SMB Bitching Thread

TheYuriG

On 3/30/2018 at 10:37 PM, afcwill97 said:

Guys honestly, i literally started playing meat boy as a joke because one of my friends told me it was literally the worst pain they'd ever experienced, so me being me, i decided to take a peek for myself, and severely regretted it after completing the first warpzone knowing there'd be no going back from that point on, so i just thought to myself, welp here goes my sanity. Now here i stand 10 months later, 12 no death runs completed with the plat for a game that i literally had no plans of even going near let alone getting the platinum for, not to mention I'm probably considered one of the most laziest unmotivated people when it comes to putting in hard work ?, but what I'm getting at here is that if i can do it, literally anyone else can ?. 

Congrats! I'm thinking of starting it soon, how many hours do you think it took you and how hard would you rate it out of 10? Would appreciate it if you can answer these two questions for me. :D 

I’m starting to feel that quick reflexes just by who you are greatly determine how long it will take you to get the platinum.

I can imagine a lot of older people in their 40s having a much tougher time on this game than someone who is college aged, young and plays sports on a regular basis. 

I found that keeping active and playing recreational activities and sports helps a lot in improving reaction times. Super Meat Boy has some tricky spots in some levels that require some skillful jumping and fast timing. 

This of course depends from person to person but since my mid 20s my metabolism has slowed down. I’m currently starting to go on an exercise schedule to improve my health for the future. 

Someone who doesn’t exercise and has slow reactions may have to spend a lot more time on this game than one who exercises. 

Then again it it comes down to practice, practice, practice. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Spaz said:

I’m starting to feel that quick reflexes just by who you are greatly determine how long it will take you to get the platinum.

I can imagine a lot of older people in their 40s having a much tougher time on this game than someone who is college aged, young and plays sports on a regular basis. 

I found that keeping active and playing recreational activities and sports helps a lot in improving reaction times. Super Meat Boy has some tricky spots in some levels that require some skillful jumping and fast timing. 

This of course depends from person to person but since my mid 20s my metabolism has slowed down. I’m currently starting to go on an exercise schedule to improve my health for the future. 

Someone who doesn’t exercise and has slow reactions may have to spend a lot more time on this game than one who exercises. 

Lucky me, very early twenties here ;) 

How many hours do you think you've spent on the game so far if you don't mind me asking?

8 minutes ago, Spaz said:

Reflexes have very little to do with it really for the no death runs... The entire game is trial and error and extreme muscle memory but on a whole other level than any other game you'll play. 

I do see your point though, people with bad reaction time can have a very hard time playing this casually.

Edited by SlimSanta94
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, SlimSanta94 said:

Reflexes have very little to do with it really for the no death runs... The entire game is trial and error and extreme muscle memory but on a whole other level than any other game you'll play. 

Yeah I know, but quicker reflexes help. Trust me I’ve played a lot of platformers, including some Super Mario hacks that were very difficult to beat. 

Ultimately it depends on the person playing.

7 minutes ago, Spaz said:

Yeah I know, but quicker reflexes help. Trust me I’ve played a lot of platformers, including some Super Mario hacks that were very difficult to beat. 

Ultimately it depends on the person playing.

They do but every level in this game minus maybe 7-18X & 7-10 play out more or less exactly the same and have the same patterns every time. Reflexes will help at first but eventually your muscle memory is going to take priority the more you learn the levels and the more consistently you get at them. 

To be fair a large majority of people with poor reflexes won't even try and complete this game let alone get the platinum trophy for it :/ 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, SlimSanta94 said:

To be fair a large majority of people with poor reflexes won't even try and complete this game let alone get the platinum trophy for it :/ 

I’m good at platformers but I’m not amazing at them. I just persevere longer than many. 

The games throws a real curveball at first because of the difficulty, but slowly tapers off the more you play. 

Once I’m done with Assassins Creed Syndicate I’m debating on whether to do Demons Souls or get back into Super Meat Boy.

@EpicNogg4 Super Meat Boy is very small in terms of file size. 

Shouldn’t take you hours just to download it.

Edited by Spaz

2 minutes ago, Spaz said:

I’m good at platformers but I’m not amazing at them. I just persevere longer than many. 

The games throws a real curveball at first because of the difficulty, but slowly tapers off the more you play. 

Once I’m done with Assassins Creed Syndicate I’m debating on whether to do Demons Souls or get back into Super Meat Boy.

@EpicNogg4 Super Meat Boy is very small in terms of file size. 

Shouldn’t take you hours just to download it.

Yeah just finished lol

Guy, whats this reflex/reaction time thing, I though this is just a difficult playformer when the levels are all fixed, what I mean is nothing is randomly attacking you so reflexes dont come into it

Are there a lot of random traps or random changes that occur in levels as u go through them that u must instantly react to??? 

Muscle memory and skill isnt it?? 

Plus i think reaction time on games are completely different to reaction times in real life physical stuff

A game just requires you to react with a finger movement, reacting and sending a signal all the way around ths body to move your head, leg, 2 arms, a hand, open your hand etc etc is a completely different ball game ;)

Definitely muscle memory and a matter of getting the worst levels out of the way First for me. 

And LOTS of patience! 

I never thought I'd get demon boy let alone zombie boy, even missile boy lols. Once I seen all those levels with the homing missiles I was like fuck this shit. 

I'm taking a big break from it before I try for girl boy and impossible boy, if I do that is.... 

• Like 1

Honestly, this has to be the most overrated platinum of all time. I feel as though a lot of people are quick to jump on the 10/10 bandwagon because it initially looks intimidating, which discourages them from putting in the time to learn the levels. This is why I rarely take difficulty ratings seriously, as a lot of people don't even make an attempt to learn the mechanics of a game before they submit their rating. 

The big game changer with SMB is the "exit to map" exploit. About to die? No problem. Just spam the pause button and you can continue your run as if nothing happened. Of course, it's an in game exploit, nothing wrong with taking advantage of that. I just don't see how the game can be considered as difficult as it's made out to be when there's an exploit as useful as that. 

Just my opinion though. I'm certain that anyone could plat the game if they were persistent enough.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Smzthy- said:

Honestly, this has to be the most overrated platinum of all time. I feel as though a lot of people are quick to jump on the 10/10 bandwagon because it initially looks intimidating, which discourages them from putting in the time to learn the levels. This is why I rarely take difficulty ratings seriously, as a lot of people don't even make an attempt to learn the mechanics of a game before they submit their rating. 

The big game changer with SMB is the "exit to map" exploit. About to die? No problem. Just spam the pause button and you can continue your run as if nothing happened. Of course, it's an in game exploit, nothing wrong with taking advantage of that. I just don't see how the game can be considered as difficult as it's made out to be when there's an exploit as useful as that. 

Just my opinion though. I'm certain that anyone could plat the game if they were persistent enough.

Its a great exploit to have and a life saver to use on the no death runs but the likes of most of the levels on the cotton alley it's none existent as you have no time to even think to do it if you fuck up on so many of the easiest fuck up spots.

While this game is undoubtedly frustrating and difficult, anything can be achieved if you never give up. It’s just having the will power and patience to keep going on the same levels after you’ve died over and over again ? Eventually you are bound to learn and improve. I’m gonna start playing this again on the vita for maybe an hour a day - so I don’t go insane! Lol

On a side note: Who’s looking forward to Super Meat Boy Forever ?

• Like 1

On 4/1/2018 at 2:13 PM, EpicNogg4 said:

Congrats! I'm thinking of starting it soon, how many hours do you think it took you and how hard would you rate it out of 10? Would appreciate it if you can answer these two questions for me. :D 

Haha thanks a bunch bro ? and if I'm being completely honest, i seriously wouldn't recommend starting it for your sake ?, but in all seriousness, this game easily gets an 9 - 10/10 not only because of the initial difficulty, but becuse the time it takes to learn each world before attempting a no death run (which for me probably overall averaged about 15 hours for each world before going for the no death runs ?) not to mention the stupid chokes you get during some levels... Believe me there's nothing worse than completing 19 levels in a run then dying on your 20th because of a choke ?but my advice to you would be to practise, practise, practise each level till you're near enough 100% confident you can get through it with no deaths. Best of luck to ya, and hope you join me in the plat club soon. ?

They do but every level in this game minus maybe 7-18X & 7-10 play out more or less exactly the same and have the same patterns every time. Reflexes will help at first but eventually your muscle memory is going to take priority the more you learn the levels and the more consistently you get at them. 

Exactly, other than a few odd levels, the game never really encourages reflexes and is mostly just muscle memory, and tests how much you've learned from each level as opposed to throwing you into levels with random traps or enemies coming at you without you knowing every time.

Edited by afcwill97
  • Like 1

On 4/1/2018 at 2:51 PM, Smzthy- said:

It is on all accounts highly overrated, but by no means is it easy.

I had to put in a lot of practice before I became comfortable with the mechanics. This is such in every game but a game like Super Meat Boy takes longer.

Any gamer can finish any Assassins Creed game because they are generally easy, they just take a while to finish if you happen to hate collectibles like I do.

Most AAA games fall within the 3 to 5 out of 10 in difficulty. Nothing piss easy like My Name Is Mayo or Mr Massagy, but nothing extremely difficult like Atari Classics Vol 2, or Crypt of the Necrodancer.

Not everybody can do Super Meat Boy, and it isn't just lack of skills either. It could be frustration, lack of commitment or someone just happens to hate platforming games.

I spent over 25 years of my life playing video games and much of my early childhood revolved around platforming games. I grew up on Super Mario and Sonic the Hedgehog along with a bunch of other platforming games so Super Meat Boy was basically a cinch for me. Still, I needed to do a lot of practice to get good at the levels. I managed to get up to Demon Boy in less than a week of trying, but ended up quitting for a long time after that due to frustration in my attempts on Zombie Boy. A couple months ago I went back and spent three nights going for it, and after about 12 - 14 hours I eventually earned the trophy.

There are a lot of levels where you can't hit pause so easily, due to tight spaces or simply not getting the timing down. On levels where there's a lot of space sure, you can easily exit to map. Plenty of levels in both Cotton Alley worlds have big spaces for you to maneuver in, which is more than enough to pause when you slip up. Perseverance is key to success, but just understand that not everybody will have the patience to go for this game, let alone earn the platinum in. 

Plus, I've seen you get the platinum for this game at least three or four times. I don't know if you are trying to prove something, or just show everyone that you're good at platformers. This is a good platinum to go for, but doing it all over again two or three times is just silly and overly redundant.

Edited by Spaz

1 hour ago, Spaz said:

Plus, I've seen you get the platinum for this game at least three or four times. I don't know if you are trying to prove something, or just show everyone that you're good at platformers. This is a good platinum to go for, but doing it all over again two or three times is just silly and overly redundant.

If he really enjoys the game what's the harm in playing it multiple times? Everyone loves certain games and he just happens to love this one, it's not "silly" if he enjoys it. Just my two cents...

4 hours ago, afcwill97 said:

Haha thanks a bunch bro 1f603.png and if I'm being completely honest, i seriously wouldn't recommend starting it for your sake 1f602.png, but in all seriousness, this game easily gets an 9 - 10/10 not only because of the initial difficulty, but becuse the time it takes to learn each world before attempting a no death run (which for me probably overall averaged about 15 hours for each world before going for the no death runs 1f602.png) not to mention the stupid chokes you get during some levels... Believe me there's nothing worse than completing 19 levels in a run then dying on your 20th because of a choke 1f605.pngbut my advice to you would be to practise, practise, practise each level till you're near enough 100% confident you can get through it with no deaths. Best of luck to ya, and hope you join me in the plat club soon. 1f609.png

Thanks man! I remember seeing you on my friends list playing it quite a bit, I think I'm going to do a few hours daily until I get to the difficult no death runs then save them for when I get some time off work :D

Edited by EpicNogg4
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Spaz said:

It is on all accounts highly overrated, but by no means is it easy.

I had to put in a lot of practice before I became comfortable with the mechanics. This is such in every game but a game like Super Meat Boy takes longer.

Any gamer can finish any Assassins Creed game because they are generally easy, they just take a while to finish if you happen to hate collectibles like I do.

Most AAA games fall within the 3 to 5 out of 10 in difficulty. Nothing piss easy like My Name Is Mayo or Mr Massagy, but nothing extremely difficult like Atari Classics Vol 2, or Crypt of the Necrodancer.

Not everybody can do Super Meat Boy, and it isn't just lack of skills either. It could be frustration, lack of commitment or someone just happens to hate platforming games.

I spent over 25 years of my life playing video games and much of my early childhood revolved around platforming games. I grew up on Super Mario and Sonic the Hedgehog along with a bunch of other platforming games so Super Meat Boy was basically a cinch for me. Still, I needed to do a lot of practice to get good at the levels. I managed to get up to Demon Boy in less than a week of trying, but ended up quitting for a long time after that due to frustration in my attempts on Zombie Boy. A couple months ago I went back and spent three nights going for it, and after about 12 - 14 hours I eventually earned the trophy.

There are a lot of levels where you can't hit pause so easily, due to tight spaces or simply not getting the timing down. On levels where there's a lot of space sure, you can easily exit to map. Plenty of levels in both Cotton Alley worlds have big spaces for you to maneuver in, which is more than enough to pause when you slip up. Perseverance is key to success, but just understand that not everybody will have the patience to go for this game, let alone earn the platinum in. 

I agree. By no means is it easy, but it is nowhere near as difficult as it's perceived to be. 

With the Exit to Map exploit, you can order you run based on your ability to use the exploit. All of the levels that can safely be paused, save them for the end. That way, if you do 13,14,15.. levels straight, you can play it safe with the ones you have left. I did this for my Girl Boy run, where I had to pause on 7-14 about 10 times.

And no, I've got nothing to prove. I still share the same opinion that I had of SMB from the first time I earned the platinum. Challenging, but not what I'd expect from a "10/10" game. If the exploit didn't exist, then it would undeniably be a lot harder. I don't go around posting about doing it X number of times because I couldn't care less. 

I'm far from being "good at platformers", I just happen to put the time in to learn the game and practice the levels, which is ultimately what it comes down to. 

It's silly to plat a game multiple times? What makes you say that? You certainly didn't have any issues doing Sound Shapes six times or Mayo twice, or doing Uncharted again. What's the difference?

We clearly did them again for the fun, nothing wrong with that.

Are you trying to prove that you're the greatest My Name is Mayo player of all time?

• Like 1

I just realized the difficulty in the guide is 10/10, no wonder people think twice about starting it with misleading info like that. I usually just look at the time estimate, if I think it's a fair amount of time I'll play it, if this was a 600 hours game I probably wouldn't have started it. Looking at you Crypt of the Necrodancer *shakes fist* ?

IMO this is an 8/10, if you think 60 hours is something you can spare then go ahead cuz it's a great game

• Like 2

6 hours ago, HardXDXtraga said:

I just realized the difficulty in the guide is 10/10, no wonder people think twice about starting it with misleading info like that. I usually just look at the time estimate, if I think it's a fair amount of time I'll play it, if this was a 600 hours game I probably wouldn't have started it. Looking at you Crypt of the Necrodancer *shakes fist* 1f620.png

IMO this is an 8/10, if you think 60 hours is something you can spare then go ahead cuz it's a great game

Yeah basically this. I was considering passing on this game because people seemed to give it a 10/10 difficulty which I assumed to get that rating you'd have to be basically a god to platinum it, but with time and effort most people could beat this if they really wanted to. Well at least I think so, I can't really say anything yet since I haven't actually gotten the platinum yet. 

Glad I did end up buying it though since it might be my favorite game on the vita so far. 

I'll say it:  I thought it was difficult and I don't have a problem with it being rated 10/10.  I don't get the trend of people calling difficult things not difficult.  That said, people shouldn't pass on the game because it's difficult to platinum.  If you like platformers, it's worth a play.

Also, I'm pretty sure the people that will be scared by seeing a 10/10 in a guide will probably also be scared by seeing a 8/10 and sub 1% trophies.  There's not much you can do.  Some people will just avoid things that don't look easy.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, dmland12 said:

I don't get the trend of people calling difficult things not difficult. 

It's just simply ego, if something is notably hard and someone walks in and says it's easy they think they sound super impressive but most people see right through that, especially since some games are just simply a challenge regardless of previous experience with 'similar' games or even the game itself (plenty of super hard games out there that even speedrunners and other experienced veterans regularly screw up on, can't just BS that you waltzed into one of those games and breezed through it).

However, it must be noted that I do agree with when people who vote some on these so-called 10/10 difficulty games lower than 10. Not because they're easy (numbers like 6+ would still be considered hard right?) but certain games do attain a reputation and status far beyond what they deserve. Game that always comes to mind with an exaggerated reputation is WipEoutHD, y know, the go-to game for anyone who wants to proclaim they can 100% 'hard games', If I'm not mistaken, more people have the platinum trophy in that than The Smurfs (too lazy to fact check right now, but I'm sure it was on the same page when sorted by total achievers)

But, difficulty is always subjective so, eh, so variable.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/3/2018 at 9:20 AM, Smzthy- said:

I agree. By no means is it easy, but it is nowhere near as difficult as it's perceived to be. 

With the Exit to Map exploit, you can order you run based on your ability to use the exploit. All of the levels that can safely be paused, save them for the end. That way, if you do 13,14,15.. levels straight, you can play it safe with the ones you have left. I did this for my Girl Boy run, where I had to pause on 7-14 about 10 times.

And no, I've got nothing to prove. I still share the same opinion that I had of SMB from the first time I earned the platinum. Challenging, but not what I'd expect from a "10/10" game. If the exploit didn't exist, then it would undeniably be a lot harder. I don't go around posting about doing it X number of times because I couldn't care less. 

I'm far from being "good at platformers", I just happen to put the time in to learn the game and practice the levels, which is ultimately what it comes down to. 

It's silly to plat a game multiple times? What makes you say that? You certainly didn't have any issues doing Sound Shapes six times or Mayo twice, or doing Uncharted again. What's the difference?

We clearly did them again for the fun, nothing wrong with that.

Are you trying to prove that you're the greatest My Name is Mayo player of all time?

I must say that not everyone is skilled at platformers. I enjoy platformers but I am no ninja master at them. I'm not all too skilled.

A 10/10 in my eyes is a game that requires a lot of dedication, possibly dozens if not hundreds of hours. Super Meat Boy doesn't require hundreds of hours, far from that, but you definitely need to be very focused. The Kid's warpzone is one such level, and I definitely know that not everybody can do that.

What I meant is you've platinumed the game a few times but then you decided to hide your other accounts. If someone really enjoys a game and wants to play through it again on an alt account I have no problem. I don't see what hiding your profile really proves, you've finished Super Meat Boy at least three times which is awesome. But why hide your account?

On 4/3/2018 at 9:41 AM, HardXDXtraga said:

I just realized the difficulty in the guide is 10/10, no wonder people think twice about starting it with misleading info like that. I usually just look at the time estimate, if I think it's a fair amount of time I'll play it, if this was a 600 hours game I probably wouldn't have started it. Looking at you Crypt of the Necrodancer *shakes fist* 1f620.png

I don't think a 10/10 is misleading. It doesn't mean the game is next to impossible because 10 out of 10 just shows the game is very difficult. You may not think so and I probably don't think so after having played all the levels, but I'm confident most people would rightfully rate Super Meat Boy a 10 out of 10.

A lot of people give up on it because it feels too intimidating and they don't like anything that is "extremely difficult". That's fine. Not everybody can play hard games and finish them (getting the platinums). Playing this game and earning a few trophies along the way is completely fine. Platinums in hard games like this aren't everyone's cup of tea.

On 4/6/2018 at 3:39 PM, dmland12 said:

I'll say it:  I thought it was difficult and I don't have a problem with it being rated 10/10.  I don't get the trend of people calling difficult things not difficult.  That said, people shouldn't pass on the game because it's difficult to platinum.  If you like platformers, it's worth a play.

Also, I'm pretty sure the people that will be scared by seeing a 10/10 in a guide will probably also be scared by seeing a 8/10 and sub 1% trophies.  There's not much you can do.  Some people will just avoid things that don't look easy.

I don't think people should pass on this either because it's a hard platinum. But I also don't think people should be discouraged because of it's difficulty. Many people probably played this game for fun, judging from the number of game owners. Though being a Playstation Plus game will always have a lot of gamers downloading and playing it.

Only a small handful of people have the platinum for this game and I completely understand a lot of people out there will probably never get all the trophies in Super Meat Boy. Those of you who have the platinum, like yourself, be proud you're one of the select few who has it.

Edited by Spaz
  • Like 3