To sell or not to sell?

Hocking_1988

Hey everyone, I have a dilemma and I'm sorry if it has been asked before but I can't make my mind up. So I have both a PS3 and a PS4. I have about 8-10 games I haven't touched on my PS3 and obviously the ps plus games that come out. I have always intended to play them if for no other reason than to help boost my trophy level, but it just isn't happening. Every time I think to myself to go and turn the PS3 on I get drawn to my ps4. With more and more games coming out on the ps4 the chances of me playing PS3 is going to get even slimmer. I could probably get around £100 for it in total. So do I sell it? Or just keep it incass I get the urge to play again? I work 40 hours a week so my gaming is quite limited to a few hours an evening and maybe some more time at weekends. What you all think?

Obviously most people wouldn't sell it, me neither, but most of us have invested more on PS3 than you have. Having hundreds of games on back log, shelves full of games, why sell it? My PS3 has YEARS left in her.

As you don't seem to have same situation, I could recommend selling PS3 - BUT. You are hesitant. You made this thread, meaning you might regret selling your console later.

"Strange thing about regret is... it is easier to regret something you have done than something you haven't done..."

• Like 2

I'd say sell it (this is coming from someone who exclusively plays PS3). It's only a matter of time before those games become worthless (I mean, last week I went to CEX with a tenner and walked out with 6 PS3 games), so there really isn't going to be another chance to sell again. Also, Sony just re-releases everything these days on PS4, so if you really wanted to play something you missed just get the PS4 versions. 

I was in the exact same situation and decided to sell my PS3 3 weeks ago. The only thing I miss is being able to change my avatar, the more I play my ps4 the more I love it, I was just using my PS3 to play games to up my completion rate and I wasn't really having fun at all, It just ruined my game experience. I don't miss my PS3, and I'm glad I sold it, ps4 is where it's at and there are some amazing games coming out. It's your choice though, just thought I'd share my views.

I have considered the same thing. Ultimately, I have decided to keep my PS3, Why? Because i still have plenty of games that need to be finished, and started. I just recently started AC Revelations as I intend to go through each of the  Assassins Creed games.

In the past I have sold my console when I upgraded to the next generation. Even if Sony doesn't release any new games for PS3 there is still plenty to play. 

So, I say hold on to it for now. Just in case you do get the urge to play again.

Edited by snakebit10
  • Like 1

I wouldnt sell mine, I sold so many of my old things and ALWAYS regret selling them years later. Maybe now you might feel you dont want to play PS3 when you have that shiny PS4. However what if in a few years you start to think what an awesome console it was back in the day and still is and you want to go back to play some of those older games? I know I would :D

Don't sell it. For a lot of reasons. What if your PS4 stops working? What if you decide you want to play the whole Assassins Creed/Battlefield/Batman etc series? What if you decide to complete games you started?

Personally I play me PS3 much more than my PS4. And now there are SO many quality titles out there cheap.

Keep your PS3. One day you'll be feeling nostalgic and will want to play PS3 games. Out of the blue, I feel like playing WCW/NWO Revenge on the N64. That's why I keep my older games/consoles, so I can play my favorite older games. Some games aren't on the PSN store. I hate that, "I feel like playing Haunting Ground. Damn, wish I haven't sold the game." feeling.

My experience:

Back in 2008, I was lucky enough to get the MGS4 PS3 80GB(backwards compatible for PS2 games) bundle. Needless to say, I had no use for my PS2. My PS2 never failed me had it since it came out in what, 2000/2001? It was in good condition and I had the internet adapter attached. I sold my PS2. Three years later, we had a heat wave during the summer. I lived in an old house where we had no air conditioning, so we had to use fans. While I was gaming on MGO2, my PS3 had a heat stroke(overheated, RLOD) and died. A little part of me died inside too. I went out and bought a new slim 160GB PS3, which I still use today. But yet, something was missing: On my old PS3, I would play PS2 games.

Long story short: I bought a used PS2(slim), cover wouldn't close and had issues, bought another used PS2(fatty) and disc wouldn't stay put. And so I finally bought a brand new PS2(slim) on eBay. Not for cheap. SO yea, if I would've kept my first PS2, I wouldn't shelled out extra money buying scraps.

I used to have this problem 4-5 years ago when I was totally obsessed with ps3. I was confused as well weather to sell it or not. I didn't though. Until I bought my ps4 last year and totally forgot about my ps3, I wish I could've sold it! At least I hope to know where is it exactly rn lol! 

So I'd rather to sell it and spend the money on ps4 games, you'll enjoy it more  :)

I used to sell consoles left and right once I was done with them, and aye... I would just buy them back up a year or two later.

Now, the only way I'm selling any consoles OR games, is if I'm getting out of the console race for good.  Of which the thought has occurred to me, since I conveniently happen to have a gaming PC that can play all (not counting exclusives of course) the same games, while typically looking and running nicer at the same time.  As well as prior generations of games, anywhere from the NES to the PS2 via emulation, in 1080p.  A full gaming catalog at my fingertips, and the pride of building and maintaining my own perfect little gaming machine. *shakes head*  Uhm... but that's neither here nor there. :)

My suggestion to you, unless you truly need the money, keep it.  The day will come where all games are digital and everything is streamed through the cloud.  Enjoy having a nice gaming collection while it lasts.  Pass them down to your kids someday. ;)

Edited by PleaseHoldOn

If you got a lot of games for PS3, not just backlog, you render your collection "unplayable" if you sell your PS3.

I used to sell consoles left and right once I was done with them, and aye... I would just buy them back up a year or two later.

Now, the only way I'm selling any consoles OR games, is if I'm getting out of the console race for good.  Of which the thought has occurred to me, since I conveniently happen to have a gaming PC that can play all (not counting exclusives of course) the same games, while typically looking and running nicer at the same time.  As well as prior generations of games, anywhere from the NES to the PS2 via emulation, in 1080p.  A full gaming catalog at my fingertips, and the pride of building and maintaining my own perfect little gaming machine. *shakes head*  Uhm... but that's neither here nor there. :)

My suggestion to you, unless you truly need the money, keep it.  The day will come where all games are digital and everything is streamed through the cloud.  Enjoy having a nice gaming collection while it lasts.  Pass them down to your kids someday. ;)

Emulation is far from perfect a lot of the time. There's many problematic games, especially with the newer consoles. Even PS1 emulators have a lot of issues. PS2 emulators have far more because it needs to emulate a lot multi threading features etc of a foreign architecture.

As for PS3 emulators... I wouldn't hold my breath.

Edited by MMDE

Hey everyone, I have a dilemma and I'm sorry if it has been asked before but I can't make my mind up. So I have both a PS3 and a PS4. I have about 8-10 games I haven't touched on my PS3 and obviously the ps plus games that come out. I have always intended to play them if for no other reason than to help boost my trophy level, but it just isn't happening. Every time I think to myself to go and turn the PS3 on I get drawn to my ps4. With more and more games coming out on the ps4 the chances of me playing PS3 is going to get even slimmer. I could probably get around £100 for it in total. So do I sell it? Or just keep it incass I get the urge to play again? I work 40 hours a week so my gaming is quite limited to a few hours an evening and maybe some more time at weekends. What you all think?

I never sell consoles. It's one rule I have lol.

Urges come and go, so I would hold onto it, you never know what the future has in store. Plus 100 isn't much for a perfectly good ps3 loaded with digitals imo