Music While Gaming On Console

PleaseHoldOn

Music While Gaming On Console  

90 members have voted

1. 1. Do you listen to music while gaming?

• Yes, all the time.
    • Yes, but it depends on the game and/or my mood.
    • No, never.
  2. 2. If so, what is your primary means of doing so?

• The console's internal media player and audio files I provide.
    • Website or app on the console (ie. Spotify, Pandora, etc).
    • Separate device via headphones or external speakers (ie. iPod, MP3 Player, Desktop/Laptop, etc).
    • Other (post below).
    • I never listen to music while gaming, so it doesn't matter.

Just a random question that crossed my mind.  I'm looking for ways to improve my setup, if at all possible, for listening to music while playing games on the Playstation... figured I'd get a consensus and maybe some fresh ideas of how you guys are doing it (if you are). :)

Since this is a Playstation forum, I guess most of you will speak from that perspective.  If you use an Xbox or the Wii, I guess answer as best you can from those as well.  I don't know what functionality they provide really.

Edited by PleaseHoldOn

I occasionally listen to music while gaming. It depends on the game and/or what I'm doing. (Like when farming or boosting online)

As to how I listen to music, I always try doing it over the PS3 first but I find most games don't allow that so I'm usually forced to listen through my headphones with my phone.

I do it when the music isn't prevalent in the game.

For example, games like borderlands, Batman, Call of Duty, Destiny, etc, the music really doesn't ADD to the experience imo. Therefore, I might play my own music instead.

However, games like Journey, Fire Emblem, Mario, Legend of Zelda, Final Fantasy, etc.I feel like the music actually ADDS to the gaming experience. Therefore, I'd never play music over it in a million years!

I'm always listening to music when playing games. 

During the day I mute the game when my brother is sleeping because he works nights. So headphones on my laptop using youtube or I'll use my iPod.

During the night I usually play on mute still and use my laptop's speakers to play youtube. (I just load up a bunch of tabs and repeat them.)

I've been grinding the last few trophies in GTA V the last week or so and every now and then I'll use the music player to play my own songs, but I turn the radio off in-game and play the music at a volume level where it sounds convincing it's part of the game (I can hear the car and whatnot over it)

I tend to listen to music to reduce the anger I get whenever I can't go to the next scene of a game or what not.. It helps me focus more and calms the anger  :lol:

Forgot to mention: I also play music when I'm playing minecraft on creative mode. I feel like my brain cells die if I don't lol

Edited by uVclouDz

I play music on the side depending on the game. I have found out that some games let you use music on your system which is cool.  Haven't had a game to try it out on but maybe will one day.

I didn't like most of THPS HD's soundtrack, so I play music while I play that. Also after my first playthrough of Mirror's Edge, I played music and that helped me keep the flow going for some of the harder challenges in that game.  I'll admit, if I ever get into a grindy game that I want the plat for, I may lose the game's sound for my music instead.

Is it something of note that the only two plats I have came when I was willing to listen to tunes? :huh:

Mostly a game usually does a good job and the music/soundtrack/ambient music really sets the atmosphere of the game.  It depends on the game whether or not I ever decide to drop the sound.

If it's a game I have played through before, a game with bland sounds/music, or a game I just don't care for the story/sounds on and am only continuing to play because why not. Then I will put my music on my stereo or my headphones and listen to my own stuff.

Music can be a big motivational booster when I have to do lengthy grinds.