Relation to Demon Souls?

Kimbapbap

Demon's Souls was made before and by the same guys that made Dark Souls but the world and lore are not related.

You won't miss anything if you go straight to Dark Souls.

The main differences are in the gameplay, Dark Souls has an open world while Demon's Souls has a hub world and magic works differently in both games. Stats also work slightly differently but I couldn't tell you specifics.

Demon's Souls also has an annoying Light/Dark world mechanic that neither Dark Souls games have.

I'm sure there's more differences that I forget but those are the main ones.

In short, you won't miss anything but it's definitely worth playing Demon's Souls at some point anyway because it's awesome.

Edit: To make clear, Dark Souls spells have a set number of casts before you have to rest at a bonfire to replenish them, Demon's Souls has a mana bar and items to refill it and you can cast whatever spell however many times you want.

Edited by Maftet

Dark Souls is a spiritual successor, so things like the gameplay, leveling, currency, controls, magic,  etc. are similar. It's more like the FInal Fantasy games where each of them shares the same name, but are set in a different world, with different characters, and each game has its own story.

• Like 1

I will keep this spoiler free so feel free to read:

-There is Patches the Hyena, which is now Trusty Patches.
-Also the Crestallen Warrior is voiced by the same person in both games. 
-Xanthous King Jeremiah is similar to the Old Monk.

-The Phalanx makes a cameo in a level.
-Spells and miracles are similar in both games.
-The healing sound effect is the same.

In conclusion the game features a lot of references, small nods to the series, but the story is completely unrelated and you won't miss on anything if you play Dark Souls first.

• 1 year later...
On 10/2/2015 at 3:14 PM, NICK16_06 said:

I will keep this spoiler free so feel free to read:

-There is Patches the Hyena, which is now Trusty Patches.
-Also the Crestallen Warrior is voiced by the same person in both games. 
-Xanthous King Jeremiah is similar to the Old Monk.

-The Phalanx makes a cameo in a level.
-Spells and miracles are similar in both games.
-The healing sound effect is the same.

In conclusion the game features a lot of references, small nods to the series, but the story is completely unrelated and you won't miss on anything if you play Dark Souls first.

There's a lot more. ;p

Just as an example, a more general one is The Moonlight Sword, which is in pretty much every FROM SOFTWARE game, from their very first to even naming a game creator tool it. :P

Demon's Souls also got some cool references. Even some cut content was taken straight out of KFIV - TAC, which has been adjusted a bit and used in Dark Souls 1 too (the snake head people). :) 

I'm more interested in knowing if there was any connection intended between KFIV and KFI-III. :o