SMB Bitching Thread

TheYuriG

Just now, OJ9999vr said:

Did it!

Best to skip forward at some parts

Changed up my strategy once again, and it seemed to work out much better. Good luck @DJY8898

Next up Girl Boy, and then i won't have to worry about only using meat boy/bandage girl.

Congrats!  Girl Boy should seem easy by comparison.

7-7x last?  I would have launched myself into a sawblade for sure if I tried that.  It's just so easy to die there if you're just slightly too far to the right.  I mean it's not a hard level by comparison to the rest, but just so easy to choke at.

One interesting thing about watching someone else do this is seeing all the differences in strategy etc.  After you practice things one way quite a lot, watching someone do something else just feels wrong.  Lots of "No, no don't do that!" moments.  But, what works for you is what works.

7 hours ago, OJ9999vr said:

Changed up my strategy once again, and it seemed to work out much better. Good luck @DJY8898

Easier said than done. But thanks regardless. I should be done in a few days; longer if I keep messing up, succumbing to frustration and acting on impulse (ended up dying on easier levels). I'm slowly getting better at 7-1X while 7-14X and 7-15X are almost deathless. Though my progress hasn't changed much, here it is:

Guaranteed Success: 7-2X, 7-3X, 7-4X, 7-5X, 7-6X, 7-7X, 7-10X, 7-11X, 7-12X, 7-18X

Almost Guaranteed:  7-14X, 7-15X, 7-17X

Decent: 7-13X, 7-19X, 7-20X

50/50: 7-1X, 7-8X

Volatile (Some days good, some days bad): 7-9X, 7-16X

Edited by DJY8898

9 hours ago, dmland12 said:

Congrats!  Girl Boy should seem easy by comparison.

7-7x last?  I would have launched myself into a sawblade for sure if I tried that.  It's just so easy to die there if you're just slightly too far to the right.  I mean it's not a hard level by comparison to the rest, but just so easy to choke at.

One interesting thing about watching someone else do this is seeing all the differences in strategy etc.  After you practice things one way quite a lot, watching someone do something else just feels wrong.  Lots of "No, no don't do that!" moments.  But, what works for you is what works.

Thanks

It seemed to me to be the easiest level (besides 7-4X) and i was very confident on the pixel placement, untill i actually got there. I did some «safe» tries, then went to look it up on a video, but the screen was to small and resolution a bit too bad to see it. So i decided, screw it, i’m doing the next pixel again (which i wasn’t confident in) and it worked.

Can agree on the no, no, no part. That’s one of the reasons why i uploaded my run, some strategies works best for some and others don’t. So it’s all about picking the ones you like best. Although i had some extremly close calls, like the 7-17X ending

4 hours ago, DJY8898 said:

Easier said than done. But thanks regardless. I should be done in a few days; longer if I keep messing up, succumbing to frustration and acting on impulse (ended up dying on easier levels). I'm slowly getting better at 7-1X while 7-14X and 7-15X are almost deathless. Though my progress hasn't changed much, here it is:

Guaranteed Success: 7-2X, 7-3X, 7-4X, 7-5X, 7-6X, 7-7X, 7-10X, 7-11X, 7-12X, 7-18X

Almost Guaranteed:  7-14X, 7-15X, 7-17X

Decent: 7-13X, 7-19X, 7-20X

50/50: 7-1X, 7-8X

Volatile (Some days good, some days bad): 7-9X, 7-16X

If you keep messing up at the same levels over and over, i suggest to do them earlier in the run. That helped me out alot, went from a 12/20 max. to 15/20, to deathless. Like you 7-1X was very unconsistent, then after doing it early on it went from a bad to decent

1 hour ago, OJ9999vr said:

If you keep messing up at the same levels over and over, i suggest to do them earlier in the run. That helped me out alot, went from a 12/20 max. to 15/20, to deathless. Like you 7-1X was very unconsistent, then after doing it early on it went from a bad to decent

As of now, 7-1X, 7-8X, 7-9X, 7-13X, 7-16X, 7-19X and 7-20X are the major roadblocks. I did as you said by beating them earlier; but out of 7, I can beat 5 or 6 but I die on the final level that is considered the hardest for me. A step in the right direction nonetheless.

Edited by DJY8898

41 minutes ago, DJY8898 said:

As of now, 7-1X, 7-8X, 7-9X, 7-13X, 7-16X, 7-19X and 7-20X are the major roadblocks. I did as you said by beating them earlier; but out of 7, I can beat 5 or 6 but I die on the final level that is considered the hardest for me. A step in the right direction nonetheless.

Just wondering, what’s your hardest level?

And i’m not telling you how to play, before i did all my hardest first then leaving the easier ones for later. Then i did a few in order, but mainly atleast 2 of my hardest to start with. The thing you want to avoid is doing all the same levels at first, eventually you’ll lose you touch on the easier ones too. Don’t be afraid to leave a difficult one for later in the run, that is if you’ve played it a bunch.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, OJ9999vr said:

Just wondering, what’s your hardest level?

And i’m not telling you how to play, before i did all my hardest first then leaving the easier ones for later. Then i did a few in order, but mainly atleast 2 of my hardest to start with. The thing you want to avoid is doing all the same levels at first, eventually you’ll lose you touch on the easier ones too. Don’t be afraid to leave a difficult one for later in the run, that is if you’ve played it a bunch.

To be honest, I don't have a level I consider the hardest. The levels I mentioned above are the only levels I have trouble with. There has been a few times where I was only 5 or 6 levels away from completion but the remaining levels were difficult and I died towards the very end.

1 hour ago, DJY8898 said:

To be honest, I don't have a level I consider the hardest. The levels I mentioned above are the only levels I have trouble with. There has been a few times where I was only 5 or 6 levels away from completion but the remaining levels were difficult and I died towards the very end.

Oh, gotcha. Whatever you consider doing, you've defenetly got the skill needed to get a no death run.

7 hours ago, OJ9999vr said:

Oh, gotcha. Whatever you consider doing, you've definitely got the skill needed to get a no death run.

Thanks. On another note, as I've said before, my gameplay goes up and down. Some days I do extremely well, while others I die about 2000 times in one sitting due to lack of focus and not learning from my mistakes. But as @lilpain97,  @S_y_n_e_IR_g_Y and @KaKrackle said, as long as I obtain the Platinum, the number of deaths and the number of days it takes me to get it won't matter. Though on day 26 of trying to get Impossible Boy, my skills seem to be deteriorating.

Edited by DJY8898
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, DJY8898 said:

Thanks. On another note, as I've said before, my gameplay goes up and down. Some days I do extremely well, while others I die about 2000 times in one sitting due to lack of focus and not learning from my mistakes. But as @lilpain97,  @S_y_n_e_IR_g_Y and @KaKrackle said, as long as I obtain the Platinum, the number of deaths and the number of days it takes me to get it won't matter. Though on day 26 of trying to get Impossible Boy, my skills seem to be deteriorating.

Yeah, deaths doesn't matter. Won't be unimaginable that i had 10k just from impossible boy. And i completely get you with the deteriorating skills, at the time i've worked 3 weeks with 6 full days and on top of that lack of sleep. Some days i worked late to early so i had no time to play there, then falling asleep when i got home again. Basically setting me back a bit. One thing i noticed was my runs being very good earlier on in the play session and very late.

Don't know if it's any help, but it's defenetly possible.

Pros: I went from 15/20 to 17/20 on Cotton Alley Dark and because my hands are shaking so much, I decided to put the PS4 into rest mode.

Cons: 7-13X, 7-16X and 7-19X are my final levels.

All three levels I have a high chance of slipping. Either I beat them all and achieve the Platinum or I die and I have to start again.

Edited by DJY8898
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, DJY8898 said:

Pros: I went from 15/20 to 17/20 on Cotton Alley Dark and because my hands are shaking so much, I decided to put the PS4 into rest mode.

Cons: 7-13X, 7-16X and 7-19X are my final levels.

All three levels I have a high chance of slipping. Either I beat them all and achieve the Platinum or I die and I have to start again.

If it’s of any help my best before before 20/20 was 17/20 too. Died on 7-17X with 7-18X and 7-20X to go.

I would never have risked those 3 for last, but if you’re confident enough i don’t see any issues with it.

Almost there, just a little more left.

Edit: What did i even write here, wasn’t 7-20X at all. Last level was 7-7X

Edited by OJ9999vr

Sorry if it's somewhat off-topic but matte27_ has returned to grinding for (this time) sub 34:30 on the Dark Ending (on twitch) and it's quite enjoyable to watch for a bit but, more importantly, maybe some people here may pick up some strats for their runs that will prove useful. Be warned, though, his streams are high-adrenaline, unlikely to put you to sleep if that's what you watch twitch for :D

Never realized Girl Boy would be so much easier then Impossible Boy, 2nd day and i'm already at 11/20 (died on 7-12). Beating my previous of 4/20. Worst level is defenetly 7-20 and then 7-7. Weirdly enough 7-10, 7-11 and 7-15 aren't that bad at all. Also i need some more practice on the earlier levels and the "easier" ones.

• Like 1

GOD FUCKING DAMMIT! I managed to beat 7-13X but I died halfway through 7-19X because of dropped inputs. The Platinum slipped from my fingers! If it weren't for nerves and excessive sweating, I would've been fucking done with this game. Progress 18/20.

Edited by DJY8898

43 minutes ago, DJY8898 said:

GOD FUCKING DAMMIT! I managed to beat 7-13X but I died halfway through 7-19X because of dropped inputs. The Platinum slipped from my fingers! If it weren't for nerves and excessive sweating, I would've been fucking done with this game. Progress 18/20.

Ugh, it sucks to get that close and lose it.  I hope you keep at it and have better luck on your next deep run.

25 minutes ago, dmland12 said:

Ugh, it sucks to get that close and lose it.  I hope you keep at it and have better luck on your next deep run.

Thanks. I'm far too annoyed to try again right now since I died on every level several times after I lost my progress. The only upside is that I progressed from 15/20 to 18/20. I should be done in a few days with the right mindset.

Edited by DJY8898

Done with Girl Boy too!

Only had to exit to map once on the last level. About 5-10min before this i failed a 20/20 because i thought 7-7 was done, leaving it for last by an accident and i almost did it too. I got too nervous on the last fan bounce and turned the wrong way. At least i don't have to worry about cotton alley anymore.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, OJ9999vr said:

Done with Girl Boy too!

Only had to exit to map once on the last level. About 5-10min before this i failed a 20/20 because i thought 7-7 was done, leaving it for last by an accident and i almost did it too. I got too nervous on the last fan bounce and turned the wrong way. At least i don't have to worry about cotton alley anymore.

Nice job. Impossible Boy is still kicking my ass but I've played the Cotton Alley Dark World for so long that I now see it as a very demanding yet very doable trophy.

12 minutes ago, DJY8898 said:

Nice job. Impossible Boy is still kicking my ass but I've played the Cotton Alley Dark World for so long that I now see it as a very demanding yet very doable trophy.

Thanks, i fear rapture dark might be harder for me. But i’ve not had that much practice yet. Still have to finish the warp zones and bandages before i go for it, just to have all characthers. Got everything on rapture, leaving hell, salt factory, hospital and forrest, in that order.

• Like 2

Wow. I don't know how, but I somehow managed to beat 7-6X all the way to 7-20X in one sitting but I died on 7-1X from going too much to the left when I had to jump between the two sawblades. If I had beaten that level, 7-2X and 7-5X would've been the only threat since I've lost touch on those levels that were once considered deathless.

Edited by DJY8898

My progress seems to be going up and down at this point:

Deathless:  7-3X, 7-4X, 7-6X, 7-7X, 7-10X, 7-11X, 7-14X, 7-15X, 7-17X

Decent: 7-13X

OK: 7-8X, 7-9X, 7-19X, 7-20X

Developing: 7-16X

Ruined a 100% guaranteed No-Death Run: 7-1X

Once deathless now I'm dying a lot: 7-2X, 7-5X, 7-12X, 7-18X

Furthest No-Death Run: 18/20

I wonder if it's simply because I'm tired or I'm burnt out on SMB after trying for 31 consecutive days. That just shows how obstinate I can be when I want something. But then again, my excessive sweating has become more of an interference than before. Ever since my 18/20 run, I can't seem to get past 6/20 at this point. Though this happened to him 2 years ago, I'm basically in @KaKrackle's position now with Impossible Boy issues. The only difference is I'm patient but easily discouraged. But who knows, I might get it when I least expect it. ?