"I could do with a bit more money!": Yu Suzuki on the return of Shenmue

FlareXV

Source:http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-10-04-i-could-do-with-a-bit-more-money-yu-suzuki-on-the-return-of-shenmue

Quote from the source: 

"Before I came on stage, there was Final Fantasy 7. It was such a huge reception from the crowd! I was really worried how people were going to take it." I caught up with Suzuki during last month's Tokyo Game Show, where we talk amid the tinkle of delicate coffee cups in the New Otani hotel's top-floor cafe. Wearing a fleece jacket emblazoned in logos for the UK motorbike company Norton, there's still something of the old rebel about him, even if it's been softened with age. "When Final Fantasy came on, people were like 'raaaaagh,'" Suzuki says, his face lighting up with a smile. "When it was Shenmue, it was more like'squuuuueeeee'. People all over were coming to give me congratulations, to pat me on the back. It was unreal."

I don't know what to think, MN9 and now this? It's nice to see his legacy carry on but the way it was handled wasn't a good look. 

I get why the original Shenmue games were as expensive as they were, but a lot of the unique things those games offered (open world, day/night cycles, weather patterns, realistic NPC patterns, etc) I feel have become pretty standardized these days.  Especially since they are using such a widely used and expanded engine like Unreal 4.

It's all up in the air at this point just how good Shenmue III will be.  Even if I personally think it's fantastic (or maybe I'll hate it, but I truly can't picture that... I'd take a picture of Ryo on a restaurant napkin at this point), the phrase "it didn't live up to the hype/expectations after all this time" will probably run rampant in reviews for the game.  This constant outcry for more money is a little concerning though after such a wildly successful Kickstarter campaign and additional funding from Sony and Shibuya themselves, and will probably become the excuse for anything that falls flat come release time... whether it's actually money related or not.

Though maybe developers just always wish they had a little more money, or a little more time.  It's his baby afterall, nothing's ever good enough for your baby. ;)

Edited by PleaseHoldOn

That does make me wonder, how is S3 going to compare to the likes of W3,AC5,SB,UC4 and The Division in the A.I department?  

You listed a lot of different kinds of games there.  Since the article even says combat is taking a backseat to story, it'll all depend how well Yu and company do at making a realistic, living breathing world.  To compare it to games like Uncharted 4 and The Division probably isn't fair (especially since The Division isn't out yet)... even The Witcher 3 and Assassin's Creed is kind of out there.  How many big name titles have really tried to tackle recreating 1980's Japan/China?

Edited by PleaseHoldOn

I'm a bit concerned regarding the graphics' apparent downgrade. I've never played a Shenmue before, but I've heard wonders.

Back to topic, while I agree a story is more important than graphics, this doesn't mean you can overlook either aspect too much when faced with money limits, else you're in a risk of your game being a failure. And imo, the video they showed was a disappointment in the latter aspect. It looked like it could be achieved in a PS3.

I have played one Shenmue game, I think it was on the original Xbox, I did enjoy it but it did not turn me into a super fan lol. 

I will certainly play a new Shenmue but if im honest it is not a franchise I am overly fussed about which is why I didnt back the Kickstarter. 

I'm a bit concerned regarding the graphics' apparent downgrade. I've never played a Shenmue before, but I've heard wonders.

Back to topic, while I agree a story is more important than graphics, this doesn't mean you can overlook either aspect too much when faced with money limits, else you're in a risk of your game being a failure. And imo, the video they showed was a disappointment in the latter aspect. It looked like it could be achieved in a PS3.

I find it more concerning that people are actually concerned that the graphics aren't good enough in a prototype video for a game that was still two and a half years away from it's projected release.  There are plenty of good reasons to be skeptical, but don't just grab the first thing you see.

The same people who cried for years wanting a Shenmue 3 are most likely the ones who aren't backing it. What a shame

Well that's just not fair.  I went insane waiting for any kind of Shenmue related news.  Gave up hope a few years ago.  When I saw the Shenmue III Kickstarter, from Mr. Yu Suzuki himself, I immediately backed it with the $175 tier.  The Kickstarter hit over $6 million backed, for crying out loud... I think the fans did their part.

Edited by PleaseHoldOn
  • Like 1

I find it more concerning that people are actually concerned that the graphics aren't good enough in a prototype video for a game that was still two and a half years away from it's projected release.  There are plenty of good reasons to be skeptical, but don't just grab the first thing you see.

I agree to a certain extent, but seeing nowadays how some videogames are getting downgraded in visuals after the first impressions we got, don't you think it is right to be a bit reserved for this too?

Besides, we just have a couple or three videos regarding Shenmue 3 and they have stated graphics might get downgraded and/or stay that way. He clearly says "compromise on the graphics" and "it doesn't have to look gorgeous". He gives the impression that he's failing to see the big picture of how gamers/critics fare nowadays and how much they take graphics into account. Story is important, but for many, graphics are important too.

The way this is going sounds like Shenmue 3 will be more of a hidden gem than a popular game, and it's audience will mostly consist of its fans. Sony knows it's a risky game, hence why it doesn't lend enough money to cover both aspects decently.

Personally, I admire Suzuki for choosing story over graphics, but that's just me, 1 gamer vs. more than a million that think otherwise.

I agree to a certain extent, but seeing nowadays how some videogames are getting downgraded in visuals after the first impressions we got, don't you think it is right to be a bit reserved for this too?

I guess I can appreciate that, but there's a difference between watching E3 footage that is so undeniably high quality that they'd most likely have to downgrade to get it running well on admittedly meager console hardware (compared to say, the PC they're running it on at the presentation)... and what essentially amounts to a prototype in a Kickstarter campaign.

It was just too obvious how barebones it was.  They didn't make that to impress anyone, they made that to have something to inspire faith in fans that it's actually being made after all this time.  I'm about as concerned with the graphical quality of the Kickstarter video, as I would be if they put out a 2 minute video of Ryo in wireframe.  Maybe it's just the fanboy in me though, I'd bet a lot of money (about $185 lol) the end result will be considerably better.

Edited by PleaseHoldOn
  • Like 1