Post Your NYMHC Failures

simula67

8 hours ago, AJ_Radio said:

I would argue that Chapter 14 is actually harder in normal NYM because of the short amount of time you have, so I basically had to rush. I've seen a good number of YouTube NYMHC playthroughs with the timer over 15 - 20 minutes on the clock, giving you plenty of breathing space to take it slow.

• It's also advised to be EXTREMELY WARY of your health when you use the grenade launcher. The elevator section with the smoke grenades and lasers is significantly easier with the grenade launcher, it almost trivializes it. But I actually went into LSM with the grenade launcher on normal NYM in this area. You will automatically fail because that weapon just doesn't work in NYM.
  • Completely stupid that the game freezes in this area for so many people that you have to utilize a specific strategy for it. Now, like the previous elevator section, you can make this office area easier with the grenade launcher. The LMG dude is much easier to deal with, but again you have the high risk of going into LSM with the grenade launcher.
  • The only 'real' dangerous enemy after the cart sequence is the sniper with the red laser. I don't recall if I've died to him or not, but I heard he doesn't allow you LSM, which if that's the case, then I'll have to make notes of.
  • This section isn't that bad. Only issue is triggering the enemies which will hide in their little corner until you get close enough.
  • As many people know, the boss doesn't allow LSM regardless if you have nine painkillers or none. On the left side I usually hide by the office cabinet and switch aiming shoulders so I can get shoot the ceiling. The four regular enemies that spawn during this boss fight can be a real nuisance, so it's best to take them out as soon as you can.

Yeah, already went into LSM at the beginning of Chapter 9 because I went after the guy going up the stairs killing the civilian.

So right now I'm on Chapter 10. Got the game and console on at my house, currently at work so won't be able to resume the game until later. Farthest I got so far and this is my fourth attempt. Should I die on Chapter 10 I will practice the later chapters on Chapter Select.

I will probably make a good 3 - 5 attempts after this one (should I not succeed) before I will put Max Payne 3 on hold and play other games. Sort of getting a little burnt out on it at this point.

There's zero danger using the grenade launcher in Ch13 as long as the only times you use it is in the area immediately after the tank section (there's two guards facing away from you beating down on one person), fire one at them and it takes three enemies out.

The next time is to blind-fire it as soon as you regain control from the elevator section - by shooting out the windows you'll avoid the animation of Max doing it. As long as you don't try and aim it you won't get shot.

The risk is far too high to be using it with the LMG enemy, and it's not necessary to use it either.

Chapter 10 can be annoying, especially the final section defending yourself after the bus crashes, no real amount of practice can master that part, but you can practice the start and middle sections. For the bit near the beginning I found it easier to take out the sniper to your immediate right, then go round the bus, hit bullet time and take out the enemies there, they will wreck you if you go straight on first and try to take the three enemies coming out the building.

6 hours ago, U_mad_bro7778 said:

IMO grenade launcher on chapter 13 elevator is extremely risky. Sure you have a chance of clearing out the two elevators in matters of second but there is always a chance of getting ripped to shred by the laser guys before you even get a shot off or the grenade blowing you up. Once you last man standing with a grenade launcher good chances are you are dead. I've lost a NYM run because I've tried that stunt. 

Better to be safe then sorry and play normal for that section, hiding under cover killing one at a time. Time is not much of a factor on the later chapter so it's kindly of pointless to risk it for more time. Nothing more frustrating then losing a good run due to a grenade launcher.

Nope, that part is the sole reason you should carry the grenade launcher. Blindfire will not expose you, the moment you try to pop up and aim manually you're asking for trouble. As soon as you gain control, switch weapon, move the reticule a little high above the elevator, and fire. Wait a second or two, do it again, and repeat. You should hear the enemies screaming as an indicator you've got them.

2 hours ago, BrandedBerserk said:

Done on my third attempt. This could of went so wrong in the favelas when enemies wouldn't spawn but thankfully the glitch sorted itself out when I paused 1f605.png. As for chapter 13, I stood by the entrance of the door for as long as I could before picking them off then I paused for about 10 minutes. After that I killed the last enemy with melee and the game didn't freeze. Best of luck to all yall going for this. 

8zvLkTR.jpg

You're very goddamn lucky if it ONLY took you three attempts. Currently on my sixth attempt on Chapter 10. Pretty hairy this one. Thankfully I can do Chapter 11 and Chapter 12 fairly well, since I did some practice runs.

Impressive.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, AJ_Radio said:

You're very goddamn lucky if it ONLY took you three attempts. Currently on my sixth attempt on Chapter 10. Pretty hairy this one. Thankfully I can do Chapter 11 and Chapter 12 fairly well, since I did some practice runs.

Impressive.

Cheers for the kind words spaz, I'm glad I got it done rather quick cause anymore glitches or freezes would of probably driven me mad lol. On chapter 13 make sure you pause the game for quite a bit and kill the last guy with melee, had I done that on my first attempt I would of been done even sooner. I saw you mention the fight with Becker on chapter 14 and for that one what I'll say is to simply stay put where you're positioned once the cutscene is over. Not only does this protect you from grenades but he also won't spam you compared to if you're moving around the place. Now that I think of it, those white carts are probably meant for you to hide behind so that his grenades don't kill you instantly. Also having two of the automatic pistols and dual wielding them during that part makes it go by so much faster as you shred even the armored guys. If you can make it that far its only a matter of time before you've completed it. 

Edited by BrandedBerserk

It's been a while since I've played, but I found NYMH to be pretty overrated, as it's only on the normal difficulty and you have already completed the game many times over by that point and on higher and much harder difficulties. I think it took me like three attempts, two of which were failed due to bugs, and one was failed due to the one-shot sniper sequence. 

The main thing I remember is that the Bullet Time is so minimal that it's basically worthless and you get shredded if you play it as a standard cover shooter, so really you have three ways to approach sections: 1) shoot dodge back and forth between pieces of cover (this is usually the best, but requires two pieces of cover because you are exposed otherwise) 2) do the wall cheese (same as games like Uncharted) where you use the slicing the pie tactic while standing behind a wall and the enemies can't really hit you but you can hit them or 3) blindfire from cover (if you only have limited chest-high cover) 

Good luck on your runs and finishing up 100% before they close the servers. If any game should get a remaster, it should be this, because the performance was pretty bad. 

10 hours ago, machaesthetic said:

The main thing I remember is that the Bullet Time is so minimal that it's basically worthless and you get shredded if you play it as a standard cover shooter.

This is wrong. Bullet Time is practically invaluable on NYMHC. 

1 hour ago, dieselmanchild said:

That’s a smart strategy. Anyways, good luck! I look forward to following your progress man. 1f642.png

I would suggest doing regular NYM and getting a feel for the levels. You will need to learn every enemy spawn when you play NYMHC, trust me.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AJ_Radio said:

I would suggest doing regular NYM and getting a feel for the levels. You will need to learn every enemy spawn when you play NYMHC, trust me.

Yeah I need to do this anyways for the trophy. I’m just gonna run through the story once again to get my bearings back, then start working on NYM. Hopefully by the time I finish that I’ll have shaken the rust off. 

18 hours ago, machaesthetic said:

It's been a while since I've played, but I found NYMH to be pretty overrated, as it's only on the normal difficulty and you have already completed the game many times over by that point and on higher and much harder difficulties. I think it took me like three attempts, two of which were failed due to bugs, and one was failed due to the one-shot sniper sequence. 

The main thing I remember is that the Bullet Time is so minimal that it's basically worthless and you get shredded if you play it as a standard cover shooter, so really you have three ways to approach sections: 1) shoot dodge back and forth between pieces of cover (this is usually the best, but requires two pieces of cover because you are exposed otherwise) 2) do the wall cheese (same as games like Uncharted) where you use the slicing the pie tactic while standing behind a wall and the enemies can't really hit you but you can hit them or 3) blindfire from cover (if you only have limited chest-high cover) 

Good luck on your runs and finishing up 100% before they close the servers. If any game should get a remaster, it should be this, because the performance was pretty bad. 

The difficulty isn't the issue, it's the time it takes, essentially an iron man mode having to beat it in the span of a 3-4 hour sitting. There are numerous insta-kill moments too.

As AJ said, bullet time is invaluable, you quickly learn to use it in bursts to help you pull off headshots and build up your time, remember there's no auto aim in NYMHC.

Shoot dodge becomes a last resort, may work in normal modes but Max's animation getting up off the ground is so slow that it is to be avoided unless absolutely necessary to get out of a tight spot.

Well, I'm going to take a break from this game. Between the work schedule I've had the past couple days and the goddamn glitches (Chapter 7 was iffy) I can't be bothered to do more attempts right now.

Legitimately pissed off.

Attempt #6: Chapter 13. Like so many others, my game froze just before to LMG dude. My only two guesses was I had Golden Guns enabled and I had one dude come out of the office on the right, which may have triggered the glitch.

Here is proof:

1yJcoRn.jpg

Fuck this nonsense.

Going to be playing other games, will start this again in a few days or next week depending on my schedule.

Edited by AJ_Radio
added the Imgur picture
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, BluesFanUK said:

The difficulty isn't the issue, it's the time it takes, essentially an iron man mode having to beat it in the span of a 3-4 hour sitting. There are numerous insta-kill moments too.

As AJ said, bullet time is invaluable, you quickly learn to use it in bursts to help you pull off headshots and build up your time, remember there's no auto aim in NYMHC.

Shoot dodge becomes a last resort, may work in normal modes but Max's animation getting up off the ground is so slow that it is to be avoided unless absolutely necessary to get out of a tight spot.

If you're still playing this like a standard third person shooter after four playthroughs then you're going to have a bad time lol. Of course you should utilize any bullet time you have, but you shouldn't be playing it like a cover shooter. Just stand at an angle behind walls and use bullet time, or if there are two pieces of covers shootdodge between them, or if there is only partial cover then either use any bullet time remaining or blindfire. Shootdodge is pretty broken because it allows you to spam bullet-time, and if you do it back and forth between pieces of cover then enemies have trouble hitting you. 

However, since NYMH is only on normal difficulty, you should be just breezing through pretty much everything with no issue since you've already beat the game on Hard, Hardcore, and Old-School. Time should be a complete nonissue, so just play difficult sections a bit slower using the above methods. By the time you reach NYMH, completing the game consistently without dying shouldn't be much of an issue since you have so many playthroughs under your belt, so you just need to wait until the game decides to not bug out and let you win lol.

Edited by machaesthetic

2 hours ago, machaesthetic said:

If you're still playing this like a standard third person shooter after four playthroughs then you're going to have a bad time lol. Of course you should utilize any bullet time you have, but you shouldn't be playing it like a cover shooter. Just stand at an angle behind walls and use bullet time, or if there are two pieces of covers shootdodge between them, or if there is only partial cover then either use any bullet time remaining or blindfire. Shootdodge is pretty broken because it allows you to spam bullet-time, and if you do it back and forth between pieces of cover then enemies have trouble hitting you. 

However, since NYMH is only on normal difficulty, you should be just breezing through pretty much everything with no issue since you've already beat the game on Hard, Hardcore, and Old-School. Time should be a complete nonissue, so just play difficult sections a bit slower using the above methods. By the time you reach NYMH, completing the game consistently without dying shouldn't be much of an issue since you have so many playthroughs under your belt, so you just need to wait until the game decides to not bug out and let you win lol.

I've already beat it mate, and I left Old School and Hardcore for the last trophies. Most chapters are a breeze, but there are plenty RNG moments which can destroy a run, AJ's providing the most recent proof of that.

Shoot dodge is not broken either, try that continuously on NYMHC and you're not beating the mode, skill level is irrelevant, the animation for getting up off the ground is as good as committing virtual suicide.

6 hours ago, AJ_Radio said:

Well, I'm going to take a break from this game. Between the work schedule I've had the past couple days and the goddamn glitches (Chapter 7 was iffy) I can't be bothered to do more attempts right now.

Legitimately pissed off.

Attempt #6: Chapter 13. Like so many others, my game froze just before to LMG dude. My only two guesses was I had Golden Guns enabled and I had one dude come out of the office on the right, which may have triggered the glitch.

Here is proof:

1yJcoRn.jpg

Fuck this nonsense.

Going to be playing other games, will start this again in a few days or next week depending on my schedule.

Damn that’s brutal man. This spot seems to jam everyone up and it’s so cruel with how late in the game it is.

I’ve heard some people say that disabling Golden Guns will reduce the change of freezes and bugs happening, but others have said they used Golden Guns for every run and never had a problem. Considering the benefits of using them I’m wondering if it’s worth the risk of keeping them on? What do you think.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, AJ_Radio said:

My only two guesses was I had Golden Guns enabled

Man... Why? Damn

11 minutes ago, dieselmanchild said:

Considering the benefits of using them I’m wondering if it’s worth the risk of keeping them on? What do you think.

I legit don't remember the benefits, how do they help?

1 hour ago, kevao97 said:

Man... Why? Damn

they increase your clip size by a margin and damage by %10...

for the record, I did nymhc many years ago on the digital version, ps3 online the whole time and using only golden guns...furthermore, my final run took a couple days with my console paused for extended periods between levels since I was busy with real life stuff and lacked the time to do it in one shot...I did experience a few run ending freezes and glitches (ch. 7, 9, 12 & 13) but also got it done with these settings...not saying this to brag, just to point out that it's possible none of the above actually affect the trophy...

Edited by ProfBambam55
  • Like 3

12 hours ago, BluesFanUK said:

I just played the game half way till like Chapter 9, paused the game and went to sleep, and finished NYMHC the next day. People should be fully rested when attempting to beat NYMHC.

• Like 1

Attempt 4:

Played fairly well, but had a wird death on chapter 10 in the parkinglot. Maybe the bus blow up or somthing i am not sure.

Attempt  5:

Success. I was super close to failing on chapter 13 on the evator smoke section. I got downed and could not find my target so I had to sort to spray and pray. With less the 1 second before got the game over screen i managed to conect with my bullet. I also had a close call later in the chapter so I was quite shaky by the end.

I think I have some tips for the game not freezing. Be careful skipping cutscenes especially when you come deep into your run. Seam like this messes up the game some times. I would also recommend not doing to many restart before resetting the game. When it comes to being connected online and using golden guns this caused me no issues. Atleast I got the trophies with golden guns and being connected online.

Good luck everyone, if anyone need any advice I will try to help.

• Like 2

I don’t know if anyone has played this game on Xbox or PC, whether the Chapter 13 freeze glitch actually manifests there. 

I die to a grenade, someone in an unreachable spot after going into LMS mode, dying to the bosses of Chapter 13 or Chapter 14, running out of painkillers, going into LMS with a grenade launcher..... whatever. Hell, I can reach the Becker fight and die. None of those would of pissed me off as much as having a game breaking glitch. 

I honestly hope Wolfenstein II isn’t like this. Because having glitches like this in a permadeath mode is unacceptable. 

9 minutes ago, HoorayForTyler said:

Started my NYMHC runs today. First fail was at the very beginning of Chapter 6, don’t know how I managed to mess that up lol. Doing my second attempt now.

The preasure can get to you, but keep trying you will get further and further and before you know it you will get there.

Edited by pikaopas
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, kevao97 said:

Man... Why? Damn

Like the other guy said they give you a 10% damage increase and way more ammunition, both of which are massively helpful. I think I’ll probably just end up risking it and using them.

1 hour ago, AJ_Radio said:

I honestly hope Wolfenstein II isn’t like this. Because having glitches like this in a permadeath mode is unacceptable. 

Luckily Wolfy 2 is nothing like this, it’s a far more polished game. In fact, the myriad of glitches that I’ve read about in Wolfenstein 2 actually seem to work to your advantage massively if you take the time to learn them, especially the skips if you can pull them off.

Can you give me any tips to avoid the Chapter 13 freeze glitch @pikaopas

On my last run I waited for over a minute but after I killed the last guy on the right the game froze. 

Someone said to pick off the two guys in the main area then pick off the dude in the office on the left. My last attempt he was one of the last guys I killed, then I figured that meleeing the final dude before the LMG would be good. Turns out, it didn’t. 

This trophy might be above 1 percent rarity were it not for the glitches.

2 hours ago, AJ_Radio said:

in terms of glitches, wolfstein is much more technically polished as mentioned. now in terms of unpredictable deaths beyond your control... much harder than max 3 imo, i'm on a hiatus atm 

2 hours ago, HoorayForTyler said:

Started my NYMHC runs today. First fail was at the very beginning of Chapter 6, don’t know how I managed to mess that up lol. Doing my second attempt now.

good luck, sir!

1 hour ago, dieselmanchild said:

In fact, the myriad of glitches that I’ve read about in Wolfenstein 2 actually seem to work to your advantage massively if you take the time to learn them, especially the skips if you can pull them off.

yes, i can't do it without skips, they are very useful and worth the investment in learning

Two more attempts come and gone:

Attempt #7: Chapter 13. Decided to go into LMS to kill the last dude in the office area before LMG guy spawned. Despite hitting his helmet with my rifle, he wouldn't go down. After some ridiculous moves on my part, I run out of painkillers and he guns me down. GG.

Attempt #8: Chapter 2. Not sure what went on here. Couldn't destroy the second rocket in time just prior to landing on the helipad. Never happened on any of my previous runs, including normal playthroughs.