Big Boss of MGS

Stargazer2600

Now let me start by saying that this is all just my opinion. All i ask is if you disagree with me then please be kind when you reply. If you feel you cant then please leave. This isn't a hard depth analysis. its just a simple one based on what i know, played and experienced. this may hold light spoilers for anyone knew so please keep that in mind

The MGS series has no shortage of characters and each character plays a role in each game they appear in. Some characters you only see in one game like Vulcan Raven or Fortune. Some you see twice like Vamp and then theres the staples like Solid Snake or Ocelot. However, there IS only one character that has either made a apperance or been touched upon in the game and even when they arnt in the game, they play a vital role. That person is of course, Big Boss

Now, as of this writing Big Boss appears in MGS3 all they way to MG Snakes Revenge (with him being the main boss of MG and MGSR) he is only mentioned for plot convenience in MGS and MGS 2 finally you see him again in MGS 4. This does raise another question i hear quite a bit. "who is the MGS about". I looked hard at this question and while some may say that its split into two with the first half about Big Boss and the second half about Solid Snake. I say thats wrong. I say Its ALL about Big Boss. The games started out about Solid Snake. He was the Main character of the first Metal Gear and its sequal. He was the main character of MGS and partially (i guess) the character of MGS 2 and then of course the main Character of MGS 4.

However once MGS 3 was released and Big Boss became the main character and they started to play on his rise to how he became Big Boss and to how he became the main bad guy of Metal Gear, That all changed. As i said earlier, Big Boss isnt in MGS or MGS 2 but is stilla part of the story that drives it to continue. Without Big Boss there is no MGS. He IS the foundation the story builds on and while at one time the story was about Solid Snake. I feel Solid Snake has now become the secondary character to Big Boss.

So that is just what i have noticed. What do you all think? Do you think im right or do you disagree? If you agree do you think it was wise to shift the focus? please be nice and comment below. :)

Edited by Stargazer2600

I completely agree, I think that solid snake was meant to be the main character as he was in MGS and MGS2 but when MGS3 was made people probable just liked the big boss more and there was a lot of unanswered questions at the time. Hideo Kojima took this to his advantage and made him the main character, after all solid snake was made from the big boss. There was also a lot more to explain for the big boss than solid, Solid is big bosses clone story done basically. While for the big boss they have many years to cover which is done in MGS5 and Peace walker (Haven't played metal gear so I don't know if those games were about him or not, sorry)

If this whole thing is wrong then just ignore me  :huh:

The question "Who is MGS about?" presumes that Kojima approached every single game in the series as a piece of a whole, which I'm pretty sure isn't the case. The themes vary wildly from game to game and so do the characters and storylines. He is very good at making people believe that the whole overarching story of these games was planned out from the start and that it's all a grand "saga". In all honesty, the story is a mess, albeit a beautiful one. He probably started out with Solid Snake as the main character (hence Metal Gear SOLID) and as the story grew in his mind he simply shifted it towards Big Boss as he probably started having much more interesting ideas about him than Solid. Or maybe he just didn't know what to do with Solid after MGS2 and needed some more time to come up with MGS4. Looking back at the overall story, you get the impression that the games are about "The Legend of Big Boss", but honestly it probably was only after MGS2 that Kojima realized where he wanted the story to go. Until that point the games were simply about Solid Snake, or the Sons of Big Boss if you will.

I'd say that MGS 1, 2 and 4 are more about Solid and Liquid Snake than Big Boss. 3, PW and PP are obviously about Big Boss.

• Like 1

The question "Who is MGS about?" presumes that Kojima approached every single game in the series as a piece of a whole, which I'm pretty sure isn't the case. The themes vary wildly from game to game and so do the characters and storylines. He is very good at making people believe that the whole overarching story of these games was planned out from the start and that it's all a grand "saga". In all honesty, the story is a mess, albeit a beautiful one. He probably started out with Solid Snake as the main character (hence Metal Gear SOLID) and as the story grew in his mind he simply shifted it towards Big Boss as he probably started having much more interesting ideas about him than Solid. Or maybe he just didn't know what to do with Solid after MGS2 and needed some more time to come up with MGS4. Looking back at the overall story, you get the impression that the games are about "The Legend of Big Boss", but honestly it probably was only after MGS2 that Kojima realized where he wanted the story to go. Until that point the games were simply about Solid Snake, or the Sons of Big Boss if you will.

I'd say that MGS 1, 2 and 4 are more about Solid and Liquid Snake than Big Boss. 3, PW and PP are obviously about Big Boss.

which is why I more or less have said that the story WAS about Solid Snake. But as time progressed his place has changed

I gotta agree with you. Big Boss is the main man of the series, after all there is no Solid Snake nor Liquid Snake without him. Hell, even Ocelot wouldn't be the same without BB's influences and advice.

Though, the series revolves around everyone as well. Raiden, Otacon, and Meryl are few to name. In the end, we should thank the mastermind himself, Hideo Kojima and the talented folks at Kojima Productions for all the fun memories and story we got.  xD

• Like 2

Well, yeah, Big Boss has always been the linchpin of the entire series, that much is obvious from the very first Metal Gear game on the NES. Also, Big Boss became the chief protagonist of the series through Peace Walker and Metal Gear Solid V on account of the series being wrapped up at the end of Metal Gear Solid 4. There was nowhere left to take Solid Snake as a character, as his arc has come to a close.

So, what are you going to do when fans are crying out for a new Metal Gear Solid game and the story of its main character has already come to a close? You develop prequels and try to fit a new story around what happens later in the MGS timeline of course. Therefore, Big Boss' years of "unknown status" made for the perfect way to continue making new Metal Gear Solid games via prequels, and it also caused Big Boss to become the undoubted touch-bearer of the series. 

the answer to that question was called Metal Gear Revengence (or however its spelled)

That wasn't a Metal Gear Solid game, nor was Kojima the director or Konami Productions the developers, so it doesn't really count. Well, I personally don't count it. :P Plus, Peace Walker was released three years prior to it, so that was the first Metal Gear game released after Metal Gear Solid 4. 

• Like 1

Isn't the series centered really on The Boss? I read somewhere that the entire series was the misinterpretation of The Boss' will with Solid Snake finally being able to, unknowingly, bring it to reality. The Big Boss was doing the opposite of what The Boss had originally intended and got caught up in his own fucked up world. 

But oh, well. We'll never see a proper MGS title centered on everyone's favorite: Akiba.

Isn't the series centered really on The Boss? I read somewhere that the entire series was the misinterpretation of The Boss' will with Solid Snake finally being able to, unknowingly, bring it to reality. The Big Boss was doing the opposite of what The Boss had originally intended and got caught up in his own fucked up world. 

But oh, well. We'll never see a proper MGS title centered on everyone's favorite: Akiba.

There's certainly an argument to be made for The Boss being the ground zero of the series. A lot of her ideas created a ripple effect that impacted the rest of the games. However, Big Boss is such a key part of the franchise that an argument can be made for either of them.

Aside from Big Boss, The Boss has to be one of the major characters in the series. Without her, I dont think there will ever be any Snakes, FoxHound, or Outer Heavens. It's such a shame that Kojima didnt had the chance to make the Metal Gear game featuring The Boss that he wanted to, would have been sick to have the Cobra Unit by your side :D

Also, MGRising was good. Despite not having any direct involvement in it, it was a neat idea for Kojima to come up with. Made Raiden 100% the badass that he already was in MGS4 IMO.

• Like 1

Not only is it about Big Boss and Solid Snake (And/or Solidus or Liquid) but its about Zero/US Government putting them all through this shit basically bringing them to the end game in MGS4. There is so much story to go back over after playing TPP and seeing how everything pans out in the end. Its kinda crazy he wrote this story as convoluted it may seem.

It makes a whole shit load of sense though if youve been following the games since the 80's.

Edited by det0xxp

Well yeah, MGS is similar in that same way with Star Wars. Original three movies everyone put Luke as the main character, but with the prequels you find that it's really Anakin/Darth Vader that the Star Wars story revolves around.

So it's really almost:

Solid Snake = Luke Skywalker

Big Boss = Anakin/Darth Vader

• Like 1

Well yeah, MGS is similar in that same way with Star Wars. Original three movies everyone put Luke as the main character, but with the prequels you find that it's really Anakin/Darth Vader that the Star Wars story revolves around.

So it's really almost:

Solid Snake = Luke Skywalker

Big Boss = Anakin/Darth Vader

the son losses his mother - shemee/anakin  big boss/the boss (i know the boss isnt his mother but close)

that leads him down the dark path - anakin/big boss

now a bad guy they create a ultimate fortress   deathstar/outer heaven

bad guys son destroys said fortress  luke/Solid Snake destroys death star/outer heaven

son fights father   luke/vader   Solid Snake/big boss

son and father make up before father dies   vader/ big boss

MGS is almost soldier star wars lol :P

• Like 1

the son losses his mother - shemee/anakin  big boss/the boss (i know the boss isnt his mother but close)

that leads him down the dark path - anakin/big boss

now a bad guy they create a ultimate fortress   deathstar/outer heaven

bad guys son destroys said fortress  luke/Solid Snake destroys death star/outer heaven

son fights father   luke/vader   Solid Snake/big boss

son and father make up before father dies   vader/ big boss

MGS is almost soldier star wars lol :P

Yup, it's literally Star Wars haha