemy doesn't die, even after you see the slo-mo kill cam.

I've read countless reports in this thread, and apparently there are a lot of glitches in pretty much every chapter, I've seen some but didn't realize there were so many. reading online I also saw that most of them can be avoided by playing offline.

3 hours ago, kevao97 said:

I've read countless reports in this thread, and apparently there are a lot of glitches in pretty much every chapter, I've seen some but didn't realize there were so many. reading online I also saw that most of them can be avoided by playing offline.

Can confirm, played offline with golden guns and had almost no issues, except enemies no spawning in chapter 7 once or twice, but it's solvable by pausing the game for 30 seconds.

#1 - Chapter 2. Accidentally shot Giovanna at the start of the helicopter sequence.
#2 - Chapter 8. Passos got himself killed running away from the enemies at the van.
#3 - Chapter 6. Killed by the burned enemy sitting on the floor in part 2.
#4 - Chapter 5. Accidentally shot Fabiana while diving off the boat at the end of part 2.
#5 - Chapter 8. Refer to #2.

I hate Passos.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Hipster said:

#1 - Chapter 2. Accidentally shot Giovanna at the start of the helicopter sequence.
#2 - Chapter 8. Passos got himself killed running away from the enemies at the van.
#4 - Chapter 5. Accidentally shot Fabiana while diving off the boat at the end of part 2.

I hate Passos.

Yikes, I lost 4 out 8 runs to either killing Passos or him getting killed... I can relate. Good luck though you can do it :)

4 hours ago, Hipster said:

I hate Passos.

1 hour ago, iliya0212 said:

Yikes, I lost 4 out 8 runs to either killing Passos or him getting killed... I can relate. Good luck though you can do it :)

Passos are a fucking stupid, i've killed him so many times lol...

-"This is Sampa, bro"

10 hours ago, WakeUpHP said:

Well to die like that is very frustrating, but at least you'll only make this but this mistake once.  Personally though I found the encounter with the first two enemies of this chapter to be one of the more worrying moments of the game - sometimes they just refuse to expose themselves, and if you stand still to wait for them you automatically lose health from the heat.

You lose health from the heat?

I just keep learning new things about this game.

I'm not looking forward to attempting NYMHC once I get NYM done. The partner AI in the game is so stupid and Passos is completely useless. He is more annoying than Zeke from Infamous and Roman from GTAIV combined except he looks like a bass player for a metal band.

I half way expected Passos to be one of the villains from the way the game was setting everything up.

21 minutes ago, POEman553 said:

I'm not looking forward to attempting NYMHC once I get NYM done. The partner AI in the game is so stupid and Passos is completely useless. He is more annoying than Zeke from Infamous and Roman from GTAIV combined except he looks like a bass player for a metal band.

I half way expected Passos to be one of the villains from the way the game was setting everything up.

NYM can be brutal in some sections, some chapters are easier in HC because you don't have such time pressure.

I like Passos, it's just that this mode specifically turns everything into a goddamn chaos and nervousness, so you can't trust the AI.

I remember one time Amanda was killed because it took me 1 or 2 seconds to save her.

i miss the excitement of playing this game for days until i hit a successful run, i often thought about getting platinum again on another alternative account but the multiplayer grind always kept me away from the idea. i just can't feel the same trying mein leben in wolfestein 2, i can only get one or two tries and then go on a hiatus of weeks before trying again

On 6/24/2021 at 2:01 PM, Seamndel said:

giphy.gif

that's bullshit the explosion killed you from there

PS: love the way u edited your video clips

19 hours ago, iliya0212 said:

Can confirm, played offline with golden guns and had almost no issues, except enemies no spawning in chapter 7 once or twice, but it's solvable by pausing the game for 30 seconds.

hello my friend :)

this was my exact experience as well

• Like 1

I played this years ago.  Forget exactly when.  I would have to look at the game's trophy dates on my profile.  I have way too many failed attempts way back when to count.  I would say in the ballpark of 60 more or less.  Furthest I got if I remember right is....chapter 9?  The bus depot if I remember correctly.  Not 100% positive.  Anyway, I loved the game!  It's easily one of the best games I ever played.  I had no problems and experienced no game-breaking glitches through all the playthroughs on my way to the platinum until I got to NYM mode.  It was then that I experienced some.  But NYMHC mode?!  It was as if the floodgates were opened on all the possible game-breaking or rather game-ending glitches and freezes that could possibly occur and did.  Sure.  I died plenty of times due to my own errors, but when you add to that all the freezes and glitches that wouldn't let you progress and ended your game....at some point you have to know when to fold 'em.  Although I will never platinum Max Payne 3, it still stands as one of my favorite games and is one of the best games I have ever played.  I have no regrets with playing it and adding it to my trophy list.  I'm proud of what I was willing and able to accomplish with the game when I played it and I still love it for that. 

• Like 1

I'd like to say thank you to everyone who has posted in this thread, each and every one of your post was helpful, be it for good strats to use, mistakes to avoid, tips against freezes and such, all these knowledge definitely helped me get through this with as little trouble as possible.

Finished NYMHC yesterday, took me 2 runs.

First one I reached chapter 7, and sadly the game glitched on me (I was playing online at that time). More info in the lengthy spoiler.

Spoiler

After the first part, once you go down the ledge and through the fence, the guy coming from the door didn't spawn, so I knew I was probably fucked.

Kept on going anyway, not much enemies spawning and once I reached the indoor area where you're pulled by a chain, there was no textures loaded, and the cutscene didn't trigger (I opened the door and went inside the building without it starting). So I paused the game, let the textures load correctly, and went back through the door, at which point the cutscene did start.
After killing everyone during the pulley sequence I kept on going as normal, but once inside the room where there's supposed to be an ammo bag and enemies spawning on the other side, well, there wasn't anything. Lost 3 minutes going around, trying different stuff, and then I resigned, I knew I was fucked so I went back to the very top  of the sequence and shootdodged my way back to the bottom of the building, thinking that would be the end of it. Strangely enough, the game didn't kill me, almost though, so I took a painkiller and went the way you're supposed to to continue, with no enemies anywhere of course.

Got back outside of the building, no textures again, so I paused the game which did the trick again and went for the double door, cutscene started so I had some hope to somehow salvage this run. Cutscene ends and I can't move anymore, let the game idle for a minute at which point I regained control, so I kept going as usual.
Reached the placed with the guy with the flare gun and the one going up the stairs, killed neither, and on the next part there was only one enemy, so I said to myself "surely I'm fucked", but no, I still managed to continue.

Fast forward to the end of the chapter, with the molotov guy and everything, first batch of guys was there, but the following ones weren't so I just ran through it, dropped down the ledge, and surely enough there wasn't even the RPG guy, so I went to the end of the level. At this point the game pulled me back to the ledge sequence with the RPG who had finally spawn, destroyed the rocket and ran through the end I already did earlier.

End of chapter, I was thinking I had somehow avoided this run ending because of a glitch, so I press X to load chapter 8.
5 minutes later, still loading. 10 minutes later the game somehow managed to load chapter 8, I was thinking the glitch was behind me, surely enough the game had reset everything that was having issue because of chapter 7.

So i go through the first part of chapter 8, and then comes the cutscene where you have to shoot the van driver, except there wasn't any van to be seen.
Pretty much knew I was fucked, but I shot randomly to where I thought the driver would be if he was invisible or something. Didn't do the trick, the game reoladed the cutscene, with the van this time, and I had no control over the fact that I was gonna be run over.

I seriously thought, for a short time, that the glitch was behind me ^^
I also had a weird thing on that run, on chapter 6-2, after killing the very last enemy and getting the kill cam, turned out he wasn't really dead and he almost got me. I think that was a sign of what was to come.

Did my second run offline after what happened with chapter 7, and I somehow clutched it even though chapter 13 was out to get me (more info about the run in the spoiler).

Spoiler

Run went pretty smoothly, had a close call in chapter 10, in the section after killing the first 2 snipers, with a bus in a middle.
I kept getting shot by someone I couldn't see, who was shooting me from behind the bus, used 3 painkillers because of that. Was left with 1 painkiller after this sequence so I focused hard for the rest of the chapter and it went alright.

Then came chapter 13. That was a shitshow.
Got flanked in the room before the APC, ended up using 3 painkillers because I wasn't careful enough, but that was my fault so no worries.

Got out of the room, APC time, waited for it to stop shooting, went for the left RPG as I usually do, waited again for it to stop shooting, aimed down sight, and fired. Except the game was having none of that, and I couldn't fire the RPG.
So I cycled through another APC set of shots, tried again, surely enough I couldn't fire again.
So I took back my SMG (to drop the RPG), then took back the RPG, at which point the APC started firing again, and even though I was behind cover I got shot and somehow made it through with like 30% of health left!

Still, the RPG wouldn't fire... Went for the right one, and, of course, it wouldn't fire either. Thought I was shit out of luck, but then I remembered someone having the same issue, and saying he managed to fire the RPG after switching to his pistol and then back to the RPG, and this time it worked!
So after that I went back to grab the left RPG to shoot the guys coming in, which obviously didn't fire, again! At that point I lost my cool cause I never killed those guys other than with the RPG. I wasn't even sure if those cars could explode or not, so I took my SMG and ran back to the very first cover, got destroyed on my way there, used my last painkiller, cried a little.

Thankfully my aim was on point and I managed to kill every one of those guys without losing more than 40% of my health.
Obviously I wanted to go through the next section carefully, but I completely botched my shots on the next 3 guys, which thankfully didn't manage to kill me, reached the locker room, and finally had some painkillers back.
The rest of the chapter somehow went smoothly. Still, I had 20 minutes left at the beginning of the chapter, ended at 13 minutes ^^

• Like 2