Crashes & Save Corruption

PlayResponsibly

So I was having a good ol' time with Hitman tonight, got a little stuck on this one part in the Fight Night chapter and retried it a few times.  Then randomly during one of my tries, the game freezes and the saving circle starts spinning.  I waited a few minutes with it continuing, and attempted to back out into the XMB.  Nothing seems to work and it just kept on going.  So after about 10 minutes, I gave up and restarted my PS3 knowing I may corrupt my single save.

Fired up the PS3 and the game and found that yes, I had to start over which was fine with me.  I decided to grab my USB to back up my saves just in case I encountered it again.  Unfortunately, now I can't get past even the first prologue level.  I can play for a little bit but then at some point, it starts "saving" and freezes.  I didn't have trouble with the game before and maybe thought there was trouble on the part I was on.  I've checked the disc and it looks pretty spotless.  I let the game cool off out of the system and tried a few times.  I also deleted my game utility data, my save, and reinstalled and updated it.  I would just return to the store to replace it but for once I actually got rid of the receipt. :facepalm:

I'm wondering if anyone has had similar issues with the game and maybe know of a fix?

Should I just wait it out and let it load for longer?

Could it be my console?

If I got the game working, could I even copy my save on a USB to back them up?

I really liked the game when it was working well.  I was even a little excited to start over the first time now that I knew what I was doing.  Hopefully I can do something. :)

Edited by PlayResponsibly

Trust me when I say that it will leave you sterile and cripple your best friend if you keep playing it.

LMAO

OP, try deleting any patches and game data installed on the PS3 by the disc (I'M NOT TALKING ABOUT SAVE DATA!!)

Btw, you should have lost your story progression, but saved your challenges and shit progression, I suppose? I recall there are 2 different files for those.

To be honest I never had that problem with the game and I had finished it a few days ago and I have never heard of such a problem with the game. On the other hand I never heard of a ps3 doing that as well so I suggest you google your problem there has to be someone out there who had the same issue 

When I played this I never had any problems of this kind at all (maybe 1 freeze..).

Anyway as for the problem in question.

Since you said you deleted everything else related to the game, it shouldn't be causing any problems now.. you can try to play on another user (no psn ID needed) to see if it works properly there, but I really don't know what else you could do..

Just to check, when you deleted everything, you deleted the corrupted save file, right?

It no longer have the game image icon, because it's corrupted, but it will still mess the game saving code, and can give you that persistent kind of crash. (this did happen to me with a game in the past, but I forgot what game it was).

And this only happens with this game? Or did you got some odd crashes on other games? (disc based games, since you said this one was on disc).

Edited by Han_the_Dragon

LMAO

OP, try deleting any patches and game data installed on the PS3 by the disc (I'M NOT TALKING ABOUT SAVE DATA!!)

Btw, you should have lost your story progression, but saved your challenges and shit progression, I suppose? I recall there are 2 different files for those.

I believe I went through and did that.  I lost story and all my stats.  When I went into my saves file, it just has one master save which is probably challenges, stats, checkpoint on story, etc.

To be honest I never had that problem with the game and I had finished it a few days ago and I have never heard of such a problem with the game. On the other hand I never heard of a ps3 doing that as well so I suggest you google your problem there has to be someone out there who had the same issue 

Yes I was doing that at first when it happened, but I can't seem to find anything that I can do. I did find an article from 2012 about how this was happening to console versions of the game but that was towards release.  Maybe IO never got on a fix for it.

When I played this I never had any problems of this kind at all (maybe 1 freeze..).

Anyway as for the problem in question.

Since you said you deleted everything else related to the game, it shouldn't be causing any problems now.. you can try to play on another user (no psn ID needed) to see if it works properly there, but I really don't know what else you could do..

Just to check, when you deleted everything, you deleted the corrupted save file, right?

It no longer have the game image icon, because it's corrupted, but it will still mess the game saving code, and can give you that persistent kind of crash. (this did happen to me with a game in the past, but I forgot what game it was).

And this only happens with this game? Or did you got some odd crashes on other games? (disc based games, since you said this one was on disc).

Yeah, I completely wiped it.  All save files including corrupt, game utility, and 1.02 update.  I'm going to give it another go wiping it clean and retrying tonight.  I may try it on another username.  Well I did try some TLoU Factions for a little and that was running fine, so it's not my system failing to read discs.  Maybe MP isn't the best tester, I don't know.

Thanks everyone for the responses. :)

I found this and it states the issue but it's from right after the game released.

http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=131276

It's the patch notes message for 1.02 which I definitely downloaded before I ever played the game.  So if I have the patch, wtf is going on?  

Hopefully it was my boastful status update that jinxed it and I don't have anymore issues. :P

Edited by PlayResponsibly

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

If the patch v1.02 will help reduce the crashing and all that, why is the game still crashing and doing all that??

This is quite an old thread now but I have to mention that this keeps happening to me as well. It's preventing me getting the platinum. Might fire up the PS3 again at some point and give it another go. I enjoy the game enough to replay it.

Yep, I also have this problem. Mostly at Chapter 5 (Part 2 - The Vixen Club). I don't know what to do at all. This is stopping me getting the platinum. I think I have to delete everything and install them again, but on another user. C'mon guys, why is this happening?? Maybe someone should contact Square Enix for this?  

• 1 year later...

Sorry to hear some of you have had problems with Hitman: Absolution. May I ask if crashing / save corruption issues have occurred only with a physical version of the game? Or have some of you encountered those with the digital version as well? Also in case it matters, what region game have you had issues with? 

I'm considering buying Hitman: Absolution, but I'm worried after reading your stories about technical issues.

On 07/08/2017 at 6:01 PM, Eyjabria said:

Sorry to hear some of you have had problems with Hitman: Absolution. May I ask if crashing / save corruption issues have occurred only with a physical version of the game? Or have some of you encountered those with the digital version as well? Also in case it matters, what region game have you had issues with? 

I'm considering buying Hitman: Absolution, but I'm worried after reading your stories about technical issues.

I platted Hitman: Absolution yesterday and I didn't have any major technical problems with it. I played through it twice and I also did chapter select for challenges and evidences, so I spent some time with it. It did freeze on me once, but the save wasn't corrupted. I still backed up the save regularly to the cloud, just in case something bad might happen. I have the digital version, by the way.

Anyway, the game is good and, if you are interested in it, I don't think you should avoid it just because some people had problems with it. The platinum is also easy, which is a plus.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GoldenSurprise said:

I platted Hitman: Absolution yesterday and I didn't have any major technical problems with it. I played through it twice and I also did chapter select for challenges and evidences, so I spent some time with it. It did freeze on me once, but the save wasn't corrupted. I still backed up the save regularly to the cloud, just in case something bad might happen. I have the digital version, by the way.

Anyway, the game is good and, if you are interested in it, I don't think you should avoid it just because some people had problems with it. The platinum is also easy, which is a plus.

Thanks for your input! Also congrats on your shiny new plat! :) 

I'm looking forward to getting Absolution soon, probably as a digital version. Hopefully I'll be able to avoid the technical issues as well. Already got a HDMI switch so it's easier to manage all those consoles (PS4, PS3, Switch, Wii U) plugged to the same TV.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/14/2017 at 11:22 AM, Eyjabria said:

Thanks for your input! Also congrats on your shiny new plat! :) 

I'm looking forward to getting Absolution soon, probably as a digital version. Hopefully I'll be able to avoid the technical issues as well. Already got a HDMI switch so it's easier to manage all those consoles (PS4, PS3, Switch, Wii U) plugged to the same TV.

Until today I still have problems, but I'll be getting a new copy soon. I'm glad you've already started this game and don't get easily discouraged by the comments of how glitchy or buggy the game is. It works perfectly fine on Digital versions, and most complaints are done by the people who have discs. Not all disc versions are like that. I finished the game once without any problems and then tried to complete all the challenges on the 2nd playthrough and there it was! Crashes and unexpected bugs. 

You are also welcome to use my Trophy Guide for this game here on this site. I hope it is well-detailed and will help you get you platinum. Have fun! :D 

20 hours ago, ee28max said:

Until today I still have problems, but I'll be getting a new copy soon. I'm glad you've already started this game and don't get easily discouraged by the comments of how glitchy or buggy the game is. It works perfectly fine on Digital versions, and most complaints are done by the people who have discs. Not all disc versions are like that. I finished the game once without any problems and then tried to complete all the challenges on the 2nd playthrough and there it was! Crashes and unexpected bugs. 

You are also welcome to use my Trophy Guide for this game here on this site. I hope it is well-detailed and will help you get you platinum. Have fun! :D 

I've enjoyed Hitman: Absolution quite a bit. Only a few more trophies to get from Contracts mode to get platinum. I used your guide for unlocking some of the play styles. Thanks, it was quite helpful! :)

I had the game freeze on me once when returning to main menu after playing the Saints level. Waited for 20-30 minutes and nothing happened so I powered off my PS3. Luckily my save was fine but made a backup of my save file afterwards just in case. Aside from that one freeze I've had no issues with the European digital version.

• Like 1