SMB Bitching Thread

TheYuriG

thinking about whether or not I want to go for this...

I've been semi retired from trophies for a while now and haven't done a ball buster like this in years.  My first impression is that this game is approximately equal difficulty with ngs2 my 2nd most difficult platinum.

Beat dark world today.  I'm gonna keep moving forward and see what happens.

Edited by Darcness

2 hours ago, Darcness said:

thinking about whether or not I want to go for this...

I've been semi retired from trophies for a while now and haven't done a ball buster like this in years.  My first impression is that this game is approximately equal difficulty with ngs2 my 2nd most difficult platinum.

Beat dark world today.  I'm gonna keep moving forward and see what happens.

Just prepare yourself for LOTS of rage on the no death runs. 

For a while now I've had 2 trophies left for the platinum (the worst ones). Girl boy and impossible boy. I gob to the point of rage quitting and feeling I just can't be arsed with it and still do lols. 

I might get the motivation to go back to it one day though. Good luck if you do decide to go for it! 

SMB is the most popular hardcore platformer and it was labelled as the most difficult platform game (something like Dark Souls franchise is considered hardest action-adventure game), but it's not objective. Because I was a passionate Steam player some time ago, I discovered many hardcore platformers and other kind of games than can make SMB a cakewalk.

Angry Video Game Nerd Adventures has a "Bow Before the God of Video Games!" achievement for beating the whole game without dying, which is basically about 45-minute stressful marathon and hardcore from start to finish.

Splasher available on PSN again has an YOLO trophy called "Ninja Runner", and has trophies for beating every level in very strict time, which also requires a lot of dedication.

INK is also available on PSN, while easier to 100% than SMB, has one trophy called INKferno, requiring you to beat 25 levels and boss from start to finish without dying. As it doesn't sound that scary, in this game you don't see any floor and walls and you're forced to muscle memory every level to the max. Some people claim this trophy is harder than Impossible Boy.

Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams on Steam has "Harder Than Diamond" achievement and you need to beat whole game without dying - another 1,5 h marathon run that puts your concentration to the max.

The End Is Nigh (which will be released on PSN soon) also provides many hard as hell achievements and if "The Super Mega Cart - Unbreakable" achievement will become a trophy here, we will see another super hard plat.

And there we have Crypt Of The Necrodancer (many claims it's the hardest game to 100% ever), Cloudberry Kingdom on PS3 ("Shenanigans" trophy, but I don't know if it's harder than Impossible Boy) and some more. After considering all this, SMB difficulty seriously shouldn't be 10/10, but a solid 9/10 - let's remember that while Impossible Boy may not be the hardest trophy ever, there's 12 no-death runs in total and most of them require a lot of dedication.

• Like 1

Since I can only edit posts instead of deleting them entirely, I decided to re-edit my little moment of "throwing in the towel". I just got Brimstone Boy and I almost got Maggot Boy several times. I guess I just expected results too quickly. I'm still struggling with Missile Boy though. Specifically 3-4 X, 3-12 X, 3-17 X and 3-18 X. The others I have improved with despite constantly messing up.

Edited by DJY8898

Hi there guys.

I just dare myself to get this platinum. I really think it's not that hard at all.

I tried a few years ago on PSVITA, just for enjoying, and I learnt the hard way that games with "tiny characters" on PSVITA doesn't work well. I think Spy Chameleon on PSVITA is REALLY HARD, but on PS4 or Xbox One is really easy (got it on both consoles). Did it in 2 days or so. But in PSVITA was like 2 weeks.

Saying this. I download the PS4 version, I'm on World 3 and almost everything with GRADE A+. I'm not specially bad at it, I actually think that Downwell is hard.

I decided to get this Platinum Trophy because I think there are a lot of videogames harder than this. Let's see how it goes.

You can see my profile, I got a lot of easy games and hard games too, like everyone else I suppose.

Just got Maggot Boy the other day. Now things are getting really difficult for me. I'm still struggling on Missile Boy. Instead of progressing, I seem to be getting worse at it due to slipping a lot on the easier levels. I did a practice run on Demon Boy and it's just as bad; though I have gotten a bit better on some of the harder levels. I've also noticed a few players who are getting the Platinum flawlessly, it's both motivating yet demoralizing at the same time due to not being as good at No-Death runs as they are.

After 4 consecutive days of trial and error, Demon Boy is finally mine. Now I need to go back to Missile Boy before the curtains open for Zombie Boy. Also, for some reason, when I look over Super Meat Boy in the PS4 Menu, it still says that Blood Clot Boy is my top trophy earned despite Maggot Boy, Brimstone Boy and Demon Boy being rarer.

• Like 1

@reckscollie I saw your death count in SMB. Just remember one thing, you died that many times and got the Platinum. I on the other hand am currently getting my ass kicked by Missile Boy and Girl Boy. I haven't even tried Zombie Boy let alone Impossible Boy and I have died more than you have. But I'm still going to go for the Platinum despite how bad I am at this game.

https://imgur.com/a/bg4eiwp

49 minutes ago, DJY8898 said:

@reckscollie I saw your death count in SMB. Just remember one thing, you died that many times and got the Platinum. I on the other hand am currently getting my ass kicked by Missile Boy and Girl Boy. I haven't even tried Zombie Boy let alone Impossible Boy and I have died more than you have. But I'm still going to go for the Platinum despite how bad I am at this game.

https://imgur.com/a/bg4eiwp

Yeah lol. That was how clumsy I am. Keep pushing as it's the only way to get the platinum. Good luck!

People have said Light Cotton Alley is easier than Zombie Boy. I’m inclined to disagree. 

I haven’t played seriously in nearly six months but I can definitely earn the platinum in a few weeks if I practice a couple hours each day. Definitely something to go for. 

On 28/07/2018 at 1:55 AM, Spaz said:

People have said Light Cotton Alley is easier than Zombie Boy. I’m inclined to disagree. 

I haven’t played seriously in nearly six months but I can definitely earn the platinum in a few weeks if I practice a couple hours each day. Definitely something to go for. 

I thought zonbie boy was definitely harder. I managed girl boy in 2 days. The same cant be said for zombie boy.

On 7/17/2018 at 11:30 AM, ChristianHenares said:

Hi there guys.

I just dare myself to get this platinum. I really think it's not that hard at all.

I tried a few years ago on PSVITA, just for enjoying, and I learnt the hard way that games with "tiny characters" on PSVITA doesn't work well. I think Spy Chameleon on PSVITA is REALLY HARD, but on PS4 or Xbox One is really easy (got it on both consoles). Did it in 2 days or so. But in PSVITA was like 2 weeks.

Saying this. I download the PS4 version, I'm on World 3 and almost everything with GRADE A+. I'm not specially bad at it, I actually think that Downwell is hard.

I decided to get this Platinum Trophy because I think there are a lot of videogames harder than this. Let's see how it goes.

You can see my profile, I got a lot of easy games and hard games too, like everyone else I suppose.

how is your progress so far?

the not dying trophy for some maps is insane...you have to try and if fail too much just better to try another day.

On 28/07/2018 at 1:55 AM, Spaz said:

Yes I fully agree. It doesn't help that I hate using that character or meat boy. Cotton alley is a pain in the arse for sure, so many levels to easily mess up. I keep meaning to go back to it and have another go but.... Be assed lols. 

I’ve been playing a lot of SMB lately and have been trying for the no death trophies. Managed to get Missile Boy and Brimstone boy after a few days practice. Just need five rapture dark levels for 100%. I’m scared of what I have left though. It’s all the brutal no death runs.  Maggot boy won’t be bad but the rest ughh... 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ZachSmoke said:

I’ve been playing a lot of SMB lately and have been trying for the no death trophies. Managed to get Missile Boy and Brimstone boy after a few days practice. Just need five rapture dark levels for 100%. I’m scared of what I have left though. It’s all the brutal no death runs.  Maggot boy won’t be bad but the rest ughh... 

Missile Boy is no joke, so congrats on that!  Good luck going for the rest.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dmland12 said:

Missile Boy is no joke, so congrats on that!  Good luck going for the rest.

Thanks man. That trophy is brutal. Took me a day or so to get good enough to pull it off. I love the feeling of popping those hard iron man runs. I will keep at it until that platinum pings ?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Spaz said:

Just wait until you do Cotton Alley, then the real fun starts.

I'd like to see you go for it.

59 minutes ago, Nexuds121 said:

Been there. Done that.

I ALMOST got Girl Boy a couple hours ago. I now know it feels to die 3 levels away from beating the entire world. @Spaz Whenever you decide to start practicing for Girl Boy, do not leave 7-7, 7-10 or 7-16 as your final level. 7-7 is the most random (unless you're good with fans), 7-10 is for obvious reasons - missiles, but 7-16 can ruin a perfect run due to too much pressure. I can see myself getting Girl Boy tomorrow or the day after. After that, I'll be going back to Missile Boy, then I'll try my luck for Zombie Boy.

1 minute ago, DJY8898 said:

I ALMOST got Girl Boy a couple hours ago. I now know it feels to die 3 levels away from beating the entire world. @Spaz Whenever you decide to start practicing for Girl Boy, do not leave 7-7, 7-10 or 7-16 as your final level. 7-7 is the most random (unless you're good with fans), 7-10 is for obvious reasons - missiles, but 7-16 can ruin a perfect run due to too much pressure. I can see myself getting Girl Boy tomorrow or the day after. After that, I'll be going back to Missile Boy, then I'll try my luck for Zombie Boy.

7-7 and 7-16 mostly fall to how lucky you are. 7-10 can be easily screwed if you mistime your jumps against those missiles.

I've gotten some of the levels down pat. 7-1 through 7-3 aren't that bad and fairly easy once you get used to them.

However I recommend getting 7-20 out of the way early as it's the longest one of the bunch. Very, very easy to die on those small gears just before reaching Meat Boy due to nerves and temptation.

10 minutes ago, DJY8898 said:

Uh What?

On 8/1/2018 at 5:42 PM, Nexuds121 said:

Uh What?

Exactly what I said. I almost got the trophy but I succumbed to pressure and slipped.

On 8/1/2018 at 5:35 PM, Spaz said:

7-7 and 7-16 mostly fall to how lucky you are. 7-10 can be easily screwed if you mistime your jumps against those missiles.

I've gotten some of the levels down pat. 7-1 through 7-3 aren't that bad and fairly easy once you get used to them.

However I recommend getting 7-20 out of the way early as it's the longest one of the bunch. Very, very easy to die on those small gears just before reaching Meat Boy due to nerves and temptation.

I've been on 7-20 for so long that the only thing that can kill me is clumsiness and what you just mentioned. I've been stuck on Girl Boy for 9 days now (I can admit I'm more slippery with controls due to being a victim of palmoplantar hyperhidrosis and not being as competent as other players) but I've definitely improved. Levels such as 7-1 through 5, 7-11, 7-12, 7-13 and 7-15 are very easy. 7-6, 7-8, 7-9, 7-18 and 7-19 are only difficult if I'm frustrated.

Edited by DJY8898

10 fucking days of trial, error and frustration and Girl Boy is finally mine. Persistence and diligence is a virtue. @Spaz If I can get Girl Boy, then I guarantee that you can as well. Missile Boy or Zombie Boy, here I come. Also, Girl Boy is MUCH rarer but my PS4 still says Blood Clot Boy is my top trophy earned. Does anyone know why it does that?

Edited by DJY8898
  • Like 1