Hardest Platinum To Date

TigressLion

It"s hardly comparable, Meat boy released on 2010 and Cotn on 2015 on Steam, in 5 years maybe Cotn will be at 0,10%, nobody can say, also there a bunch of pc players who already knows Meat boy perfectly, 5 years of potential trainings, learning the betters ways, make a lot of videos-guide, that help a lot, and there are many other factors possible (Like the number of game Owners = ps+ release (Meat boy) or not = more potential plats)...  You can't compare games like many psnprofil users are accustomed to do, it depend on too many things.

Super Meat Boy doesn't take long to learn. And sure, there will be more people who complete NecroDancer, but that fraction will be small. But as someone who has plat'd Meatboy and played through a lot of NecroDancer (up to Aria low%), NecroDancer is much, much harder. I'm still shocked I completed the low% Aria run today, and it's basically because I got very lucky with fighting the Golden Lute (no horse spawns, so I killed the Lute using the fast method).

Someone mentioned on the NecroDancer forums that only 12 people have completed a Coda run. I'm not sure about all chars low% run, though. Video guides do help for basic fighting strategies  and boss battles if you don't know how to do them, but that's about it. I relied a lot of video guides of Meatboy, but not so much with NecroDancer. The gameplay is simple, but the game is designed to fuck you.

As ggamer mentioned before, what makes Meatboy easier by comparison is that everything is constant. You have the same obstacles doing the exact same thing over and over. NecroDancer changes every time because there are millions of unique seeds. Even some boss battles change as well (Deep Blues is the most difficult for low% runs, in particular, because it's almost a unique fight every single time). Also, you may be 15 minutes into a iron man run in Meatboy and die to start over. But you could be hours into marathon runs in NecoDancer and die on the dumbest thing and have to start over, taking you hours just to get back to the same place you were before. For example, doing 10 wins in a row with cadence, I made it to 9 wins and died on something dumb. Then I made it 7 wins in and picked up an item by accident (because you're constantly hopping around) that kills you instantly if you receive a hit. On a low% run, if you get hit once with any of the characters in the later levels, it's instant death (and you have to do 9 of those in a row, but you can skip beats, except for Aria).

While the completion % will increase, I doubt it will increase to the same % as SMB. SMB can be done in a short amount of time (some people have completed it in a few days to just under a week), but it's taking those people ~ a month just to earning up to Aria runs. 

Fuck sakes 5 hours? That's ridiculous xD

Yeah, it was brutal. Cadence runs take anywhere from 20-30 minutes when picking up items and visiting shops. Man, that was depressing dying on that 10th run but I ended up getting it eventually, taking another 4-5 hours haha. Awful....

Edited by Beatmania2dxs
  • Like 1

Here's a nice comparison page about the difference in difficulty between NecroDancer and Super Meat Boy. Steam logs real-time hours (not time elapsed since the day of purchase, like this website).

Super Meat Boy: (avg time to 100% is ~113 hours)

http://astats.astats.nl/astats/Steam_Game_Info.php?AppID=40800

Necrodancer:

http://astats.astats.nl/astats/Steam_Achievement_Info.php?AchievementID=16&AppID=247080&SteamID64=76561197972266045

Avg time to 100% is 751 hours, lol. Granted it's a smaller sample size and it isn't tracking all players. As a reminder, there is no grinding required in this game. It's pure skill. It's that hard dude.

Edited by Beatmania2dxs

• 2 weeks later...

Super Meat Boy doesn't take long to learn. And sure, there will be more people who complete NecroDancer, but that fraction will be small. But as someone who has plat'd Meatboy and played through a lot of NecroDancer (up to Aria low%), NecroDancer is much, much harder. I'm still shocked I completed the low% Aria run today, and it's basically because I got very lucky with fighting the Golden Lute (no horse spawns, so I killed the Lute using the fast method).

Someone mentioned on the NecroDancer forums that only 12 people have completed a Coda run. I'm not sure about all chars low% run, though. Video guides do help for basic fighting strategies  and boss battles if you don't know how to do them, but that's about it. I relied a lot of video guides of Meatboy, but not so much with NecroDancer. The gameplay is simple, but the game is designed to fuck you.

As ggamer mentioned before, what makes Meatboy easier by comparison is that everything is constant. You have the same obstacles doing the exact same thing over and over. NecroDancer changes every time because there are millions of unique seeds. Even some boss battles change as well (Deep Blues is the most difficult for low% runs, in particular, because it's almost a unique fight every single time). Also, you may be 15 minutes into a iron man run in Meatboy and die to start over. But you could be hours into marathon runs in NecoDancer and die on the dumbest thing and have to start over, taking you hours just to get back to the same place you were before. For example, doing 10 wins in a row with cadence, I made it to 9 wins and died on something dumb. Then I made it 7 wins in and picked up an item by accident (because you're constantly hopping around) that kills you instantly if you receive a hit. On a low% run, if you get hit once with any of the characters in the later levels, it's instant death (and you have to do 9 of those in a row, but you can skip beats, except for Aria).

While the completion % will increase, I doubt it will increase to the same % as SMB. SMB can be done in a short amount of time (some people have completed it in a few days to just under a week), but it's taking those people ~ a month just to earning up to Aria runs. 

Yeah, it was brutal. Cadence runs take anywhere from 20-30 minutes when picking up items and visiting shops. Man, that was depressing dying on that 10th run but I ended up getting it eventually, taking another 4-5 hours haha. Awful....

I second this, and this is also coming from a guy who platted SMB.

Crypt of the Necrodancer is waaaaay harder than SMB. To be honest I think this is the hardest platinum out there. I haven't seen any other platinum so hard as Crypt of the NecroDancer.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Right now NOBODY has the Crypt of the Necrodancer platinum. I've watched people play Super Meat Boy and to be honest, even with the obstacles it doesn't seem too dreadful, but like any old NES game it will probably take a thousand tries. Luckily Super Meat Boy isn't one of those games where you're 10-20 hours in, you screw up somewhere and have to start the entire game over again.

Most of you guys on here just out of high school or are only in your early 20s are probably too young to remember, but some of the NES games from back in the day were pretty damn difficult. Ghosts N Goblins, Battletoads, Mega Man 1, Silver Surfer were just a few of a generation of platformers that were pretty unforgiving. There was no internet to look for guides back then either so that made things a lot more challenging.

You may argue that these games are a lot easier now because of guides and whatnot, and I agree. They were well known for their difficulty. Crypt of the Necrodancer looks stupidly hard, but I guess I'm in the wrong place. I'm pretty casual and easy going when it comes to most games which is why most of the games on my profile are fairly easy. I've broken a few NES controllers in the past because of a 'tough' game, and usually won't go for a tough game (Super Meat Boy etc etc etc) unless I'm really determined to get the platinum. If games like Super Meat Boy are difficult and Crypt of the Necrodancer is next to impossible, then we could probably say that the Dark Souls franchise, Demon Souls and Bloodborne are easygoing games in comparison.

• Like 1

Right now NOBODY has the Crypt of the Necrodancer platinum. I've watched people play Super Meat Boy and to be honest, even with the obstacles it doesn't seem too dreadful, but like any old NES game it will probably take a thousand tries. Luckily Super Meat Boy isn't one of those games where you're 10-20 hours in, you screw up somewhere and have to start the entire game over again.

Most of you guys on here just out of high school or are only in your early 20s are probably too young to remember, but some of the NES games from back in the day were pretty damn difficult. Ghosts N Goblins, Battletoads, Mega Man 1, Silver Surfer were just a few of a generation of platformers that were pretty unforgiving. There was no internet to look for guides back then either so that made things a lot more challenging.

You may argue that these games are a lot easier now because of guides and whatnot, and I agree. They were well known for their difficulty. Crypt of the Necrodancer looks stupidly hard, but I guess I'm in the wrong place. I'm pretty casual and easy going when it comes to most games which is why most of the games on my profile are fairly easy. I've broken a few NES controllers in the past because of a 'tough' game, and usually won't go for a tough game (Super Meat Boy etc etc etc) unless I'm really determined to get the platinum. If games like Super Meat Boy are difficult and Crypt of the Necrodancer is next to impossible, then we could probably say that the Dark Souls franchise, Demon Souls and Bloodborne are easygoing games in comparison.

Crypt of the Necrodancer is one of the most challenging games I've played. I think it does win most challenging platinum of all time. It takes a massive amount of dedication. I tried Coda for a short amount of time, but it is extremely hard and requires practicing for hours a day if you want to do it. Video guides help on minor strategy, but there are many aspects about Coda that require focused muscle memory. 

Doing an all characters run low% requires you to not make a mistake in a 2 hour time period. 

• 5 months later...

You guys forgot about one game: BADLAND.

I tried Super Meat Boy, Crypt Of Necrodancer and Badland, and for me Badland wins the hardest plat-to-date award. There are single bronze trophies which are criminal, almost impossible with rarity under 0,1% (Double Trouble which i got today is 0,06%, which is 10 times more rare than Plat On Meat Boy). The game itself is easy to play and you can finish all levels in one day, BUT all missions in single player + local coop mode + those bronze trophies are just ...yeah almost impossible.

This is my personal opinion and without a doubt all those games are extremely difficult. If you like a challenge check out BADLAND and maybe you agree with my opinion after a while ;) The good thing is: BADLAND is at least addicting, i really like to play this game everywhere on the VITA. Oh and nobody has the plat yet, not yet lol.

Edited by dwproject

• 1 month later...
On 10/24/2016 at 11:59 PM, dwproject said:

Double Trouble which i got today is 0,06%, which is 10 times more rare than Plat On Meat Boy

Are you saying SMB Plat rarity was about 0.60% back in 10/24/2016 when you posted this? Impossible, since the time I started it (summer 2016), it remained constant ~0.10% ± 0.01%. So it's not 10 times more rare than SMB Plat, like you are saying - maximum 1.5-2 times at that time =) And providing that as of now Double Trouble is 0.08% and SMB is still 0.10%, their rarity is almost equal.

On 10/24/2016 at 11:59 PM, dwproject said:

Oh and nobody has the plat yet, not yet lol

Looks like somebody did it on 8th Nov 2016. I.e. now it does not look to be so hopeless any more =)

Ok, so BADLAND and upcoming Crypt of the Necrodancer... Looks like now I know what to pick up next after SMB, thanks guys! =)

On 12/22/2016 at 0:40 PM, scFlinT-us said:

Are you saying SMB Plat rarity was about 0.60% back in 10/24/2016 when you posted this? Impossible, since the time I started it (summer 2016), it remained constant ~0.10% ± 0.01%. So it's not 10 times more rare than SMB Plat, like you are saying - maximum 1.5-2 times at that time =) And providing that as of now Double Trouble is 0.08% and SMB is still 0.10%, their rarity is almost equal.

Looks like somebody did it on 8th Nov 2016. I.e. now it does not look to be so hopeless any more =)

Ok, so BADLAND and upcoming Crypt of the Necrodancer... Looks like now I know what to pick up next after SMB, thanks guys! =)

You're right man! My fault. Im sorry. SMB wasn't a 0,60%, its around 0,1%. I don't know what i was thinking of. About the Badland-Plat, it seems that some people hacked it on PS3, they all got removed from psnprofiles, which means its still at 0,00%. As far as i know, there is not a single confirmed platinum owner so far. Yeah try out this game, its a blast and after SMB you will find it some kind of relaxing - at first :D

On 12/29/2016 at 5:06 AM, dwproject said:

About the Badland-Plat, it seems that some people hacked it on PS3, they all got removed from psnprofiles, which means its still at 0,00%. As far as i know, there is not a single confirmed platinum owner so far.

Wow, interesting! Yeah, have just checked it and it's indeed back to 0,00%. Poor guys. Well, not really.

It sounds like even if I find one more crazy guy to do it, I will have to record everything on the camera to prove that I'm not a cheater :D

On 12/29/2016 at 5:06 AM, dwproject said:

Yeah try out this game, its a blast and after SMB you will find it some kind of relaxing - at first :D

Yep, will definitely try it, thanks.

13 minutes ago, scFlinT-us said:

Wow, interesting! Yeah, have just checked it and it's indeed back to 0,00%. Poor guys. Well, not really.

It sounds like even if I find one more crazy guy to do it, I will have to record everything on the camera to prove that I'm not a cheater :D

Pretty sure badland is glitched to be impossible, I wouldn't try. You can trade some intel about crypt of necrodancer with @Floriiss though

• Like 1

On 30-12-2016 at 4:07 PM, scFlinT-us said:

Yep, will definitely try it, thanks.

On 30-12-2016 at 4:21 PM, TheYuriG said:

Pretty sure badland is glitched to be impossible, I wouldn't try. You can trade some intel about crypt of necrodancer with @Floriiss though

If I remember correclty Badland was glitched indeed. But there was also something with completing all levels in co-op mode. Co-op mode can't be done online and has to be done splitscreen. To be really good at a game is one thing, but to find a partner that's on the same level as you are is a whole different story.

Crypt of the NecroDancer is definitely the hardest platinum out there. No doubt about it. This game even gives me nightmares, and I've completed a lot of hard games. What makes this game super challenging are two things.

Coda. This is character in crypt that combines three characters (Aria, Monk and Bolt) into one. You're probably thinking well uh okay what does that mean exactly? Well just take a look at the video below. In Crypt you move on the beat. Every character has their own "special ability". Now Aria dies when losing the beat. This means either pressing too fast, too slow or missing one beat. Monk dies when picking up gold and Bolt has double speed. Now combine that into one and you've got Coda. 

There's a reason that I've put the beginning of this link on one of the Boss fights. This boss is Death Metal and this boss is notorious for having the fastest song in the game. If I remember correctly this song is 350 or 360 Beats Per Minute. Remember that Coda dies even after missing one single beat? Yep, exactly.

Furthermore there's a trophy that requires you to complete an all character run (Nine characters in a row) without picking up any items or using any shrines. This basically means that most enemies can kill you within one hit. One false move and you're dead. Now try to keep this up for two to three hours. If you thought that Coda was already insane, trust me this one is even worse. I've got a Japanese friend on PSN that got really close to it. He finished eight characters and died on his 9th character (I feel really sad for him). This was roughly 2-3 months ago. Guess what? He never has been able to even get close to achieving that. This trophy can take up months. 

One last thing. Every level and boss fight in this game is different. Just like The Binding of Isaac this game has so called seeds. This means that there are over millions of different level lay-outs. Each play trough will be different. That's what makes it really hard as well. You never know what you're gonna get this time.

Edited by Floriiss
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/31/2016 at 8:46 PM, Floriiss said:

Co-op mode can't be done online and has to be done splitscreen. To be really good at a game is one thing, but to find a partner that's on the same level as you are is a whole different story.

Minor correction: it's not splitscreen - everybody in the party plays on the same screen =) And yes, I have already tried the coop with 2 gamepads - I just put the 2nd gamepad next to me and controlled only my character. So the 2nd character constantly remained dead, but in the end of the level it still counted like I beat it in coop. So, at least, it seams that it's possible to beat all the coop levels by yourself (if you have 2 gamepads, of course). Moreover the game controls allow you to have a gamepad per hand (L1 + L3 in left hand and R1 + R3 in right hand), which in turn allows you to dive into two-hands madness and try to get some missions/clones, though I realize that it sounds kinda unreal.

P.S.  thanks to you NecroDancer already frightens me =)

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Three people have the platinum in Crypt. Coincidently they're all from Japan.

I used to watch people from South Korea and other countries in the East who played games like Starcraft and Dota 2. It's just insane how fast they were in playing. 

I'm sure they could definitely platinum both SMB and Crypt, if they were trophy hunters.

• 11 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Yeah is the very hard platinium is true, but the harder ? Nah, crypt of necrodancer, Cloudberry kingdom ( yeah is 100% but i don't Care ) Kohime Embou or asseto corsa, is différent game type exept for Cloudberry, but for a part of player SMB IS hard but Super street Fighter IV is harder, only the preference of game type has an important for me