Post Your NYMHC Failures

simula67

I've been hearing a lot about that freeze in Chapter 13. I have the digital version of the game since I wasn't willing to wait a few days for a physical copy to arrive. Am I supposed to use my handguns as opposed to rifles and shotguns? People have said their game froze when they were in that part using a rifle.

16 hours ago, AJ_Radio said:

I've been hearing a lot about that freeze in Chapter 13. I have the digital version of the game since I wasn't willing to wait a few days for a physical copy to arrive. Am I supposed to use my handguns as opposed to rifles and shotguns? People have said their game froze when they were in that part using a rifle.

It froze for me once in that area, basically don't go to the left. As soon as you enter the main room go into bullet time and take out the middle enemy, the one to your left, then aim inside the office on the far left towards the end to take him out, should be crouched, then camp to the right and just pick the enemies off. That room gave me a load of trouble on my standard runs, plenty practice for NYMHC made Ch13 extremely easy.

Hardest ones were Ch6, Ch10 and Ch14. The final area is brutal if you die to one of Becker's grenade's, or one of the enemies throwing them at you. At that point just make sure you shootdodge, during the animation you're invincible, timed right you can avoid one that would otherwise kill you. It's a last resort, but there's always one sneaky grenade that comes out of nowhere.

Edited by BluesFanUK

3 hours ago, BluesFanUK said:

It froze for me once in that area, basically don't go to the left. As soon as you enter the main room go into bullet time and take out the middle enemy, the one to your left, then aim inside the office on the far left towards the end to take him out, should be crouched, then camp to the right and just pick the enemies off. That room gave me a load of trouble on my standard runs, plenty practice for NYMHC made Ch13 extremely easy.

Hardest ones were Ch6, Ch10 and Ch14. The final area is brutal if you die to one of Becker's grenade's, or one of the enemies throwing them at you. At that point just make sure you shootdodge, during the animation you're invincible, timed right you can avoid one that would otherwise kill you. It's a last resort, but there's always one sneaky grenade that comes out of nowhere.

Thanks for the tips. Sergen suggested you wait a minute before you enter into that room on Chapter 13. Seems to be problems when the LMG guy spawns.

50 minutes ago, AJ_Radio said:

Thanks for the tips. Sergen suggested you wait a minute before you enter into that room on Chapter 13. Seems to be problems when the LMG guy spawns.

At this point it's all speculation but I agree with this as well. I'm sure this isn't the case for everyone, but I swear that was the reason I made it through this section on my successful attempt. I paused the game for a solid 2 minutes before I entered. Might be worth a shot when you get there. 

10 hours ago, AJ_Radio said:

Maybe, and ignore what i said, last night during my Old School run it did the same even on the right. In all honestly it just seems to be random, pausing the game is always a good idea, especially if you start seeing textures popping in.

I've done numerous runs and that part never gave me an issue up until this week, then i had 1 freeze during a NYMHC run and another in my OS run, two in the space of a couple days. It's a very buggy game overall, glad I've finally got it done!

• Like 2

Little Update: Did 2 Runs today

Attempt 3: died on chapter 4 part 2 on the laser floor

attempt 4: died on chapter 5 bc i killed someone and he throwed a grenade beforehand, which killed me :<

I will try a run later on maybe. Still this mode is not that bad, just has it's flaws

Attempt #3 - Accidently shot Fabiana in Chapter 5

Attempt #4 - Died in Chapter 10 - Had a really bad fight at the 2nd encounter and used a lot of painkillers (Too aggressive on my part) - Didn't have enough to survive the ambush in the big area in the bus depo

Attempt #5 - Nice run - Got stuck in infinite bullet cam on Chapter 8, don't think I've seen this one before

jq8oCDJ.jpg

Don't think this difficulty is that hard just gotta keep at it

Edited by Robot__Genius

I had the Chapter 13 LMG freeze once through many attempts and that was the point I nearly gave up. I found taking that whole section very slow worked well to avoid the freeze. Literally just take three times as long to clear that room than you would normally (this is playing, not pausing), and I recommend to move and navigate around the room (safely) while only one enemy is left as this may help with the loading and prevent the freeze.

Finally done! Pretty damn nerve racking as hell knowing any point all of your progress can be all for nothing. So glad never experience any sort of glitches or freezes on my run other than the occasion game audio disappear during the cut scene. Had the digital game with golden guns on.

Run #1: Chapter 2 - Not sure what happened, kept shooting at the RPG when Max was hanging down the chopper and the thing didn't explode even my crosshair was right on the red dot.

Run #2: Chapter 5 - Got Naded right before the boat area

Run #3: Chapter 3 -  Got destroyed by the first set of bleachers. When into last stand mode, enemy was behind some stupid metal railings/ran out of ammo/couldn't get a good aim at him

Run #4: Chapter 10 - Got Naded on the bus depot

Run #5: Chapter 10 - Got Naded again! Right after the area where Max swings on the chain down

Run #6: Done

Tips:

Last chapter - Get two auto fire 9mm pistol. This is absolutely cheese when during the Becker fight if you dual wield them because it shreds all of the jeeps/police car and all enemies. Do NOT keep your eyes off of Becker as he will get at least 3-5 nades out during the fight. As soon as nades were up in the air, used bullet time to blow it up. All it takes it one nade and it's gameover.

I got absolutely destroyed by nades on chapter 5 and 10 because I kept playing safe and went using cover instead of going balls deep into the enemy face. Played more aggressively was the adjustment I made. So enemies couldn't get their nades off and I have more mobility to avoid them..better to waste a few painkillers then start back from the beginning. 

Edited by U_mad_bro7778
  • Like 1

I had 3 failed attempts and completed it on my 4th attempt.

snRcxfM.jpg

Attempt 1: I found out the hard way that the knock off controller I've been using has an extremely sensitive R2. In the beginning of Chapter 8 after going up the spiral stairs and clearing the graveyard just past them, the short cutscene there ended and Passos was immediately and unwillingly shot in the head by me. Worst of the worst luck, but it was such a freak thing I was laughing about it by the time I started my 2nd attempt.

Attempt 2: A failure that actually was on me. The section in Chapter 11 where you come up to the top level of the boat and have to fight a bunch of guys up the stairs as well as guys on the shore to the right can be rough, and I just hadn't practiced it enough beforehand. I ran super low on painkillers and got killed in the following section where you're clearing enemies on the tower ahead of you and moving up with Passos.

Attempt 3: Another wtf moment. Made it to the QTE at the end of Chapter 9, hit the L2 and R2 prompts, then somehow failed on the Triangle prompt even though I pressed it. Maybe my sensitive R2 was the culprit again?

Fortunately I just finished it with my 4th attempt, and thankfully I never had any crashes or infinite loading screens that killed my run. For anyone who's still looking to complete this mode, here are some of my pieces of advice:

1) I played the game on disc. The digital version seems to have a lot more problems with crashing for some reason.

2) I turned off Golden Guns. I read in another trophy guide that doing this takes a little stress off the game, so maybe this was a factor that helped me avoid crashes. Honestly, I barely even noticed a difference playing without Golden Guns (you are going for headshots 99% of the time anyway), so don't be worried that you'd be making the game more difficult on yourself by turning them off; if there's a chance it can reduce crashing, it's worth it.

3) The infamous Chapter 13 crash seems to be when you shoot the last guy in that office before the heavy armored guy with the LMG comes out. A friend told me to try either killing that last guy with a melee attack or killing him while in last stand, so I did this and made it past this section without any issue (although I wasted several painkillers trying to melee him and fighting off the  heavy armored guy, which made the rest of the mission a bit stressful).

4) Take a break in between attempts. While this game is a lot of fun and it's fortunately not that long, it's still really draining failing in the second half of the game and having to start over. My plan was to attempt NYMHC once per day--one good attempt, that is--so I wouldn't absolutely hate playing through the early chapters because of an earlier failure. It pretty much worked for me, and the early chapters didn't bother me at all in my later attempts. Most of them are pretty short anyway.

5) Follow this guide and pick up every possible painkiller during your run, and use them manually to avoid going into last stand since it's often really risky. I was really anxious about the possibility of dying during the final "boss" encounter in Chapter 14, but I went into the fight with 9 painkillers stocked so I was comfy.

6) The standard that you've probably read already: rush the game's early chapters (especially 1-6) to build up time so you can take it slow during the later chapters (especially 11, 13, and 14). Use Uzis and pistols as much as possible, but hold onto rifles and SMGs since they can still get you out of a jam. Try to avoid shotguns.

Good luck!

Edited by UnhallowedBlood
formatting
  • Like 3

1° TRY

My game froze in the chapter 13 LMG 

I take my time go to the right kill the 2 middle guys and the left one and then kill the 2 on the right then I shoot the last one my game FROZE!  Any solutions? Please MY GOLD GUNS- off 

I dont have any problems with other chapters one with this froze bug.

Anyone can help me please?

I read the solution is kill with melee attack is that true??

6 minutes ago, Ultimate_Ghost09 said:

1° TRY

I take my time go to the right kill the 2 middle guys and the left one and then kill the 2 on the right then I shoot the last one my game FROZE!  Any solutions? Please MY GOLD GUNS- off 

play the game entirely offline from psn/disconnect the console itself from the internet and you should reduce most bugs. connection to social club/servers is the biggest cause of freezes and problems.

13 hours ago, Ultimate_Ghost09 said:

1° TRY

Try to kill him with a melee attack. If you go into last stand and shoot him you can avoid the crash that way. That's what I did and it didn't crash for me.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Ultimate_Ghost09 said:

1° TRY

Not sure if you are using the digitial or disc version, but the disc version is evidently far more reliable. I would also suggest switching the music off.

By 'take my time', how long where you in there? If you can afford it, I would wait outside that room for a minute or two, then once inside give the next room (with LMG guy) a good three minutes total leaving the one guy left and you moving around the entire area to hopefully load everything in. FYI, I got the last guy from cover on my successful playthrough.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, AJ_Radio said:

@iliya0212 You deserve a lot more attention and subscribers mate. Had no idea you posted those NYMHC videos until just now. A big thank you. I'll be using this thread to help me with my NYMHC runs.

yup. I already had the trophy but I was following his progress while he was going after it himself

1st attempt failure in Ch. 7 Brazil after a Molotov. 

2nd Attempt, success. 

21:14 Time on the clock left to spare.

Decided to Help my friend get his done

PSN: Killin_Revolver

1st attempt Game Froze Chapter 5 at the end on the Docks.

2nd attempt shot Passos as he walked in front of my shots near the end of chapter

4-2.

3rd Attempt, success. 

31:53 Time on the clock left to spare. 

5 attempts total for 2 complete New York Minute hardcore runs. 

So I finally completed NYM and I found that from Chapter 10 forward, this game gets a very notable difficulty spike.

I honestly feel the first half of the game isn't that bad. Some parts can still be annoying, such as the boat chase in the later half of Chapter 5, the beginning of Chapter 7, and using the sniper on the helicopter in Chapter 2. But from Chapter 8 onward this game really can become aggravating and at times, difficult.

It took me over double the time to do Chapter 10 thru Chapter 14 in NYM as opposed to Chapter 1 thru 9. Part of the problem is all enemies get body armor in the later chapters, making scoring those headshots crucial. Sometimes that doesn't always go in your favor as they have protection helmets which means you have to shoot at least twice to get one headshot.

Chapter 13 and Chapter 14 on NYM for me was like having Mr Bean walking thru a fucking china shop. Sloppy, erratic, hectic, stressful. This game barely gives you enough time to finish these two chapters on NYM. A couple times I was literally at the five second mark. So you basically have to haul ass on both chapters. I can see why some people say they are easier on NYMHC.

One thing is for sure. I definitely need to practice some more. I've played enough to get thru the first several chapters with relative ease. That doesn't mean I won't make mistakes or the game decides to freeze on me. I had this game already freeze on NYM on two occasions, which sucks because I then have to turn off the console then boot it back on.

It's very likely I'm going to take a small break because I'm honestly getting a little tired of Max Payne 3. I bought a game called The Bunker which should be a pretty easy, relaxing FMV style game. May start up a couple other games in the meantime. I probably won't start NYMHC until Monday or Tuesday at least, depending on my schedule and what I got going in my real life.

Edited by AJ_Radio
added some words
  • Like 1